Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
honest question: are you guys ESL?
ESL?
English as a second language.
"protocol" seems completely fine to me in that sentence.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/protocol
Meaning "diplomatic rules of etiquette" in English first recorded 1896, from French; general sense of "conventional proper conduct" is from 1952.
You know words can have more than one definition, right?
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=protocol
n.
a.
The forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state.
b. A code of correct conduct: safety protocols; academic protocol.
The first copy of a treaty or other such document before its ratification.
3. A preliminary draft or record of a transaction.
4. The plan for a course of medical treatment or for a scientific experiment.
5. Computers A standard procedure for regulating data transmission between computers.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
ESL?

Meaning "diplomatic rules of etiquette" in English first recorded 1896, from French; general sense of "conventional proper conduct" is from 1952.
True rpgs only use medieval latin as language. Contemporary english is absolute decline

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Protocol doesn't sound medieval-ish, to put simply. It's more Renaissance-era+ wurd.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
ESL?

https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=protocol
n.
a.
The forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state.
b. A code of correct conduct: safety protocols; academic protocol.
The first copy of a treaty or other such document before its ratification.
3. A preliminary draft or record of a transaction.
4. The plan for a course of medical treatment or for a scientific experiment.
5. Computers A standard procedure for regulating data transmission between computers.

Yeah, more than one definition and most of them from 20th century institutions.

This is as bad as when bronze age woman told me something is overrated in Tyranny.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron

Protocol doesn't sound medieval-ish, to put simply. It's more Renaissance-era+ wurd.

In this context it is a 20th century term.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So we already know the writing is bad. Now it is confirmed the henchmen are garbage too.

It begs the question just who is the target audience for this cuckoldry simulator? How does Larian look at PoE2 and think to themselves "Well better copy the bad decisions they made there."

I think this game is made for people to buy and not finish maybe just play the start. If you look at the steam stats for DoS2 and PF:K people only play a little bit of the start of the game before they stop. They knew they don't have to make a good game or that the majority of customers will finish the game based on the statistics.

So if the majority of players 80%+ aren't going to finish the game why not fill the game with literal shit?

boy you really are giving it a go aren't you. Cannot decide if saddest truth would be a) you are a troll with all the subtlety of a forklift attempting to shuffle a deck of playing cards or b) you really are just the hardest trying of the tryhards on the block. I mean who on this board would even get offended by this, you can't even eke out an edgy-emote from anyone
I actually got triggered, but couldn't write a coherent response due to how triggered I was. Thankfully I managed to calm down and now I no longer feel the urge to kill something. My condition is getting better.

Giths are not exactly "mediaval-ish", they deal with spaceships and stuff

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
In this context it is a 20th century term.
Exactly, protocol is misplaced wurd for that context.

See this:

220px-Alpha_Protocol_cover.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut

hey let's play guess the game
"What? Ah... yes, m'lady Ama. I meant no offense. Ah, <CHARNAME>, I would suggest you obey proper protocol and present your dagger before your better."

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if Githyanki have urban planning and gentrification in their towns? Do they have coworkings and open-spaces? Do their ships have catering services on board? Do they have fitness facilities?
Do they complain to human resources department about workplace harassment?

Shadenuat

Arcane

hey let's play guess the game
"What? Ah... yes, m'lady Ama. I meant no offense. Ah, <CHARNAME>, I would suggest you obey proper protocol and present your dagger before your better."
sounds like Deadfire :M
ima just russian but I would have used something like "have the courtesy of" or something like that

Why you people keep insisting that this setting is equivalent to our medieval times? The amount of retards who don't know shit about this setting, but keep going lore-police on BG3 is baffling.

mondblut

Arcane
I don't even understand the logic in dialogue

gith: i am gith, i hate slugs, i know cure

cleric: LIES GET RID OF HER

.......why? whats the reason for gith to lie about slugs? she's gith.
alien comes out of nowhere to earth
alien: you have a slug in your brain, come with me
priest: bro don't do it that person is a devil

If Earth was already home to 350 sentient alien races and the priest openly worshipped all that is evil, that wouldn't make much sense, yeah.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't even understand the logic in dialogue

gith: i am gith, i hate slugs, i know cure

cleric: LIES GET RID OF HER

.......why? whats the reason for gith to lie about slugs? she's gith.
alien comes out of nowhere to earth
alien: you have a slug in your brain, come with me
priest: bro don't do it that person is a devil

If Earth was already home to 350 sentient alien races and the priest openly worshipped all that is evil, that wouldn't make much sense, yeah.
But they're not "alien races". Even tieflings are at best an oddity, like chinese seeing a white blond haired blue eyed man.
The odds of a random person in the FR seeing a githyanki before is near zero. And if they do know what a Githyanki is, then they have even more reason to act the way she did — did we all forget that they're basically evil violent invaders?

Salvo

Arcane
This truly is the thread of threads.

I am gonna re-read all the 468 pages in order to make an index of all the retarded shit that went down. We can't forget.

Try not to die of the virus first, mate. I hear you polentashits have it real hard up there.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
This truly is the thread of threads.

I am gonna re-read all the 468 pages in order to make an index of all the retarded shit that went down. We can't forget.
I think we need special "wall of shame" thread, with screenshots of most dumb comments, so people who went on full meltdown here wasn't able to boast how "monocled and prestigious" they are in other threads.

Codex Year of the Donut
How does it sit with people knowing that there's an 80% complete Black Isle 'Baldur's Gate 3' (though they weren't making it a sequel to BG2) sitting someone in some company archives (hopefully)? That's the real deal.

I don't understand how the people who work on something like that can just walk away from it and leave it be for all these years. And I don't get why WotC wouldn't permit a game that close to completion to be finished, maybe under a special license. There's a significant chunk of the CPRG golden age sitting unreleased between Black Isle's next Baldur's Gate game and the real Fallout 3, which was also almost finished its development. I hope that both those projects get finished up and released someday. Maybe Beamdog can negotiate the right to get them out.

And I know Fallout New Vegas uses much of Fallout 3's planned story. But New Vegas' FPS style is a different experience, and the graphics and most everything else on Bethesda's engine aged terribly (and that's despite already looking off-putting in their day).
Don't really care.
An "80%" finished game is a game nowhere near being finished, pareto principle.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
So, the executive producer for Larian's "Baldur's Gate 3" apparently couldn't think of a single way in which Larian's "BG3" is actually a sequel to the series:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview
So, I think that in spirit it's still the successor of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Because there are so many things that people who did play and like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 will still recognise in the new one. It's still about your party. It's still about big personalities clashing with each other and relationships. It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules - even if you haven't played D&D in 20 years. You will still recognise all the spells, et cetera. So, to me it's a true sequel, but we are bringing it into the 21st century by saying, "Look, it's glorious 3D."
So, Larian's "BG3" is a sequel because it's a party-based RPG with colourful character and with combat in it - and the combat uses a D&D ruleset. He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't.

There are loads of games that fit Walgrave's description that aren't called Baldur's Gate series games, and there are thousands that fit the description if not counting the D&D ruleset qualifier. Walgrave's claim is the equivalent of saying that any first-person game where you play as a single character and use a variety of weapons to shoot at lots of things is a DOOM series game or a Half-Life series game. What Walgrave is saying is that there is no similarity between Larian's D&D game and the Baldur's Gate series and so he couldn't think of something that actually justifies calling Larian's "BG3" a Baldur's Gate series game.

Black Isle themselves didn't think it would be right to call their cancelled BG2 sequel Baldur's Gate 3, despite that it was to continue the same style of gameplay:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1234228179906134016
it's been a long time since i worked on The Black Hound, but i want to make clear (again) that i never had any intention of that game being called Baldur's Gate III or Baldur's Gate (whatever). IPLY put that title on it after well over a year and a half of dev had been done.

they did it for contractual issues they had (they were only allowed to publish D&D games with baldur's gate or icewind dale in the title). i, and many others on the team, expressed concern over tacking the name onto a game that was made to be its own thing, not an IE/BG game.

the only connection it had was with IWD (maralie fiddlebender was a companion). it had no connection to BG at all. in the end it didn't really matter, but i think it's important to note that the team's intention was never to use the BG name.

Walgrave also said that Larian didn't want to take any risks with their game and so stuck to the DOS formula - but that it was Larian's choice to do so:

The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we're really good - or we have become really good - with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It's a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn't really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn't, we just said "Okay it's just gonna be turn-based."

Larian's Swen also said they are using the Baldur's Gate name to promote their DOS formula and grow the popularity of their DOS games because their DOS formula will sell more if labelled as Baldur's Gate than it would if labelled under the Divinity brand, at At 3:34 in this video:

https://youtu.be/kGnGOnzlC4s?t=214
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
When taking into consideration the AAA status of this game, we would be remiss to do anything other than shut up and accept what we are given. Being this emotionally butthurt about it shows that we are unreasonable and such games shouldn't be made for us because we are never satisfied even though it's a faithful D&D TB RPG that we haven't gotten since ToEE. There is nothing wrong about Larian making this game, quite the contrary. What more can you possibly want from an AAA game given the circumstances? Just a carbon copy of BG1 (not 2, please) with new locations and companions?
It's AAA so it's good. Just consoom goy. I can't believe I'm seeing a normalfag smooth brained comment like this on the codex. I came here to escape that kind of thinking.

This post was /pol bingo, holy shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom