Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
I genuinely do not understand how a company can so consistently fail at itemization. A good game doesn't need a thousand different sword and armor variants that players will never use because five minutes later they'll just stumble upon the next marginally better item. Instead of a vertical progression, it's far better to expand itemization horizontally, so that never is a "best of the best" set of items, but different tools to tackle different challenges.

It's doubly retarded because a core concept of the Witcher is preparation for battle, which should also include choosing the right weapon and armor combination (even though it's unrealistic for a guy to be able to carry so many swords and armor sets, but fuck realism).

With 2077 it's even easier to justify a smaller, but more focused pool of items that encourages development of diverse weapons and equipment with different advantages and disadvantages. You could then encourage the player to customize his own weapons by seeking out gunsmiths to equip the weapons with unique features, and if you really need some "unique magical sword" type of thing there's always high-end corporate weapons and prototypes as quest rewards or loot from different fights, or using HUE-tier DIY weapons during the hobo phase.

I swear to God, hair dye causes brain damage, it's the only explanation for why they had the bright idea to ape looter-shooters like Borderlands for their itemization mechanics despite constantly beating people over the head with muh immersion bullshit.
You're acting like you're genuinely don't understand, why. No, CDPR here acting consciously, like any corporation. The upper management is not gamers to think about gameplay details (what was the name of muh vision manager, Adam Badowski?). If many people liked Diablo and Borderlands before and if it worked for The Witcher 3 sales, why fixing itemization now? It's a paid work. Let's just say it goes against "muh vision". People offended by this no longer work at CDPR on CP2077.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It's really fascinating to see the same patterns repeating with every game. We now reached the point where people have to wake up and realise Cyberpunk 2077 is not the game of your dreams. It happened to all the hyped-up games people projected their dreams onto a game and then suddenly realise when they see gameplay it's still a commercial product. At this point Cyberpunk, 2077 could be the single best game ever and lots of gamers would still be disappointed.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
only retarded retards thought that this game will have deeper RPG mechanics than Witcher series.

it's like expecting suddenly a child to resolve differential equations after completing kindergarten.

does anyone have the picture with Cyberpunk 2077 pillars as bulletpoints at the reveal in 2012?

Curratum

It's really fascinating to see the same patterns repeating with every game. We now reached the point where people have to wake up and realise Cyberpunk 2077 is not the game of your dreams. It happened to all the hyped-up games people projected their dreams onto a game and then suddenly realise when they see gameplay it's still a commercial product. At this point Cyberpunk, 2077 could be the single best game ever and lots of gamers would still be disappointed.

I didn't follow Withcer 3 pre-launch at all, got it out of curiosity and it turned out to be the best piece of digital media produced in the 15 years prior. I imagine people are setting themselves up for even bigger disappointment by hoovering up every bit of news for 2077.

Ot4YdfM.gif

Looks like late PS360 popamole.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Looks like late PS360 popamole.
Nonsense. PS360 popamole (Syndicate 2012) had actual gunplay.
Germany build it's present economy on death od milions of people and destroying whole countries.
It's called imperialism, retard.
Just what poland planned for soviet russina in 1920 and sided with Germany to plan this again. Eat shit and pay reparations yourself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
only retarded retards thought that this game will have deeper RPG mechanics than Witcher series.

it's like expecting suddenly a child to resolve differential equations after completing kindergarten.

does anyone have the picture with Cyberpunk 2077 pillars as bulletpoints at the reveal in 2012?

The game does have deeper RPG mechanics than the Witcher series. People are upset because they're comparing it with imaginary dream game, not the Witcher.

Curratum

Again, to me, the biggest problem is the damage model and the shooting. If I am playing a game where I can repeatedly shoot a dude in the face with an AR-caliber weapon and the dude is still alive, this will destroy the experience for me far more than any of the issues Codex sees with the game.

Also, let's look at that second and a half animated gif:

Ot4YdfM.gif

1) TWO bars in the upper left corner
2) one flashing winged HUD icon below them
3) health bar, damage numbers and text floating up from the enemy
4) an ungodly, huge crosshair
5) red arrow enemy awareness / activity (?) indicators left of the crosshair
6) popup red [?] and [!] squares on the left edge of the screen
7) a very chunky minimap down left
8) a floating yellow objective marker over the car
9) quest name and current objective up right
10) ammo counter and firing mode bottom right

I'm surprised to see CDPR outdo Ubisoft when it comes to designing the shittiest, most overdone, screen-filling HUD imaginable, but they've done it!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Again, to me, the biggest problem is the damage model and the shooting. If I am playing a game where I can repeatedly shoot a dude in the face with an AR-caliber weapon and the dude is still alive, this will destroy the experience for me far more than any of the issues Codex sees with the game.

I don't like bullet spounges either but these are cyber enhanced dudes. Not to mention that it's a RPG/FPS hybrid so you're gonna see stuff like that, they have to balance player vs character skill.

Maybe with the right builld/gear you'll be able to mow down people more easily like in a regular shooter.

Curratum

I don't like bullet spounges either but these are cyber enhanced dudes. Not to mention that it's a RPG/FPS hybrid so you're gonna see stuff like that, they have to balance player vs character skill.

Maybe with the right builld/gear you'll be able to mow down people more easily like in a regular shooter.

I understand the design decisions behind it, I just don't like it personally.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
People mentioned here, that game will have "Borderlands like" itemization, does this mean that weapons will requare a level to use? If so, fuck this shit.

Also I noticed bulletsponge enemies in game too, fuck this shit.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I want to make a confession, I hoped that if tabletop creator consult them - there will be slightly better rpg elements than in Witcher series, but apparently I was an idiot. A daily reminder not have any hope for games again.:negative:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game does have deeper RPG mechanics than the Witcher series.

and what are those deeper RPG mechanics than Witcher 2, 3?

EDIT: I asked the shill a pertinent question and all he's able to is to tag my question
I don't know why I even bothered to engage in dialogue with a simian :)

Last edited:

Prime Junta

and what are those deeper RPG mechanics than Witcher 2, 3?

Sneaking, hacking, netrunning, different types of combat (gunplay, brawling, swordplay).

Twitchers have a few varieties of swordplay and a few mechanics that support swordplay (alchemy, signs). CP2077 has alternative approaches to quests that are contingent on your character builds. It also appears that different combat styles are also contingent on your character build -- a brawler won't be built the same play as a gunman who will likely be different than a cyberninja.

Whether those are deep enough is obviously a matter of opinion but if you can't tell that CP2077 has deeper RPG mechanics than the Twitchers then you've just outed yourself as a retard.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I don't mind the graphics, though. CDPR just fucked up again with presentation. The blur artifact looks like a bad DLSS filtering with untrained neural network. The game was upscaled from 60% of its native resolution, after all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is what I think often happens with official gameplay footage video for first-person RPGs on the Codex.

The player who is playing the game in the video invariably uses a controller. This means that the character walks in a straight-ahead, steady fashion which to many players looks "cinematic" and cool, but to others makes it look like the game is "on rails".

Then they assume that if the game is on rails, it must also be a "cinematic, linear action game". Any choice they see must be fake. Any ability usage must be scripted. WTF this isn't an RPG!

Basically publishers need to release a "mouselook version" of gameplay footage, which has the player spazzing around, bunny-hopping everywhere and clicking on stuff. "See guys, it's real, it's real!"

Prime Junta

Sneaking, hacking, netrunning, different types of combat

these are RPG mechanics?

ARE YOU RETARDED?

Nope, I'm not retarded.

And if you had bothered to read the next line, you wouldn't have needed to ask. But since you obviously are a retard, here it is again full detail and very short words.

CP2077:

Netrunning need netrunner build

Gunslinger need gunslinger build.

Brawler need brawler build.

Ninja need ninja build.

Netrunner can't into brawling.

Gunslinger can't into ninjaing.

Netrunner build, gunslinger build, brawler build are RPG mechanics.

Witchers:

Geralt always swordsman. Some Geralt can't into alchemy, some Geralt can't into signs, but Geralt always can into swordplay.

Compare:

Witcher has Geralt always swordsman.

CP2077 has V as gunslinger, brawler, netrunner, or ninja.

Witcher RPG mechanics only support 1 type of gameplay with 2 styles of support mechanics.

CP2077 mechanics support 4 types of build with 4 styles of gameplay, maybe more.

If Grotesque has 1 apple and Prime Junta has 4 apples, then Prime Junta has 3 more apples than Grotesque.

Therefore CP2077 have deeper RPG mechanics than Witchers.

If this was too complicated for you I'm afraid I can't help you, some concepts just are too complex for some minds to grasp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom