Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Come to think it, the difference is actually similar to the difference between Doom 1 and Doom 2 lmao.

Doom Eternal has better gameplay, more enemies, higher difficulty etc.

Doom 2016 has slightly more traditional level design, better writing (lmao) and IMHO better lighting. Doom Eternal looks too pastel for my tastes.

Thosre aren't huge discrepancies they are virtually the same games.

Level design or writing weren't good in 2016 anyway, which makes combat the only reason to play both games. Therefore the one with superior combat (Eternal) wins. 2016 is ok as a warmup before Eternal though, it's sure way easier. And it is better looking thanks to prettier lighting.

Disagree that base game Eternal is harder than 2016. Still haven't beaten 2016 on ultra nightmare while Eternal I did within a few weeks of release. Granted I'm only making an attempt maybe twice a month nowadays and I could probably do it if I started memorizing enemy spawns and stuff, but 2016 is simply way more unforgiving with pretty much every enemy in the game able to either two shot or one shot you and no easy health regen.

I don't give a shit about Ultra Nightmare because I never play perma death modes but 2016 on Nightmare is an absolute joke compared to Eternal on Nightmare.

pretty much every enemy in the game able to either two shot or one shot you

The Gauss Cannon in Siege mode one shots almost everything in 2016 and two shots Barons. Plus game is much more generous with BFG ammo than Eternal.

The Gauss Cannon in Siege mode one shots almost everything in 2016 and two shots Barons. Plus game is much more generous with BFG ammo than Eternal.

Eternal makes it so easy to regain health and armor along with avoid damage that it wouldn't matter if the enemies all had 10,000 health. In 2016 if you take 2 hits in a fight without a pickup you are pretty much done since you need like 5 glory kills to get back to a safe amount of health and that's very risky to accomplish until you're at the end of a fight and just playing with the final 3 or 4 enemies.

KVVRR

Learned

Eternal makes it so easy to regain health and armor along with avoid damage that it wouldn't matter if the enemies all had 10,000 health. In 2016 if you take 2 hits in a fight without a pickup you are pretty much done since you need like 5 glory kills to get back to a safe amount of health and that's very risky to accomplish until you're at the end of a fight and just playing with the final 3 or 4 enemies.
The problem is that in 2016 the enemies are also a lot easier to kill. You don't really need to point at their weak point or prioritize an specific enemy/run from one while killing others or switch to a specific weapon to kill them, you can just go in and kill everything without thinking about it too much. The only level I found kinda hard was the one you're in top of a train and that was on Nightmare, game pretty much ends afterwards too

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The promised multiplayer Invasion Mode is no more, they will make singleplayer Horde Mode instead:

A development update for our incredible DOOM Eternal community,

With E3 2021 finished and our Update 6 just released, we want to provide you an update on our latest work and plans for DOOM Eternal in the months ahead.

In March, we marked DOOM Eternal‘s one-year anniversary with the release of our second campaign expansion, “The Ancient Gods – Part Two.” Together, both of “The Ancient Gods” expansions deliver some of the most engaging and exciting gameplay the series has offered, as well as an epic conclusion to the Slayer saga that we began in DOOM (2016). “The Ancient Gods – Part One” is also now available for Nintendo Switch and we expect to release “Part Two” later this year.

On June 29, we were thrilled to deliver Update 6. You can read the complete list of additions and improvements at Slayers Club, but we’re particularly excited to offer impressive new video options for next-gen consoles, as well as improved visuals with ray tracing on Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, and compatible PC hardware. The free update includes the Taras Nabad Master Level, with new challenges and rewards for both standard and classic modes. BATTLEMODE players can enjoy a new map, as well as improvements to bandwidth utilization that should improve server performance and mitigate hitching on all platforms.

As many are aware, we intended to release a free Invasion Mode update for the game. However, the unforeseen consequences of the pandemic and remote working impacted the progress of development or this addition. Over this time, we have also seen and heard how many of you enjoy the range of gameplay and combat available in the expansions and master levels. With these factors in mind, we have decided to redirect our focus from Invasion Mode to creating a totally new single-player Horde Mode. We’re confident this Horde Mode will offer you more of the diversity and challenge you’re looking for in the game. In addition, the team continues to work on a refresh of BATTLEMODE that includes a more competitive, rank-based structure, a number of gameplay and balance updates, and another new map. We expect to share more information at QuakeCon in August.

Finally, I want to emphasize how immensely proud am of all that our teams at id and Bethasda have accomplished. It’s incredibly hard to believe that we haven’t seen each other in person since before DOOM Eternal launched more than fifteen months ago and, despite the obstacles created by the pandemic and remote working, dozens of updates and additions have been created, tested, released, and supported from our homes. Throughout it all, we’ve continued to be inspired and energized by your incredible support and enthusiasm for the game—so from each of us, thank you,

Marty Stratton,
Executive Producer, DOOM Eternal

Caim

Arcane
Isn't there already a horde mode for this game? Why do they want to compete with something that's already there and lose all the progress that they have?

So I've completed this game yesterday. Why is this thread on the 4th page, and "Best Android games" on 1st or 2nd? But whatever.

So, first of all, I must be a giant boomer because I beat the game on Ultra-Violence and somewhere around mission 7-8 I easily was restarting almost every encounter at least 5 times. I still don't really know what's the strategy for Phase 2 Gladiator and beat it with sheer luck. Now, some of the deaths felt cheap, but generally I'd say it's a good difficulty, like 90-10 ratio being my fault and impatience clouding my judgment. Also the 1st phase of Icon of Sin is janky af, I was launched out of stratosphere a couple of times, but then the 2nd phase I got on my first try. I guess I was too afraid of there not being a checkpoint.

In general, I quite liked the "you're in charge of your own resources" schtick, even though I'm not positive that managing all those cooldowns is the best possible design, or even a good design in general.

That's maybe nitpicking, since after upgrading the suit, I was never really strapped for it, but the thing I really disliked is, well, at 2/3rds of the game, I felt the game kinda lost track of what tools it's trying to provide. So in Doom 2016, you had this Chainsaw as an "oh shit" instakill (among other things), which was reworked in Eternal as a tool for ammo resupply. But also kind of like 2016's chainsaw, if you had 3 fuel. Ok. Then you get Crucible, which is... exactly like 2016's chainsaw again? Around the same time, you also get BFG, which makes sense, but considering you can only have 2 shots, you pretty much use it where the developers want you to as well. Add to that the Unmaykr, which is, what, the third "oh shit" option for a single enemy? I actually really liked the Unmaykr, considering it's often a better alternative for splitting those 30 BFG cells between stuff you really want dead, but considering how late it comes in and how rare the ammo is, if you try to use both, you pretty much use each like 3 times until the final boss. Some really contrived shit, is what I'm saying.

Also I'd like to see some enemies, like Archvile or Tyrant, a bit more that a couple of times, whereas some others got really overused and on my nerves. I understand they kind of flip the entire "arena" fight upside down, but not everything has to be an arena, methinks.

I heard Ancient Gods addresses some of those things well, but I think I need some rest before attempting an even more unforgiving DLC lmao.

P.S. The story is amazing. It's like grabbing that "muh cinematic emotional writing" guy by his neck (keycard) and painting a giant dick on his forehead. Absolute cheese like it should be, and confirming every WAD as canon also brought a smile to my face.

Also, between the whole (UAC) corporation going full demonic worship, spewing blatant propaganda, calling them "mortally challenged", just letting them in without a fight saying it's 'our future', and that Daily Gondor-like newspaper in Fortress of Doom...

How come this game wasn't "cancelled" by the usual suspects? :lol: it seems that Joker was dragged through the gutter for way less.

Israfael

Arcane
Also I'd like to see some enemies, like Archvile or Tyrant, a bit more that a couple of times, whereas some others got really overused and on my nerves. I understand they kind of flip the entire "arena" fight upside down, but not everything has to be an arena, methinks.
You should try master levels then, i'd say both archies and cybers are a bit overused in some of them (there's an arena in SGN with 3 archies and 3 cybers (or was it 7, don't remember), all at the same time, of course, also in Taras Nabad there's a room with two archies that you can't really kill w/o a BFG (if you are lucky, usually it takes two shots). Superheavies are used routinely in TAG1 and TAG2, although I don't know if they reverted the nerfs to TAG1 as Hugo promised.

PS I have to admit that Taras Nabad ML ripped my bee hind, I've got to the last fight three times and I can't just do it, last Marauder simply kills me no matter what (this fight is too long for my liking).

Caim

Arcane
Also, between the whole (UAC) corporation going full demonic worship, spewing blatant propaganda, calling them "mortally challenged", just letting them in without a fight saying it's 'our future', and that Daily Gondor-like newspaper in Fortress of Doom...

How come this game wasn't "cancelled" by the usual suspects? :lol: it seems that Joker was dragged through the gutter for way less.
They tried, but they failed.

So I just learned that the Phobos moon does exist in real life. Lmao https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_(moon)

Anyway, I'm halfway through Doom 64 now, but I miss getting my Ultra-Violent ass getting handed to me on a regular. Seeing as the DLCs are not available in a, uh, well, demo version... I finally copped a Steam key for a Deluxe version.

Eagerly expecting to rip and tear the true scourge of humanity, Stone Imps - i.e. Simps

So I just learned that the Phobos moon does exist in real life.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Imagine when you find out that our solar system has at least 150 confirmed moons.

:lol: Of course I know this kind of information; I just never made the connection with the Greek/Roman pantheon and assumed it's a semi made-up placeholder, like i.e. Vice City in GTA, instead of some alphanumeric designation.

I admit the ratings are well-deserved though lmao.

Caim

Arcane
So I just learned that the Phobos moon does exist in real life.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Imagine when you find out that our solar system has at least 150 confirmed moons.
:lol: Of course I know this kind of information; I just never made the connection with the Greek/Roman pantheon and assumed it's a semi made-up placeholder, like i.e. Vice City in GTA, instead of some alphanumeric designation.

I admit the ratings are well-deserved though lmao.
Now look up who chained Prometheus to his rock. Hint: it's not Hephaestus.

Now look up who chained Prometheus to his rock. Hint: it's not Hephaestus.

Alan Ripley.

So I'm after the 1st level of TAG1, Ultra-Violence. My reflexes are too boomer for Nightmare, I switch weapons like my mother types on a keyboard.

I was on the lookout for those famous 2 Marauders, they finally appeared at the end of the level. Turns out that was the easier part :lol: that last arena was so swamped with enemies, running as randomly in all directions as I was that I just started to laugh out loud at the sheer ridiculousness and absurdity of this gaem.

Good trollish DLC so far. As always, I enjoyed the Slayer Gate the most. I also think the Unmaykr is the most underrated weapon in the game; at least for me, I always prefer to split those rare 30 rounds for a couple of Archviles or something similar here or there, than just clearing out a room full of fodder that doesn't kill the big leagues anyway.

Caim

Arcane
So I'm after the 1st level of TAG1, Ultra-Violence. My reflexes are too boomer for Nightmare, I switch weapons like my mother types on a keyboard.

I was on the lookout for those famous 2 Marauders, they finally appeared at the end of the level. Turns out that was the easier part :lol: that last arena was so swamped with enemies, running as randomly in all directions as I was that I just started to laugh out loud at the sheer ridiculousness and absurdity of this gaem.

Good trollish DLC so far. As always, I enjoyed the Slayer Gate the most. I also think the Unmaykr is the most underrated weapon in the game; at least for me, I always prefer to split those rare 30 rounds for a couple of Archviles or something similar here or there, than just clearing out a room full of fodder that doesn't kill the big leagues anyway.
It's a decent start, yes. TAG1 is better at trolling than 2, and there's some good stuff ahead of you. Do remember that you have the Unmakyr near the very end of the game.

So does this game have any longevity, outside of this 1v2 multiplayer?

One thing I cannot fathom is how apparently, 1,5 years after the release, there's still no level editor or any real modding support. Not only is OG Doom (2), an almost 30 year old (!) game the absolute #1 advertisement of modding and what wonders it can do for a game; even the platform is Bethesda's out of all things lmao. They can even integrate it in this official multiverse "lore", as some format named W.A.D. ("Wayshrines to Alternate Dimensions", "Waddling Around Doomfaggotry" or whatever). Maybe that "snapmap" from Doom 2016 was such a disaster than they didn't even care this time around?

Caim

Arcane
So does this game have any longevity, outside of this 1v2 multiplayer?

One thing I cannot fathom is how apparently, 1,5 years after the release, there's still no level editor or any real modding support. Not only is OG Doom (2), an almost 30 year old (!) game the absolute #1 advertisement of modding and what wonders it can do for a game; even the platform is Bethesda's out of all things lmao. They can even integrate it in this official multiverse "lore", as some format named W.A.D. ("Wayshrines to Alternate Dimensions", "Waddling Around Doomfaggotry" or whatever). Maybe that "snapmap" from Doom 2016 was such a disaster than they didn't even care this time around?
Nope. Sometimes they add in a new challenge map, but that happens only rarely (once per six months or so). The touted invasion mode that let you drop into someone else's game to mess with them has been scrapped in favor of a horde mode, which was already being modded in by the fans. For the rest there's fake longevity by putting unlockable skins behind a grind, and you have to complete the grind in a month before the unlock track gets replaced by another one. For example, the new track appeared today and will run until September 2nd. And if you missed them? Well, the first two packs are available for purchase at $8.99 each.

HansDampf

Arcane
Would be great if they released a proper level editor and tools that allow people to create custom maps and campaigns like for old Doom. There is lots of potential here. But modern gaming industry is being modern gaming industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom