Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Choices in Oblivion

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Again, nobody's forcing you to join all the guilds your first time around. Besides, I am certain that there will be quests in each of these guilds that rely heavily on the skills of your character, so I wouldn't expect a low magic swordsman to be able to become an archmage of a mages guild unless he builds his character to meet the requirements of both the warriors guild and the mages guild.

bryce777

Erudite
Sol Invictus said:
Again, nobody's forcing you to join all the guilds your first time around. Besides, I am certain that there will be quests in each of these guilds that rely heavily on the skills of your character, so I wouldn't expect a low magic swordsman to be able to become an archmage of a mages guild unless he builds his character to meet the requirements of both the warriors guild and the mages guild.

You are completely missing the point, which has been explained over and over so I won't bother to yet again.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Again, it's not so much that you can join all of them. It's what being able to join all of them tells us about the mechanics of the game.

Nothing you do in one will effect the other. Wouldn't it be cool to be a part of some inter-faction conflict? Now we know you can't. Because if you could, if it were real conflict, then you would not be able to wander over and simply join the faction you have just fought/assassinated/stolen from.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So what you want is more linear, less freeform gameplay. When Baldur's Gate 2 did that, there was no stopping you people from bitching about it. Yeah, it's really too bad you can't get all the strongholds in a single playthrough because after all, who plays a game more than once, right?

Funny how the tune changes when it's about Oblivion. "Oh sirs, we want to play the game through a million times and if you can do everything in the single playthrough, it's going to suck". Please make up your mind, Bryce.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sol Invictus said:
Yeah, it's really too bad you can't get all the strongholds in a single playthrough because after all, who plays a game more than once, right?
What? I doubt people complained about that about BG2.
Surely that sounds sensible.

Did you tell them they were being dicks back then?
If so, be consistent now.

Oh, yes, I know I'm on record thinking I will enjoy Oblivion no matter what.
I probably will. I surely will.
I still think this is a dumb design decision.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I told them they were being dicks back then (on the Black Isle forums) and that the same people who were being dicks back then are being dicks right now. In case you've forgotten, BG2 is one of my favorite games, so don't tell me to be consistent.

And yes, people did complain about how they weren't able to scope out all the strongholds in their first playthrough. Their argument was that because the game consisted of a party, each party member should have been able to get a stronghold of his own.

match000

Novice
Sol Invictus said:
So what you want is more linear, less freeform gameplay. When Baldur's Gate 2 did that, there was no stopping you people from bitching about it. Yeah, it's really too bad you can't get all the strongholds in a single playthrough because after all, who plays a game more than once, right?

Funny how the tune changes when it's about Oblivion. "Oh sirs, we want to play the game through a million times and if you can do everything in the single playthrough, it's going to suck". Please make up your mind, Bryce.

LOL

Some ppl just don't get it do they? Hahah

Anoik

Novice
Sol Invictus said:

No no. Lets see. If you can chose what guild to join every time you playe, that is freedom. If you are forced to join a guild every time you play, then, that is a more linear game.

What i want, is the freedom to chose my guild or guilds. Sure, you can do that in Morrowind and now in Oblivion too, but that isn't the point. I want that, but i want consequences for my choices and acts. If i join the Dark Brotherhood, i want a Fighters Guild that dont want me to join his guild. I want quests, not in all the guilds, but maybe in some of their, that put you in a dilema. If you help one guild in that quest, then you will have problems in the other.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sol Invictus said:
I told them they were being dicks back then (on the Black Isle forums)
Cool. I would've too.

Sol Invictus said:
In case you've forgotten, BG2 is one of my favorite games, so don't tell me to be consistent.
I'm saying "be consistent" due to the fact that you should be keeping to the same opinion re: it's dumb just to be able to become top dog of everything with no issues.
If certain people are flip flopping then that is a separate issue and you should take them to task (as you are kinda are).

Sol Invictus said:
And yes, people did complain about how they weren't able to scope out all the strongholds in their first playthrough. Their argument was that because the game consisted of a party, each party member should have been able to get a stronghold of his own.
Okay, that is slightly different. I don't know where I stand there due to a (totally admitted) lack of knowledge. I'm not a big BI middle-period dude. I hope to fix that.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Sorry, but: why is it so hard to understand what I say just because my opinion differs from yours????

He's not saying that it is. Rather, he simply expected a different response from you given your previous role.

I fail to see why I should response in a way I consider wrong because of a "role". I am what I am, not what "role" I have.

I would rather complain about things that aren't possible in the game, not about possibilities that you don't like.

That is what is being criticised. Things that are not possible. You cannot make meaningful, serious decisions - ie decisions with consequences. You cannot experience a game-world in which your actions actually count for something. These ought to be essential elements of an RPG, especially in this day and age.

That's not what is being criticised, and most of all: to emphasize your point of view, you greatly try to put truth in the shades:

If you really believe that your actions will have no consequences in Oblivion because you can join all for guilds if you will, then I have to assume you know nothing about the game. Most of your actions will have consequences, and it is safe to say you know that - you just do not mention it because it would make your general critizism invalid.

Fact is: In oblivion you can join all four guilds. If you roleplay, you most probably won't do it. If you want to join all four guilds because you want to do all of the quests in one game, you can do it.

I simply don't get why people complain that something is possible. See, if the game would have a marker for your character which says that you can join one or two out of four guilds and the nobody else would accept you - would you be happy? If so - for gods sake, put the marker on yourself and period. There are much more important questions about the game, for example how well RAI will work, which compromises had to be made to keep the NPC system balanced within itself and so on. But complaining about an option (not a must!!!!!) you don't like - c'mon!

This is not because of the lazyness or the the lacking good will of the devs and designers, it's due to very real restrictions. As I said, you have only so and so much time and money to do the game

It was not a lack of resources. They've got soil erosion and Patrick Stewart, after all. It's a clear design decision. As Drakron put it, 'Little Timmy (who shouldn't be playing the game if his parents knew better) will get upset if he cannot become grandmaster of everything'.

As for that 'you're not making the game therefore you cannot criticise it' line, well - It's soooo easy for you to sit on a forum and say 'you are not allowed to criticise the design of the game', isn't it Rendelius?

What else in the world are design decisions but householding with the ressources? I don't think that having Patrick Steward was hurting their timeline. And I think that soil erosion (and having a landscape engine that took the load of designing the landscape all by hand) was a CLEVER design decision, leaving them more time for other things (I have heard the dungeons will be bigger than in Morrowind - which I personally like). The "Little Timmy"-thing is an assumption, and it really smells like simplification - but I have no proof or disproof for this.

What REALLY pisses me off in your reply is that - against your knowledge - you try to make it look like I said that if you are not making a game, you can't criticise it. This is so lame, so predictable and the last ressort if you haven't got any argument left. Now, here's the quote what I said, and I ask you to reconsider what you trying to do with this quote:

It's soooo easy to sit on a forum and complain about missing things and design decisions, but it's another thing to keep a game development within the limits that will be fitting. There are a LOT of design decisions in Oblivion I do not like, but I think I understand why they have been made.

All I wanted to say is that when you start to think, you will find more than one reason why a certain thing has been done in the way it has been done. Dumbing down the game for the masses is one possibility. A second one is that implementing a meaningful relationship between the guilds is a task that doesn't fit into the timeline. A third would be that "freedom" means leaving some decisions to the player, even giving him options that might be silly for your personal gaming style. Reason number four for beig able to join all guilds is Radiant AI makes it hard to implement real factional behaviour and you would have to go back to fully scripted NPCs. Well, if you think a little bit longer, you will be able to come up with reason 5 to 12.

It's very human to just pick the reason that will fit into the picture you have made yourself for the game. And the more pieces will not fit into your picture, the harder you will stick to it. What I wanted to say in my sentence I have quoted is nothing more or less than: be open minded. I personally have learned that changing my opinion due to facts I have learned has never hurt my personality - on the contrary.

Now, let me get back to Oblivion and let me tell you what I expect and WHY I expect it: I expect Oblivion to be - for the possibilities of today (considering not only technical, but also economical boundaries) - a step further towards the freeform CRPG I would like to see. The quota of doing things right vs. doing things wrong in Morrowind was a favorable one, at least for what _I_ expect from a game. Oblivion might well be the next evolution of the genre, despite some things I would like to see and I know to be missing.

It's a real pity that Bethsoft hasn't implemented crafting - since this is something that greatly adds to the playability of a game for me. I liked the crafting system in the old Ultimas and Ultima Online, I kinda like the crafting opportunities in Everquest II (although they are not exactly what I envision), and I would have loved to see crafting in Oblivion.

I have some doubts that RAI will work as advertised. I know that the AI examples that have been shown and told mostly came from a non balanced system, but I fear that getting the RAI balanced will make it rather unspectacular. At least I do not expect the unexpected :).

I do not like the intrusive compass thingie with markers, and I hope this will be an option that can be turned off.

I do not really like the invisible barriers that will engulf Cyrodiil, but actually, I have no clue how they could have been avoided.

Last, but not least: I would have preferred a longer main storyline, but as I do not have to follow it all the time, that's not the biggest concern to me.

And the "I can join all guilds"-problem? It's no problem for me. I will not join all guilds, so everything you said about factions not being dependend from each other - I will never encounter it. I would only encounter the lack of dependency if I would try to join all - and this I won't, so this really is a ZERO problem for me.

Am I still looking forward to the game, despite all my concerns? Hell, yes. Very much so.

Once again, I hope I was able to make my point. Could you just consider my thoughts and stop interpreting them in an way they weren't meant?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I apologise of anything I've said came off as an attack towards Gothic 3, which is another game I'm looking forward to.

But anyway, as Rend said, the possibility of joining each of the four guilds shouldn't be construed as a detrimental factor to the game, because any roleplayer wouldn't do such a thing. The fact that the possibility exists shouldn't deter anyone from enjoying the game more than once as different characters.

It's much like the quick save and quick load features in various games. They exist, and the fact that they can be used in ways that exploit the game can be detrimental to the gameplay experience, but nobody forces you or even expects you to use it, so there's no point in complaining about quick saves and insisting on the implementation of console save points any more than there is any point to complaining about the freeform gameplay in Oblivion.

As a roleplayer, you can play how you want to play. You don't have to join all the guilds in a single instance if you don't want to. Nobody is forcing you to be a munchkin or a power gamer, but the game allows munchkins and power gamers the possibility of doing what they do best. Let them have their fun.

Oblivion is a single player game, so it's not as if someone else's gameplay experience is preventing you from having fun. I don't see what the big deal is here.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sol Invictus said:
Oblivion is a single player game, so it's not as if someone else's gameplay experience is preventing you from having fun. I don't see what the big deal is here.
Speaking for me, it's just a missed opportunity for some cool inter-faction mechanics is all.
It doesn't make me want to hate the game. But it would have been cooler with it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah it's definitely a missed opportunity, but nothing that can't be fixed with mods. I am not saying that Bethesda should be 'excused' for it but neither should such an argument be levelled against Bethesda for the lack of interfaction storyline mechanics. It was simply outside the scope of the design and the main plot.

Twinfalls

Erudite
@Rendelius

Firstly - I genuinely interpreted your comment 'it is sooooo easy to sit there on a forum' as meaning 'you cannot criticise the game because you are not making it'. If that is not what you meant, then I take that back. I did not mean to cause any offence with that interpretation, so please disregard it.

Secondly - you have stated why you are looking forward to the game. You have also stated why our criticisms are, in your view, not valid.

You want us to understand your view. Can you not extend the same courtesy to us? After all, it was criticism raised here that brought you to make the first comment ("sorry to break up your 'we hate Oblivion party' ").

You appear to have double standards. You're not going to be disappointed with Oblivion, and you've told us why. Now can you understand that there are some people who do expect to be disappointed? Can you at least appreciate that there are good reasons for that?

Let me tell you some. Have you played Daggerfall? Were you a huge fan? I did, and I still am. And I see a game built on the success of that game, but with new designers (Todd was not a designer on Daggerfall). And I see the game-world and lore, built for that game and Arena, used as the basis for the new one. And I see so many of the ideas, so many of the possibilities, and most crucially - the mindset of that game, completely changed, or thrown right out the window. I see a game, Morrowind, which was a total disappointment in that regard. And I see Oblivion potentially making things even WORSE.

Now - can people not express this disappointment with sarcasm and a bit of humour? What the heck is so bad about that? You can go to every mainstream (heck, or just about every) site on the Net if you want bland, non-critical sucking down of hype. What's the big deal if that's not what happens here?

Make no mistake - I would dearly love Oblivion to be a great, great game. But so far, what I have seen of what matters to me - dialogue and choices - do not inspire confidence.

And finally, for the last time, it's not the fact that you can join all the guilds itself. It's what that fact tells us about the gameplay. It strongly suggests there are no real decisions to make - and please try to understand my definition of 'decisions', Rend. My definition of a decision is one which has in-game consequence. (note - 'decisions', not 'actions'). Not consequences I have to imagine for myself. Okay? You've got your definition of decision, I have mine.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Rendelius said:
Vault Dweller said:
Would you like this awesome paper hat? It says WIZZARD LORD on one side.

I love it when arguments are replaced by ignorance and half funny jokes.
Well, when people ignore arguments like you did (how many times it was explained to you in this thread by different people?), jokes follow. The joke wasn't mine, if you did read the tread, but it had a point that you missed. What you suggested is the equivalent of wearing the hat. You are the WIZZARD LORD simply because you are imagining yourself to be one, not because the game or reality in this case acknowledges you to be one.

Acknowledging that your point of view might be not the only one in the universe isn't weakness at all, btw.
Doesn't sound like you speak from experience though. Why don't you follow your own advice first.

If you can't handle a thing called "imagination", I wonder what you are doing with roleplaying games.
That's pretty much your entire argument. You are good at debates, aren't you?

Go back to Morrowind: Did you have to choose the "^" command because it was there? No. Do you have to join all guilds because you could? No. Did yo have to kill Dagoth Ur in 7 minutes because you could? No.
One more time, you are missing the point.

Now, my second point: one has to accept that there are certain limitations to what you can put into a game wnd what not. This is not because of the lazyness or the the lacking good will of the devs and designers, it's due to very real restrictions. As I said, you have only so and so much time and money to do the game, and you have to prioitize things according to this.
Rendie, stop being all righteous and just think before you post. You ignored one example I gave with, the one with the code book. Here is another. Two factions: Fighters and Assassins. 2 quests involving one NPCs. The Fighters are hired to protect him, the Assassins are hired to kill him. If you are a member of both guilds, you are asked to assist both in protection and assassination. Clearly you can't do both. One faction is happy, one faction is pissed. You go up in one faction, you go on a shit list in another. Simple as that. Now tell me it's difficult to implement and it would take a lot of precious resources. In fact, it's not even an extra work because I'm sure that the assassins quests involve killing people. All one's gotta do is to tie such a quest to another faction.

The point is not whether or not one should be able to join all guilds, the point is in Oblivion you will be playing in a vacuum where your actions mean shit because they don't affect anyone or anything.

I hope I was able to show why I think what I think :)
No, you've shown that you don't think.

Don't forget your hat.

kris

Arcane
Rendelius said:
If you really believe that your actions will have no consequences in Oblivion because you can join all for guilds if you will, then I have to assume you know nothing about the game. Most of your actions will have consequences, and it is safe to say you know that - you just do not mention it because it would make your general critizism invalid.

Incredible weak arguement to what was said. The critisizm was about this thing about guild choice not having consequences and as we know now it will not have that. that there are consequences for other things in the game does not make this critisizm less viable. That there are consequences otherwise in the game though makes it a better game in my view, just like consequential guild choice would make that aspect better.

Taking away consequences for actions and logical limitations on choice is like taking away the GM in a PnP or have none listen to him.

Proweler

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Rendelius said:
Vault Dweller said:
The point is not whether or not one should be able to join all guilds, the point is in Oblivion you will be playing in a vacuum where your actions mean shit because they don't affect anyone or anything.

I think they did it for a reason. Many pepole just wanted to finish one or two guilds whit one character. There are plenty of Fighter/Thief Mage/Fighter and Thief/Mage combinations. Not being able to do this because they forgot to put in a way to solve conflicting quests ruins immersion just as much.

If they got to pick between programming for every possible combination of vacuum the choice seems rather simple. The former is impossible, the latter isn't which of course doesn't have to prevent conflicting quests lines within a guild.

Section8

Cipher
I think that's where this argument is breaking down, the rift between the "introspectives" and the "consequentials."

On one side of the fence, there are the "introspectives," the imaginative role-players who don't feel the need to express their character choices, nor have them validated. On the other side are the "consequentials," who are likely to be just as imaginative, but desire a response to their character role.

Personally, I side with the "consequentials." If I want to let my imagination run hog wild, I prefer to do so without limitation. If it must be confined within a certain context, then I want that context to be reactive to my imaginings. Having actual choice and consquence is the "game" part of "role-playing game," and that's what sets it apart from daydreaming.

--

I think people are also getting caught up in exclusion. Let's say there is a certain overlap in guild quests, and to use VDs example, the assassins' guild hires me to off someone. The fighters' guild has a quest to defend the same guy.

If the guild system is designed to be more than just a pissweak linear quest chain, then I should be able to choose not to take the defend quest, or, if I do, I should be able to fail it, with negative consequences, but nothing so dramatic as to completely prevent further progression in the fighters' guild.

We're not about denying choices here, we're all about making those choices more interesting.

Let's say there are no absolutely exclusive choices. Maybe a dedicated player can find themself at the head of each guild, and they have the added bonus that doing so is a challenging, and rewarding experience. If that's not your thing, then it doesn't affect you. You've made you role-play choice to only join one guild, and I fail to see how the game reacting to that choice would in any way diminish the experience.

But, I guess, given that a lot of the argument stems from the idea of resource allocation, that's kind of a moot point. Personally, I think it's a very worthwhile design priniciple, and dedicating manpower to implementing it is certainly not wasted.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Proweler said:
I think they did it for a reason. Many pepole just wanted to finish one or two guilds whit one character. There are plenty of Fighter/Thief Mage/Fighter and Thief/Mage combinations. Not being able to do this because they forgot to put in a way to solve conflicting quests ruins immersion just as much.
Oh, I know they did it for a reason. I don't think they are incompetent and clueless. Yet, that reason, which is appealing to the dumb console crowd, deserves much more criticism than incompetence.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
You're not going to be disappointed with Oblivion, and you've told us why. Now can you understand that there are some people who do expect to be disappointed? Can you at least appreciate that there are good reasons for that?.

No offense taken.

Just to clarify something: I have NO IDEA whatsoever if I will be disappointed with Oblivion or not. I never wrote that I will or won't. I just wrote that I am looking forward to. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I understand that some people will be disappointed by Oblivion, and I might be one of them. I also understand that some will be disappointed by the game no matter what it will be like :)

Best regards,
Rend

Rendelius

Liturgist
@vaultdweller:

In 43 years being on this planet I have learned that there are people not worth discussing with, since they seem to have some allergy to a civilized exchange of arguments. You are most certainly one of them, and I should have believed others who said so. Best luck from here onwards.

:IGNORER:

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh Rendelius, that 's a cop-out.
Things are still civilised. The discussion is still "on-topic" - your reputation has not been impuned has it?

You should see what the likes of Roqua (one of your 'dot regulars) says when he gets involved.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Oh Rendelius, that 's a cop-out.
Things are still civilised. The discussion is still "on-topic" - your reputation has not been impuned has it?

You should see what the likes of Roqua (one of your 'dot regulars) says when he gets involved.

Well, I smell it when something leads to nothing :)

No panic, I will stick around here and take part in discussions, the better part of it has been inspiring and fruitful. This was by no means a general ignorer.

I don't know Roqua, at least not under that name. And FYI, I am no regular dotter anymore, just a supporting act. I had to step back nearly two years ago because my RL job ate me up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom