Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Dorateen

Arcane
Puzzle-lite I'm sure. But the central quest is one shrouded in mystery, and I'm anticipating the aspect of further exploration and discovery.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How is it on the puzzles side of things?
rating_agenda.png
~4.5 hours in and I haven't encountered a typical puzzle. There are some environmental barriers that I haven't found a way through yet.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
BTW, for Codexians recommended difficulty is Hard, not Normal :)

At least that's my determination based on feedback gathered during EA. I suppose, some of you might even want to go for Insane, but I personally do not endorse anyone going for Insane difficulty (but I know there will be some people complaining that even Insane is too easy, well, life :D)

I think I read you upped enemy damage significantly from .91 when I did my insane run. In which case I don't think I would recommend the new Insane mode. It would still be beatable but characters would die even more.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Printed out the manual, and finally had a chance to sit down and start playing. Character creation was as fun as expected, and nothing in the world beats that feeling of initial non-linear exploration. Fighting and saving up enough gold to buy better equipment. I decided to go with the following configuration:

Healer, Bard, Troll Slayer, Knight, Warrior, Ranger, Wizard

13XKqGF.jpg

I think your part is pretty good except I think Troubadour gets one nice spell faster than Bard. Not a big deal though I don't think. Near the end I think it might be handy to have multiple Stuns from Ranger but that is mainly theory on my part.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
No secret doors or illusionary walls either. It is really not a difficult game.

Crossing the damn desert on Insane mode is by far the most irritating thing (not sure about difficult because I couldn't do it legitimately so I just used save/reload until I got lucky)

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I may have a problem with the ogre fortress quests. I have killed both ogre bosses, but the questgiver does not recognise the action. Is this a bug or have I been missing somehing? And, if it is a bug, is it critical to plot progression?

I encountered this as well and I'm not sure if it is a bug or intentional but the solution is to go back through both Forts and beat ALL the mobs. You probably have one stray remaining somewhere. I can't remember if it is critical to plot progression but you should go ahead and go it IMO.

One point of confusion is that it would suck if you tried bum rushing the Fort Commanders lol. But they are hard enough that I think you'd be able to clear the maps anyway by the time you can beat them (in insane mode anyway)

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
About an hour in and I'm loving it. I'm pretty sure I found a bug. When you enter Lord Ambirgton's castle, there's a plaque on the left side that says "ERROR! Plaque not defined."
It's an easy one (I broke it with the last release because I added some plaques in that location), will be fixed in the next version (probably next week or so). Thanks!

Sorry, I meant to report that but I wasn't sure if it was a bug or just a placeholder that you were well aware of.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
nothing in the world beats that feeling of initial non-linear exploration.

Healer, Bard, Troll Slayer, Knight, Warrior, Ranger, Wizard
I'll echo the feeling. Playing the same party composition, but with a troubadour instead of a bard.

Loving the general atmosphere and having lots of fun, but so far it feels pretty light tactics-wise. Clearing the sorcerer's tower required no thinking, for example.
Missing puzzles and secrets a bit, too.

_____

Possible spelling mistake:

"Where save files are located?"

Shouldn't it be: "where are save files located?"

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I may have a problem with the ogre fortress quests. I have killed both ogre bosses, but the questgiver does not recognise the action. Is this a bug or have I been missing somehing? And, if it is a bug, is it critical to plot progression?
It's a bug. Not critical at all, just a side quest. There is a quick workaround but I'm releasing v1.10 with this fixed today, so I won't post about it, please just wait a moment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2019/08/05/legends-of-amberland-version-1-10/

Legends of Amberland version 1.10

Version 1.10 released

The first after release version. Contains traditional fixes, some additional graphics and one interface improvement.

– [interface] Added Overburdened notice on Magic screen (to make it more clear that Arcane is affected by exceeding maximum encumbrance).

– [gfx] Added some missing properly scaled minimap object icons (orbs, crystals, etc).

– [fix] Killing ogre leaders quest (if you have an old save you need to reenter both forts for this quest to register, then you can report to the castle for the reward).
– [fix] Removed useless levers in Crystal Tower (leftovers from EA).
– [fix] One of the plaques in Watchdog Castle had no text.

LoA_screenshot_v1.10.0-300x169.png

Dorateen

Arcane
Some early impressions after playing this weekend. I think that difficulty in a Might & Magic 3-5 type game is rather situational: you wander into an area that is over the party's level. Or you stumble into a fight unprepared, low on health and magic, your abilities/resources already exhausted. Obviously resting at every opportunity makes the journey easier, but seeing how far you can push the party is where the fun is at.

As it was, I cleared the Brothers of the Knife hideout with a 4th level party. The battle with the Master Rogue was pretty intense. First time I had a character knocked unconscious, and had to use our Healer's Recovery spell.

The ogre commander in Fort Ghar had over 500 health, and hit like a ton of bricks. That was another fun fight, again requiring the recovery of fallen party members, during and post combat.

I've just started the Forge, and have fought battles with groups of three Pikeman who have over 200 hit points and can inflict a fear status effect and poison. These are all doable, but still have just enough tension to make it enjoyable.

Here's a small tip, in case anyone has missed it or not availed themselves of the option. On the right side of the adventuring screen, underneath the minimap, pressing the Info button brings up that information screen that was shared in a previous update. This can be consulted for every area, and dungeon location, displaying more back story and lore. Legends of Amberland shows to have some creative, well thought out world building.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Agreed, the world is very colourful and I find myself enjoying it a lot.

But another thing I've been missing is the in-world implementation of skills. Haven't come across any trapped chest (or any trap whatsoever) for example. In this sense, the rogue feels pretty much useless; party would have been better with an extra warrior or mage.
Perhaps it becomes useful later on? I've got my chars on lvl 18.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The Ranger stun is great. Made crossing the desert a lot easier when I could get two rounds of attacks before the red scorpions murdered me.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
There is no rogue class in the game :) Probably you have mistaken it with ranger who is a hybrid mage.
Indeed, I stand corrected. Would love to have him using non-combat abilities to surpass obstacles.

Boy, the desert area is HARD. Very nice.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Boy, the desert area is HARD. Very nice.
That was a double edged sword design wise. I made the desert extra hard on purpose (further areas just beyond desert are of lower danger level), yet more casual players think it's a balancing issue... Sigh...

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I bought this game yesterday (been on my wishlist since release). I have to wait to play it until I finish my current run through the SSI classics "Gateway to the Savage Frontier" and "Treasures of the Savage Frontier." But it's definitely next on my list.

In the meantime, are there any spoiler-free hints that someone new to the game should know?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I bought this game yesterday (been on my wishlist since release). I have to wait to play it until I finish my current run through the SSI classics "Gateway to the Savage Frontier" and "Treasures of the Savage Frontier." But it's definitely next on my list.

In the meantime, are there any spoiler-free hints that someone new to the game should know?
You have to go to a town and pay a trainer in order to level up your characters.

Dorateen

Arcane

You have to go to a town and pay a trainer in order to level up your characters.

The only thing that would make this better is if the trainer in town said "Good Job!" or "Not T'day!" when characters don't have enough experience.

Enrymion

Novice
So far I haven't seen any surprise events that are based on being in a specific tile you might not walk into, if there aren't any it might be worth it to make the maps in dungeons fill out also the tiles next to you(or the ones you can actually see) to make getting a fully explored map less annoying to get.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
LordArchibald
Stormfrost major Bjorn says: NPC NOT IMPLEMENTED YET.

Also, slayed the red dragon but the knight keeps talking about not being able to leave until it's dead.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Pretty hyped about v1.0 tomorrow! I bought the game a couple weeks ago and loved what I played (2 hours), but decided to wait until v1 to continue. Congrats on an awesome game, and a pox on GOG for turning it down! Hopefully they will reconsider at some point.

GOG turned it down? You have to be fucking shitting me. What a worthless scumbag site. Keep peddling those worthless VNs.

I'm sure buying this, I love you developer, you obviously couldn't make the best game in the world, but you did the best with what you had to make a game that's a love letter to lovers of those whimsical, exploration-heavy blobbers of the past. And you will learn from the weaknesses of this game to make another one that is better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom