Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Fargus

Arcane
I enjoyed Eternal but platforming in it just pisses me off. As well as pinata enemies (which i hated in 2016 game but looks even worse here) and bright, toxic colored interface.

Sjukob

Arcane
I frankly don't understand disdain for Doom Eternal. I've been playing classic Doom for years and I find Eternal to be a fun and well done FPS.

Israfael

Arcane
I frankly don't understand disdain for Doom Eternal. I've been playing classic Doom for years and I find Eternal to be a fun and well done FPS.
Peoplez get filtered so they invent excuses to justify calling the game bad (no, it's not me that is bad, it's the gayme design that is bad). "Toxic, colored pinjata" = same as Doom II actually, less early 3D games brown smear textures, more red/blue/cyan/purple etc. What D:E can be legitimately criticized for is the lack of modding support and anemic level design (and it gets better with master levels that give the arenas more mileage and force you to play creatively)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There are some things that are super annoying about Eternal that rub off people the wrong way.

The first thing is the presentation. There's a definite try hard, dude bro quality that runs through much of the aesthetic of the game, from the try hard br00tality to the capeshit writing and "story" (lmao, it's Doom fuck the story), the fourth wall breaking shit like collectible dolls etc.

Eternal is actually worse than Doom 2016 in that respect given that the latter did try to retain some of the atmosphere of the original (the writing is also better in 2016, for whatever that's worth).

The game is supposed to be the anti-Call of Duty but at least when it comes to the fluff it seems to try to appeal to that very demographic.

Even if one accepts nuDoom for what it is (a spazzy arena shooter), many of those elements can still leave one with a bad taste in their mouths. Hurr durr TeH Slayor lul. Ye ye whatever.

And has far as the core game is concerned, the total emphasis on twitch alone, as refreshing as it may be after decades of consoltarded popamole trash, just feels like an extreme in the opposite direction. The formula is an improvement over popamole shooters but at times it feels like an over reaction.

Zeriel

Arcane
Peoplez get filtered so they invent excuses to justify calling the game bad (no, it's not me that is bad, it's the gayme design that is bad). "Toxic, colored pinjata" = same as Doom II actually, less early 3D games brown smear textures, more red/blue/cyan/purple etc. What D:E can be legitimately criticized for is the lack of modding support and anemic level design (and it gets better with master levels that give the arenas more mileage and force you to play creatively)

Cope more. "B-b-but they're just angry they are bad at the game, there's no other reason someone would object to changing the basic formula of a decades old franchise!"

And yes, Doom 2016 was already altered enough to be annoying. But bastardizing the formula even more is not desirable. Doom 2016 was diluted just enough to still be enjoyable. Eternal acts like it is embarrassed to be a Doom game.

For the record, I don't find Eternal hard. I find it gay and retarded.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I played one "slayer gate" encounter and I'll say: if the entirety of D:E was like that I would be praising this game to high heavens. But no, half the time is spent on 1st person super Mario.

When I was a kid my friends loved Mario games. I thought that shit was gay and Doom was where the fun truly was. Fast forward two decades and a "Doom" is now about jumping puzzles and other gay shit. Unnaceptable.

Israfael

Arcane
For the record, I don't find Eternal hard. I find it gay and retarded.
But I guess passing through the 2016 game with literally one gun and two runes enabled (armor from kills + infinite ammo at armor >75) is so much more fun...

about jumping puzzles
There's like 5 jumping sequences in total and none of them are even remotely hard / challenging. It just shows you that there's a wayh to utilize your movements in fully 3D fashion (which is further developed in the DLCs with the addition of jump hook thingies)

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
There is a reason why "boomer shooter" is now a thing. Something in the original formula is still appealing. Many people prefer the old school free flow of exploring, strafing, attacking, target re-prioritization and resource management, instead of the forced pacing of nuDoom and its mechanics derived from third person platformers. The presentation doesn't help neither.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yep, it's settled then. Nu-Doom2 has no flaws whatsoever. It's just that we got old and fail to understand the genius of "press button to kill flashing monster" and "deal with this monster EXACLY like you were told OR drain your entire ammo pool". What was that about taking combat encounters with whatever approach you see fit? No, no, all the cool kids follow the script and shoot grenades into the meatball demon. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

There is a reason why "boomer shooter" is now a thing.

Damn straight. Notice how the game accommodates for slow reaction times? No, wait, it doesn't. That's just something decliners with bad taste say.

There's like 5 jumping sequences in tota

That's five too many.

Israfael

Arcane
all the cool kids follow the script and shoot grenades into the meatball demon.
It's very suboptimal way to deal with the cacos, much easier and safer to kill them with lockon salvo or just SSG/ballista combo them.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The sad thing is Doom Eternal is absolutely gorgeous. The engine programmers and artists did an amazing job. The gameplay sucks balls. I like my jumping puzzles in first person shooters, but this is just preposterous.

This is why I do not want the current id Software team to rape Quake by doing a reboot. Please, don't do this.

I played the game at 4k on my OLED, I couldn't count a single hitch. Their dynamic resolution is a thing of beauty because I didn't notice any transition.

This was on a Vega56, very much a upper low/mid range card now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The production values are super high (and the engine is a work of art to be sure. One of the most buttersmooth games i've ever played), it's the style that's the issue.

The biggest problem with the enviorments though will forever be the lack of level design or even the lack of any feeling you are in an actual place you can explore and interact with. The theme park ride feel is very strong when it comes to the enviorments.

KVVRR

Learned
The first thing is the presentation. There's a definite try hard, dude bro quality that runs through much of the aesthetic of the game, from the try hard br00tality to the capeshit writing and "story" (lmao, it's Doom fuck the story), the fourth wall breaking shit like collectible dolls etc.

Eternal is actually worse than Doom 2016 in that respect given that the latter did try to retain some of the atmosphere of the original (the writing is also better in 2016, for whatever that's worth).
There are some very fun moments in Eternal but overall I agree. They suck off Doomguy wayyyyyy too fucking much. In 2016 they propped him up as well but it was more of the enemies completely shitting themselves knowing he was coming for them rather than everyone and their mother's literally praying to him and saying how great he is and whatever else. Not only that but besides a few stuff you really didn't know if what the demons said about the Doomguy was just a way for them to rationalize how this one guy was becoming their boogieman. Eternal saw this nuance and said "nah fuck it let's go ALL IN I WANT ALL THE CHEESEEEEEE" and while there's some appeal to that I kinda lose the interest when you have multiple dimensions and time travel and every single level map change is through a goddamn portal and also there's a goddamn endgame showoff between the baddies and the good guys (who we know nobody in either side besides doomguy anyways). It took itself way too seriously for what it was, which is funny considering that you could argue 2016 took itself even more seriously that Eternal.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The game is supposed to be the anti-Call of Duty but at least when it comes to the fluff it seems to try to appeal to that very demographic.

Nah
CoD games (the ones after 4 at least) are presented like Michael Bay movies
NuDoom Eternal is presented like a japanese action game - with the biggest distinction being that the main character isn't some wise-cracking smart-ass that barely takes anything seriously, but rather the doomguy from the doom comic

deal with this monster EXACLY like you were told OR drain your entire ammo pool

This is just not true
While the game outright tells the enemies weaknesses and strengths (which is bad for obvious reasons), it doesn't tell you the optimal way to deal with them (which there are many)

For example the Cacodemon
This is by far the enemy where the game comes closest to being almost "scripted", so to say
As for most of the game I believed the grenade weakness was the best way to deal with him, but turns out no that's not the case
Chunking a grenade down their throats takes way too long to weaken them and you still have glory kill - which can leave you in a bad spot - plus they're invulnerable to this method if you caught them in the middle of an attack animation
And as the campgain got harder and I experimented more, I realised that actually the fastest way to kill them is with the launcher's lock-on rockets, and the most effiecient way is with the ballista's destroyer blade (this one is specially worth the risk if you're figthing more than one and managed to group them together)

even the lack of any feeling you are in an actual place you can explore and interact with.

That's okay
This is not something I ever felt in the classic Doom's anyway...

:M

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
It's like one of those midwit memes

60-80 IQ: NewDOOM SUX WHY I NEED 2 JUMP? WHY AM OUT OF AMMO?
81-90 IQ: New DOOM Rocks, they increased the speed and you actually have to have reaction speed to beat it! Gotta quickswap fast!
91+ IQ: Appreciates that it's an FPS with a skill floor but also notes the game is too forgiving and lacks depth in many of the mechanics: The ezmode dash and quickswapping being a thing you just do all the time forever unless you have the rockets out (but then there's some trick to increasing it's firing speed that involves quickswapping).

Like the guys who don't see the cacodemon as a floating Doom Fist™ charge probably fall in the middle category at best.

Zeriel

Arcane
But I guess passing through the 2016 game with literally one gun and two runes enabled (armor from kills + infinite ammo at armor >75) is so much more fun...

There's like 5 jumping sequences in total and none of them are even remotely hard / challenging. It just shows you that there's a wayh to utilize your movements in fully 3D fashion (which is further developed in the DLCs with the addition of jump hook thingies)

I'm sorry you need the game to force you to do something to change up your playstyle.

Look, if you find the game fun, that's fine. Same to others. But other people don't find the changes fun, and it's not because they're bad at games. They just don't like the design decisions.

HansDampf

Arcane
It's not about it being git gud, it's about it being git gud with retarded, random arcade mechanics that have nothing to do with Doom's original identity. As far as I can tell, people who really like Eternal just don't care about Doom's identity.
I just pretend it's not called Doom.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

81-90 IQ: New DOOM Rocks, they increased the speed and you actually have to have reaction speed to beat it! Gotta quickswap fast!
91+ IQ: Appreciates that it's an FPS with a skill floor but also notes the game is too forgiving and lacks depth in many of the mechanics: The ezmode dash and quickswapping being a thing you just do all the time forever unless you have the rockets out (but then there's some trick to increasing it's firing speed that involves quickswapping).

Like the guys who don't see the cacodemon as a floating Doom Fist™ charge probably fall in the middle category at best.
150+ IQ: its gay mcdonalds toy looking shit i will go replay doom 1

Dr1f7

Scholar

based

Zeem

Learned
Eternal has no strategic layer whatsoever, and all the level design has been reduced to small arenas connected by corridors. That's a major loss in complexity and depth exacerbated by pointless character progression mechanics.

Silverfish

Arbiter

holographic-universe-640x440-1.jpg

Sjukob

Arcane
Eternal has no strategic layer whatsoever, and all the level design has been reduced to small arenas connected by corridors. That's a major loss in complexity and depth exacerbated by pointless character progression mechanics.
Yep. But Doom being so great is frankly a miracle, so many things turned out the right way and I doubt that ID at the time had a good idea of what they were doing. The new ID were basically in a lose-lose scenario, they could've either took the series in a completely new direction and angered the old guard for not being faithful enough to the classics or they could've tried to keep it close to the original and everyone would've blamed them for lack of creativity, nevermind that Doom is nighly a perfect game with basically no room for improvement. So they've made a decent arena shooter, obviously it will never approach Doom's greatness for a number of reasons, but in 27 years no other game had, aside from may be Quake. I say it's the best FPS since F.E.A.R. and that one was released 17 years ago. So why not take it for it is?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They could also make a proper sequel to Doom 3. It might be just me but for some reason despite all the tech and flash, Doom 2016 felt like a downgrade in terms of production values to Doom 3 and the latter was made by a tiny team of just ~21 people.

They could also make a proper sequel to Doom 3.

I'm glad they didn't because Eternal is way more fun to play than Doom 3. And I don't hate Doom 3, I think it's enjoyable for what it is when I'm in right mood for that sort of thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom