Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

JDR13

Arcane
Using 2 different weapons in quick succession by swapping with Q *is* quickswapping, so trust me, you're using it. You don't have to be mashing the fire button for it to be considered a quick-swap.

At the end of the second level now, and it has one of those boss fights that I dread. It's not enough that you have to kill two of those floating eyes back to back, then you have to fight two at the same time while trying to avoid multiple Hell Knights?? It's not fun in the least.

At the end of the second level now, and it has one of those boss fights that I dread. It's not enough that you have to kill two of those floating eyes back to back, then you have to fight two at the same time while trying to avoid multiple Hell Knights?? It's not fun in the least.
It's a pretty crappy fight but I didn't have much trouble with it because Ballista arbalest mode made those eyes go down very fast. I do in general hate any "cannot attack it until green flash allows me to" enemy. I learned to tolerate this kind of faggotry in this game but I do not think these additions improve it in the slightest. The last boss of second DLC is the embodiment of this kind of idiocy.

JDR13

Arcane
It's a pretty crappy fight but I didn't have much trouble with it because Ballista arbalest mode made those eyes go down very fast. I do in general hate any "cannot attack it until green flash allows me to" enemy. I learned to tolerate this kind of faggotry in this game but I do not think these additions improve it in the slightest. The last boss of second DLC is the embodiment of this kind of idiocy.
I'm using the Ballista but not in Arbalest mode. I don't feel like I have time to charge it since it would slow me down and those Hell Knights are on my ass the whole time.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Don't worry, next Doom will have playable female marine.
48769f762d0318f9e2d9e2ecde86bd8d.png
Arlene has been around for a long time. https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Arlene_Sanders

Yeah, yeah...I know.

I'm using the Ballista but not in Arbalest mode. I don't feel like I have time to charge it since it would slow me down and those Hell Knights are on my ass the whole time.

That wasn't a problem for me, but obviously don't start charging it when mobs are right next to you. Generally though there's plenty of time when you pick your moments right. I often would start charging while I'm still in air after dodging bunch of mobs. And obviously ice grenades help a lot there too.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm on the final battle now with Samur Makyr. It makes everything before that seem like a cakewalk by comparison. I might have to reset the level and try to reach him with more extra lives.

Speaking of extra lives, I don't understand why they're not saved when you reload a checkpoint. The game really fucks us there.

Speaking of extra lives, I don't understand why they're not saved when you reload a checkpoint. The game really fucks us there.

The point is that it's a semi-ironman game rule. What would be the point if you could just reload every time you died and keep them?

Caim

Arcane
Tried picking the game up again the last two days but I keep getting the No Physical Devices error. Tried reinstalling, got the latest drivers, fidgeted with my drivers' settings, checked for cache integrity, added the game to the exceptions list of my antivirus... nothing. Sucks, because I've had this before including at launch, but I quickly managed to fix it back then.

ferratilis

Magister
Tried picking the game up again the last two days but I keep getting the No Physical Devices error. Tried reinstalling, got the latest drivers, fidgeted with my drivers' settings, checked for cache integrity, added the game to the exceptions list of my antivirus... nothing. Sucks, because I've had this before including at launch, but I quickly managed to fix it back then.
Are you playing on a laptop? Try disabling your integrated graphics in the device manager.

Caim

Arcane
Are you playing on a laptop? Try disabling your integrated graphics in the device manager.
I tried that, but it didn't work. So out of frustration after turning it back on I tried again... and it launched perfectly. It just works.

Thanks, Todd.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Mick Gordon talking about soundtrack
It's quite long...

https://medium.com/@mickgordon/my-full-statement-regarding-doom-eternal-5f98266b27ce#6fef

tl;dr just Bethesda being Bethesda - sleazy, greasy bag of backstabbing cunts

3478-37192bed-d61a-4200-8ef8-8488230894aa.png

3478-ba69f58b-78cb-412e-bd41-5dc6d018d468.png

czwQg9F.png

QCVBYZO.png

793-94b42df0-90dc-40ec-a1e6-2a30d0903831.png

summary from the Reddit
TL;DR

Summary of Facts

DOOM Eternal

I haven’t been paid for over half of DOOM Eternal’s music: The game includes more than double the music I was contracted to produce. Rejects, mockups, demos, many of which were never meant for public release. I created this music as part of the development process and shared it with id Software in good faith. But id Software used the music in the game, marketing and soundtrack and still refuses to pay me for it.

The DOOM Eternal OST was a mess

It was announced, with my name attached, and made available for pre-order before I was contracted to produce it. Despite my alarm and constant appeals Marty refused to do anything about the situation, leading to a nine-month delay before I could start work.

After seven months of inaction, I reported my concerns to Bethesda.

Bethesda and I negotiated the DOOM Eternal OST directly, without Marty’s involvement.

I received the contract on March 18, 2020, just 48 hours before DOOM Eternal was released. The delay was announced a week earlier before I was under contract.

The deadline was April 16 (29 days later) and the contract stipulated id Software had complete creative control and would aquire access to all my source material.

Marty withheld crucial details from me until 13 days before my deadline, such as:

Potential legal trouble they faced for taking pre-orders before it was under contract.

Details about their internally-produced OST: an alternative edited from my in-game score, which they’d worked on for at least six months without my knowledge or involvement.

I didn’t approve the release: In the days leading up to April 16, Marty cut me out of the process and decided to release their alternative version instead, reducing my direct contributions to filler. Both he, and id Software’s Lead Audio Designer, Chad Mossholder, didn’t allow me to hear the final album and didn’t seek my approval; they weren’t contractually required to do so.

OST release

Their poor-quality release immediately drew criticism, and a worried Marty personally asked me for assistance in addressing the situation. I made myself entirely available to Marty and committed to satisfying disappointed customers with a better OST. Marty made it clear he wanted me involved, saying he wanted a positive outcome, had no ill intentions and wanted to resolve the issue professionally.

He offered to draft a joint statement addressing the situation and announcing plans to move forward.

He requested I hold off on making further public comments until we could address the public together.

Marty told me to expect the draft within hours, but it never arrived.

Reddit

Instead, days later, he published a 2500+ word “open letter” on a fan-run Reddit page that singled me out as the sole cause behind the botched OST. The post attracted thousands of comments and news articles and severely damaged my personal and professional reputation. Worst of all, he did it behind my back whilst leading me on with a bullshit story about working together on a professional solution to the problem.

His statement was full of lies, disinformation and innuendo, and when challenged, his company offered me a six-figure sum to shut up about it. When I tried, time and time again, amid a torrent of abuse, harassment and threats, to resolve the matter more amicably, he constantly refused, worried how addressing the Reddit post would damage his own reputation instead.

But as far as I’m concerned, truth and honesty are more important: Marty’s words damaged my character and attacked my reputation. I have afforded him ample opportunity to address this issue, but his refusal to do so has left me with no option other than to issue this statement.

In issuing this statement, I’m exercising my right to defend myself.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I wish I could say that's a surprise but it's just nominal behavior for Bethesda. The sad thing is how many fans of theirs just automatically believed them and trashed Mick.

Learned
Huh. Stratton's statements had given me the impression that Gordon is one of those stereotypical "eccentric" artists sans social skills, who are talented at art and absolutely nothing else. I should have known better.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Gordon should have worked with a better studio. Instead he wanted to make big normie bucks.

Guys Picard is a huge homsexual do not use him unless you are gay.

Last edited:

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A shame to hear, Mick is a really cool guy; if anyone is into audio design or the process of creativity, this was a very interesting gdc talk he did some years back

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So is Eternal actually fun and good? I played doom 2016, and it was quite fun.

Ironically these news made me want to try the game out and hear the music. k

kek

Caim

Arcane
So is Eternal actually fun and good? I played doom 2016, and it was quite fun.

Ironically these news made me want to try the game out and hear the music. k

kek
Doom Eternal has a rhythm to it. If you're willing and able to play along with it you're in for a hell of a time, but if you can't, won't or don't want to you're in for your time to be hell. It's a series of combat arenas connected by platforming sections, along which you'll do your fair share of fighting as well. Boss battles are not very good, but the regular fights are good fun. The DLC is a step up in scope and difficulty, like how Thy Flesh Consumed contrasts to the rest of Doom 1. The first part is better than the second part, and the boss fights are a step down from the base game. Alo skip the cosmetic packs, they're shit.

Game's currently not a discount, so it's best to either wait or apply different means to obtain the game.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Doom Eternal is an excellent game mashed up in a blender with a terrible game. I am extremely suspicious of anyone who recognizes one half without acknowledging the other, on both sides.

It's got a lot of unwholesome aspects (4-5 layers of progression bloat, cop-out text tutorials, erratic content structuring), however the core gameplay is lightyears better than Doom 2016. My main complaint about D16 was that it didn't lean hard enough into the arena shooter style, so a lot of its new ideas (esp. glory kills) felt like band-aids to encourage active play that would be unnecessary from a classic FPS viewpoint. Eternal succeeds by doubling down. D16 introduced glory kills to replenish health and chainsaw to refill ammo, but the former was basically a free action due to the large buffer zone on enemy health that made it hard to overkill, so you were basically invincible with the rubber banding on health drops. Doom Eternal smartly makes the health window for glory killing quite a bit narrower, so you have to control your damage output to reliably heal from fodder enemies. I rarely got execution prompts on pinkies, and I even frequently lost glory kills on arachnotrons. Much ado has been made about the tighter ammo economy, but I think it's mostly a wash thanks to the chainsaw regenerating on a cooldown, which I view as a major blunder. There's plenty of ammo to be found in arenas, and I'd have found it more interesting to scavenge in real time for ammo and chainsaw fuel while retaining the choice to generate more ammo vs killing heavies as in D16. Armor is still just Health 2 The Sequel to Health as it absorbs all damage in place of health, but in Eternal it plays a more active role in that the player can generate it with the flamethrower as a temporary buffer to volatile health, like picking up a mega health in Doom/Quake.

A key difference that brings things together is that the enemies are much more aggressive in Eternal, putting much more pressure on the player to use effective weapon combos and stay on the move, making health, ammo, and armor management much more engaging. About half of D16's enemies were well-suited to arena combat (imps, pinkies, shotgun shield guys, hell knights), while the other half (cacodemons, revenants, mancubi, etc.) weren't updated to counter the player's mobility and thus filled the role of harmless damage sponge. Now, arachnotrons, revenants, and mancubi are all super threatening up close, and even imps, hell knights, and pinkies made more an effort to catch up to my dashing to threaten me -- combat overall is much more frenetic. Some enemy weaknesses are brilliant. Shooting cannons off of arachnotrons, revenants, and mancubi is rewarding and presents a tradeoff vs dealing direct damage that depends on your equipped weapon/mod, ammo count, level geometry, other threats. Other weaknesses feel ill-considered, though. Cacodemons gulp down grenades for effortless glory kills; why not require the player to time with their charging bite attack? Shield guys blow up from plasma, a dominant one-note solution; why not require the player to shoot 2 to create an arc between them?

The content besides the arena combat is hit or miss. I like the platforming puzzles somewhat, moreso than in D16, but agree with everyone who despises the purple goo and tentacles. There's a decent integration of combat and exploration with various traps and enemy spawns, but the game is still mostly arena-corridor-arena. Worse than any of that, though, is how the game makes almost no attempt to organically teach the player. I mean, it kinda does; the first map is a barebones slog with only a few weapons/enemies to ease you in. But the whole game is filled to the brim with text pop-ups, like they spent their entire dev time creating enemies and player mechanics and then gave up on introducing them through gameplay. The worst of it is when a text pop-up appears for an enemy you've never seen, completely ruining all the surprise while also spelling out exactly how to beat them... in a way that discards all the tactical depth and nuance that's actually available to you during combat. Sometimes the tutorials are even misleading -- everyone who thought you had to stay in a Goldilocks zone to combat the Marauder probably got screwed by the game implying as much. But if you don't have the text pop-ups, some of the inferences you have to make are pretty unreasonable; how is anyone supposed to figure out that the Cyber-Mancubi shields are resistant to everything but a blood punch, or that the Doom Hunter's shield can only be disrupted by the plasma gun?

The audio design is abysmal as it was in D16 -- the mix is so dominated by low frequencies (except the aggravating monster screeching), from gun sounds that sound like they're underwater to the endless djent guitar chugging, and there's no directional audio to tell anything apart. The sound cues that play when you're low on health or have a blood punch available were made ear-splittingly annoying to cut through all of the noise. The game is also stuffed with an unreasonable number of progression systems, all of which are utter garbage save for the weapon alt-fire mods. Several of the rune perks feel like things that should have been enabled by default (e.g. air control and faster glory kills), so you're left with at most 1 of 3 slots to determine a "playstyle". The wheel of suit upgrade is just embarrassing, with 3 of the 5 sections offering no-brainer upgrades like faster cooldowns and better grenades, while the other 2 sections offer useless crap like larger automap radius and respawning explosive barrels. You also get upgrades to your health/armor/ammo/capacity, which is for some reason tied to yet another layer of shitty perks that are impossible to remember or care about. The weapon mods are cool but you still have to waste a bunch of time upgrading them by performing tedious kill challenges, which you can graciously skip by using another progression item. You'll spend a bunch of time exploring for these upgrades but half the time you'll just find dumb cosmetics, collectibles and lore dumps. Story is utmost cringe but can be largely ignored and the UI is pretty unpleasant, but at least there's a red-green colorblind mode.

At the end of the day you have a pretty deep and arguably innovative combat system which is dragged down by pretty much everything else about the game, from lazy player communication and progression busywork to terrible sound design and DLC bloat. I think the combat makes it still worth playing, but whoever the higher-ups in management were who greenlit the other shit should be excised from making games.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how 2/3 of the way through, the game gives you a sword that can oneshot every enemy in the game, as if it needed another oneshot tool on top of the chainsaw and BFG 9000, with ammo for each thrown at you ever more regularly. So even as the fights get more complex, it shoots itself in the foot by allowing you to just delete elements of the challenge.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom