Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

JDR13

Arcane
Ok, first weapon found is chainsaw, lets pick it up! "Press tab to view codex entry for chainsaw" followed by teleport to mandatory tutorial area so I can learn how to chainsaw enemies (walk up to them and press c, much hard, definately can't be done in regular map). Fine whatever, first secret item: Forced to stand still for 5 seconds after picking it up because otherwise I might not pay 100% of my attention on the long ass pickup animation.
The tutorials aren't mandatory. Just turn them off.

Continue playing. Realize I move at super slow speeds, while the enemies are zooming around like crazy.
What game did you play because that doesn't sound like the same one I played.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Should maybe really have been its own IP, iunno..
I would already have settled for them calling the previous one something else than just Doom, because it's the same annoying headache with distinguishing it from the "first" Doom..

My suggestions are, either Doom Slayer because they went with the "mystical magical Chosen One(TM)" protagonist instead of "just some random but super badass marine".
Or, Serious Doom because I remember walking a bit and getting trapped in a room that wouldn't let me move on until every wave was cleared, which reminds me more of Serious Sam than Doom 1 and 2 where you're usually more free to speed around the levels until you're ready and found the best angle of engagement.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
but at least you can make glory kill animations almost instant

It's really a waste of rune slot though. Initially I was annoyed that I couldn't make these animations faster without a rune but eventually grew to appreciate the fact I get a little time to think about my next move during those.
Nah, it's clearly the best rune.
Yes. The fact that it's trying to be compared to doom is only its own detriment.
It seems every single enemy except for the cannon fodder (hp pinatas?) zombies is capable of platforming to at least the same extent as the pc. But it's possible my impression of enemy movement speeds is colored by the fact that they often spawn in right behind my back, making it very hard to keep track of which one is where.

If the purpose of your statement is to dispute the slow movement of the pc, then I don't even. The dash lets you get some quick bursts of speed, but other than that it's tardy.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
but at least you can make glory kill animations almost instant

It's really a waste of rune slot though. Initially I was annoyed that I couldn't make these animations faster without a rune but eventually grew to appreciate the fact I get a little time to think about my next move during those.
Yes. The fact that it's trying to be compared to doom is only its own detriment.
It seems every single enemy except for the cannon fodder (hp pinatas?) zombies is capable of platforming to at least the same extent as the pc. But it's possible my impression of enemy movement speeds is colored by the fact that they often spawn in right behind my back, making it very hard to keep track of which one is where.

If the purpose of your statement is to dispute the slow movement of the pc, then I don't even. The dash lets you get some quick bursts of speed, but other than that it's tardy.
I also thought initially that the movement is way to slow, but it serves a purpose. It prevents you from circle-strafing everything to death, as in Serious Sam for example. The game is amazingly fine-tuned and they managed to keep the player on his toes by preventing a single strategy that works all the time. This becomes obvious when you try Shadow Warrior 3 which feels like a knock-off, although still enjoyable if you like arena shooter gameplay and can stand jump-and-run sections.

:roll: Sure, gimp yourself in a game you are clearly not even close to being good at yet. Might provide us with some salt in thread, that's always welcome.

Movement in Doom Eternal is supposed to be a combination of dashes, double jumps, Blood Fueled rune, SSG graple and utilizing jump pads and monkey bars. No enemy in game can do all that. I would also add the rune that increases glory kill distance as another mobility enhancer. Once you get used to utilizing these things speed is just fine. If you want to just circle strafe like in old shooters you're not gonna have a good time.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I guess the glory hole kills are a "neat" addition, but I haven't quite understood why they needed to be forced into the gameplay since they turn enemies into ammo and health pickup piñatas, which is needed as weapon ammo caps are so damn low. Couldn't they just be their own reward like how brutal doom did it?
I have figured out that you can do them from different angles etc to switch up the animations but I still have to see them so often that they become mundane at first, and a chore in the end.

JDR13

Arcane
I also thought initially that the movement is way to slow, but it serves a purpose. It prevents you from circle-strafing everything to death, as in Serious Sam for example. The game is amazingly fine-tuned and they managed to keep the player on his toes by preventing a single strategy that works all the time.

This ^ :salute:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I finished the game. All in all, pretty good. I think I'd feel bad if I paid more than 30 euro for it, but since I effectively got it for free via gamepass I'm happy with it. Might pick up the GOTY edition at steep discount at some point in the future to play the DLC but for now it's too pricey.

I'm not convinced it's a good FPS formula to make many games out of, but the novelty was nice. Making a bunch of enemies spawn infinitely just so you can use them as health/armor/ammo pinatas still feels weird, and it also leaves little room for proper secret rewards. But most of the enemies are fun to kill, and the weapons are satisfying to use.

I think the levels were frequently too long and some of the enemies were a bit too annoying (the marauder is pretty poorly designed, which becomes immediately obvious when you have to kill one in a timed segment. I also dislike the armored mancubus and the sneks).

Had to restart from checkpoint like 7 times for the final boss. Felt like a pretty good final challenge, even if you're mostly swording the enemies.
I also thought initially that the movement is way to slow, but it serves a purpose. It prevents you from circle-strafing everything to death, as in Serious Sam for example. The game is amazingly fine-tuned and they managed to keep the player on his toes by preventing a single strategy that works all the time.

This ^ :salute:
I mean sort of, but at the same time, just spamming dash into the nearest monkey bar or jumppad will let you dodge almost anything by default in eternal, and it requires less spatial awareness than circlestrafing. This strategy saved me from dying many times, as you just need to circle the arena for a bit to guarantee you run into some fodder to flamer+chainsaw for replenishment.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might pick up the GOTY edition at steep discount at some point in the future to play the DLC but for now it's too pricey.
You can purchase the Year One Pass straight from Steam and play the DLCs without the base game, no need to buy the Deluxe/GOTY edition.

some of the enemies were a bit too annoying (the marauder is pretty poorly designed, which becomes immediately obvious when you have to kill one in a timed segment. I also dislike the armored mancubus and the sneks).

If you think snakes are annoying in base game wait until you meet cloaked ones in DLC. Can't skip those with rocket launcher lock on.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
some of the enemies were a bit too annoying (the marauder is pretty poorly designed, which becomes immediately obvious when you have to kill one in a timed segment. I also dislike the armored mancubus and the sneks).

If you think snakes are annoying in base game wait until you meet cloaked ones in DLC. Can't skip those with rocket launcher lock on.
I found that using rokkits against sneks was a good way to blow myself up :M
Might pick up the GOTY edition at steep discount at some point in the future to play the DLC but for now it's too pricey.
You can purchase the Year One Pass straight from Steam and play the DLCs without the base game, no need to buy the Deluxe/GOTY edition.
Very nice, but even at the current sale, I think 15 euro for both DLCs seems a bit overpriced for more of the same? After finishing the base game I'm not super hungry for more content.

Caim

Arcane
Don't worry, next Doom will have playable female marine.
48769f762d0318f9e2d9e2ecde86bd8d.png

JDR13

Arcane
I just returned to this to play the expansions, and I'm getting my ass stomped in The Ancient Gods Part One. The difficulty spike compared to the main game is pretty extreme at times. I hear Part One is harder than Part Two though.

I'm currently on the second level and stuck on an arena where you have to fight two Hell Barons simultaneously plus a bunch of minions, and one of the Hell Barons is possessed. Holy fuck...

I'm currently on the second level and stuck on an arena where you have to fight two Hell Barons simultaneously plus a bunch of minions, and one of the Hell Barons is possessed. Holy fuck...

That's the part that made me lower difficulty to Ultra Violence on my first run. Was getting way too exhausted. Second DLC is mostly easier but last boss is the biggest pile of garbage in entire game and a complete opposite of what I enjoy about it. Not that it's particularly difficult, just really tedious and unfun.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

That's the part that made me lower difficulty to Ultra Violence on my first run. Was getting way too exhausted. Second DLC is mostly easier but last boss is the biggest pile of garbage in entire game and a complete opposite of what I enjoy about it. Not that it's particularly difficult, just really tedious and unfun.

That happens in far too many games. I recently finished Dying Light 2, and the final boss fight was pure bullshit in an otherwise a pretty good game. Same thing in Dying Light 1.

I'm going to start the mission over and see if I can get past that fight without having to lower the difficulty. I'm on Ultra Violence, but I think I'm struggling because it's be a couple of months since I finished the main game and the gameplay isn't fresh in my mind. These expansions really need to be played immediately after finishing Doom Eternal.

These expansions really need to be played immediately after finishing Doom Eternal.

Yeah that's how I did my second run of expansions, by replaying base game first. Didn't have any big problems finishing them on Nightmare then. But they are definitely a significant jump in difficulty.

Blutwurstritter

Learned

That happens in far too many games. I recently finished Dying Light 2, and the final boss fight was pure bullshit in an otherwise a pretty good game. Same thing in Dying Light 1.

I'm going to start the mission over and see if I can get past that fight without having to lower the difficulty. I'm on Ultra Violence, but I think I'm struggling because it's be a couple of months since I finished the main game and the gameplay isn't fresh in my mind. These expansions really need to be played immediately after finishing Doom Eternal.
I had to use quick swapping in the first DLC to beat it on Nightmare. The base game is doable without it but some sections in the DLC pretty much require it, or you can't take down some threats quickly enough. I'm personally not too fond of it but I had an easier time after I got used to it.

I had to use quick swapping in the first DLC to beat it on Nightmare. The base game is doable without it but some sections in the DLC pretty much require it, or you can't take down some threats quickly enough.

I doubt it since I'm not even sure what that quick swapping shit means, and I played through DLCs twice now. I just swap weapons like I always do, no fancy techniques involved. Just keep on the move and try to pick best weapons for the job.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I had to use quick swapping in the first DLC to beat it on Nightmare. The base game is doable without it but some sections in the DLC pretty much require it, or you can't take down some threats quickly enough.

I doubt it since I'm not even sure what that quick swapping shit means, and I played through DLCs twice now. I just swap weapons like I always do, no fancy techniques involved. Just keep on the move and try to pick best weapons for the job.
It simply means holding down fire the whole time while swapping weapons to skip reload time/animations, the only slightly tricky part is mixing in right clicks with the launcher to get the homing shots off while doing it. Like supershotgun->rocket launcher with homing shot->ballista->repeat cycle, while holding down left click as you cycle. I also don't know what's there to doubt, the game certainly gets easier with it since you can take down big demons very quickly this way. It even works with just 2 weapons. Hold down fire and turn the mouse wheel back and forth. You fire much quicker when it comes to the ballista, super shotgun, rocket launcher and the snipe shot with the rifle. It did work well for me. You only have to watch out for ammo. Perhaps you have done it without calling it that way?

Last edited:
It simply means holding down fire the whole time while swapping weapons to skip reload time/animations, the only slightly tricky part is mixing in right clicks with the launcher to get the homing shots off while doing it. Like supershotgun->rocket launcher with homing shot->ballista->repeat cycle, while holding down left click as you cycle. I also don't know what's there to doubt, the game certainly gets easier with it since you can take down big demons very quickly this way. It even works with just 2 weapons. Hold down fire and turn the mouse wheel back and forth. You fire much quicker when it comes to the ballista, super shotgun and rocket launcher. It did work well for me. You only have to watch out for ammo. Perhaps you have done it without calling it that way?

If I have done it sometime it was only by accident. I wasn't too far off the mark when imagining what it is though, but I assumed you need to spam left click while switching weapons. Didn't know you can just hold it. Mashing left click while switching with Q is something I tried to do against Marrauders with SSG + Ballista as I saw video of people getting three shots off like that while they were stunned. I only ever managed to get two shots in, same as with regular switching, and eventually gave up on it. If I tried to learn this shit while switching between more than 2 weapons (without Q) I would just start miss-clicking like crazy most likely.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom