Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is cyberpunk 2077 going to be good

Egosphere

Arcane
I think it'll be okay, but like a lot of modern games, it will eventually just pass by and be forgotten. I doubt it will have a cult following 20 years down the line.

alyvain

Learned
So like every AAA then.

More or less, yes. Like GTA V but with augmentations and perhaps some nice choice and consequences. But maybe I'm just projecting my experience with the Witcher onto Cyberpunk, and it's actually gonna be fun.

Luckily torrents are free

waken

Educated
I still hope it'll be good, but so far every leaked screenshot, trailer and gameplay video has decreased my interest in this game. As mentioned before, it has the vibe of a typical AAA title that plays everything safe. CDPR: victims of their own success, basically.

janior

Arcane
Patron
jgY6vF4.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, all movements need their poster boys +M
Cope.
Maybe but I doubt it would be awesome enough to justify spending over a grand on a graphics card.
It's not the problem of just spending over a grand on a GPU. It's the problem of said GPU being not very good investment. Previously Nvidia dropped a 699$ GTX 1080 Ti as an answer to Vega 64 (shouldn't have to but even Novideo fell for the hype and they did, who's greedy now?!), and it wasn't matched for another three years in price/performance ratio. 1200$ still uncapable into ray-tracing RTX 2080 Ti on the other hand is meh. If all rumors regarding RTX Ampere turn out to be true, RTX 3080 alone would be great.

How about RTX 2070 Super?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Unless you want to give up native resolution then practically no card will get you ray tracing at a good framerate. Even the 2080ti can't max ray tracing in Control at 1080p and maintain a constant 60fps, let alone 1440p. Ray tracing in the 2000 series was an early adopter lark, not something you actually turn on for gameplay. Will it be better on the 3000 series? I would certainly hope so. It'll be interesting to see what console performance and power is with ray tracing, since for better or worse they define the market.

If you just mean raw performance today though, the 2070 Super is probably the sweet spot (though still overpriced compared to the cost/performance ratio we got a few years ago).

Zer0wing

Cipher
Wait for Ampere & RDNA2 and choose between them, unironic advice. RTX 2070S is absolutely NOT a sweet spot as people making it out to be. Performance wise it's still jumping around GTX 1080 Ti and RX 5700 XT.

Besides. Looking at GPUs from "pure performance" side is irrelevant now, when new consoles are getting ray tracing support. You HAVE to count RT performance in. And Ampere is doubling down on that. I presume you have 1440P or better monitor? Then RTX 2070S is out of the window.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Wait for Ampere & RDNA2 and choose between them, unironic advice. RTX 2070S is absolutely NOT a sweet spot as people making it out to be. Performance wise it's still jumping around GTX 1080 Ti and RX 5700 XT.

Besides. Looking at GPUs from "pure performance" side is irrelevant now, when new consoles are getting ray tracing support. You HAVE to count RT performance in. And Ampere is doubling down on that. I presume you have 1440P or better monitor? Then RTX 2070S is out of the window.

I already got it cause I needed something fast.

Ampere (RTX 3080) is for Data Centers and AI therefore it will be expensive. Affordable new versions will be announced in 2021 or 2022. I don't want to wait until then.

AMD's CPUs are good but their video cards are still retarded. I mean the HW is probably good but the drivers are shit. The same old story. I don't expect anything special from them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Older cards like the 1080ti cost just as much as the newer ones, and have worse driver optimizations. "Sweet spot" is a subjective term, but if someone asked me which $400-500 "mid-range" card to get today then the 2070S or 5700xt are the obvious answers, depending on your company preference.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I don't have very high hopes. The setting looks dope, but there's been so little actual game shown off, it gives the impression that CDPR are just faffing about.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Ampere (RTX 3080) is for Data Centers and AI therefore it will be expensive. Affordable new versions will be announced in 2021 or 2022. I don't want to wait until then.
It's not and will be out early this fall, consumer GPUs that is. Data Centers already got their GPUs, Tesla A100 released in May 14 that is.
I already got it cause I needed something fast.
Sell once RTX 3070 is out, what's the problem?
Older cards like the 1080ti cost just as much as the newer ones, and have worse driver optimizations.
I didn't say that GTX 1080 Ti is a good choice off second hand market, I said what I said.
Older cards like the 1080ti cost just as much as the newer ones, and have worse driver optimizations. "Sweet spot" is a subjective term, but if someone asked me which $400-500 "mid-range" card to get today then the 2070S or 5700xt are the obvious answers, depending on your company preference.
If a person asks how to spend 500$ three-to-four months before Ampere is out, then he's retarded. It's not 2019, too late to choose, sit tight with GT 630.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You know you don't need to crank everything? You can cut down slightly on settings and/or resolution and then you can save a lot of money.

Zer0wing

Cipher
You're still paying 500$ for GPU that is going to age like milk. It's not saving money, it's the opposite.
Also, good luck cutting down slightly on settings on a 1200$ GPU and not being robbed.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That's not true. I had the best graphics card on the market for years, it was nice but games were shit back then so at upgrade time, I got a mid range card. I kept it for about 5 or 6 years and it was fine. Most of what I play works fine on even a low end card. The occasional AAA beautiful turd that I played I had to drop the settings but then it worked fine. For the first few years that was little more than lowering one or two things like turning shadows from ultra to high or medium. Then a few more years I had to lower a few more. By the end I had to turn off shadows, low texture quality, etc, and at that point you are really missing out, but that was after having it for about 5 or 6 years. That's good value. The top GPUs always have an extra cost for recouping R&D and you pay a premium to be an early adopter. Buy something a year or two old and you get much better value.

tl-dr: Buying top end graphics cards is for chumps.

Also people should avoid 4k unless you are a millionaire.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If a person asks how to spend 500$ three-to-four months before Ampere is out, then he's retarded. It's not 2019, too late to choose, sit tight with GT 630.

I wouldn't advise an upgrade right now either. Just saying if you were to insist on one, I think the 5700xt or 2070S are the ones to get. 2070S provides enough of a boost over 2060 to be worth the extra money, especially if you're using a 1440p monitor.

But yes, wait for a 3070 if you can.

Terenty

Liturgist
How is it a good GTA clone? You can ride one car and one bike, the city is ten times smaller, the physics engine is ten times worse too i'm sure. If anything it seems to be Witcher 3 in a city with all the garbage mechanics it entails

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure this will be a good GTA clone because ... it should be hard to steal someone's car in the future :)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well at least Cyberpunk will likely be somewhat smarter than GTA. Eastern Yuro games tend to be janky and unpolished but at least they aren't typically as aggressively stupid as American mainstream entertainment. Yet.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I'm not sure this will be a good GTA clone because ... it should be hard to steal someone's car in the future :)
It was confirmed that we actually can steal someone's car.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom