Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

S.torch

Arbiter
So these x2 new attack animations are only for martial characters?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just like I said, people against TB have little to no experience with actual TB games.

Please don't Not True Scottsman the argument.

Old XCOMs are hard and tactical due to the overall system, not solely because its TB. The same with JA2 and both Silent Strom. Blackguards are somewhat hard and tactical.

But being TB alone doesn't make a game more strategic or such bullshit. Numa2 and both D:OS are banal combat wise in spite of being TB. Wasteland 2 is completely mediocre as well. Heck even AoD combat is boring. Dungeon Rats get a pass I guess due to encounter being more challenging and being a party game. Heck the only modern TB game worth mentioning is ironically nu-XCOM with the LW mod. Maybe Xenonauts.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I just can't go back to non-moving targets. Too immersion breaking.

Y'all Amish Luddite tards can still have your GoldBox revivals all you like, just let the rest of us have something that actually feels like fighting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just like I said, people against TB have little to no experience with actual TB games.

Please don't Not True Scottsman the argument.
But that's the only way to explain their perplexing statements, it makes zero sense if they have played anything other than D:OS and nu-XCom. "TB is slower!" No, it isn't, play any TB roguelike. "It takes no skill!" It does, play the old X-coms at least. Also chess.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
No clue what RTWP vs TB faggotry has to do with this game though. The developers have already appealed to the TB crowd. What we should be arguing about is encounter design. Kingmaker had some shoddy encounters in certain parts. For example, enemies don't do a good job of flanking your units. If your DPS is a squishy back liner, then the AI should have units flank past your tank, and rush towards your backliners. They also don't know how to respond to choke points. If I see an enemy attempting a choke point on me. I'd throw an AoE at their direction, like web or fire ball. Maybe CC them with a spell like grease. You know, flush them out of that choke point. Instead of retardly rushing in one by one.

But apparently to you faggots, TB vs RTWP is more important.

Delterius

Arcane
Do you know what takes away the challenge?

TB mode.
It just looks that way to you because Tb fellas play with superior intellect.
Nah TB is for old people that can't keep up. It lacks any challenge or need for tactical thinking. You have all info show to you and all you need to do is solve the basic puzzle. If you want challenge to play Hexcells or some other puzzle game :).
chess.jpg

Reinhardt

Arcane

TB mode.
Nah TB is for old people that can't keep up. It lacks any challenge or need for tactical thinking. You have all info show to you and all you need to do is solve the basic puzzle. If you want challenge to play Hexcells or some other puzzle game :).
chess.jpg
What devilry is this?!

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think it's clear TB is going to win and RTwP is going to be left in the annals of history as a niche design concept for weirdos with no taste.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Heck the only modern TB game worth mentioning is ironically nu-XCOM with the LW mod. Maybe Xenonauts.
You forgot the ironic part: it is so good because they added time limits to missions.

the 1st nuxcom was just camping with 2 plasmasnipers. the 2d fixed this with some hard counters: time limits, op bosses and overall better mission design.

it fits into my theory that rpg combat in general is practical science and you can fail or succeed with same system if you have better or worse intern designers doing encounters/missions.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
But apparently to you faggots, TB vs RTWP is more important.
Outside of capitalism, this is the biggest issue of our time.
Which is why you faggots are getting DOS 3, and the rest of us are getting a tactically engaging game. Enjoy.

faggots = people trying to dominate a conversation via excessive/baseless displays of superior masculinity (i.e. swinging their dick around), usually via playing more nihilistic/cynical than thou or asking to speak to the developer (pulling rank)
tards = people trying to exert dominance via similar displays of superior intellect, erudition, or sophistication

TB v RTwP draws tards like moth to flame. Faggot in this context is misplaced.

Riding one's hobbyhorse outside of approved areas is neither one. The word you're looking for is clown.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

TB mode.
chess.jpg

Yeah that's why they put a fucking clock when pro plays. Chess is an incredibly well-made board game but on high level is more akin to a puzzle game with limit. That's why supercomputer AI can win vs grand-masters, the ability to calculate thousands of possibilities in a short time. Give the pros infinite time for each turn and they probably can force a remise every time.

And you know what's also trun-bassed? TIC TAC TOE. Must be a deep game because its turn-based right? Just like chess!

If anything this post enforces that being TB doesn't necessarily make a "deep tactical game."

But that's the only way to explain their perplexing statements, it makes zero sense if they have played anything other than D:OS and nu-XCom. "TB is slower!" No, it isn't, play any TB roguelike. "It takes no skill!" It does, play the old X-coms at least. Also chess.

The circlejerk that TB is always superior also only makes sense if you never play the games I mentioned. There is no inherent superiority to TB being more tactical because it all depends on the system.

The TB mod for Pathfinder shows that "muh TB PnP" is also incredibly open to cheese because CC spells literally become unbalanced due to how strong they are.

The argument about kiting and baiting are also dumb because a lot of TB games are designed with arena encounters in mind vs open area in RtwP. In TB games where you are free to start engagement (say, D:OS) also allows you to prepare shitton of trap (barrels) put the terrain affecting spells, abuse enemy AI + turn order to basically bait them into traps 100% of the time. But abusing enemy AI in TB is tacticool I guess.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I think it's clear TB is going to win and RTwP is going to be left in the annals of history as a niche design concept for weirdos with no taste.

Yeah because of TB works on console and there is a mainstream TB market now, not because of "muh TB TACTICOOL SUPERIORITY!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom