Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by AngryEddy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    I have been playing this mod on and off and it honestly kind of creeps me out from time to time, even when I have the lights on.

^ Top  
  2. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I've finished recently mega-wad Epic 2 made by Eternal.

The egyptian theme mixed with alien installations scattered around gave it a really distinctive and good look. Everything fits together and doesn't look like it was just randomly merged. The careful eye can see some old decorations taken from Exhumed, Hexen, Blood, and more but like I said, it's done really well.

But the design of the level, wow! It's just simply amazing, with nicely placed traps and secrets all around. It isn't as easy as early campaigns that were made by others. But it isn't as tough as some other works. In fact good old Alien Vendetta is still more chalenging. What is important, is that pacing and key hunting have been tested for a long time. You just can feel it, how intuitive everything is. Even though there is a new puzzle element, where we need to shoot a button or find it, like Indiana Doom Jones. There are some maps more infested, when we are progressing further but they are scattered to not kill our enjoyment. The only thing that pissed me, was the kill room near one of the last levels, where Revenants and Arch Viles were spawning like crazy. Doctor Destroyer recommends a high dosage of BFG9000 to cure this sickness. If anyone would make a Top 10 mega-wads list, and didn't include Epic 2, than you know he doesn't know what he is talking about.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur

This seems to be a thing now in Doom mod music

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    Doom logo is epic, with this amount of handcrafted details. Create this disturbing feeling of "abyss".
    feeling like this: (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or maybe I should do something instead of staring at youtube static screen

^ Top  
  5. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Where's the third picture from? It looks bleak as hell.

^ Top  
  6. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    Nuselský most

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Started playing Adventures of Square and holy shit that quad barreled shotgun is satisfying!

^ Top  
  8. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Which was pretty damn good:
    • Juicy as fuck
    • semi free-roaming world (you ran around post-apoc San Antonio shooting shit and looking for ways to proceed)
    • Large variety of weapons/items/enemies, plus different damage types
    • Vehicles
    • Interactivity up to and including throwing chairs at people (or turds if that's what you wanted)
    • Interesting handling of enemy AI - pretty much anything reasonably humanoid and capable of using weapons (including mutated rats) could pick up and use anything you could, or drive vehicles, while still behaving in distinct manner (so not being just reskins of the same bot with somewhat different stats)
    • Usable camera unlike MS

Guncaster is fucking awesome, although I specifically recommend Guncaster Vindicated instead of plain GC:
    • It's actually fucking hard without losing that feeling that you are effectively a small, localized apocalypse inflicted on anything unlucky to stand in broadly defined proximity of your way*.
    • Minigun has much better and more fitting "stratocaster" (alt-fire)
    • Dynamically ramping up enemy difficulty with different enemy variants - helps when near the end you can effectively consider cyberdemon a trash mob
    • Cultists replacing zombies are actually much more fun to murderize while remaining deadly to the very end
    • You can Chuck Norris lesser enemies around or kick some of the moderately sized ones (like barons of hell) in the nuts with appropriate reaction.
    • Some BD features
    • Selectable Modified Hell On Earth Starter Pack campaign if you run it from D2
    For anyone unfamiliar with GC, it's a protagonist/massively OP weapon/everything mod that runs with most custom wads in addition to all the main Doom Engine games, while providing modified intermissions (and even Strife's dialogue) to accommodate change of protagonist.
    You can fire a variety of stuff including revolver that seems to shoot something on the order of anti materiel rifle rounds by the look of it (your sidearm), railgun that based on firepower alone should be called freight-train-gun instead, belt fed two barrelled shotgun, or EIGHT barrelled supershotgun (with recoil to match and option of magazine extension accepting 24 shells and allowing 3 shots without reload), spells, weapon mods, spells working as weapon mods (like possessing the aforementioned SSG with a vengeful spirit that is effectively Caleb and having it fight by your side while spouting creepy oneliners), powered armour, shop and if all else fails you can climb on ledges, fly and breath fire. Because you are a dragon. Because of course you are**.

*) same continent, give or take

**) I stole this one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    do you know about other games with perspective like Take No Prisoners?
    i remember playing some game (not TNP) with similar view 15-20 years ago. Top view, some 3d walls. (also not GTA1)
    edit:
    find Mageslayer ':-/ - not sure if that was that.
    edit:
    its not Loaded, nor Machine Hunter - but gameplay top view was very similar
    there were 3 characters - all looks like "cyber" punks: warrior, hacker (weakest and useless unless I was too stupid to utilize his skills), ? - there was shooting with bazooka, hacking doors?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    I know there was this Quake engine game with a top down view but I can't recall its name.

Edit; maybe not the Quake engine but I definitely recall it using a 3D engine to create a degree of depth.

Edit 2; Mageslayer! That was the game I was thinking about.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    ^ Top  
  11. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Doom TCs are so good, just want to put that out there. With those source ports we effectively have one of the most versatile FPS maker engines out there, and the only real drawback is that the melee can be finnicky by default. That's it.

That said, do you guys you a specific mod launcher or do you just make a new folder + required wads/engine?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    Doom Launcher is a good frontend, particularly useful for keeping track of which wads you played. I helped the developer Nick beta test the latest versions last year but I burnt myself out playing all those doom wads I launched through Doom Launcher. :eek: Haven't touched Doom since then.

^ Top  
  14. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    I use ZDL to launch zdoom + wad of choice for SP. I also use it to start Doomseeker (configured for use with Zandronum) for MP. You can trick Steam into launching ZDL instead of the default DosBoxed Doom, this allows me to use the Steam Overlay. This is no longer possible with the Steam version of Doom 2 afaik.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur

• nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. TZ3K Arcane Patron

TZ3K
    • meh meh x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Oh my.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Are there any YouTubers that regularly do WAD reviews/playthroughs? I just downloaded gzDoom and have no idea where to start.

^ Top  
  19. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. TZ3K Arcane Patron

TZ3K
    More mods than wads.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ICARUSLIV3S

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    What I want is to not download a bunch of a garbage WADs with random scrolling textures, screaming and weeaboo bullshit and instead have a resource that tells me what the decent ones are.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    Did you actually click the links I gave you ? Because the first one is a collection of some good wads and mods for doom made by anon who even provided their description. The second link I quote "Since 2004, the year following 10 years of Doom, Doomworld has marked Doom's birthday by hosting an annual award ceremony honoring the year's top releases" contains reviews of some of the best wads and mods in history released for doom, there are download links as well. The third one is an official forum for source port that you downloaded - GZDoom, there you can find a lot of modifications with descriptions and videos. And finaly the fifth is another forum, but more WAD oriented.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    No, I didn't, because I'm retarded I guess. I'll check it out. Your "do whatever the fuck you want" threw me off and the links look like generic, non-specific wad sites.

^ Top  
  24. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    hell forged is very nice (among the few wad that i play). it was even recently updated

^ Top  
  25. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    I mainly looked at IcarusLiv3s and tried the ones that looked cool.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)