Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Ash

Arcane
It's gud

for a modern "AAA" game

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So is Eternal actually fun and good? I played doom 2016, and it was quite fun.

Ironically these news made me want to try the game out and hear the music. k

kek
Both nuDooms are disgusting garbage. Stick with the original games.
I played the orginal games for hundreds of hours when I was young. Now I want a new experience, since I've played the classic ones to death, which is why I am asking.
I don't really care if they dont live up the classic games. If they can give me 5-10 hours of fun, thats fine for me.

Zeriel

Arcane
Eternal is made for spastics. It replaces the little "design" that was left in Doom 2016 with pure chaotic movement disorder. There is also the horrible Mario platforming and the WoW graphics pushed to extremes.

It's hot garbage.

Holy shit I'm writing this one down for the record books. A time where Morgoth was based and I agreed with him 100%.

JDR13

Arcane
It's good, and I'm a huge fan of the originals.

The people claming otherwise probably found it too difficult and decided it must suck because they couldn't adapt.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Love the Bethestard reponse.

>Post lengthy post-op about the situation including reciepts of all the shit going down

>Bethestards detailed response with counter-evidence to all these allegations: "lolno"

Source: we got much evidence wow, we can post on reddit if we want, trust me bro

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just play actual old school shooters since the genre is a lost cause at this point. Even the best of those retro shooter is adequate at best and among the nu-shooters nu-Doom is probably the best which says all there is to be said. Genre was killed by consoles in 2003 and the attempt to resurrect it produced the typical effects you'd expect from all acts of necromancy: grotesque, twisted and contorted parodies of what were once thriving, living things but have now been reduced to unliving abominations.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you liked 2016 you'll probably like it. I couldn't stand 2016, but I still had a good time with eternal. I have later been told that 2016 eventually gets as good as eternal but it takes a lot of hours to get there. The game is free on gamepass, which is probably the cheapest way to get it.

Also, I feel bad for Mick but he also kind of deserves it for doubling down on diplomacy even after they screw him. Don't accept a contract with unrealistic schedule, and if another company makes false promises under your name contact a lawyer and send a cease&desist...

And you know, never make a deal with bethesda, it's not like it's secret that they're evil?

It's good, and I'm a huge fan of the originals.

The people claming otherwise probably found it too difficult and decided it must suck because they couldn't adapt.

I wouldn't be quick to say that about everyone who dislikes Eternal, but comments like "game is made for spastics" obviously come from a place of butthurt. With couple of playthroughs I got to the point where Nightmare difficulty is mostly really easy and I'm far from being good at shooters. In most situations on Nightmare I now feel pretty safe even while still making plenty of mistakes and miss clicks. Yes, I'm still miss clicking all the time when switching weapons, that never went away for me no matter how many shooters I played.
The actual flaws of the game have been laid out pretty well by RoSoDude. Yes it's far from a perfect game but still one of the very best shooters in many years. When it comes to AAA shooters, it's actually the best one in at least a decade if not more.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
"Everyone who has a different opinion from me sucks at games" truly the height of argumentation

If you liked 2016 you'll probably like it. I couldn't stand 2016, but I still had a good time with eternal. I have later been told that 2016 eventually gets as good as eternal but it takes a lot of hours to get there.

Game is more boring in first few maps because you only have a shitty selection of weapons. But I don't think it ever becomes as good as Eternal. It does have better visuals though.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The combat system some praise here is like taking a MMORPG DPS class rotation and turning it into a real time thing. It's not anywhere near as innovative as you think, and it's certainly as unfunny as playing dps classes in MMO after a while. They shouldn't have doubled down on things like trying to make glory kills useful, they should have removed them from the game altogether.

but in Eternal it plays a more active role in that the player can generate it with the flamethrower as a temporary buffer to volatile health

What really happens in practice is that if you're playing on a more difficult mode where you take some damage you will inevitably just press all the things on cooldown and it devolves not as a side tool to use once in a while but into the sequence of key you memorize and press like in MMORPGs, while the weapon switching based on enemy type isn't that different from things like elemental weaknesses to exploit.

This game is a mishmash of random ideas and genre, lacks serious moddabliity or good multiplayer and will not leave a mark. It's the end of id software.

When it comes to AAA shooters, it's actually the best one in at least a decade if not more.

Doom being "the best of AAA" is like winning the special olympics. You're number one, but number one of the pathetic lot.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The optional battles in the second DLC were pretty good. The new enemy types also worked well. I would also say its a harder than the base game but a bit easier than the first DLC regarding the non optional content. The only thing that stood out negatively was the boss. That was some lame shit. I have no idea why they made 3 "stages" when every stage is pretty much the same. All in all a pretty dull, repetitive encounter. Besides that, I would recommend the DLC if you liked the base game and the first DLC.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If you liked 2016 you'll probably like it. I couldn't stand 2016, but I still had a good time with eternal. I have later been told that 2016 eventually gets as good as eternal but it takes a lot of hours to get there.

Game is more boring in first few maps because you only have a shitty selection of weapons. But I don't think it ever becomes as good as Eternal. It does have better visuals though.

Better levels too, though it's nothing to write home about in that respect.

Yeah I didn't bother mentioning levels because they are better only in that they are actual levels and not just a bunch of arenas connected together by platforming sections. It's not like you would recommend that game to anyone for its level design.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Real levels instead of that platforming nonsense would have been such a better solution to provide some winding down time in between arenas but this is a lost cause nu-devs gonna nu-dev.

Any strategy how to beat Holt Slayer's Gate?

I'm completely stuck, too much shit is going on there - 2 Archviles, 2 Blood Maykers, 2 Doom Hunters and possessed Marauder... and it is a nerfed version! Pre-patched had 3 Archviles, 3 Blood Maykers and yet another Marauder WTF?

JDR13

Arcane
Any strategy how to beat Holt Slayer's Gate?

I'm completely stuck, too much shit is going on there - 2 Archviles, 2 Blood Maykers, 2 Doom Hunters and possessed Marauder... and it is a nerfed version! Pre-patched had 3 Archviles, 3 Blood Maykers and yet another Marauder WTF?
Is that the order in which they appear? Always make a beeline towards Archviles and prioritize them over everything else (except for a cursed prowler). I like to immediately hit them with a frost bomb and then unload everything I've got on them.

Blood Maykrs are easy. Just a couple of headshots with the ballista or cannon with sniper mod.

Doom Hunters are also pretty easy once you know what to do. A frost bomb then blood punch while frozen will usually destroy the bottom part of them. Then lock-on with rocket launcher to finish.

For a possessed Marauder, just make sure to stay ahead of it. Use the super shotgun - ballista quick-swap combo, but make sure you have enough plasma ammo to kill the Spirit with the microwave beam as soon as the Marauder goes down.

Ash

Arcane

Yeah I didn't bother mentioning levels because they are better only in that they are actual levels and not just a bunch of arenas connected together by platforming sections. It's not like you would recommend that game to anyone for its level design.
? 2016 level design I would call a bunch of arenas connected together by a linear hallway, which is even worse in my opinion. there is only like two levels and one or two sub-sections that actually break this convention. If the whole game was like that, I would value 2016. But it's mostly just an OK Doom Eternal prototype with nothing on Classic Doom/90s FPS too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I distinctly remember 2016 level design to be better. Not just in terms of complexity, but also in the feel you were roaming around real places, where as Eternal had too much of a "theme park" feel to it. I also liked the visuals and tone of 2016 better. Darker, more realistic, where as Eternal was a bit too pastel for my tastes. Lastly, i liked it more in 2016 that the space between arenas was filled with nothing, since it gave you an opportunity to savor the atmosphere, where as in Eternal if you weren't fighting you were jumping around like Spider Man which just felt stupid IMHO.

Eternal did arenas better thought, and you could argue level design for those sections was superior, in terms of layout, enemy spawn points etc. I certainly remember a lot of "Dark Souls" moments where the enviorment is actually fighting against you, where as arena design in 2016 almost had a deathmatch map feel to it.

BTW, one of the things that hurt both games for me is the shitty sound design. This is an aspect that barely gets mentioned but is one of those cases where technological progress gets in the way of functionality. In original Doom, you could pinpoint any enemy from any direction just from the distinct sound they made. On both nu-Doom games, you could get stomped to death by a baron or a pinky at point blank range and you wouldn't hear a peep because the mighty "dynamic" sound system was too busy channeling the noises of the imps 50 yards away from you. I found it to be absolutely maddening at points. Maybe it's because i just have a pair of speakers on my desktop and the sound system is made for multichannel surround systems or something but even then how hard can it be to just make sure what's closest to you is actually loudest at all times.

Ho, the same sort of applies to the music as well. Not that i'm into djent or anything but i couldn't even tell you if i liked the music in either game since every time it seemed like it got going it just stopped because again everything has to be fancy and "dynamic" and shit. Just play the fucking track and let me hear it stop being too "sophisticated" for your own good, faggot programmers.

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned
BTW, one of the things that hurt both games for me is the shitty sound design. This is an aspect that barely gets mentioned but is one of those cases where technological progress gets in the way of functionality. In original Doom, you could pinpoint any enemy from any direction just from the distinct sound they made. On both nu-Doom games, you could get stomped to death by a baron or a pinky at point blank range and you wouldn't hear a peep because the mighty "dynamic" sound system was too busy channeling the noises of the imps 50 yards away from you.
Usually just using a pair of good headphones fixes this issue, speakers can have good quality but usually aren't that good at giving you dynamic sound in vidya unless you have a whole setup made for it. I can't remember really having that problem with Eternal so it might've just been that.

Agreed on the dynamic music though. It's a cool trick and can make for some good moments but damn, some of these songs are just really fucking good as they are. Just let them play on an arena fully, it's not like you're doing anything BUT fight in them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom