Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't get Gothic to run on my PC at all, even with the player kit, so this may well be my only chance of experiencing it.

erm, have you played any of the patched digital releases or looked at the pc gaming wiki article??

pomenitul

Arbiter
giphy.mp4

The only appropriate rating was 'despair'.

Seriously, though, I have no idea why this museum piece won't run on my PC. I've made countless attempts, and at best managed to play for a couple of minutes before it crashed. I'll have to try again some time – on paper, at least, the Gothic games should be right up my alley.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seriously, though, I have no idea why this museum piece won't run on my PC. I've made countless attempts, and at best managed to play for a couple of minutes before it crashed. I'll have to try again some time – on paper, at least, the Gothic games should be right up my alley.

I don't know if is a good suggestion but do you have Linux? I use dual boot with Linux and M$ win. Some old games, i run on Linux wiht PlayOnLinux + Wine and gothic 1/2 is a game that i can't make run on M$ windows

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've run both the Steam and GOG versions of Gothic in Windows 10 64 without issues. I just had to install a couple of patches first.

Here's a thread on GOG that explains what most people need. - https://af.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/gothic_series_patches_mods_tweaks?as=1649904300

Do you know a good tutotiral about how to install REturning 2.0 in English? I tried EVERYTHING 5 times, on Linux(wine), on M$ Windows 7, M$ win 10(desktop) and nothing...

----------------------------------

Anyway, looks like the survey and feedback thread ended "As we have gotten a ton of feedback and that we now have closed the survey, I will close this topic." https://steamcommunity.com/app/950670/discussions/0/3145133021635977487/?ctp=31

Will they produce a "remake"? IMO the ideal is : A proper remaster(not remake) > Nothing > this remake.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDR13

Arcane
I've run both the Steam and GOG versions of Gothic in Windows 10 64 without issues. I just had to install a couple of patches first.

Here's a thread on GOG that explains what most people need. - https://af.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/gothic_series_patches_mods_tweaks?as=1649904300

Do you know a good tutotiral about how to install REturning 2.0 in English? I tried EVERYTHING 5 times, on Linux(wine), on M$ Windows 7, M$ win 10(desktop) and nothing...

I'm sorry, I don't. I've never used any content mods with Gothic.

Yeah this piece of rancid shit was awful. THQ should go back to the drawing board after taking the devs out to see the rabbits.

Although to be fair, Gothic never needed a remake. And clearly Piranha Bytes agree because they've been making Gothic over and over again for many years now.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Oh Jesus they are going to do it. Prepare to get pissed lads https://steamcommunity.com/games/950670/announcements/detail/1710742657409580199

Yes, we do it! The Gothic Remake is going to happen
After unambiguous feedback, THQ Nordic will head into full production on the Gothic Remake

8960d7bdb2d9f3645b2b22c3cb29de0c8353d831.png

Next step is to set up a Barcelona based studio and head into main production

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, February 19th, 2020: Just a little over two months after releasing a playable teaser for the Gothic Remake and asking the players for their feedback, the answer is clear: The fans are up for a new "old" Gothic game and the vast majority (read: 94,8%) was in favour to develop a remake of the iconic German RPG Gothic, originally released in 2001.

Over 180.000 players have played the playable teaser so far. On the evening (CET) of February 16 2020, THQ Nordic took the survey offline, and hereby publicly releases the raw data of the survey, as well as highlight graphs. With more than 43.000 answered surveys and over 9.000 (yes, really!) reviews on Steam and various discussions on all social media platforms, there is enough data to check.

Eager to check for yourself? As we want to start a transparent and open production with the community from the very start of the project, we are happy to offer you the results of our survey in a neat PDF file or - for the people who really want to dig into the raw data - the entire dataset with all 43.111 participants included.

Download the PDF: http://n.thq.com/sQC130qiBae
Download the raw data (.csv and .xlsx in a zip): http://n.thq.com/vIF030qippZ

Enjoy and Stay tuned!
Your THQ Nordic Team

edit: I'm triggered as fuck reading these graphs. How could so many retards give this shit 4s and 5s? It's like they were just saying it was awesome because they wanted more Gothic, not because it's was actually good. You sent the wrong message you fucktards!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Why do I get a feeling it was just a stunt to post BIG NUMBERS for their project and prove there's interest while not really caring for anything else.

Over 180.000 players have played the playable teaser so far. On the evening (CET) of February 16 2020, THQ Nordic took the survey offline, and hereby publicly releases the raw data of the survey, as well as highlight graphs. With more than 43.000 answered surveys and over 9.000 (yes, really!) reviews on Steam and various discussions on all social media platforms, there is enough data to check.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Nothing about this says "don't change a thing". They can complain about shortcomings and still want them to develop a remake.

In fact, it's necessary to also give negative feedback if you want them to fix it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What the...? I mean, why. Just do a low-effort EE for G1-2, increase resolution, bring the controls and UI to the standards of the first Risen and voila. Not this shit.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
What the...? I mean, why. Just do a low-effort EE for G1-2, increase resolution, bring the controls and UI to the standards of the first Risen and voila. Not this shit.

Mostly agree but I want better graphics than an EE could provide

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That smells like bullshit. The forums were literary full of people complaining about its shortcomings, but apparently 95% were like *Don't change a thing and continue this*?

I mean yes, there may be a silent majority for it here. Not a 90+ percent one. Not a chance in hell.
it doesn't say "continue this the exact same" people probably really want a remake but with all the feedbacks in mind. that is the exact reason for the demo. they won't just pull it off and kill it so easy. that said i really hope they continue the remake with some major changes to make it more faithful to the original. if not fuck them all to death.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
eorf1z.png

This fucking comment. I hate normies so fucking much. Not just because he liked this shit but also because he wants to fucking preorder and get preorder bonuses.

it doesn't say "continue this the exact same" people probably really want a remake but with all the feedbacks in mind. that is the exact reason for the demo. they won't just pull it off and kill it so easy. that said i really hope they continue the remake with some major changes to make it more faithful to the original. if not fuck them all to death.

"Based on what you played" is close enough that most people should have answered no

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

DaWolv
"I can't believe the graphs I've reading in this announcement.
The majority of people gave every aspect of the game 4s and 5s? Seriously? It's like they just gave good ratings because they wanted a new Gothic and not because the teaser was actually good. I tried to warn people not to do this. Prepare yourselves for something just like this awful teaser. I'm horrified. Everything that the OG fans hated about this teaser is going to stick" https://steamcommunity.com/app/950670/discussions/0/1742267854809566431/

He nailed it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
DaWolv
"I can't believe the graphs I've reading in this announcement.
The majority of people gave every aspect of the game 4s and 5s? Seriously? It's like they just gave good ratings because they wanted a new Gothic and not because the teaser was actually good. I tried to warn people not to do this. Prepare yourselves for something just like this awful teaser. I'm horrified. Everything that the OG fans hated about this teaser is going to stick" https://steamcommunity.com/app/950670/discussions/0/1742267854809566431/

He nailed it.

That was me so thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom