Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Codex Year of the Donut
Playing through as Fane this time, never realized how much reactivity the game has to your race until I got to use the shapeshifter mask. Lots of things gated behind race checks. The shapeshifter mask is great, each shape essentially has its own conversation state with NPCs.

Codex Year of the Donut
Kind of funny that they took the time to check the Spider's Kiss tag in the offchance you have it but didn't bother to check whether my character is a skeleton and doesn't have a heart :lol:
sgms33E.png

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Playing through as Fane this time, never realized how much reactivity the game has to your race until I got to use the shapeshifter mask. Lots of things gated behind race checks. The shapeshifter mask is great, each shape essentially has its own conversation state with NPCs.

YEs, and he seems to be the funnier one to play as main. Lohse as the tourist entertainer possessed by a demon or the egomaniac lizard quickly got on my nerves. They are less cringy as companions.

How did you build him ?

Codex Year of the Donut

YEs, and he seems to be the funnier one to play as main. Lohse as the tourist entertainer possessed by a demon or the egomaniac lizard quickly got on my nerves. They are less cringy as companions.

How did you build him ?
I'm playing on tactician, BTW.
Primarily Geomancer/Necromancer, all stat points put into int, uses a wand+shield(rarely ever actually attack things with it, shields are good for the armor.) Damaging spells of both scale off of int so he can do good damage to either magic or physical armor.
I dip almost all my characters into huntsman — first aid removes knockdown/blind/silence for 1AP, which is really important on tactician. The dip into huntsman also gives access to Throw Dust, a nice geo damaging ability/blind. For Fane, I put 2 points into it for tactical retreat though.
I also put 1 point into hydro primarily for armor of frost — another key ability because it removes stunned/frozen/petrified for 1AP.
And again, 1 point into Scoundrel for The Pawn feat(0 AP movement is huge, especially for casters with the elemental affinity talent), Adrenaline Rush(Never know when you might need that extra emergency AP), and chloroform(1 AP CC with great range and resisted by magic armor — what's not to love? I use it a lot.) Also gives another jump ability which is useful when navigating areas that require it without having to wait for a single ability's cooldown.

Ifan is another good one to play as main, BTW. The two(Ifan & Fane) also happen to make up the origin characters that have very important ties to the story itself.

Mud'

Scholar
Ifan is another good one to play as main, BTW. The two(Ifan & Fane) also happen to make up the origin characters that have very important ties to the story itself.

I am thinking of replaying D:OS2 because of all the BG3 hype, so i guess Ifan is the way to go, i just cant decide who to take along with me as companions.

I already took Loshe and the red prince i think his name was and the Beast, i killed the edgy elf companion because she was a bitch.

Is the elf bitch a good companion? Same with Fane.

Also i saw a mod that rebalances a lot of the bad shit with D:OS2.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1953266629

Seems pretty good with the armor balance, dunno if the stupid health bloat is still there but its a start.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

I am thinking of replaying D:OS2 because of all the BG3 hype, so i guess Ifan is the way to go, i just cant decide who to take along with me as companions.

I already took Loshe and the red prince i think his name was and the Beast, i killed the edgy elf companion because she was a bitch.

Seems pretty good with the armor balance, dunno if the stupid health bloat is still there but its a start.

Sebille is fun to use as a witch. Her lines are ok, not too cringy level of Rivellon. The thing with this game is the lore is really weak.

About the mod, well I got used to play with this weird armor system now. But I think I'll install the "level up all equipment mod".

Yosharian

Arcane

Wow that mod looks awesome.

Puukko

Arcane
Just started a modded coop playthrough today using Odinblade's class overhauls, armor based saving throws and some QoL mods. OS2 is definitely the kind of game that benefits greatly from mods that change the combat - after 100+ hours, I don't think I'd be able to muster any more of the same spells and balance. I went with a "deathlord" class - essentially a death knight, while my buddy opted for a mass summoning necromancer, which may not be exactly the most balanced, but we know the game well enough that we can tune it to our liking should it get too easy. I normally very rarely play tanky melee characters, and having access to spells from two different necromancy mods should make for some interesting builds.

I was surprised to find out that not only did they integrate some mods as options in the game itself, but that it permits clients to download the host's mods in the lobby.

I'm mostly interested in the content they added to Act 3 since it definitely felt a bit barren and I haven't read up on any of it, but that's ways away yet.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Polymorph's Chameleon Cloak breaks game AI.

For a rogue, it is, I guess, but as soon as you take damages (like if you walk on a fire surface) you loose your invisibility, no ?

What I would like is an ability to get my non melee characters out of difficult situations. Tactical retreat seems good for that.

But some polymorph spells seems good to complete any build ; spread your wings for instance. Actually, I'm tempted to put a point or two in necro or poly to all my characters.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Polymorph's Chameleon Cloak breaks game AI.

For a rogue, it is, I guess, but as soon as you take damages (like if you walk on a fire surface) you loose your invisibility, no ?

What I would like is an ability to get my non melee characters out of difficult situations. Tactical retreat seems good for that.

That's too simplistic.
Try giving it to everyone in the party and have the whole party turn invisible in the first round. Save all that AP with delays and then unload with an alpha strike.
Or have the first guy engage then turn invisible as the monsters make a beeline towards the faraway party. Once the monster reaches the faraway party, have them turn invisible.
It just breaks the routine completely.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I installed this again yesterday and in a bid to avoid as much writing as I could tried to roll with a single character with lone wolf.

Is Lone wolf broken? It seems to me that the game has become even easier.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Fane is the best character.
The mask allows you access to various dialogue that would be gated based on race you pick as well as access to racial abilities from all races, time warp ability which is just an extra turn because why not, immunity to deathfog, infinite lockpicking, the scholar and mystic tags and a cool story perspective.
Did I miss something?

Edit: oh yeah, playing dead, which kinda allows you to reset an encounter and pick them off 1 by one.

Last edited:

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
in a bid to avoid as much writing as I could

I wonder how they reached the conclusion : hey our writing is so good, let's pay actors to voice it all.

Fane is the best character.
The mask allows you access to various dialogue that would be gated based on race you pick as well as access to racial abilities from all races, time warp ability which is just an extra turn because why not, immunity to deathfog, infinite lockpicking, the scholar and mystic tags and a cool story perspective.
Did I miss something?

Edit: oh yeah, playing dead, which kinda allows you to reset an encounter and pick them off 1 by one.

Yes, playing dead is a great talent ! It's also great cheese.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think the craziest cheese is just him pounding some guy's Physical Armor to zero with Overpower and then Shackle of Pain Curse the poor sap. Then cast Living on the Edge on himself.
Now start drinking those big healing potions to deal 1220 Vitality damage per pop. And it just takes 1 AP to drink the potion.

Five-Star Diner doubles ALL food and potion effects... so ... have fun I guess. I can't seem to recall if that actually works to heal & kill trigger.... would be lulzy tho if you eat those % healing food to double the amount triggered by the curse damage.

Other notable perks are self-explanatory:

unknown.png

This one is too good to skip.
Especially when you want more damage from your Warfare dude.
Losing HP isn't gonna happen if you alpha strike right from Cloak.

Last edited:

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
All right, but once again its tedious gear system pushed me out of this game. I'm not an inventory management fan, not in games, not in real life. I want the event of finding a magic item to be special, not an hourly routine. I finally got used to the armor system, to the initiative system, to Rivellon's cheesiness, but this is too much. It's crazy, while playing this game I've found myself missing POE2's gear! lol

Bara

Arcane
Anyone by chance know if steam archives streams? Apparently there was one yesterday talking about the next giftbag of dlcs.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh of course Youtube's auto transcription does wonder. You can just search inside videos.

From part 1:

11:25
Someone's asking if you are planning more gift bags

Um we won't talk about the full plans but there is a gift bag on the way, I will say that. But in future dates and things like that we'll announce when it's time.

2:12:28
Can you get a gift bag that lets you have six followers. I don't know if that a thing

I mean, I know it's been a mod before yeah. I can't really talk too much about the future gift bag plans but um can certainly pass that suggestion along.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom