Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Lagi

Savant
Nuselský most

DraQ

Arcane
Raven also developed Take No Prisoners in 97.
Which was pretty damn good:
  • Juicy as fuck
  • semi free-roaming world (you ran around post-apoc San Antonio shooting shit and looking for ways to proceed)
  • Large variety of weapons/items/enemies, plus different damage types
  • Vehicles
  • Interactivity up to and including throwing chairs at people (or turds if that's what you wanted)
  • Interesting handling of enemy AI - pretty much anything reasonably humanoid and capable of using weapons (including mutated rats) could pick up and use anything you could, or drive vehicles, while still behaving in distinct manner (so not being just reskins of the same bot with somewhat different stats)
  • Usable camera unlike MS

Guncaster was also pretty fun, though you end up overpowered very quickly with the greatly increased enemy count. If you got the meteor punch thing and the Iron (Dragon) Man suit you were pretty much unstoppable. Great super-shotgun though. Or super-super-super-shotgun, I guess.
Guncaster is fucking awesome, although I specifically recommend Guncaster Vindicated instead of plain GC:
  • It's actually fucking hard without losing that feeling that you are effectively a small, localized apocalypse inflicted on anything unlucky to stand in broadly defined proximity of your way*.
  • Minigun has much better and more fitting "stratocaster" (alt-fire)
  • Dynamically ramping up enemy difficulty with different enemy variants - helps when near the end you can effectively consider cyberdemon a trash mob
  • Cultists replacing zombies are actually much more fun to murderize while remaining deadly to the very end
  • You can Chuck Norris lesser enemies around or kick some of the moderately sized ones (like barons of hell) in the nuts with appropriate reaction.
  • Some BD features
  • Selectable Modified Hell On Earth Starter Pack campaign if you run it from D2
For anyone unfamiliar with GC, it's a protagonist/massively OP weapon/everything mod that runs with most custom wads in addition to all the main Doom Engine games, while providing modified intermissions (and even Strife's dialogue) to accommodate change of protagonist.
You can fire a variety of stuff including revolver that seems to shoot something on the order of anti materiel rifle rounds by the look of it (your sidearm), railgun that based on firepower alone should be called freight-train-gun instead, belt fed two barrelled shotgun, or EIGHT barrelled supershotgun (with recoil to match and option of magazine extension accepting 24 shells and allowing 3 shots without reload), spells, weapon mods, spells working as weapon mods (like possessing the aforementioned SSG with a vengeful spirit that is effectively Caleb and having it fight by your side while spouting creepy oneliners), powered armour, shop and if all else fails you can climb on ledges, fly and breath fire. Because you are a dragon. Because of course you are**.

*) same continent, give or take

**) I stole this one.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
do you know about other games with perspective like Take No Prisoners?
i remember playing some game (not TNP) with similar view 15-20 years ago. Top view, some 3d walls. (also not GTA1)
edit:
find Mageslayer ':-/ - not sure if that was that.
edit:
its not Loaded, nor Machine Hunter - but gameplay top view was very similar
there were 3 characters - all looks like "cyber" punks: warrior, hacker (weakest and useless unless I was too stupid to utilize his skills), ? - there was shooting with bazooka, hacking doors?

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I know there was this Quake engine game with a top down view but I can't recall its name.

Edit; maybe not the Quake engine but I definitely recall it using a 3D engine to create a degree of depth.

Edit 2; Mageslayer! That was the game I was thinking about.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Doom TCs are so good, just want to put that out there. With those source ports we effectively have one of the most versatile FPS maker engines out there, and the only real drawback is that the melee can be finnicky by default. That's it.

That said, do you guys you a specific mod launcher or do you just make a new folder + required wads/engine?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69346-doom-launcher-doom-frontend-database-v263-92018/

I use this frontend for single player (GzDoom) and Doomseeker + Zandronum for multiplayer. It's really easy to configure, and you can directly download wads from Idgames servers without browsing it, if you have the name of the file and is hosted there.

dlstat.png.dc1829781c7841bbf3a4f4c2d1ea1d4e.png

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Doom Launcher is a good frontend, particularly useful for keeping track of which wads you played. I helped the developer Nick beta test the latest versions last year but I burnt myself out playing all those doom wads I launched through Doom Launcher. :eek: Haven't touched Doom since then.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I use ZDL to launch zdoom + wad of choice for SP. I also use it to start Doomseeker (configured for use with Zandronum) for MP. You can trick Steam into launching ZDL instead of the default DosBoxed Doom, this allows me to use the Steam Overlay. This is no longer possible with the Steam version of Doom 2 afaik.

j7SxncC.png

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
Are there any YouTubers that regularly do WAD reviews/playthroughs? I just downloaded gzDoom and have no idea where to start.

Skdursh

Savant
Are there any YouTubers that regularly do WAD reviews/playthroughs? I just downloaded gzDoom and have no idea where to start.
https://i.imgur.com/Hx8VpW6.png
https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/
https://forum.zdoom.org/
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/4-wads-mods/

Do whatever the fuck you want.
What I want is to not download a bunch of a garbage WADs with random scrolling textures, screaming and weeaboo bullshit and instead have a resource that tells me what the decent ones are.

Sjukob

Arcane
What I want is to not download a bunch of a garbage WADs with random scrolling textures, screaming and weeaboo bullshit and instead have a resource that tells me what the decent ones are.
Did you actually click the links I gave you ? Because the first one is a collection of some good wads and mods for doom made by anon who even provided their description. The second link I quote "Since 2004, the year following 10 years of Doom, Doomworld has marked Doom's birthday by hosting an annual award ceremony honoring the year's top releases" contains reviews of some of the best wads and mods in history released for doom, there are download links as well. The third one is an official forum for source port that you downloaded - GZDoom, there you can find a lot of modifications with descriptions and videos. And finaly the fifth is another forum, but more WAD oriented.

Skdursh

Savant
Did you actually click the links I gave you ? Because the first one is a collection of some good wads and mods for doom made by anon who even provided their description. The second link I quote "Since 2004, the year following 10 years of Doom, Doomworld has marked Doom's birthday by hosting an annual award ceremony honoring the year's top releases" contains reviews of some of the best wads and mods in history released for doom, there are download links as well. The third one is an official forum for source port that you downloaded - GZDoom, there you can find a lot of modifications with descriptions and videos. And finaly the fifth is another forum, but more WAD oriented.
No, I didn't, because I'm retarded I guess. I'll check it out. Your "do whatever the fuck you want" threw me off and the links look like generic, non-specific wad sites.

Astral Rag

Arcane
2019 Cacoward winner Eviternity is also available for download.

E4D1443E9B798915F2E532EEDABC7D1D18310547

Eviternity is a megawad comprised of six 5-map episodes (called Chapters) plus two secret maps. This project exclusively uses OTEX, a brand new high quality texture pack by ukiro.

Eviternity's six chapters explore a series of unique and varied themes, each featuring classic gameplay with an interest in making each map hold its own unique identity and personality. The themes are "Medieval", "Techbase", "Icy Castles", "Industrial / Brutalism", "Hell / Gore / Alien" and "Heaven".

This project was created as a birthday gift to Doom, which is celebrating its 25th birthday on the day this was released. The texture pack used in this project, OTEX, was also released on the same day - so please do not use Eviternity as a base for your wads & mods. While mostly being a "Dragonfly project", with 24 maps being made or heavily worked on by myself, I present to you a mighty lineup of well-known guest mappers who have crafted beautiful and fun levels.

Download Links:

dfdoom.com: https://www.dfdoom.com/project/eviternity/

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsnhlzj77aj962a/Eviternity-RC1.zip?dl=1

evi-post-08.jpg

evi-post-11.jpg

evi-post-05.jpg

evi-post-01.png

edit: Finished the first Chapter. Excellent wad so far. I posted some screenshots here. I hope we get more more wads that make use of this new texture set.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom