Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dramart

Learned
https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...-imbert-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3
Edouard Imbert, senior designer and main combat designer :

How do you reconcile the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate fans with the need to modernise the formula?
First of all, you have the basic question: do we do real time with a pause or do we go round by round? I'm a critic of real time with pause because I remember my Baldur's Gate games and I look at what they did recently with Pillars of Eternity: it's a mess, pause, you give three orders, you stop the pause, it's a mess. I don't like that at all. I'm convinced it's something that's playing against us, that's preventing us from attracting new players. What I like about the turn-by-turn is that the "it's yours, it's mine, it's yours" side of it, everyone understands that.

What I want to do, apart from the mechanics, is to have references to the old Baldur's Gate, so that "it rhymes" as Georges Lucas said. Nevertheless, you still have to realize that it has aged. The tone has aged, the mechanics have aged. We have to modernize, we have to simplify. Anyway, we follow the rules of the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, which is still much more accessible I think. So, how do you modernize with that in mind? I think we can make references to the scenario, we can go through known places, maybe find characters, but I think that this will happen mostly at the level of the universe and the scenario as well as at the level of the tone more than in the mechanics, which, for their part, need to be modernized.
So they gonna change everything, the tone, the mechanics. They hate RTwp, they hate Baldur's Gate. Everything ot attract more players, it's all about the bills.
The guy hasn't played BG in 20 years. What did you expect...
What? He says he likes more turn-based and think the RTwP is shit. He just hated the old game.
rtwp is garbage
Nonsense! Respect RTwP, do it for KotOR II at least you bastard!
:imperialscum:

Black

Arcane
https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...-imbert-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3

How do you reconcile the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate fans with the need to modernise the formula?
First of all, you have the basic question: do we do real time with a pause or do we go round by round? I'm a critic of real time with pause because I remember my Baldur's Gate games and I look at what they did recently with Pillars of Eternity: it's a mess, pause, you give three orders, you stop the pause, it's a mess. I don't like that at all. I'm convinced it's something that's playing against us, that's preventing us from attracting new players. What I like about the turn-by-turn is that the "it's yours, it's mine, it's yours" side of it, everyone understands that.

What I want to do, apart from the mechanics, is to have references to the old Baldur's Gate, so that "it rhymes" as Georges Lucas said. Nevertheless, you still have to realize that it has aged. The tone has aged, the mechanics have aged. We have to modernize, we have to simplify. Anyway, we follow the rules of the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, which is still much more accessible I think. So, how do you modernize with that in mind? I think we can make references to the scenario, we can go through known places, maybe find characters, but I think that this will happen mostly at the level of the universe and the scenario as well as at the level of the tone more than in the mechanics, which, for their part, need to be modernized.
So they gonna change everything, the tone, the mechanics. They hate RTwp, they hate Baldur's Gate. Everything ot attract more players, it's all about the bills.
What? He says he likes more turn-based and think the RTwP is shit. He just hated the old game.
rtwp is garbage
Why, all good rtwp games were good despite of their rtwp/combat, not because of it, kotor 2 isn't an exception.
You could port it and PS:T to Ren'py and there'd be no difference.

Dramart

Learned

rtwp is garbage
Why, all good rtwp games were good despite of their rtwp/combat, not because of it, kotor 2 isn't an exception.
But that's the one most people like

Black

Arcane

rtwp is garbage
But that's the one most people like
BUT NOT BECAUSE OF ITS COMBAT, YOU ACCURSED ESL

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
So, the executive producer for Larian's "Baldur's Gate 3" apparently couldn't think of a single way in which Larian's "BG3" is actually a sequel to the series:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview
So, I think that in spirit it's still the successor of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Because there are so many things that people who did play and like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 will still recognise in the new one. It's still about your party. It's still about big personalities clashing with each other and relationships. It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules - even if you haven't played D&D in 20 years. You will still recognise all the spells, et cetera. So, to me it's a true sequel, but we are bringing it into the 21st century by saying, "Look, it's glorious 3D."
So, Larian's "BG3" is a sequel because it's a party-based RPG with colourful character and with combat in it - and the combat uses a D&D ruleset. He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't.

There are loads of games that fit Walgrave's description that aren't called Baldur's Gate series games, and there are thousands that fit the description if not counting the D&D ruleset qualifier. Walgrave's claim is the equivalent of saying that any first-person game where you play as a single character and use a variety of weapons to shoot at lots of things is a DOOM series game or a Half-Life series game. What Walgrave is saying is that there is no similarity between Larian's D&D game and the Baldur's Gate series and so he couldn't think of something that actually justifies calling Larian's "BG3" a Baldur's Gate series game.

Black Isle themselves didn't think it would be right to call their cancelled BG2 sequel Baldur's Gate 3, despite that it was to continue the same style of gameplay:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1234228179906134016
it's been a long time since i worked on The Black Hound, but i want to make clear (again) that i never had any intention of that game being called Baldur's Gate III or Baldur's Gate (whatever). IPLY put that title on it after well over a year and a half of dev had been done.

they did it for contractual issues they had (they were only allowed to publish D&D games with baldur's gate or icewind dale in the title). i, and many others on the team, expressed concern over tacking the name onto a game that was made to be its own thing, not an IE/BG game.

the only connection it had was with IWD (maralie fiddlebender was a companion). it had no connection to BG at all. in the end it didn't really matter, but i think it's important to note that the team's intention was never to use the BG name.

Walgrave also said that Larian didn't want to take any risks with their game and so stuck to the DOS formula - but that it was Larian's choice to do so:

The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we're really good - or we have become really good - with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It's a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn't really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn't, we just said "Okay it's just gonna be turn-based."

Larian's Swen also said they are using the Baldur's Gate name to promote their DOS formula and grow the popularity of their DOS games because their DOS formula will sell more if labelled as Baldur's Gate than it would if labelled under the Divinity brand, at At 3:34 in this video:

https://youtu.be/kGnGOnzlC4s?t=214
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

See, I was right. These are the words of a sell out with no passion. Did it just for the money, he has no intention of making a BG sequel. Make our own game using someone else's reputation. Can't even describe what Baldur's Gate is. It has combat, you talk to people, you walk sometimes, people even sometimes talk to each other.

Black

Arcane

The way this guy talks about tb is worrying. Modernize? Simplify? Are those the two words you connect with turn-based, especially in contrast to rtwp?
I didn't have the delusions that this game would be trying to be as close to D&D as ToEE but they at least could pretend.

RangerOne

Literate

Why have Baldur's Gate fans on the design team of a direct sequel, when you plan to make something completely else?

xP5Eo3a.jpg

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

The way this guy talks about tb is worrying. Modernize? Simplify? Are those the two words you connect with turn-based, especially in contrast to rtwp?
I didn't have the delusions that this game would be trying to be as close to D&D as ToEE but they at least could pretend.
What a surprise. Games that appeal to idiots who can't handle multiple things moving at once also appeal to idiots that need their hands held through every little step through simplifying the fun out of it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What a surprise. Games that appeal to idiots who can't handle multiple things moving at once also appeal to idiots that need their hands held through every little step through simplifying the fun out of it.
"can't handle multiple things moving at once"

So you can't handle a single unit moving at any given time?

Curratum

I don't understand where this feeling of superiority comes from with turn-based. It's demonstrably, very obviously much easier to calculate action economy, plan ahead and generally control the flow of a battle in turn-based.

While it allows for more of "muh tactix", it's also much dumber, far less realistic and much easier to handle overall compared to rtwp.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't understand where this feeling of superiority comes from with turn-based. It's demonstrably, very obviously much easier to calculate action economy, plan ahead and generally control the flow of a battle in turn-based.
While it allows for more of "muh tactix", it's also much dumber,

DURRR WHY U PPL WITH UR STUPID COBAT SYSTEM SAY MY COMBAT SYSTEM IS STUPID

Because you're stupid. And it's demonstrably very obvious that stupid people are more likely to prefer RTwP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom