Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DOOM Eternal’s first major update has arrived! Log in today to enjoy free, all-new content including the Precious Metals Event, Empowered Demons, Single player campaign updates, Battlemode balance changes, and more. Read the Update 1 details at slayersclub.com.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For all the sound and fury about Steam and Securom back in the day, and Denuvo now, very few actually care and it has zero impact on sales. It's a siren with no cop car. I wish people actually gave a shit, but they don't.

Vorark

Erudite
Classy move to add the anti-cheat module a month or two after release.

Up until now all a Denuvo-crippled game did to the system was write a single license file (token) to the disk after phoning home for authentication. However, this is too much. The less middleware needed to play a game - be it a launcher, anti-cheat or w/e - the better, let alone software hooking up into the kernel.

Seems it's also needed for offline, single player mode if the screenshot bellow is genuine.

XUburvN.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow I love the many posts on Reddit saying "Since I do not know what this DRM is doing to my computer I will download a pirate and cracked version off a torrent website !".

UserNamer

Cipher
For all the sound and fury about Steam and Securom back in the day, and Denuvo now, very few actually care and it has zero impact on sales. It's a siren with no cop car. I wish people actually gave a shit, but they don't.
T
fan base is revolting and making lots of memes repurposing game dialigue

I think the situation right now is funny

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Unbelievable. Simply astonishing. My framerate also went down by 20 FPS in this patch.

I'm sure it was Bethesda who put this in. No matter what you think of their game, Id have talented programmers. You bet they know what this kernel level driver means. Just when I thought Bethesda was alright again, they pull off this shit.

I hope that if people get hacked because of this and lose sensitive information they sue Bethesda and maybe even Denuvo to hell with a class action lawsuit. Hell, we might even have a reason right now to sue.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I hope the people working at Denuvo go bankrupt, never get a job again and are forced to suck cock for the rest of their lives.

A paying customer gets a worse experience than pirates. Unbelievable.

Silly Germans

Has this happened before ? I know that many games had Denuvo removed some time after release but i can't recall a game that got Denuvo patched in after it was already released.

Learned
The game had Denuvo DRM aka Denuvo Anti-Temper all along. The fresh hell they patched in is called Denuvo Anti-Cheat, its multiplayer component.

People keep saying "they added Denuvo post launch" which understandably gets confusing because of the names.

racofer

Thread Incliner
They backpedalled on Denuvo anti cheat:
We're currently working on PC only Update 1.1 for DOOM Eternal that will remove Denuvo anti-cheat and address a number of crashes.
https://twitter.com/idSoftware/status/1263219538587516934?s=20

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/gnjlo7/latest_information_on_update_1_anticheat/
That's nice to see. The bitching about Denuvo anti-cheat in a game that already launched with Denvuo seemed dumb as shit, but I'm happy to have (Some) Denuvo removed regardless. And that's one area where Bethesda's been slightly decent, they've been fairly good about patching out Denuvo after a few months anyway which I wish more companies would do. Get your DRM in to maximize initial sales and then scrape it off when it doesn't really matter any more. The anti-cheat feels particularly odd since I can't imagine Doom Eternal's multiplayer is popular enough to have people giving a shit about cheating.

In fact, just to toss another minor bit of praise Bethesda's way, I notice they didn't affix the Official Star Of Steam Review Tampering Shame to themselves, despite the reviews taking a massive hit. May be due to incompetence and not even knowing they can scrub those negative reviews, or maybe they're just taking their lumps and responding by removing what offended people.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
D2016 did have cheaters but I forgot all about that. What really bothered me was all that good level art wasted on mediocre multiplayer. Still, companies need to find less intrusive ways to eliminate cheaters and collaborate with less controversial providers. If I see Denuvo I automatically think something is up. Not fair that pirates get a better service than customers.

Good on Marty for being such a good guy.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Let's not start giving them too much credit. People are already forgiving them and putting them in their good guy book. They shouldn't have done this in the first place.

Surprisingly good response.

Have to ask, was cheating really a huge problem in Doom 2016 MP? To the point where anti-cheat needed ring-0 access to make it harder to cheat? I have a feeling that simple, basic anti-cheat works for a game like this since not a ton of effort goes into games that aren't CSGO-level of competitiveness.

Furthermore DoomE has even less reason to cheat since there isn't really Player vs. player but player vs. player monsters. Monsters all have non-hitscan attacks vs. a player that can dash, so aimbots are basically useless (and they can also see through walls so wallhacks are meaningless), while monsters are pretty slow and effortless to track as a player. I guess an aimbot that snaps to heads is still effective for the few monsters with head weakpoints but that's kind of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom