Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's all the more annoying because arenas aren't just one long fight, there's luls and respawns and shit so the music keeps coming and going even in the middle of a fight.

Any strategy how to beat Holt Slayer's Gate?

I'm completely stuck, too much shit is going on there - 2 Archviles, 2 Blood Maykers, 2 Doom Hunters and possessed Marauder... and it is a nerfed version! Pre-patched had 3 Archviles, 3 Blood Maykers and yet another Marauder WTF?
Is that the order in which they appear? Always make a beeline towards Archviles and prioritize them over everything else (except for a cursed prowler). I like to immediately hit them with a frost bomb and then unload everything I've got on them.

Blood Maykrs are easy. Just a couple of headshots with the ballista or cannon with sniper mod.

Doom Hunters are also pretty easy once you know what to do. A frost bomb then blood punch while frozen will usually destroy the bottom part of them. Then lock-on with rocket launcher to finish.

For a possessed Marauder, just make sure to stay ahead of it. Use the super shotgun - ballista quick-swap combo, but make sure you have enough plasma ammo to kill the Spirit with the microwave beam as soon as the Marauder goes down.

Heh, that exactly tactics I'm using, the problem is too much shit at same time being thrown at player. I'm playing on Ultra-Violence and this is the first time I consider lowering difficulty to Hurt Me Plenty.

JDR13

Arcane

I'm completely stuck, too much shit is going on there - 2 Archviles, 2 Blood Maykers, 2 Doom Hunters and possessed Marauder... and it is a nerfed version! Pre-patched had 3 Archviles, 3 Blood Maykers and yet another Marauder WTF?
Is that the order in which they appear? Always make a beeline towards Archviles and prioritize them over everything else (except for a cursed prowler). I like to immediately hit them with a frost bomb and then unload everything I've got on them.

Blood Maykrs are easy. Just a couple of headshots with the ballista or cannon with sniper mod.

Doom Hunters are also pretty easy once you know what to do. A frost bomb then blood punch while frozen will usually destroy the bottom part of them. Then lock-on with rocket launcher to finish.

For a possessed Marauder, just make sure to stay ahead of it. Use the super shotgun - ballista quick-swap combo, but make sure you have enough plasma ammo to kill the Spirit with the microwave beam as soon as the Marauder goes down.

Heh, that exactly tactics I'm using, the problem is too much shit at same time being thrown at player. I'm playing on Ultra-Violence and this is the first time I consider lowering difficulty to Hurt Me Plenty.
I finished both expansions on Ultra-Violence. The only encounters that really frustrated me were some of the bosses. Make sure you collect all the extra lives.

Sjukob

Arcane
BTW, one of the things that hurt both games for me is the shitty sound design. This is an aspect that barely gets mentioned but is one of those cases where technological progress gets in the way of functionality. In original Doom, you could pinpoint any enemy from any direction just from the distinct sound they made. On both nu-Doom games, you could get stomped to death by a baron or a pinky at point blank range and you wouldn't hear a peep because the mighty "dynamic" sound system was too busy channeling the noises of the imps 50 yards away from you. I found it to be absolutely maddening at points. Maybe it's because i just have a pair of speakers on my desktop and the sound system is made for multichannel surround systems or something but even then how hard can it be to just make sure what's closest to you is actually loudest at all times.
Indeed, new Doom sound design is probably the worst one I've ever experienced in a video game, precisely because of the said shit.

I finished both expansions on Ultra-Violence. The only encounters that really frustrated me were some of the bosses. Make sure you collect all the extra lives.

I had no extra life nor BFG ammo : / But I started Holt Slayer's Gate on HMP and beat it on a first try in like 5 minutes lol.

Ezekiel

Arcane
This game's art direction is ugly, the UI is a mess, the music is ugly too, there's too much to unlock, too many screens, and I'm probably never gonna finish it.

Caim

Arcane
just realized DOOM backwards spells MOOD
EO77tfoX0AYPWbB

HansDampf

Arcane
As much fun as I had with this game, it has rather low replay value. I bought it on sale with season pass when TAG1 was released, played through main game and TAG1, and thought I would play TAG2 as soon as it's out, for sure. Nope. Two years later, and I still don't feel like playing it again. It's staring me in the face every time I check my list to decide what game to play next. Yet I keep going back to old Doom instead to play custom maps.
My problem with Eternal is that combat tends to play the same way across the majority of the game. There are many enemies in old Doom that can change the flow a fight. Revenants -> completely change the way you have to move around the arena. Roaming Archviles -> have to stay near cover and wait for opportunities to attack. Archvile turrets -> area denial. Cyberdemon -> infighting galore. Pain Elementals -> holy shit. Chaingunners -> have to break line of sight to avoid hitscan. And so on, plus various, evil combinations of them.
In Eternal, most fights play out the same way. You hop around the arena like a gorilla to dodge everything, farm the infinitely respawning fodder enemies for resources, then quickswap between your strongest weapons to kill the big enemies. Whether you are fighting Hell Knights, Barons, Mancubuses, or even Tyrants, doesn't matter much. It's fun. But once you've mastered this dance, there's hardly anything that will surprise you. The only enemy that breaks this pattern a bit is the Marauder. That's how I remember my playthrough, at least. Quickswapping is also something I like in principle, but it gets a bit too spastic and reduces the weapons to their damage values. You don't have to do it, but it's too big of an advantage not to do it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The only enemy that breaks this pattern a bit is the Marauder.
Funnily enough I think Marauder had the opposite effect for me
All other enemies (except cacodemons) had multiple effective ways of killing them, but the Marauder was the one I always fell back into the same pattern to fight them (again, except for cacodemons)

I distinctly remember 2016 level design to be better. Not just in terms of complexity
Nah sorry, but in this regard its the other way around
In the last third of 2016, the levels are all literally: Corridor > Simple Circular/Box Arena > Corridor > Simple Circular/Box Arena > etc
2016 has some highlights like "Foundry", but Eternal is simply more consistent with it's quality from beginning to end (not mention far more varied in locations)

Max Damage

Savant
Think I'm done with Ancient Gods Part 1, most of the new enemies aren't fun to fight, Marauders are spammed way too often, and the arenas keep bugging out (fodder keeps respawning without progressing, have to restart and do it all again), which is just great when every one of them is endurance round. I've reached the forest level after swamp, and the background magical washing machine noise gave me actual headache, it won't fucking stop. I'll go take a walk, hopefully I feel better by the time I come back.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I saw that this was on sale on steam but I see that it still say that it requires a Bethesda account on the steam page,I though that bethesda net was nuked wasn't it?

randir14

Augur
I saw that this was on sale on steam but I see that it still say that it requires a Bethesda account on the steam page,I though that bethesda net was nuked wasn't it?
They got rid of the Bethesda launcher requirement, I don't know about the account itself.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
They got rid of the Bethesda launcher requirement, I don't know about the account itself.

So you need to make an account so that Todd Howard and Pete Hines can spam you?

I don't remember having to make any Bethesda account when I switched from non removed version to Steam version. I think I would remember if it happened because I get triggered by these type of things. If you're looking to buy it on Steam and not on some key reseller site, why not just try it? It's not like it's hard to get a refund should you encounter that problem.

Max Damage

Savant
Dark Lord is the shittiest boss fight ever, I have 2 or 3 more health states of this glorified marauder to chew through, and I'm so fucking done with this DLC. It's been months since I finished Ancient Gods 1, but part 2 is even worse, I seriously don't remember ever feeling this exhausted and pissed off by the sheer amount of repetitiveness, gimmicky enemies with specific counters and bullet sponges. Whoever designed this shit deserves BFG up their ass.

I agree, the final fight is definitely the worst part of the game. In general I don't think Doom Eternal does boss fights well and it's arena combat vs regular enemies where it shines. However I did like second DLC better than the first one overall.

Caim

Arcane
Ancient Gods 2's story is akin to the base game where you can see there's a story there, but it's obvious that there have been massive cuts to a larger story and it's obvious that the bits you've glued together don't really fit together. Why can the Slayer ride a dragon? Fuck you, that's why. What's with all the weird things in pods in the World Spear? Fuck you, that's what. How has the giant stargate in the middle of the Balkans not been looted by the slavs yet? Fuck you, that's how. Where are all the dudes coming from in your final assault on hell like it's Avengers Endgame? Fuck you, that's where.

I mean, awesome for the sake of awesome works in the gameplay, but in the story there has to be at least some kind of explaination.

Ash

Arcane
Nah sorry, but in this regard its the other way around
In the last third of 2016, the levels are all literally: Corridor > Simple Circular/Box Arena > Corridor > Simple Circular/Box Arena > etc
2016 has some highlights like "Foundry", but Eternal is simply more consistent with it's quality from beginning to end (not mention far more varied in locations)

Indeed. People have lost the plot here apparently. Both Doom 2016 and Eternal are arena shooters without "real" level design. But they are different in two ways: Doom 2016 features one or two (big deal) levels like foundry that are more closer to traditional Doom level design, otherwise it is linear asf and arenas. Whereas Doom Eternal drops any pretend effort at classic level design and makes its arena aspects more elaborate and doubles down on the linear challenge/gamey segments in between. 2016 is an OK Doom Eternal prototype and doesn't quite know what it wants to be. Eternal knows and is the peak of arena shooters. If you want elaborate level design play a 90s shooter, not shitty 2016.

Speaking of extra lives, I don't understand why they're not saved when you reload a checkpoint. The game really fucks us there.

Specifically to fuck you. If they were saved the game would be a lot easier. Git gud Codex Casual.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom