Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RTwP games are all the same, I don't see a point of having more than one active franchise for the combat system that looks and plays absolutely the same way since it's incarnation.

With TB you can have completely different gameplay styles, from SMT, Xcom to Shogun tactics, Underrail etc.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If this turns out to be a dud and unplayable, ok, but self-sabotage is not my MO. We are hurting the RPG cause by anathemizing basically a miracle. This is not equivalent to Skyrim, Witcher 3 or that cringe-inducing FF7 remake, this is a pure-blood party-based RPG, being AAA in of itself is not an indictment and it's not about mindlessly consuming AAA garbage.
Combatfaggotry at its finest.

What a counter-argument, truly got him there.

Lacrymas
I don't think devs have any say in the matter. The problem is that a cutting edge game in the 90s could be made with a team of 12 sweaty nerds paid in dr pepper and cheesy puffs, but today it needs 300 people working full time for 3+ years, some A list voice actors, and an orchestra. With those sorts of budgets it is the money guys calling the shots, not the devs themselves. The devs themselves only care about making great games that they and us like, but they have proven that they can't be trusted to make that profitable. That's why every good dev got bought out by EA and dismantled. And that's why Larian's recent games required crowdfunding on kickstarter, instead of getting published like a grown ups company. With this game they buy the rights to an old franchise and it acts as a huge bunch of good value marketing because everyone is talking about the return of Baldurs Gate, so they can be sure a lot of people will at least try it. That's why there are so many remakes and reboots these days, in gaming and in movies. Just pray that Divinity Gate: Baldur's Sin is better than Lady Ghostbusters.

Really we are lucky that this is being made by someone who can let you build characters and use spells and whatnot because it quite easily could have been a single character action game made by Zenimax or some other shitlords. I'd rather it be made by the KOTC guy or something but then it wouldn't have any budget and that's why KOTC2 looks like it is made out of paper with glitter and glue. tl;dr It isn't gonna be the BG3 people hoped for but at least it is a new RPG that is probably gonna be fun for a month or so and that's about as much you can hope for these days.

There's plenty of small studios still making great games. Maybe not 11 but 30 or 40.
Yeah but not huge AAA ones like this. Buying the rights to BG will have cost them a lot, but it will pay off with a bigger audience than DoS had. But it also requires that they hire far more staff, spend a lot more time on animations and graphics and music and voice overs and all that lame AAA shit. But without all that, there would be no BG3. I'd rather get this game with AD&D combat instead of DoS3 with the same dumb exploding barrels combat I've already seen twice before.

It's already blatantly apparent from the pre-alpha gameplay that they have toned down the whole exploding barrels combat from DoS 2 to fit more in line with DnD combat. It's impossible to take you guys seriously when you are determined to hate the game, it doesn't matter what's true or not.

Thoughtful criticism like pointing out that you can't change from team-based initiative, assuming it will be that way on the final build, I can understand. That system makes a lot of sense in co-op to spare people from waiting for each other to make their move but is not ideal for single player sessions.
Take a deep breath and read my post again.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
More like TB vs RTWP is chess vs warhammer 40k, both trying to act as simulations of army combat. One is intellectual and refined, but the other looks an awful lot more like actual army combat and not a supreme abstraction of it.
Except WH 40k board game is turn based, action games are all real time, strategy games either real time or turn based. Your comparison is shit.

Shadenuat

Arcane
the designer admitting they streamline and make game more accesible by making it tb :lol:

what
what world am I even in

Alice dear, more tea please

alice-3-625x1000.jpg

Dramart

Learned
I don't understand where this feeling of superiority comes from with turn-based. It's demonstrably, very obviously much easier to calculate action economy, plan ahead and generally control the flow of a battle in turn-based.

While it allows for more of "muh tactix", it's also much dumber, far less realistic and much easier to handle overall compared to rtwp.
TB is for people who are slow... to think

mondblut

Arcane
More like TB vs RTWP is chess vs warhammer 40k, both trying to act as simulations of army combat. One is intellectual and refined, but the other looks an awful lot more like actual army combat and not a supreme abstraction of it.

Participants in actual army combat have brains.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
The way this guy talks about tb is worrying. Modernize? Simplify? Are those the two words you connect with turn-based, especially in contrast to rtwp?
I didn't have the delusions that this game would be trying to be as close to D&D as ToEE but they at least could pretend.
You see, there are still a plenty of idiots out there who spew the "TB is "too simplistic and outdated and RtwP is modern and deeply tactical" BS.

From this point of vies, let them say whatever if it sells TB to the masses. All means are acceptable for the dominance of the TB master system :)

Curratum

It's not even about which is deeper or more complex. There's other factors as well - sheer time spent playing a simple encounter, as well as realism and relation to actual physical combat.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
It's not even about which is deeper or more complex. There's other factors as well - sheer time spent playing a simple encounter, as well as realism and relation to actual physical combat.
Sure, the wealth of tactical options like shove, jump, throw etc is a lot more realistic. Oh wait, you meant RtwP. :roll:

Time spent is a non-issue: good encounter design balances that well. I'd rather have fewer encounters that are longer and interestingly designed than filler mobs every 15 meters of a dungeon.

"It's not about depth and complexity, it's about how fast I can get through it". I guess not having to actively play and think is a definite plus for RTwP fans.

Boomer_007

Novice
It's funny, how people here hates RTwP, but in the same time they have 2 RTwP-games in the top-3 of Codex RPGs list (and even first place is not TB). How do you live with that? This is probably painful. It's like to be minority in your own country.

16928.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Turn-based:

God-tier: Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE
Mid-tier: Goldbox
Shit-tier: Divinity OS

RTwP:

God-tier: 7.62 High Calibre
Mid-tier: Infinity Engine
Shit-tier: KotOR and dozens of others

Molina

Savant
It's funny, how people here hates RTwP, but in the same time they have 2 RTwP-games in the top-3 of Codex RPGs list (and even first place is not TB). How do you live with that? This is probably painful. It's like to be minority in your own country.

16928.jpg
They are good despite the RTwP, not because of it.
And BG3 will be shit, despite the TB. Yeah...

Dramart

Learned

16928.jpg
Are you saying most voters are storyfags?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
the designer admitting they streamline and make game more accessible by making it tb :lol:

what
what world am I even in

Alice dear, more tea please
This is normie speak, it's trying to sneakily placate the masses and damage control. He 100% knows TB is far more punishing and he demonstrated that by dying in the very first combat scenario in his own game (that he practiced beforehand), and by his cleric being demolished by an arrow to the face because she wasn't positioned properly. If this were RTwP, he would've paused the game and ordered her behind the monument thing, the stupid AI would trigger and the ranged attacker would've followed her behind the statue and get into melee range where he would provoke attacks of opportunity at each ranged attack at -4 penalty due to being point blank.

Shadenuat

Arcane
honestly from that list amount of games which are defined by their combat is very few, like JA2 and some JRPGs. don't think many people prefered killing packs of titans with blasters in tb.

which shows that first and foremost RPGs are defined by the strength of their settings, and choices you can make in them.

and the highest voted which is highly defined by its combat is... BG2. :kingcomrade:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
honestly from that list amount of games which are defined by their combat is very few, like JA2 and some JRPGs. don't think many people prefered killing packs of titans with blasters in tb.

which shows that first and foremost RPGs are defined by the strength of their settings.
Or in larians case casualizing the genre enough that the casuals feel like they can participate and feel like they're more hard core than they actually are.

16928.jpg
Are you saying most voters are storyfags?
Yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom