Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah so we just have to take this for what it is. Combatfag 5E D&D game.

I could enjoy that if done well

Hopefully Larian just adds a mode that skips all the dialogue and goes from combat to combat with the occasional downtime to tinker with your party at the camp.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I reckon good RTWP and good TB are about equal. The trivialising/casualising free-movement of RTWP can be addressed by adding mechanics like turnrate, and a longish pre-firing animation for ranged attacks. Those simple changes wipe out most mindless abusive kiting already.
Similarly, good TB needs stuff like an animation skip hotkey, ability to switch places between allies or alter their relative turn order, maybe some pre-readied action or whatever else.

The real contrast is between bad RTWP and bad TB. A game with bad RTWP can still be fine with good writing, because at least you can just leave it unpaused and spam kewl spells like in Kotor and Planescape. But my god, when TB is bad, it's REALLY bad. Even NumaNuma's shitshow writing didn't totally overshadow what a slog the combat was.

Last edited:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-will-fix-one-of-divinity-2s-biggest-flaws-3985098

“We want [the story] to be lighthearted and dark at the same time. One of the things that makes that easier is if you make a game that’s 100 hours long, you need multiple tones. There are regions of the game and characters that are incredibly dark – and we do push the horror angle that you saw in the teaser trailer – but there are also parts that are incredibly lighthearted. You have to have different tones, partly because that’s how life works, but also because the game would be boring otherwise.”
Tl:Dr
  • They will increase the amount of content for custom characters compared to OS2.
  • Game is very long, which allows them to make stories/location with different tones.
  • Volo is in the game- with a reason for why the fuck he is still alive.
Lead writer is Adam Smith. At least he got Tormented writer look handled.
ERHxezNWoAAHQE-

jackofshadows

Magister
Allowing something explicitly forbidden by the rules is an obvious issue, especially when it's a pretty darn important restriction of said class. Allowing something that would be open for discussion with a DM is not an issue — it's a part of playing D&D and encouraged.
e.g., throwing your shoe.
s5Rmlwn.png
I agree with that, furthermore, you're probably know as well as I do, that Bioware didn't actually tried to translate ruleset as close as possible. That Jaheira plate thing is nothing compare to what they did to magic system and especially to some enemies (4 turn protection etc). Not to mention insignificant invention of the compromise RTvP mode, yeah.

But Bioware did all of that in odrer to adapt PnP rules to cRPG by dismissing "pure table stuff" and attempting to enhance future player's experience compare to actual table one, as well as to simplify and accelerate many game's aspects (character creation, for instance) for mass appeal sake/overall convenience and I get that perfectly.

What LS are doing, on the other hand, is not exactly clear for me. It seems that they're trying to apply PnP ruleset far more literaly, while... they are still making a CRPG, w/o any artificial DM in it. Basically they're shoving possible "improvising actions" beforehand inside and reinforcing it with such things as dice animation feature, self-checks during the rest and weird vague past tence dialogues. I strongly dislike this approach even from purist standpoing (which I'm not).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why are you faggots still arguing about TB vs RTWP.

It's been going on since at least 1998; that is, 22 years.

An argument that's literally as old as I am, this is pure incline

It's a different argument now.

The old argument was that we should hate the Infinite Engine games because RTwP was decline so all the games made with that system were automatically shit. The only true good RPGs are the turn based ones. That obviously didn't sit well with the people who actually enjoyed those games, RTwP or not.

Now the argument is about how the fact this game is turn based makes it instantly incline despite the fact everything else seems to be shit, including all the things that made the Infinite Engines games popular (visuals, tone, atmosphere, writing, characterization etc).

Actually, now that i think of it, it's still the same argument lmao carry on.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
hey let's play guess the game
"What? Ah... yes, m'lady Ama. I meant no offense. Ah, <CHARNAME>, I would suggest you obey proper protocol and present your dagger before your better."

Ok, let's take definitions from the link you provided:

a. The forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state.
b. A code of correct conduct: safety protocols; academic protocol.
2. The first copy of a treaty or other such document before its ratification.
3. A preliminary draft or record of a transaction.
4. The plan for a course of medical treatment or for a scientific experiment.

So you just used the word protocol in it's late 19th century definition as forms of ceremony and etiquette. In order for your sentence to make at least some sense in a fictional DnD setting, that setting has to contain the following:
- nobility/diplomats/heads of state with lawful alignment who have traditions to govern their behaviour
- a rudimentary bureaucracy that can transform folk traditions into a codified set of rules.

So nothing impossible in a setting like Forgotten Realms. I can let this pass.

But the problem with Lae'zel, The Destroyer of Western Civilization, is that she used the word protocol in it's 20th century definition - safety protocols or the plan for a course of medical treatment.

This definition is directly connected to 20th century social institutions. In order for her sentence to make any sense Githyanki civilization must have the analogue of 20th century centralised healthcare system or Ministry of Defence. Enormous, centralised bureaucratic organisation that operates through vast ammounts of paperwork, that can place an order for printing of many thousands of manuals containing protocols for various situation for it's numerous ground level personnel to obey.

Do Githyanki have something like this? I guess they can outsource their paperwork to Modrons...

Or maybe Larian's writers are just dangerhair millenials with background in capeshit fanfiction.

Codex Year of the Donut
"What? Ah... yes, m'lady Ama. I meant no offense. Ah, <CHARNAME>, I would suggest you obey proper protocol and present your dagger before your better."

a. The forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state.

So you just used the word protocol in it's late 19th century definition as forms of ceremony and etiquette. In order for your sentence to make at least some sense in a fictional DnD setting, that setting has to contain the following:
- nobility/diplomats/heads of state with lawful alignment who have traditions to govern their behaviour
- a rudimentary bureaucracy that can transform folk traditions into a codified set of rules.

But the problem with Lae'zel, The Destroyer of Western Civilization, is that she used the word protocol in it's 20th century definition - safety protocols or the plan for a course of medical treatment.

This definition is directly connected to 20th century social institutions. In order for her sentence to make any sense Githyanki civilization must have the analogue of 20th century centralised healthcare system or Ministry of Defence. Enormous, centralised bureaucratic organisation that operates through vast ammounts of paperwork, that can place an order for printing of many thousands of leaflets containing protocols for various situation for it's numerous ground level personnel to obey.

Do Githyanki have something like this? I guess they can outsource their paperwork to Modrons...

Or maybe Larian's writers are just dangerhair millenials with backgdound in capeshit fanfiction.
you know they don't speak english in faerun, right?
I honestly can't tell if you're just this stupid or trolling

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: protocol

I have the vague impression that the astral/Spelljammer-type races in D&D are pseudo-futuristic and it might be in character for them to use terms like that, but I could be wrong.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron

This definition is directly connected to 20th century social institutions. In order for her sentence to make any sense Githyanki civilization must have the analogue of 20th century centralised healthcare system or Ministry of Defence. Enormous, centralised bureaucratic organisation that operates through vast ammounts of paperwork, that can place an order for printing of many thousands of leaflets containing protocols for various situation for it's numerous ground level personnel to obey.

Or maybe Larian's writers are just dangerhair millenials with backgdound in capeshit fanfiction.
you know they don't speak english in faerun, right?

Well, apparently they also don't speak english that well in Belgium.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron

I have the vague impression that the astral/Spelljammer-type races in D&D are pseudo-futuristic and it might be in character for them to use terms like that, but I could be wrong.

Thats possible, i guess. But i was under impression that Githyanki were more on the low tech side.

For example, BG3 trailer clearly shows Illithids as more advanced race, while githyanki are just some dudes with swords riding dragons.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Protocol has no place in Baldur's Gate. In science fantasy like Star Wars it can make sense (Execute protocol , execute order...). In context of Baldur's gate NO.

Frame of reference for protocol binds something technological and modern.

header.jpg
220px-Alpha_Protocol_cover.jpg

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Thats possible, i guess. But i was under impression that Githyanki were more on the low tech side.

For example, BG3 trailer clearly shows Illithids as more advanced race, while githyanki are just some dudes with swords riding dragons.
Spelljammers aren't exactly "advanced technology". They may be spaceships but they're constructed with ancient magic. The Githyanki also know how to build spelljammers btw, they're one of the more capable and organized races.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Google to the rescue:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Githyanki
Githyanki society was extremely well organized and orderly. It had a martial and meritocratic structure, with no regard for blood ties, and with both males and females training heavily in magic and combat. Although they were loyal to each other, they were also fiercely individualistic.

Raiding ships consisted of different kinds of flying ships operated by spelljamming helms, whose technology the githyanki obtained from the mind flayers' nautiloids.

latest

Ok, so they know how to build those teleporting ships. But i am not sure i will describe them as futuristic...

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Here the head of St.Peterburg's branch assures that "they will be getting rid of old DivOS2 assets over time, redrawing icons, changing interface etc"
Текущая версия Baldurʼs Gate 3 — это пре-альфа. В игре очень много ассетов осталось от Original Sin 2, но мы постепенно будем от них избавляться, чтобы не вводить игроков в заблуждение. Перерисуем иконки, изменим интерфейс, сделаем более очевидным тот факт, что игра работает по совершенно другим правилам. Визуальный стиль сейчас, опять же, более реалистичный и более мрачный, чем был в OS2 — это тоже серьезное отличие. На уровне идей мы сейчас стремимся к тому, чтобы интересно и круто было всем. И фанатам игр Larian, и новичкам в жанре RPG, и хардкорным старым фанатам Baldurʼs Gate. — Артур
Pretty convincing, right? What a weight off my mind.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron

Spelljammers aren't exactly "advanced technology". They may be spaceships but they're constructed with ancient magic.

Thats what i always assumed. This is more of a "magical" technology, not "futuristic" technology.

Elex

Arbiter
I wonder if Githyanki have urban planning and gentrification in their towns? Do they have coworkings and open-spaces? Do their ships have catering services on board? Do they have fitness facilities?
Do they complain to human resources department about workplace harassment?
Well all of the question have an interesting answer in the githyanki role.
In particular how githyanki reproduce and age.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Protocol has no place in Baldur's Gate. In science fantasy like Star Wars it can make sense (Execute protocol , execute order...).
1) Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's space fantasy ffs.
2) Word order is fucking ancient and definetely fits medieval theme.
3) Word "protocol" existed since Ancient Greece and word had nothing to do with "high" tech.
Inhuman scum, which outraged by "wrong" word in BG 3 is no better than SJW activist. Both claim fighting for something "righteous", but in reality justy outrage mob seeking for defenseless victim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom