Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If you can (and if you are not doing that already), I would suggest you to do some sport or physical activity and THEN play some games.

That never works. When you're depressed, the ability to feel pleasure is heavily diminished -- and conversely for anything negative. I'd know.

What are some games that will cater to my depressive sensibilities while making me feel like life isn't so worthless after all?

A game won't help you with problem, at least I wouldn't expect it. I'm wasting time with Kerbal Space Program. It's a coping mechanism and not any life lesson or anything.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wouldn't have expected this level of maturity about the topic of depression when I clicked on this thread.

Anyways, when I had my struggle with life a dozen or so years ago, I liked playing puzzle games like The Incredible Machine, Lost Vikings, Portal,... Some puzzles were kinda hard, so that I spent quite some time thinking about possible solutions throughout the day instead of spending time thinking about what a failure I am.

If I had depression these days, I'd probably play a lot of Zachtronics games, like Shenzhen I/O, or Baba Is You.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I wouldn't have expected this level of maturity about the topic of depression when I clicked on this thread.

Anyways, when I had my struggle with life a dozen or so years ago, I liked playing puzzle games like The Incredible Machine, Lost Vikings, Portal,... Some puzzles were kinda hard, so that I spent quite some time thinking about possible solutions throughout the day instead of spending time thinking about what a failure I am.

If I had depression these days, I'd probably play a lot of Zachtronics games, like Shenzhen I/O, or Baba Is You.
Or The Witness... Although this game can be dangerous.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Baba is You is great and edgy! However it made me sink in despair when I realise how stupid I am in the second fucking area already.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Baba is You is great and edgy! However it made me sink in despair when I realise how stupid I am in the second fucking area already.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
You go put on pajamas and pretend to fight other people, changing into a different you, who isn't you.

But which one is the real you, anyway?

oh it reminds me of a favourite chilhood game which could supposedly help to cope with the depression if played stoned meaningfully:

71yOzhH8nsL.png

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
As a psychologist and as a person who suffered from depression for more than 15 years I could write endless pages about this matter, but I honestly wouldn't know where to end and there wouldn't really be a true solution either. As for games, fantasy TBS helped me greatly in certain times, but of course there aren't any good games for depression per se. When you are really deep in it, you will find no joy in any game.

Furthermore, I will just leave this quote here:

"There are some who have no voices
Or none that will ever speak
Because of the things they know about this world
And the things they feel about this world
Because the thoughts that fill a brain
That is a damaged brain
Because the pain that fills a body
That is a damaged body
Exist in other worlds
Countless other worlds
Each of which stands alone in an infinite empty blackness
For which no words have been conceived
And where no voices are able to speak
When a brain is filled only with damaged thoughts
When a damaged body is filled only with pain
And stands alone in a world surrounded by infinite empty blackness
And exists in a world for which there is no special plan"

I will leave a video message on writers of no talent

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This thread was made for me! I've had chronic severe depression for over 15 years as well as dysthymia during the 'good days.'

I will tell you all the games that speak to me as a depressed person. I will forget lots and add to this thread as time passes.
Keep in mind each person is different so what speaks to me may not speak to you, not even a little bit.

A Night in the Woods
Dark Souls 1 and 2 and Demon's Souls
Drakengard 1 and 3
NieR, NieR: Automata
Undertale (overrated, but still a fun experience that cheered me up and that I remember)

You might also enjoy The Witness and Getting Over It. The Infocom games "A Mind Forever Voyaging" and "Lurking Horror" also struck a chord with me, as did "Shades" which is short and sweet.

For movies I suggest Stalker and Solaris by Tarkovsky.

Beastro

Arcane
That "writer of no talent" is Thomas Ligotti. You may want to read up on him.

He sounds like a whiney poser.

Seems like he's an Anti-Natalist Nihilist, so yeah, Burning Bridges is on the right track.
Just watch True Detective season 1 since they basically plagiarized Ligotti.

I had no interest in that show and now I have a good reason never to watch it.

Depressive shit here and there is fine, like a song, but watching an entire season of a show, or a movie like Melancholia, or that guys books is not something I'd do.

Fuck reveling in depressive shit I have it rough enough as it is than to waste time sipping from that bitter cup.

Vatnik Wumao

Depressive shit here and there is fine, like a song, but watching an entire season of a show, or a movie like Melancholia, or that guys books is not something I'd do.

Fuck reveling in depressive shit I have it rough enough as it is than to waste time sipping from that bitter cup.
Misery loves company, so there's a certain degree of coziness in watching that sort of stuff. That being said, what most people call being 'depressed' is just good ol' acedia (or apathy if you'd prefer).

As for the topic at hand, I'd unironically recommend Darkest Dungeon. It's strangely comforting in its repetitive gameplay and Lovecraftian aesthetic.

Beastro

Arcane

Misery loves company, so there's a certain degree of coziness in watching that sort of stuff.

It has its place in small doses, but what I've learned of things like pity is they're a drink that never quenches your thirst only increases it.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
For me, fighting games, especially KoF help with depression.

Also watching fighting game competitions like EVO and retro game speed runs, especially Castlevania.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
He had a couple of weeks where he took a break, but he is back in force. I'm hoping he has some tool or such for idling, as most games will kick you out if you are AFK too long.

upload_2020-3-8_22-27-42.png

Edit: Dammit, put this in the wrong thread. But it sorta makes sense here, so whatever.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Don't isolate yourself. Be more social.

If that means playing games, turn on your microphone and actually talk to people - even if it's just focused on the game, you are socializing and not being alone.

Loneliness is the killer. If you can't be social playing vidya, don't play vidya for a while. Take a break, make a plan to reward yourself with some planned time to game after a few days being more social. Keep repeating this cycle until you find yourself being more sociable by habit and because it feels good.
they seem sound and reasonable suggestions, but what if they've been already tried and failed or are literally impossible? don't try to walk around the problem, "literally impossible". that's my usual conversation with shrinks, -you must get out of this. -well, i can't see how. you tell me. -you must get out of this. -how? -hour's up, see you next time.
I think, if you are serious about therapy, this isn't a major issue. If you have come to a wall like that, you have the wrong therapist or you aren't telling them everything.

The hard thing about therapy is honesty. Disgusting complete honesty - it is more than regular people want to deal with, and in the past has been too much for my therapist. If you aren't prepared to bare your soul, don't waste your time and money.

Choose a proper therapist. This is essential. I don't want to go to Janjetina for Christian therapy, it will be fruitless for all parties. I don't want to go to a pill-pusher, I want to remember some things and talk about them in a new light. I don't want to be saved or transformed, I want to be me.

Have a goal. It is your life, you know that you are unhappy and you probably have a few ideas about why. Talk about those things to the therapist, and if they keep focusing on minutiae ask them why - either they have a plan or they are bad at their job and you should move on.

As for gaming, I don't know in the end if it's very good for me anymore. I enjoyed playing through VtMB, but I couldn't do a back-to-back play with a new bloodline. Nothing grabs me like it used to. Can't get past much at all of PST without getting bored too quickly. The modern video game has ruined the video game for me - I like flashy and shiny and IMMERSIVE, yet it doesn't hold the attention like playing Ultima for months with hand drawn maps, moon gate maps, dungeon strategies... or even something pop-a-mole like ME3MP that at least had tons of undocumented "secrets" and build variety... My rose tint is a part of the depression I think, and maybe GabeN is right and I need to move on to VR and get excited about gaming again as something "new" or find an actually better way to spend my time and hang up my omni-tool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom