Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG's you want most (that aren't being made)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I want more RPGs to use the Sawyer method. How frustrating it is that he's the only sane person in the biz.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
A game with the Setting of Arcanum, the Gameplay-Mechanics of Temple of Elemental Evil and the Atmosphere of Bloodlines - oh, and without major bugs, like the Drakensang Series :)

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
A decent time travel RPG. Seriously why arent there more of those?
It's really hard to write those and you can't just write scenes after scenes and connect them randomly like in the most writers do.
You have to write connect every scene to each other to create one giant plot otherwise it would fall apart with plot holes (and believe me sci-fi fans are the among the most cruel readers)
Other than that it's simply not popular(it was popular for a brief time in 80s)
Expensive: as you have to design new models for every era,make new music,sound effects,weapons and on and on

TL.DR:It's not worth the hassle when you can make 30456th lotr clone and sell it easily.

Here is my dream fantasy crpg (it's a quote from another thread):

What I want from grimdark fantasy is something like Diablo 1, but as a proper crpg. Thatched roofs, demons, "realistic" dark atmosphere, Christian beliefs and mythology, feeling of dread and horror, corrupt bishops, "realistic" sharp isometric graphic etc. Actually Diablo 1 with expanded character system, skills, quests, dialogue and TB combat would be my dream fantasy crpg. Actually a crpg mix between Darklands and Diablo 1 would be a more accurate statement. Praying to saints, gothic cathedrals and churches, evil and satanic cults, open world... Man, I wish I was rich. In an instant I would collect talented devs and make it happen. :( Too bad we'll probably never see a game like this. Blizzard has it's paws on Diablo (which has become shit, and not only setting wise) and I don't think Darklands devs are interested in making Darklands 2. :(

Edit: Hell, now that I think of it, maybe after W2 releases, inXile could start working on acquiring Darklands 2 rights. They didn't do a fantasy rpg yet, especially with such a cool and unique setting. Maybe the original Darklands dev would join them (hopefully). :bounce: That's basically my only tiny glimmer of hope for such a game being possible today. It would be too bad such cool and unique setting falls into oblivion, and all we get are standard elf, dwarf, human fantasy settings a la Tolkien (I do love Tolkien btw). If only someone could put a bug like this in Fargo's ear. Brother None perhaps? :D

To which Nithrakis replied:

Ugh, screw Darklands + Diablo. Get that vile shit out of my Darklands -- I want a full on Darklands sequel/remake. Sure, Obsidian is stealing some Darklands ideas for PE (static CYOA screens, etc.) but that's just cruel teasing; like MCA showing a little ankle. NW2:SoZ took a few design inspirations from Darklands as well but for some reason I could not get into a frame of mind where I could enjoy that expansion. I think it's the Forgotten Realms setting. Piss on it. I hate it. Elminster can go fuck his self-important, near omnipotent asshole. Maybe the resulting orgasm will destroy the realms once and for all.

That aside; where are the historical cRPGs? It boggles my simple mind that no one is making a proper RPG in a real historical setting, preferably European, ala Darklands. Are devs too afraid of offending sensitive European nationalities or something?

As he misunderstood my intentions. No I don't want better Inquisitor game. This is my reply:

Bro I only mention Diablo 1 because I like the graphics style very much, and the dread and creepy atmosphere which is superb. Music also. Something can be gained there. And Darklands isn't a historical crpg, it has fantasy elements, and it's much cooler for it IMO. Like praying to saints for various buffs, and all the creatures from medieval german folklore. I don't think it would be as interesting to me at least if it didn't have that supernatural elements. How creepy it is to find an innocent looking village, only to find they kill travelers and worship satan and have an altar devoted to evil. Or witches cult. Etc. It's a great setting and original for a fantasy crpg, and I'm sincerely hoping someone will pick up the rights and make Darklands 2 a quality crpg before it falls into oblivion completely.

Everybody always does generic fantasy. Why not christian mythology fantasy? And real medieval folklore and beliefs fantasy? Mostly German (at least in Darklands). It really is great.

So yeah, that's basically my dream fantasy crpg. The motives of corruption, pure evil, dread, and a dose of "realism", satanic influence which you combat, and very important gothic motives and styling etc.

PS. Fantasy is not my favorite genre. It's just that I'm too lazy to write something on the other takes of crpg. Maybe some other time I will write another dream crpg in a different genre.

Zeriel

Arcane
Unfortunately, when you say "fantasy", most people think "high fantasy" with elves and fairies (and not even the cool, horror-angled Germanic type) and all that homoerotic shit. If you just say "medieval-period horror RPG", you capture what you're going for much more accurately, I think.

Unfortunately, when you say "fantasy", most people think "high fantasy" with elves and fairies (and not even the cool, horror-angled Germanic type) and all that homoerotic shit. If you just say "medieval-period horror RPG", you capture what you're going for much more accurately, I think.

I'll keep that in mind for future ramblings. Thx bro. I secretly hope Fargo will pick it up (Darklands 2). They need a fantasy crpg now, and it's pretty original to stand out sufficiently. I just hope W2 and Torment become a great success, so they have the chance to make more crpgs. It wouldn't be to far fetched that they bring Arnold Hendrick and kickstart it. And yes, I know the Darklands brand has nowhere near the appeal as IE games, and even Wasteland (because of Fallout). :( But still, for someone wanting to do a crpg in fantasy setting, this would be a refreshing and unique thing to do. Hope I get to see it done properly. All we get now is Tolkien variation of fantasy in every single game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
After the awesomeness that was the adventure games by Legend Ent., I'd love to see an RPG based on Frederick Pohl's Gateway books. Won't happen though :(.

As for the theme of the game, I'd like it to be somewhat "hard SF" and emphasize space/planet exploration, weird encounters and first contacts with alien species. Something like the novel and later text adventure Gateway, but done as a party-based RPG.

Oh I know a game that is sort of RPG, party based, weird aliens, planet "exploration" and has the main plot ripped straight out of Gateway. It's called Mass Effect :)

Bloodlines 2 (not direct sequel, just same idea in same universe, with similar use of the Troika 'wel'll give hints but never a full answer' explanation of why you're able to kill elders as an apparent fledgling (the way that characters commented on that, several as though they knew why but weren't telling, was the Bloodlineds equivalent of Arcanum's half-ogre quest).
Journey to the Centre of Arcanum
A proper BG3 (as opposed to the Throne of Bhaal expansion) - mind you, we'd need to go back in time to when Bioware weren't retarded.
Not a crpg, but I'd love another game in the Tex Murphy / Under a Killing Moon series (actually that would make for a great anachranox style crpg, so long as they kept some enemies who couldn't be beaten in straight combat - finally killing the Chameleon at the end of the 'A Chameleon to One' chapter, after he's been fucking you up all game, and can easily kill you without effort, was amazingly satisfying)l
A new Risen game in the spirit of Gothic: NotR
Wizardry 9
Updated (in an isometric exploration sense, not a 'new school' sense of the Buck Rogers' crpgs.
The Cthulu game that VD's studio was working on.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to have a proper Warhammer RPG. Actually, make that two. Both a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and a 40k one.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'd like to have a proper Warhammer RPG. Actually, make that two. Both a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and a 40k one.

It's actually kinda perplexing why there hasn't already been a Warhammer RPG at some point, either Fantasy or RPG. I mean, it's not like WFRP doesn't exist so they don't have direct sources to draw their material from. Not to mention Dark Heresy.

KhqxzmI.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not a crpg, but I'd love another game in the Tex Murphy

You're in luck, bro.

Another two RPG - or, well, maybe semi-RPG? - type games I'd like would be:
1. A Sims clone that actually has real gameplay. Create a character and try to make your way through life as best as possible. Do a boring office job and climb the career ladder, or do some shady shit like document forgery, breaking into other Sims' houses and stealing stuff, using blackmail (find out a coworker has an affair with the boss' wife; extort money out of him), etc. Everything you do should have actual consequences, and other Sims should have actual personalities and preferences. Also add a combat system. Then just add a ton of random/scripted events like King of Dragon Pass or Paradox' grand strategy games have, and you have a Sims game that's actually fun.

2. A first person action RPG with a heavy survival element. Think Robinson's Requiem. You play some guy or girl who stranded on a large but uncharted island, and start out only with the clothes you wore when the ship sunk. You can salvage some additional clothing or maybe even a weapon or two from luggage the waves carried to the beach. If you find a firearm and ammo, treasure it - it'll be a rare thing and you should conserve the ammo for when you really need it. And do make sure to get some additional clothes, especially shoes, since clothing deteriorates - it rips and tears whenever you take damage from attacks or when you run quickly through a heavily forested area (cloth catching on branches and all that). You also get hungry, thirsty and tired so you have to find a source of water ASAP, build a shelter to sleep in and learn the ways of a hunter and gatherer.
Now, with clothing that can get damaged, a need for food and water and rest, and a scarcity of resources, the game would already be quite a harsh survival sim. You would have to learn several crafting skills to make your own primitive weapons and tools and then try not to die. But at night, shit gets even worse: dangerous creatures come out of the forest and hunt for fresh meat, so you have to make a shelter that's actually safe. The main quest would be to find out just wtf those things are and where they come from and to stop them. In the end, there would be some old ruins to dungeon-crawl through.
You can also discover a fortified settlement further inland where other survivors of shipwrecks have built a small community - it appears that over the centuries, many ships have marooned in this area and many people have stranded on this island. There's something strange about the island that makes it invisible from afar and the surrounding waters dangerous for ships. That will be the only peaceful place in the game, but since you will have to explore the entire island, you can't always rely on it being there. It'll also be the main hub for trading and questing.
With a harsh wound system that requires bandaging and disinfecting of wounds and allows for permanent cripplings, and with scarcity of resources and the need to craft tools, weapons and clothing yourself this would be an incredibly unforgiving action RPG with a focus on survival. It would be glorious.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Another two RPG - or, well, maybe semi-RPG? - type games I'd like would be:
1. A Sims clone that actually has real gameplay. Create a character and try to make your way through life as best as possible. Do a boring office job and climb the career ladder, or do some shady shit like document forgery, breaking into other Sims' houses and stealing stuff, using blackmail (find out a coworker has an affair with the boss' wife; extort money out of him), etc. Everything you do should have actual consequences, and other Sims should have actual personalities and preferences. Also add a combat system. Then just add a ton of random/scripted events like King of Dragon Pass or Paradox' grand strategy games have, and you have a Sims game that's actually fun.

What you wanted is actually what spore was marketed to us(expect you want to play as human).
Well you know how that ended.

2. A first person action RPG with a heavy survival element. Think Robinson's Requiem. You play some guy or girl who stranded on a large but uncharted island, and start out only with the clothes you wore when the ship sunk. You can salvage some additional clothing or maybe even a weapon or two from luggage the waves carried to the beach. If you find a firearm and ammo, treasure it - it'll be a rare thing and you should conserve the ammo for when you really need it. And do make sure to get some additional clothes, especially shoes, since clothing deteriorates - it rips and tears whenever you take damage from attacks or when you run quickly through a heavily forested area (cloth catching on branches and all that). You also get hungry, thirsty and tired so you have to find a source of water ASAP, build a shelter to sleep in and learn the ways of a hunter and gatherer.
Now, with clothing that can get damaged, a need for food and water and rest, and a scarcity of resources, the game would already be quite a harsh survival sim. You would have to learn several crafting skills to make your own primitive weapons and tools and then try not to die. But at night, shit gets even worse: dangerous creatures come out of the forest and hunt for fresh meat, so you have to make a shelter that's actually safe. The main quest would be to find out just wtf those things are and where they come from and to stop them. In the end, there would be some old ruins to dungeon-crawl through.
You can also discover a fortified settlement further inland where other survivors of shipwrecks have built a small community - it appears that over the centuries, many ships have marooned in this area and many people have stranded on this island. There's something strange about the island that makes it invisible from afar and the surrounding waters dangerous for ships. That will be the only peaceful place in the game, but since you will have to explore the entire island, you can't always rely on it being there. It'll also be the main hub for trading and questing.
With a harsh wound system that requires bandaging and disinfecting of wounds and allows for permanent cripplings, and with scarcity of resources and the need to craft tools, weapons and clothing yourself this would be an incredibly unforgiving action RPG with a focus on survival. It would be glorious.
This somewhat reminded me of minecraft and i think it's interesting too but i haven't really seen a game that tries realistic survival concept to that degree and i don't think they ever will(except indies of course)

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I want a Dragonlance RPG. ToEE engine/combat.
Or a historic RPG during the crusades.
Or a completely over the top alternate-history-alternate-religion-RPG about the life of Christ, where you decide how he handles all his stuff. I mean He and His.

hiver

A Hard Science Fiction RPG. Using one of the settings from the best novels or authors of that branch of Science Fiction. Situations and events greater then THOUGH - you are just a small human individual trying to survive or exist and find your way in these huge events.
Combat being a secondary feature. Several non-combat classes or skills fully useful in the game. Advanced Turn based combat built on TOEE as a base, really mature themes, no kiddie cheap quests or solutions to them. Game options you actually earn through gameplay - including being able to save. Independent companions you can give orders to - like Fallout.

Partial voice overs, of course. Partial dialogue battles.

Very little game ending failures, instead consequences and appropriate gameplay.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A mix of Uncharted Waters exploration on water and CRPG exploration on land, with lots of events and stat checks on the map. Similar to Tunnels & Trolls regarding ship exploration and Realms of Arkania map events. You should also be able to enter towns and dungeons with maybe a shift away from 3rd person to 1st.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom