Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Just talked to a few people who have only played the new Doom games and not the classics. I asked if I was the only one who missed levels like Foundry and Argent Facility in Eternal and they all said that they were glad there were none because they got lost and confused. Needless to say, I am distraught by the fact that the new generation of Doom fans can't appreciate a good level.... :/

All I see on their Discord are dumb memes and "rip and tear". I don't think Doom is getting any less linear anytime soon.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just talked to a few people who have only played the new Doom games and not the classics. I asked if I was the only one who missed levels like Foundry and Argent Facility in Eternal and they all said that they were glad there were none because they got lost and confused. Needless to say, I am distraught by the fact that the new generation of Doom fans can't appreciate a good level.... :/

All I see on their Discord are dumb memes and "rip and tear". I don't think Doom is getting any less linear anytime soon.
How can you get lost with there being a map function? Not like it was Hexen with its cryptic switches and puzzles even without a map, Lol.

DemonKing

Arcane
The final boss fight is the lamest, most frustrating thing I have ever seen. MASSIVE downgrade from the Icon of Sin fight. He is not that difficult but whenever he hits you get gets like 50% of his health back. His flash period is very inconsistent because he has other melee attacks that don't make him vulnerable. Also, you MUST use the hammer when he is vulnerable because otherwise you only get 1 second to damage him. It took me over an hour of back and forth to finally kill him. Awful, just awful. I was FUMING WITH RAGE towards the end.

I just finished on the weekend and it took me about the same amount of time as well (I didn't die once - it was all spent strafing around and chainsawing peons to heal up while every time I got the boss damaged he would pull off a sneaky regeneration).

I hate when games don't respect a player's time and this is one of the worst examples I can think of. The regular arena fights were bad enough where you run around the map trying to replenish health/ammo and only occasionally landing a shot on target but for some reason they doubled down on that for the end boss.

Don't get me started on the jumping puzzles...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Regular arena fight would have been better boss battle than that peek-a-boo thing. Maybe something like Battlemode but two Doom Slayers competing. Dark Lord also does glory kills and things to weakened lesser demons, replenish his powers and health. Probably it's too much work on AI and scripting though.

Unwanted

jcd

Punished JCD
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
Just bought this for 33% of the price with both expansion packs.
This game is incredibly fun, and very faithful to the original, considering it's AAA therefore should be garbage.
I got filtered out of Ultraviolence after the Doom Hunter boss and continued playing on Hurt Me Plenty.
The maps are pretty linear but there are many well constructed arenas with plenty of opportunity for tactics and interesting fights, some of which remind me of the original game's level design. Platforming is annoying but there isn't too much of it so I can live with that.

Unwanted

jcd

Punished JCD
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
The core mechanics of shooting demons feel fun for the same reasons. I know it's not the same flow in level design, you have a series of arenas separated by platforming and corridors.

I also feel that it doesn't matter what health/armor/ammo I have between fights, as I can replenish each easily and resource management is more short term than in Doom 1, where you had to build up resources over the course of a level or even episode.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Who want some?
DOOM-Eternal__PeachyKeen_community_960x1360-01-EN.png

pevlzi.png

WHO

Israfael

Arcane
Yesterday Hugo said that the small radiation room with a screecher zombie used to have a marauder (or maybe even marauders) in it instead of hell knights. Shame they decided to streamline the experience, that would be an interesting challenge

copebot

Learned
There's 2 marauders in a poison hallway in the Super Gore Nest master level and it's super cancerous because the main way to cheese it is to squeeze into a tiny poison-free doorway once you have killed one of them quickly to finish off the other one normally.

Israfael

Arcane
People can't wait to play the game with 30fps and even more blur than there is :lol:

PS Watched the clip, it's so distracting, I guess it's another level of difficulty - find the enemy somewhere in the eye-scorching glare and reflections

vibehunter

Learned

Doom Eternal is really fun, I'll admit, but the current fanbase is just a bunch of zoomers. The "rip and tear" shit got cringey and old real fast.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This is how i feel about Doom 1/2 players not appreciating Hexen II levels :-P.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wield the awesome power of the DOOM Slayer like never before with DOOM Eternal’s free next-gen upgrade today! Update 6 optimizes DOOM Eternal for Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 systems, adding improved visuals, increased performance and support for ray-tracing and 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. Update 6 also features a new Master Level to test your skills, a new BATTLEMODE arena and more!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey new master level.

Also more balance changes from the patchnotes. They reverted few of previous changes to DLCs, but introduced new changes nerfing other parts of DLCs:

Campaign Updates

General Gameplay
  • Ice Bombs now freeze the DOOM Hunter boss variants
  • Adjusted hit detection volume for Tentacle to be more accurate to what player sees, making it easier to hit
  • Reduced welcome message duration by 1 second

Difficulty Level Balance Adjustment
  • Chainsaw kills now refill 100% of player ammo on I’m Too Young to Die
  • Reduced projectile speed for the Archvile’s Rolling Fire attack on I’m Too Young to Die and Hurt Me Plenty
  • Reduced Carcass projectile and tracking speeds on I’m Too Young to Die and Hurt Me Plenty
  • Reduced speed of DOOM Hunter gatling gun and arm cannon projectiles on I’m Too Young to Die and Hurt Me Plenty
  • Reduced Whiplash projectile and tracking speeds on I’m Too Young to Die and Hurt Me Plenty

DOOM Eternal: Campaign

FORTRESS OF DOOM
  • Added UI pop-up to remind players that they have unspent Sentinel Batteries

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One & Part Two
  • Lowered damage values for Blood Maykr cruciform and javelin attacks by 15%
  • Reduced the Plasma Rifle's Microwave Beam ammo cost to dispatch Spirits

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One

UAC ATLANTICA
  • Reverted balance changes introduced with Update 5 that removed some AI to the first arena after the timed fan puzzle that launches you across the channel and the destroyed oil rig arena that follows shortly thereafter

BLOOD SWAMPS

Trial of Maligog Boss Fight
  • Increased respawn timer for Hell Knight and Pinky spawns for all phases
  • Removed Mecha Zombie and Shield Soldiers
  • Increased resource drops when hitting the Cubes
  • Increased damage values for Chaingun, Micro Missiles, Precision Bolt and Automatic Shotgun against the Eye
  • Raised the Eye’s projectile attack sound effects in audio mix so they are more audible
  • Increased the Eye’s projectile attack VFX size so they are easier to see
  • Reduced direct damage from the Eye’s projectile attack
  • Decreased the Eye’s projectile attack speed by 20%
  • Increased size of hit detection for the Eye

THE HOLT

Samur Boss Fight Balance Adjustments
  • Added more health packs and vials to final arena
  • Added some plasma pickups to final arena
  • Adjusted respawn time for Dreadknight and Pain Elemental in final phase from 4 to 10 seconds

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part Two
  • Added a distinct sound cue to indicate when Cursed Prowlers spawn into the world
  • Player now automatically receives a Blood Punch charge after being Cursed
  • Reduced amount of health that the Dark Lord receives after hitting the player during boss fight
  • General quality of life improvements to Demonic Trooper
  • Stone Imp no longer takes damage from the Chaingun Energy Shield

KVVRR

Learned
What's the diff between this and Doom 2016? Which one is better?
Eternal has more enemy variety, movement options, weapons, is more challenging and imo is overall more fun than 2016 BUT it locks you into one specific game style unlike 2016. If you're willing to accept that you'll have a lot more fun with it.

The story is worse tho, if you cared about that. Graphics are a lot more... cheesier? It's not taking itself as seriously at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom