Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stray Gods (formerly Chorus) - a roleplaying musical from David Gaider

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Fuck Gayder.

When I last checked it, 90% of the comments on the character reveal tweet were about romancing (to put it mildly) those characters. DG pigeonholed himself to a maker of glorified otome / harem games.

And this will forever be his legacy.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Can we please have Zoey Quinn join them?Am I asking that much? Just have all turbo-SJW scum in one studi and let them be busy with some megaproject, that will be so grand and marvellous, that multiple funding campaigns will be needed. Like, Star Social Justice Citizen. So all SJWs would flock to one place.

Dodo1610

Arcane
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/chorus-an-adventure-musical

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F02%2F67a2071c-2d18-4f32-8200-f60e4aedcd48

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignImage%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F02%2F1b884bed-84a5-4a50-b9a3-2ff84dd23139

CHORUS is an adventure musical -- one part narrative-driven adventure and one part interactive musical, written by former BioWare lead writer David Gaider, scored by award-winning composer Austin Wintory, voice-directed by acclaimed actor and director, Troy Baker, and starring the extremely talented Laura Bailey.

Band life is hard -- especially when your incredible new singer appears, dying, at your apartment. And tells you she's a Muse. And gives you her powers?

Grace has had A Weird Day. And it's about to get a whole lot weirder... and more dangerous.

Armed only with the power of kickass musical numbers, you must now prove your innocence in the Muse's death before her relatives - all part of a hidden society of mythological beings called the CHORUS - take your life as punishment.

Featuring a cast of rich and compelling characters, CHORUS is a thrilling tale of gods, romance, danger, and tragedy… all brought to life through the power of song.
A videogame musical
Inspired by musicals like Buffy: Once More With Feeling, Dear Evan Hansen, Hadestown and Wicked, as well as videogames like the Dragon Age series, Life is Strange, and Dream Daddy, CHORUS is the first feature-length videogame musical!

A compelling story of loss, self-discovery, and finding the path
Written by David Gaider, one of the most experienced writers in videogames, CHORUS is a heartfelt, hilarious and tragic tale of loss and hope.

Befriend, negotiate, and even fall in love with an incredible cast of gods and monsters
Delve into an unknown world of mythological gods and monsters, get to know a cast of broken, bizarre and delightful characters, and find out what's going on before it's too late.

Play through original, interactive musical numbers
The highlight of CHORUS is its wholly new interactive musical numbers. Your choices will shape the outcomes: strong-arm, charm or negotiate your way through a world of branching songs!

Gaider and his team want 600k.

I like the urban fantasy settingand the musical part could be fun though I hope they hire a few professional muscal singers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodo1610

Arcane
My biggest complaint about this that I fear they do not take this far enough. If they want to call this a musical game then they need animated choreography with lots of people and full songs. All I see are two people singing at each other and that is not a musical.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/chorus-an-adventure-musical/updates/1037

$100k in 27 hours, press coverage and more!
POSTED: 10/12/2019

Hey everyone!

First of all: THANK YOU SO MUCH! In just 27 hours, we hit over $100k. What an incredible outpouring of passion and excitement! We're completely overwhelmed with how you have all supported us. We've still got a long way to go over the next month, but we hope that with you by our side, we've got a shot at making Chorus a reality.

For our very best chance, the ideal is to hit 30% of our funding target within 48 hours -- so within the next day or so. Every bit towards that goal helps.

So! If Chorus sounds like your thing -- if this game excites you and you want to see it made -- this is the time to help. Tweet about it, message your friends about it, make fanart (tag us and we will ABSOLUTELY retweet you or repost on Facebook), back us or up your pledge if you can, and tell us what you want to see!

We've had some brilliant press coverage over launch as well, including:
If you're on the fence, check out our IGN, GameSpot, VentureBeat and GamesIndustry.biz interviews -- they all go into a fair amount of depth about who we are and what we're doing.

Thank you all again -- we'll have a story update from David for you tomorrow, where we'll start to tell you more about this world and the characters in it. We can't wait for you to read!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F10%2F12%2F7ade0e31-ea8c-4a35-ae6f-097ecf62d5e2

x

Liam and the Summerfall team

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Crap like Broken Age cost $3.3 million so this doesn't seem like an outrageous sum to me given the scope.

Broken Age more or less started off the Kickstarter era, no one knew it was crap at the time it was funded. It was spearheaded by Tim Schafer, who is one of the principal persons behind nearly every LucasArts game fondly remembered today. Gaider is a very minor figure in comparison.

This project is significant for another reason: Its theme and styling is a litmus test for the nu-Bioware audience, which is a subset of the social justice movement in gaming today. Put briefly, it is the ideal game for the Sarkeesians and Heplers of this world. This is also why this funding drive will fail: Banking on the support, and especially financial support, of a crowd known for their fickle allegiance is a poor bet.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is also why this funding drive will fail: Banking on the support, and especially financial support, of a crowd known for their fickle allegiance is a poor bet.
Not so sure. That crowd seems to fuel many Patreons... There's nothing like virtue signaling with real money to prove you're on the right left side of herstory.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
This is also why this funding drive will fail: Banking on the support, and especially financial support, of a crowd known for their fickle allegiance is a poor bet.
Not so sure. That crowd seems to fuel many Patreons... There's nothing like virtue signaling with real money to prove you're on the right left side of herstory.

Actually our respective reasoning run parallel and I agree with you: It is decidedly easier to minutely fund a Patreon or two for the purposes of pushing certain agendas (virtue signalling), than to actually take a risk on a product that is the natural conclusion of such agendas (Chorus).

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Chorus is up to ~540k, with 342k of that coming from "investors", entities who have pledged at least $1000. Looks like the funding drive won't fail after all, but this is a very artificial, even fake way of reaching a crowdfunding goal. There is simply no audience for this: I can't imagine a project with barely 4,000 backers having the commercial niche necessary to break even. If it's not Gaider and company's own money, he is taking some folks for a ride.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chorus is up to ~540k, with 342k of that coming from "investors", entities who have pledged at least $1000. Looks like the funding drive won't fail after all, but this is a very artificial, even fake way of reaching a crowdfunding goal. There is simply no audience for this: I can't imagine a project with barely 4,000 backers having the commercial niche necessary to break even. If it's not Gaider and company's own money, he is taking some folks for a ride.
He's making art here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$374k Fig funds, $229k pledges.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/chorus-an-adventure-musical/updates/1058

Update #11: 100%! WOW!
POSTED: 11/05/2019

This is just a very quick message to say THANK YOU! We just hit $600,000 of backer pledges and investment!

Now on to the stretch goals -- the first of which is romances with Pan and Freddie. The more we raise, the bigger, and better the game will be!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F11%2F02%2Fb580de7c-a34a-44c1-8114-5b2f0c357e06

Thank you all again -- you're the best!

x

Liam and the Summerfall Team

Terra

Cipher
Gaider is starting to remind me of Al Lowe. He should kickstart a Leisure Suit Gaider series in a few years.

I don't even know wtf this game is, kind of unfortunate to see Gaider wasting his time on it when he *might* have another decent crpg in him (in much the same way I'd rather Avellone wasn't spending his time working on everything that isn't an rpg).

Not sure who the audience is for this, if it were an rpg, I could understand attracting that level of funding... Anyway, you don't have my money on this one Gaider. Though I'm sure, like most kickstarted games, it'll be available for peanuts less than a year after release.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Gaider is starting to remind me of Al Lowe. He should kickstart a Leisure Suit Gaider series in a few years.

I don't even know wtf this game is, kind of unfortunate to see Gaider wasting his time on it when he *might* have another decent crpg in him (in much the same way I'd rather Avellone wasn't spending his time working on everything that isn't an rpg).

Not sure who the audience is for this, if it were an rpg, I could understand attracting that level of funding... Anyway, you don't have my money on this one Gaider. Though I'm sure, like most kickstarted games, it'll be available for peanuts less than a year after release.

Isn't that what crowdfunding is for, to make games that have very little chance of being financially successful. I remain hopeful for Chorus, I doubt it will be a genre-defining game but the idea seems interesting and novel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom