Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Valve never bribed any third party for an exclusive. Ever.

Great observation. They even said it:

Whenever we talk to third-party partners, we encourage them to put their games in as many places as possible, including not on our platforms," she said. "Because we think that customers are everywhere, and they want to put their games wherever customers are.

That sounds so great. So customer. Much friendly. Wicked tongues would say it's just smarmy corporate speak and it's easy to be magnanimous when there's noone to fight against. But that's just mean.

Now calm down already ok? Let's give it a time. I suspect in a while we'll see how strong Valve's commitment to NEVER EVER pay for exclusives is, now that it actually makes a business sense.

Perkel

Arcane
Also what "features" you speak of.
pU9hqnN.png

Nigga half of those are not even features.

"Early access"
"DRM Free Support"
"badges"
"trading cards"

What next ?

"broken games"
"picture of gaben"
"ability to double click to start game"

Perkel

Arcane
pU9hqnN.png

"Early access"
"DRM Free Support"
"badges"
"trading cards"

What next ?

"broken games"
"picture of gaben"
Do you think GOG should be called a DRM-free platform?

Nigga steam IS drm. Can't be "DRM free option" when no game is DRM free on this platform.
Early access - "We sell broken game here"

badges/trading cards - digital version of this crap given by retailers:

Murk

Arcane
Curious what role if any 4A games had in this decision if the original author is not happy with it.

Sentinel

Arcane
pU9hqnN.png

"Early access"
"DRM Free Support"
"badges"
"trading cards"

What next ?

"broken games"
"picture of gaben"
Do you think GOG should be called a DRM-free platform?

Nihha steam is drm
Nice question dodge. I guess you immediately realized how retarded your post was. It's ok, I won't tell anyone.

Perkel

Arcane
Nice question dodge. I guess you immediately realized how retarded your post was. It's ok, I won't tell anyone.

No i though you are half retarded but seems like you are double retarded.
GOG is DRM free platform. Every single game it has has offline installer and no game requires GOG to function.

There is no such a thing as DRM free or DRM free option on Steam when you need Steam to install even game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Curious what role if any 4A games had in this decision if the original author is not happy with it.

Well, apparently zero.

I do want to finally see competition for Steam but these casualties man....Metro is a fantastic IP, a true Half-Life successor, I've played it since 2033 came out. Sucks it wasn't some retarded sports game or a shooter instead to be the inevitable casualty of this war.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Deep Silver has the exclusive rights to make games for this franchise. 4A Games is forced to accept whatever they come up with. So they can't afford to have an opinion in this matter . I wouldn't be suprised if Derp Silver is the only one who will get the bribe from Epic.

Sentinel

Arcane
GOG is DRM free platform. Every single game it has has offline installer and no game requires GOG to function.
But if "DRM-free" is not a feature (when applied to Steam), according to you, why even mention that GOG is a DRM free platform? It's not a feature.
Which one is it?

Perkel

Arcane
But if "DRM-free" is not a feature (when applied to Steam), according to you, why even mention that GOG is a DRM free platform? It's not a feature.
Which one is it?

The difference is that STEAM IS NOT DRM FREE NOR HAS AN OPTION TO BE DRM FREE.

Sentinel

Arcane
Which one is it?

The difference is that STEAM IS NOT DRM FREE NOR HAS AN OPTION TO BE DRM FREE.
But that's just wrong. Steam is a storefront, simple as that. Valve offers a thing called Steamworks. Steamworks is an optional set of tools that developers can use to integrate their games with Steam's features. Part of the Steamworks catalogue is a thing called Steamworks DRM, which, again, just like all Steamworks features, is entirely optional.

See https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features

Conclusion: Steam fully supports DRM-free titles, and there's a couple of them on the Store.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

No i though you are half retarded but seems like you are double retarded.

There is no such a thing as DRM free or DRM free option on Steam when you need Steam to install even game.
Why are you arguing niggers? GoG is the best option even with the knee bending,steam is shit while epic is an epic shit!

Perkel

Arcane
But that's just wrong. Steam is a storefront, simple as that. Valve offers a thing called Steamworks. Steamworks is an optional set of tools that developers can use to integrate their games with Steam's features. Part of the Steamworks catalogue is a thing called Steamworks DRM, which, again, just like all Steamworks features, is entirely optional.

Conclusion: Steam fully supports DRM-free titles, and there's a couple of them on the Store.

Can you install game without Steam ? No.
GOG provides you installer so even if there is no GOG anymore you will be able to install properly game and play.

That is definition of DRM free.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
So more Epic exclusives: Metro: Exdous which brings all the rage, and now Operencia: The Stolen Sun, a turn-based dungeon crawler even. What's next? Owlcat's next game and Kingdom Come 2 go Epic? Larian's next game? (Though it looks like their publishing director is not fond of this kind of thing.)
I am actually upset now. Zen Studios does great work and Operencia looks like an excellent dungeon crawler (turn-based and no weeb shit).

Sentinel

Arcane

Can you install game without Steam ? No.
GOG provides you installer so even if there is no GOG anymore you will be able to install properly game and play.

That is definition of DRM free.
So all Steam has to do for you to consider it DRM free is to give you an offline installer? 'Cause GOG also asks you to log in to your account to access your installers if they aren't on your PC.

Solid Snail

Learned
The hilarious thing is those devs/publishers still use Steam to promote their games/offer support via forums/news.
Operencia had also a beta on Steam, and now the only platform with a beta will see the game one year later.
Valve should really lock the forum and news tabs until the game is released for those games which will launc one year later, by doing this those publishers will see an increase in the amount of tickets received through their alternative support channels (their site, Twitter, Facebook etc).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Proof that Epic store isn't the competition PC game storefronts need, but a fucking leech that tries to gather users by holding games hostage with exclusivity deals.

Competition = you can choose between several stores for the same game (like you can choose between Steam and GoG depending on your preferences).

This isn't competition this is being assholes.

Solid Snail

Learned
Valve should do the same with In The Valley of Gods, leave it to be multiplatform for PS4, XBox One, Switch, Epic Store, Windows Store, than one week before release take it down from all stores except Steam, it would be amazing to see.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Valve should do the same with In The Valley of Gods, leave it to be multiplatform for PS4, XBox One, Switch, Epic Store, Windows Store, than one week before release take it down from all stores except Steam, it would be amazing to see.
No, Valve should continue doing Steam as they always have except just don't let these timed exclusives ever release on Steam. We'll see how much they enjoy that Epic money when they're stuck on that store.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
No, Valve should continue doing Steam as they always have except just don't let these timed exclusives ever release on Steam. We'll see how much they enjoy that Epic money when they're stuck on that store.
As hilarious as that would be, it sounds like a bad way to run a business. Not to mention the blowback from devs and/or "journalists" who would label Valve as vindictive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom