Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Melcar

Arcane
Fast V Sync is garbage and does nothing to prevent tearing
I think he meant adaptive sync like G-Sync which not only completely eliminates tearing but also has no input lag unlike traditional vsync. I upgraded from a traditional 60hz monitor to g-sync compatible 165hz MAG274QRF-QD and you couldn't force me to go back. With the recent revival of the "boomer shooter" genre and so many amazing shooters, imo it's the best time to upgrade to at least 120hz. You don't even need a beefy GPU since all of them aim for that retro 2.5D/low poly aesthetics.

No, nvidia has an option called fast sync (last time I checked). Granted, I don't know if it works as good as AMD's enhanced sync or Mesa's mailbox. They are vsync options but with uncapped fps. Mailbox at least, almost eliminates screen tearing on my old 60Hz monitor, letting me enjoy reduced latency of 100+ frames.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm one of those people who was floored when i bought my first high frequency monitor.

zDoom was the first game i tried and i couldn't believe my eyes. I then tried Starcraft 2 and i knew then there was no way i could go back to 60 FPS. Hell, even just moving windows while on the desktop felt amazing.

That said, it's worth pointing out that the threshold is 100+ FPS. That seems to be the point where it makes the most difference after that i barely even notice if a game is 100 FPS or 165 which is the max frequency of my curent monitor.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
AMD's enhanced sync
It doesn't work all of the time, currently it's broken with many old games like NWN2, Witcher 1 etc. But yes, it completely eliminates tearing (which I don't care about at all, so in this aspect I'm extremely lucky). In any case, I can't imagine anyone playing any online shooter with locked 60 fps like Multidirectional suggested, even an 80yo granny should note the difference in granularity of controll between hypothetical 60 and 300 fps

Hell, even just moving windows while on the desktop feelt amazing.
The next stage is the various BFI varieties (ELMB/ULMB etc), most closest experience to a CRT monitor that you can get with modern decline-era technologies

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why would you even need more than 100 fps, can the human eye see that many?
Yes absolutely
The difference between 60fps and 120fps isn't as drastic as 30fps is to 60fps, but it's noticeable - 144hz monitors really are worth it
In fact you can still spot an improvement in "smoothness" from 120fps to 240fps

Now more than that...
Well competitive fps players claim that they need 500hz monitors because they can make out the difference and so need something that high
But if it's true or not...

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I can't imagine still playing PC games and not having a minimum 120/144hz monitor nowadays.
Yeah but like you said monitors last much longer than other components
And when I bought my budget 1080p/75Hz monitor for 120€, even the cheapest 1080p/144Hz monitors costed at least 200€

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is the ancient gods DLC any good? Thinking about picking it up on this sale, but it has very middling reviews.

Is the ancient gods DLC any good? Thinking about picking it up on this sale, but it has very middling reviews.

I had some fun with DLCs but they are worse than base game and the new enemies they add are mostly just annoying. Being absolutely forced to use specific weapon or attack only at certain time to be able to kill the enemy is garbage design. Marrauders in base game were dumb enough but were tolerable because they were the exception from everything else and weren't overused. DLCs go futher into that direction. And the last boss fight of DLC is the culmination of that idiocy.
If you haven't done base game on Nightmare yet, I'd recommend replaying that instead. It's more fun.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I was skeptical if the game remains challenging once you are fully equipped, but they managed to do that. I'd say go for the dlcs, if you want more action that escalates further. But if you feel tired by the base game you can skip the dlc, there are no substantial changes. Overall I liked the dlcs, since I wanted more of the same at higher difficulty, and that is provided, especially in the first part.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I was skeptical if the game remains challenging once you are fully equipped, but they managed to do that. I'd say go for the dlcs, if you want more action that escalates further. But if you feel tired by the base game you can skip the dlc, there are no substantial changes. Overall I liked the dlcs, since I wanted more of the same at higher difficulty, and that is provided, especially in the first part.
More enemies like the marauder does not inspire confidence.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
More enemies like the marauder does not inspire confidence.
There are Blood Maykrs that can only be attacked while they charge their attack. They look similar to Drones and are best killed by headshots. Then there are Riot soldiers that are similar to Shield soldiers but with an indestructible shield. You have to navigate behind them or use a explosive in their back. Then there are Ghosts which possess other enemies and give them a massive boost, similar to a totem boost. These have to be killed with the plasma gun microwave beam after killing the possessed unit. Then there are Armored Barons, which have to be stripped of their armor, before they can be damaged, but there is no specific timing to it. I think the armor is weak to plasma and that's it. I didn't mind the new enemies, but its true that they require certain approaches or you won't make much leeway on higher difficulties.

Looks like they were butthurt about nobody using the shitty plasma microwave mod and just gave us an enemy that forces us to use it. Same with stone imps and full auto mod for shotgun.

KVVRR

Learned
Personally I found the base game just a bit too easy, with only the later half of the base game giving a challenge so I loved the DLCs. Felt like a proper ramp up in difficulty even if gimmicky at parts.
Garbage final boss though.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
mods comin
GIjXyf-bYAAY_7y

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom