Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just read this post and was impressed how shitty epic is and how stupid people are:

I can't understand how people can defend EGS while:

They have terrible security (80 million accounts were exposed last week)
-They have terrible customer service (just google it)
-Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing
-You can't play games offline
-Limited social features
-No screenshots
-No controller support
-They broke EU laws (and still do)
-Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box to opt out of emails etc)
-They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)
-No achievements
-No cloud saves
-No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)
-Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games
-They are anti-consumer (They pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)
-They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria
-No reviews
-No Linux support
There's also this pic
pU9hqnN.png
Red for the win i see.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Reviews screenshots and achievements are one thing, but not being able to play shit offline without using a dump command line argument is actually the cake.

I can do without the dumb add on things that don't actually matter Epic store but if you are going to restrict people from playing when their internet is cut unless you are sufficiently handy with computers to make your own argument well wtf

kalganoat

Savant
What can steam do at this point? If publishers are willing to give up the larger userbase of steam then Epic must've written them a HUGE check.

Arulan

Cipher
Fuck off Epic Games. I won't support your bullshit exclusivity practices.

If in a year's time I'm still interested in the game, the developer is only getting the Humble Bundle cut, or 70% of a steep discount.

Given the reaction I've seen here and elsewhere, I'm being pretty generous even. Good luck with your fan base Deep Silver / 4A Games.

I wonder when we'll get the news about how well these games have sold?
We wont.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gotta say I am really surprised by your extreme ignorance and stupidity when it comes to this topic. I thought you were not a moron, but on this thing you definitely are.
I'm not as surprised by your stupidity and blindness, it's hard to spot in yourself when it's couched in a safes space of a majority view.

Sentinel

Arcane
Gotta say I am really surprised by your extreme ignorance and stupidity when it comes to this topic. I thought you were not a moron, but on this thing you definitely are.
I'm not as surprised by your stupidity and blindness, it's hard to spot in yourself when it's couched in a safes space of a majority view.
funny for the guy who admitted he was an irrational hater

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
funny for the guy who admitted he was an irrational hater

I'm a strictly rational hater. Steam is a greedy, lazy, arrogant monopoly and must be taken down.

But I'm glad you unsuspectingly brought up the irrationality issue. Apart from one single argument (exclusives are bad) everything I saw ITT is feelz, drama, retardery and severe cases Stockholm syndrome.
- Chinks!
- launching games from desktop is teh hard!
- no way I'm using another launcher, got no space for the icon on muh desktop
- no reviews! how do i know teh game is good?
- competition sells games cheaper....I...uh...u stupid!
- Chinks!

Have I omitted something?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Congrats for supporting anti-consumer practices

I suppose supporting Steam greedy, lazy, expensive monopoly is pro-consumer.

Loads of confused, stockholm-syndromed ppl ITT but this one takes the
participationtrophy.png
Just launch the games from your desktop bro! Clients don't matter then!

You're barking at the wrong tree bro.
It's not me whining that launching gaymez from the desktop is teh hard.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

participationtrophy.png

Bro, that's what I've been saying the past 5 pages.
What. You understand you can't just launch a game from your desktop free of a client now days, right? If you click that shortcut on your desktop it will then launch through the client. If you don't have the client running then it will launch the client, then launch the game through the client. You can't even buy a physical dvd in a physical store and launch it free of a client because most games now days require a client for installation.

You are living in some kind of delusional fantasy land where you can just install a game off a disc and double click the exe on your desktop and go. Most people here aren't, so the arguments are based around the fact that clients are a matter of course, and thereby it's preferable to be stuck with a single client that is at least not trying to fuck its customers in the ass with shady business practices, or having to make 5 different accounts for 5 different client storefronts because every producer wants their own games to be exclusive.

Wolfe

Arbiter
How is this guy too thick to understand that poaching developers to your shitty, underdeveloped, feature starved platform by giving them a larger cut of the sales is ANTI-CONSUMER? The exclusivity deal is forcing the players who want to play this to install inferior software.

I'm not giving Epic any money in the hope that they'll eventually add more features and actually become serious competition to Steam, since at the moment all they are is a joke.

- Chinks!
- launching games from desktop is teh hard!
- no way I'm using another launcher, got no space for the icon on muh desktop
- no reviews! how do i know teh game is good?
- competition sells games cheaper....I...uh...u stupid!
- Chinks!

No, dude, you have been presented several different arguments and you refuse to take them into consideration because you're a blind Steam hater. Did you also intentionally forget that Deep Silver had planned this for a while but still advertised the game on Steam in the meantime.. just because they're scum?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This thread became really painful to read. It crossed that dangerous threshold when it's no longer possible to discern whether someone really is so deep into roleplaying on the internet like it's 2001 or just so fucking thick. But both possibilities are equally scary. Anyway - please, stop.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Are you just extremely oblivious and don't notice the store client launching when you start the game from your desktop? Or are you pretending to be stupid? Only way you are going to launch a game bought through a client like steam, epic, origin, etc without having the client running is by installing a crack, at which point you may as well pirate it.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
This thread became really painful to read. It crossed that dangerous threshold when it's no longer possible to discern whether someone really is so deep into roleplaying on the internet like it's 2001 or just so fucking thick. But both possibilities are equally scary. Anyway - please, stop.
"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."

Heresiarch

Prophet
You guys may not know nor care, but the real funny thing is Epic store fucking does not sell their games in China because Tencent obviously doesn't want them to operate there as it will compete with Tencent's own store Wegame (which has a pathetic amount of games because the CCP doesn't approve games for Tencent lol including Metro Exodus). So Deep Silver and any other devs/publishers going Epic store exclusive have essentially given up the whole Chinese market.

But hey if they can afford to piss off the whole Steam community might as well piss off another couple of millions of commie gamers don't they.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

participationtrophy.png

Bro, that's what I've been saying the past 5 pages.
What. You understand you can't just launch a game from your desktop free of a client now days, right? If you click that shortcut on your desktop it will then launch through the client. If you don't have the client running then it will launch the client, then launch the game through the client. You can't even buy a physical dvd in a physical store and launch it free of a client because most games now days require a client for installation.

You are living in some kind of delusional fantasy land where you can just install a game off a disc and double click the exe on your desktop and go. Most people here aren't, so the arguments are based around the fact that clients are a matter of course, and thereby it's preferable to be stuck with a single client that is at least not trying to fuck its customers in the ass with shady business practices, or having to make 5 different accounts for 5 different client storefronts because every producer wants their own games to be exclusive.
All my games launch without a client.
:smug:
Half of them are from GoG,the other half are from the warp.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You guys may not know nor care, but the real funny thing is Epic store fucking does not sell their games in China because Tencent obviously doesn't want them to operate there as it will compete with Tencent's own store Wegame (which has a pathetic amount of games because the CCP doesn't approve games for Tencent lol including Metro Exodus). So Deep Silver and any other devs/publishers going Epic store exclusive have essentially given up the whole Chinese market.

But hey if they can afford to piss off the whole Steam community might as well piss off another couple of millions of commie gamers don't they.

So the same as Steam which also doesn't sell its games in China (legally)?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How is this guy too thick to understand that poaching developers to your shitty, underdeveloped, feature starved platform by giving them a larger cut of the sales is ANTI-CONSUMER?

If you are open to listen instead of just thinking you must be right and smart because 10 other people agree with you I'll try to get my point across again, this time without intentionally pushing your buttons.

Steam's position on the PC market is not pro-consumer ok. It's the exact opposite. And taking on something like Valve can not be bloodless and nice. It's a war. Valve itself - the company you're defending now - got big PRECISELY because of this "anti-consumer" tool - locking certain games on Steam. Not to mention from that moment on there have been HUNDREDS, if not zounds of third-party games exclusive to Steam. Not only you couldn't run them without Steam, you couldn't even BUY the key anywhere else.

The most fucked up hurdle for any competition is this little thing called platform lock-in/vendor lock-in. Google it. TLDR if a platform reaches a critical threshold, consumers become too dependent on it and switching comes with such an inconvenience it's almost impossible to lure people away with just the same or higher quality of services. If you have all your contacts and message history on Facebook, all your songs on iTunes, all your ebooks on Amazon or all your games and friends on Steam, you won't cross over to the competition just because they offer a better chat and smoother client UI. Not saying Epic's simplistic approach helped - they should've hit the ground running with something equally robust as Steam. But it's utterly naive to think that's nearly enough against such a cement block case of a vendor lock-in as Steam.

People are screaming their heads off because someone is dragging them from the Gaben's warm womb into some other alien, cold world. Sweeney and his gang are not stupid, they knew it'd happen. And I'm super interested how are they gonna play the PR game now. I agree they made a mistake betting on a stripped down launcher but as for the exclusives, they did NOT have a choice. And WE don't have a choice. If we want Steam to be checked by a true, full-blown competitor, there will be blood. Epic has to get their shit together fast and rethink their naked client approach. They reacted to the refund policy backlash fast so hopefully they are learning animals.

But they'll never got anywhere without being mean and poaching devs away from Steam. There will NEVER be any competition without a bloody, fierce and hopefully short war of territory. They WILL have to break the platform lock-in by dragging a critical pool of gamerdom onto their platform kicking and screaming, against their will. Just like Steam dragged people onto Steam against theirs, when they pushed through a huge backlash, claims about anti-consumerism, petitions and even calls for regulators to intervene IIRC. In two, three years Steam have built up a critical pool of users, locked them in and since then enjoyed a near-monopoly status with hundreds of exclusives in a wonderful, content silence of the lambs. Until now.

Now resume your piling on about how I'm thick and just NOT understand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom