Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Along with doth proclaiming too much how they like massive tits, I'd say we have some covert BBC lovers. And I'm not talking about UK television.

The problem is not just the boobs. Is the fact that a demon who is the embodiment of male desire should have traits that allow her to be attractive to her preys. As for the skin color of the characters, i don't care.

--------------------

About mods, one mod that i recommend for Diablo 1 is Belzebub mod

They add necromancer who can raise zombies, skeletons and revive the dead, added assassin, implemented a cooler version of barb and added a lot of new content.
necromancer.png

And quests too > https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/quests

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
On account of the announcement I got a itch to scracth so I gave yet another chance to Diablo 2. After clearing one area once again I felt very dumb so I reinstalled Diablo, not before checking the internet and finding The Hell.
I'm not quite far into it yet, just killed Leoric, but I reckon it's a very enjoyable mod which adds many new enemies, two new classes, new quests and makes the loot more interesting while upping the difficulty (once the game is completed in normal difficulty, which is already revamped, another is unlocked, up to a third -according to the developer it's not just soloing MP as in Hellfire but new difficulty levels specially designed for SP). Having a blast with it. There's more stuff to it than I have found yet, so check the spoiler for more details.

Is it compatible with the GOG version?

Shadenuat

Arcane
We all know why they're there, let nobody pretend otherwise.

Trying to take the moral high-ground by defending bottom-feeding, soulless virtue signaling mandated by corporate does you no favors.
Sorcerer_%28Diablo_I%29.png
"Although practitioners of the mystic arts are scarce within the often superstitious and religious lands of the West, many magi have made the pilgrimage from the Far East to see for themselves what horrors lie beneath the ruined Cathedral of Khanduras. The veiled Brotherhood of the Vizjerei, one of the eldest and most dominant mage-clans of the East, has sent many of its acolytes to observe the dark events unfolding in Khanduras first hand.

The Vizjerei, known for their brightly colored Turinash, or spirit-robes, have taken a keen interest in both gathering knowledge of demons and seeing them slain. The Vizjerei elders hope that their acolytes will learn the secrets of the dark evil that they sense growing in the West and can destroy it. The possibility of discovering long-lost tomes of magical knowledge within the confines of the labyrinth has also captured the interest of many wandering Sorcerers.

Most magic in Khanduras is in the form of enchanted items and elixirs. The Eastern Sorcerers have developed a greater understanding of spellcasting than the other classes, and while a Vizjerei neonate knows only the simplest of spells to start, he can expect to rapidly grow in power as he discovers new incantations. All Sorcerers possess the ability to recharge spell staves by drawing power from their surroundings and channeling them through the staff."

In some way, D2 dealing away with tomes and adding ez mana regen broke the possibly better part of its lore imo.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
-monster glow bright when struck/affected by skills
-monsters have flashy visual effects, weapons on fire wtc, debuffs
-skills have over the top visual effects.

(...)

As someone on the internets said, the "gameplay assisting visuals" are over the top and in your face
That was already a problem as far back as D2, with glowy auras and curses everywhere, and everything becoming blue and green from cold and poison dmg.

This kind of stuff, along with floaty numbers only indicates that someone didn't do their one job and failed to bake proper feedback into game's actual visuals.

Floaty numbers, healthbars and status effect markers are fucking cancer of modern visual game design.

The more realistic artstyle and lightning wich convey grimness is wiped out when combat starts with flashy over the top tone of the combat.
:obviously: :salute:

Let me add flashes on hit and trails from weapon swings. Diablo II had none of that.

Also, the HP bar was positioned in the uppermost middle, as to not clutter the screen.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Err you do realise Lilith in this picture is during the point where she seduces Eve right? Eve takes the forbidden fruit because Lilith tricks her into it. There's nothing about M'lady in this, no men involved.
...that was sarcasm on my part. It was a jab at those who wanted the Diablo Lilith to have ginormous gazongas.

DraQ

Arcane

(...)

As someone on the internets said, the "gameplay assisting visuals" are over the top and in your face
That was already a problem as far back as D2, with glowy auras and curses everywhere, and everything becoming blue and green from cold and poison dmg.

This kind of stuff, along with floaty numbers only indicates that someone didn't do their one job and failed to bake proper feedback into game's actual visuals.

Floaty numbers, healthbars and status effect markers are fucking cancer of modern visual game design.

The more realistic artstyle and lightning wich convey grimness is wiped out when combat starts with flashy over the top tone of the combat.

Let me add flashes when you hit the monsters (distracting) and trails from weapon swings. Diablo II had none of that.

Also, HP bar(s) were positioned in the uppermost middle, as to not distract the player.
I can only accept (subtle) weapon trails.
HP bars also suck, especially today, when you can easily make the damage visible through models and animations.
The only places for bars and numbers are:
  • Edge of the screen (for player's resource pools)
  • Menus

Shadenuat

Arcane
Monster slowly becoming a bit brighter if you target them with attacks could have worked. The flash effects hurts.

Actually I think D2 had this at least on mouse hover. D1 highlighted the edges of mobs instead.

Machocruz

Arcane
Blizzard letting loose their inner wee

(...)

Let me add flashes when you hit the monsters (distracting) and trails from weapon swings. Diablo II had none of that.

Also, the HP bar was positioned in the uppermost middle, as to not clutter the screen.
Blizzard want to be a dragon dysgenic Jap game dev

DraQ

Arcane
In some way, D2 dealing away with tomes and adding ez mana regen broke the possibly better part of its lore imo.
I think the optimal way would have been either:
  • Having a tree of class specific abilities and generic tomes
  • Having all abilities conferred by tomes or equivalent (split between specific and generic)
  • Having tomes root ability trees of which there are many
Alternatively
  • Having tomes and equivalent as gear loadout of casters (not consumable), usable when held in inventory.

Hellion

Arcane
Diablo's soundtrack overall is unsurpassed to this day, IMO. Electric guitars and industrial ambient sounds create a dark and gothic atmosphere like no other. Sends chills down my spine every time.

Of course, the industry chose to just keep Diablo's hack-slash elements and drop its music, with everything eventually sliding towards full orchestra. You gotta have orchestral soundtrack for your fantasy titles, because of reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom