Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Imagine how badly his mind will be blown if he learns that Deimos is also a thing.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    :lol: Of course I know this kind of information; I just never made the connection with the Greek/Roman pantheon and assumed it's a semi made-up placeholder, like i.e. Vice City in GTA, instead of some alphanumeric designation.

I admit the ratings are well-deserved though lmao.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Now look up who chained Prometheus to his rock. Hint: it's not Hephaestus.

^ Top  
  4. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    Alan Ripley.

So I'm after the 1st level of TAG1, Ultra-Violence. My reflexes are too boomer for Nightmare, I switch weapons like my mother types on a keyboard.

I was on the lookout for those famous 2 Marauders, they finally appeared at the end of the level. Turns out that was the easier part :lol: that last arena was so swamped with enemies, running as randomly in all directions as I was that I just started to laugh out loud at the sheer ridiculousness and absurdity of this gaem.

Good trollish DLC so far. As always, I enjoyed the Slayer Gate the most. I also think the Unmaykr is the most underrated weapon in the game; at least for me, I always prefer to split those rare 30 rounds for a couple of Archviles or something similar here or there, than just clearing out a room full of fodder that doesn't kill the big leagues anyway.

^ Top  
  5. Caim Arcane

Caim
    It's a decent start, yes. TAG1 is better at trolling than 2, and there's some good stuff ahead of you. Do remember that you have the Unmakyr near the very end of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    So does this game have any longevity, outside of this 1v2 multiplayer?

One thing I cannot fathom is how apparently, 1,5 years after the release, there's still no level editor or any real modding support. Not only is OG Doom (2), an almost 30 year old (!) game the absolute #1 advertisement of modding and what wonders it can do for a game; even the platform is Bethesda's out of all things lmao. They can even integrate it in this official multiverse "lore", as some format named W.A.D. ("Wayshrines to Alternate Dimensions", "Waddling Around Doomfaggotry" or whatever). Maybe that "snapmap" from Doom 2016 was such a disaster than they didn't even care this time around?

• decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Nope. Sometimes they add in a new challenge map, but that happens only rarely (once per six months or so). The touted invasion mode that let you drop into someone else's game to mess with them has been scrapped in favor of a horde mode, which was already being modded in by the fans. For the rest there's fake longevity by putting unlockable skins behind a grind, and you have to complete the grind in a month before the unlock track gets replaced by another one. For example, the new track appeared today and will run until September 2nd. And if you missed them? Well, the first two packs are available for purchase at $8.99 each.

• decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. HansDampf Arcane

HansDampf
    Would be great if they released a proper level editor and tools that allow people to create custom maps and campaigns like for old Doom. There is lots of potential here. But modern gaming industry is being modern gaming industry.

^ Top  
  9. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    Just pirate it for the original version.
    Oh wait.

^ Top  
  10. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    That's a shame, but I guess the answer already lied in how I was the only person posting itt.

Even if modding tools are impractical or out of reach for some reason or another, they could just make a truly solid multiplayer a la Unreal Tournament 2k4. Didn't id Software do Quake 3 Arena itself? I know, not those zoomers present right now, but still. The mechanics in Doom Eternal are already good enough to support such kind of multiplayer. It's not like they don't have a budget since the game got them half a billion dorras.

^ Top  
  11. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Nah, Deathmatch was excluded from Doom Eternal because according to Pete Hines it wouldn't feel like Doom.

Also, the "deathmatch" in Doom 2016 that few people liked was not made by Id but by Certain Affinity, who have been the go-to team for the multiplayer modes for several Halo and Call of Duty games. While the gameplay was a bit like that of the base game it had an extensive unlock track that was longer than the mode was capable of retaining players.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Update: make that THREE now. They come in three different flavors: the Slayer cosmetic packs that have one new model for the Slayer and some vanity stuff that'll only matter if you play online a lot, and the Series cosmetic packs that have 2-3 skins for demons, one for the Slayer, two new weapon skins and more multiplayer vanity stuff. Note that you could unlock this by playing the game during the time the packs were active, where you'd gain XP along a track to unlock you these things. So basically a free season pass. But the season's over and if you want them, better cough up that dough:

Note that the demon models are ONLY in multiplayer, so it's not like you can change the models in single player. And yes, the price difference is significant. Because apparently a model that you see only a handful of times in the single player campaign warrants that much on its own.

^ Top  
  13. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Doom 2016 showed why this will never happen. Level editors don't work on consoles.

Same reason why you can't have proper death match despite the game being basically an arena shooter with monsters instead of players. Adding classic death match would be the easiest thing in the world, the game is basically already there, but they can't do it because, again, wouldn't work on consoles.

^ Top  
  14. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    favorite FPS since FEAR:

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Brief on the upcoming 6.66 update coming this fall, Horde Mode, updated Battlemode, two new master levels (World Spear and Mars Core): https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/4w25n9cYIMSQP3FF4n58cv/doom-eternal-quakecon-2021-news

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko

:balance:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MuckMan Educated

MuckMan
    I just recently started Doom: Eternal, but I have a question, maybe the most relevant question for Doom 2016 and Eternal ever.... Was there a reference or easter egg regarding Repercussions of evil? I have to know!
    For Reference:

^ Top  
  18. Caim Arcane

Caim
  19. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    After an eternity, the DLC's denuvo was defeated.
    So what was that about the difficulty?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Caim Arcane

Caim
    At release TAG part 1 was a sharp increase in difficulty from the base game, but that was also in part because it has been a while since people last played the game. When TAG part 2 came out the difficulty was nerfed, which people didn't like.

^ Top  
  21. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Who among us could perform these feats?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Horde Mode comes next week:

• Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Wasn't there some mod that restored original TAG 1 difficulty? I dimly recall reading something about it somewhere but cannot find it now. I'm gonna do DLCs for the first time soon, because the faggot game wouldn't even launch when I bought it and DLCs on Steam, so had to refund and wait ages for DLC crack. I really wouldn't mind experiencing TAG 1 as it was first released, damn.

*edit* Found this - "Restores TAG1 spawns to how they were before Update 5.0.". Anyone used it?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    ^ Top  
  24. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    The update is here.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/782330/view/3034856131529101652

Outside of Horde Mode and two new master levels (and whatever BattleMode updates), some gameplay changes and QoL are there too:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.