Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    This is how i feel about Doom 1/2 players not appreciating Hexen II levels :-P.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HansDampf Arcane

HansDampf
    I want an update that restores the old difficulty.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Hey new master level.

Also more balance changes from the patchnotes. They reverted few of previous changes to DLCs, but introduced new changes nerfing other parts of DLCs:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    what's this about?

^ Top  
  6. Baptismbyfire Liturgist

Baptismbyfire
    What's the diff between this and Doom 2016? Which one is better?

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    Anyone playing it with ray tracing yet? If so, what kind of framerates are you getting and on what GPU?

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    Eternal has more enemy variety, movement options, weapons, is more challenging and imo is overall more fun than 2016 BUT it locks you into one specific game style unlike 2016. If you're willing to accept that you'll have a lot more fun with it.

The story is worse tho, if you cared about that. Graphics are a lot more... cheesier? It's not taking itself as seriously at least.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Come to think it, the difference is actually similar to the difference between Doom 1 and Doom 2 lmao.

Doom Eternal has better gameplay, more enemies, higher difficulty etc.

Doom 2016 has slightly more traditional level design, better writing (lmao) and IMHO better lighting. Doom Eternal looks too pastel for my tastes.

Thosre aren't huge discrepancies they are virtually the same games.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Level design or writing weren't good in 2016 anyway, which makes combat the only reason to play both games. Therefore the one with superior combat (Eternal) wins. 2016 is ok as a warmup before Eternal though, it's sure way easier. And it is better looking thanks to prettier lighting.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Disagree that base game Eternal is harder than 2016. Still haven't beaten 2016 on ultra nightmare while Eternal I did within a few weeks of release. Granted I'm only making an attempt maybe twice a month nowadays and I could probably do it if I started memorizing enemy spawns and stuff, but 2016 is simply way more unforgiving with pretty much every enemy in the game able to either two shot or one shot you and no easy health regen.

^ Top  
  12. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I don't give a shit about Ultra Nightmare because I never play perma death modes but 2016 on Nightmare is an absolute joke compared to Eternal on Nightmare.

The Gauss Cannon in Siege mode one shots almost everything in 2016 and two shots Barons. Plus game is much more generous with BFG ammo than Eternal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Eternal makes it so easy to regain health and armor along with avoid damage that it wouldn't matter if the enemies all had 10,000 health. In 2016 if you take 2 hits in a fight without a pickup you are pretty much done since you need like 5 glory kills to get back to a safe amount of health and that's very risky to accomplish until you're at the end of a fight and just playing with the final 3 or 4 enemies.

^ Top  
  14. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    The problem is that in 2016 the enemies are also a lot easier to kill. You don't really need to point at their weak point or prioritize an specific enemy/run from one while killing others or switch to a specific weapon to kill them, you can just go in and kill everything without thinking about it too much. The only level I found kinda hard was the one you're in top of a train and that was on Nightmare, game pretty much ends afterwards too

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    Eh? I don't recall any level like that in Doom 2016.

^ Top  
  16. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    It's a small section of a level, actually. my bad

timestamp is 19:08 in case it doesn't work

^ Top  
  17. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    The promised multiplayer Invasion Mode is no more, they will make singleplayer Horde Mode instead:

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Saw it elsewhere, much prefer this over some in-campaign invasions a la Souls.

^ Top  
  19. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    So I've completed this game yesterday. Why is this thread on the 4th page, and "Best Android games" on 1st or 2nd? But whatever.

So, first of all, I must be a giant boomer because I beat the game on Ultra-Violence and somewhere around mission 7-8 I easily was restarting almost every encounter at least 5 times. I still don't really know what's the strategy for Phase 2 Gladiator and beat it with sheer luck. Now, some of the deaths felt cheap, but generally I'd say it's a good difficulty, like 90-10 ratio being my fault and impatience clouding my judgment. Also the 1st phase of Icon of Sin is janky af, I was launched out of stratosphere a couple of times, but then the 2nd phase I got on my first try. I guess I was too afraid of there not being a checkpoint.

In general, I quite liked the "you're in charge of your own resources" schtick, even though I'm not positive that managing all those cooldowns is the best possible design, or even a good design in general.

That's maybe nitpicking, since after upgrading the suit, I was never really strapped for it, but the thing I really disliked is, well, at 2/3rds of the game, I felt the game kinda lost track of what tools it's trying to provide. So in Doom 2016, you had this Chainsaw as an "oh shit" instakill (among other things), which was reworked in Eternal as a tool for ammo resupply. But also kind of like 2016's chainsaw, if you had 3 fuel. Ok. Then you get Crucible, which is... exactly like 2016's chainsaw again? Around the same time, you also get BFG, which makes sense, but considering you can only have 2 shots, you pretty much use it where the developers want you to as well. Add to that the Unmaykr, which is, what, the third "oh shit" option for a single enemy? I actually really liked the Unmaykr, considering it's often a better alternative for splitting those 30 BFG cells between stuff you really want dead, but considering how late it comes in and how rare the ammo is, if you try to use both, you pretty much use each like 3 times until the final boss. Some really contrived shit, is what I'm saying.

Also I'd like to see some enemies, like Archvile or Tyrant, a bit more that a couple of times, whereas some others got really overused and on my nerves. I understand they kind of flip the entire "arena" fight upside down, but not everything has to be an arena, methinks.

I heard Ancient Gods addresses some of those things well, but I think I need some rest before attempting an even more unforgiving DLC lmao.

P.S. The story is amazing. It's like grabbing that "muh cinematic emotional writing" guy by his neck (keycard) and painting a giant dick on his forehead. Absolute cheese like it should be, and confirming every WAD as canon also brought a smile to my face.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    Also, between the whole (UAC) corporation going full demonic worship, spewing blatant propaganda, calling them "mortally challenged", just letting them in without a fight saying it's 'our future', and that Daily Gondor-like newspaper in Fortress of Doom...

How come this game wasn't "cancelled" by the usual suspects? :lol: it seems that Joker was dragged through the gutter for way less.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    You should try master levels then, i'd say both archies and cybers are a bit overused in some of them (there's an arena in SGN with 3 archies and 3 cybers (or was it 7, don't remember), all at the same time, of course, also in Taras Nabad there's a room with two archies that you can't really kill w/o a BFG (if you are lucky, usually it takes two shots). Superheavies are used routinely in TAG1 and TAG2, although I don't know if they reverted the nerfs to TAG1 as Hugo promised.

PS I have to admit that Taras Nabad ML ripped my bee hind, I've got to the last fight three times and I can't just do it, last Marauder simply kills me no matter what (this fight is too long for my liking).

^ Top  
  22. Caim Arcane

Caim
    They tried, but they failed.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    So I just learned that the Phobos moon does exist in real life. Lmao https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_(moon)

Anyway, I'm halfway through Doom 64 now, but I miss getting my Ultra-Violent ass getting handed to me on a regular. Seeing as the DLCs are not available in a, uh, well, demo version... I finally copped a Steam key for a Deluxe version.

Eagerly expecting to rip and tear the true scourge of humanity, Stone Imps - i.e. Simps

• retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    :nocountryforshitposters:

Imagine when you find out that our solar system has at least 150 confirmed moons.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.