Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Perkel

Arcane
It would be cool game if it would work more like Factorio/Satisfactory. And it is working like that since you need to visit different planet for resources but almost everything is manual and annoying and you can't really build anything with it.

but in the end, beside all its endless issues, do you know what's the worst? "go explore all these pristine planets!" and then everyone and his dog already lives on them.

Theldaran

Liturgist
maxresdefault.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
but in the end, beside all its endless issues, do you know what's the worst? "go explore all these pristine planets!" and then everyone and his dog already lives on them.

Plus, even Elite Dangerous manages to generate finite realistic star systems, NMS does not. "Space" in NMS is ultimately just a hub region to switch planets not an actual place in space.

Perkel

Arcane
And not forget stuff like gas giants, hypergiant stars etc.
The ground stuff is okish right now as gameplay loop as you earn money now in various ways.
It is space that is the problem as everything seems like western movie set where everything is from cardboard held by planks.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So this was his next video:

Half of it is just summary of events leading to release, something most in this thread probably know, but it is impressive when you hear how much was added after the fact in Sean's redemption arc. I think NMS still has absolutely no appeal to someone who doesn't like what it's peddling, but they have really made massive strides since launch. Shows what you can do when you have an agile team of 15-25 developers and financial safety... that you could've easily just taken out of the bank and ran instead of fixing your fuckup.

:hero:

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Being able to build bases and even build in your own freighter seem cool enough for me but yikes, they're still flogging it at $80 dollarydoos. Not sure how limited the base building is though.

I've seen it on sale for $40, think I'll wait until it's $20.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Being able to build bases and even build in your own freighter seem cool enough for me but yikes, they're still flogging it at $80 dollarydoos. Not sure how limited the base building is though.

:deathclaw:
You could always just get it for free lol. Why would you buy at full price the most massive hype train crash in the history of gaming?!

the base is a GIGANTIC time and money sink just for aestetic purposes. if you decide to delve deep, extremely deep, autistically deep into flowers planting and stay constantly on the game all the day every day you're going to earn about 1/100th of what you'd have got just playing casually.
the freighter is a portable autosave spot masked as a hardly rewarding cooldowns based browser game, one of the worst of those. other than that, it offers nothing that one of those omnipresent space stations already do, and more.

anything other than walking around and shooting at minerals (being constantly interrupted by annoying space anal probes) is what the whole game revolves around. so satisfying...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nothing they did would warrant paying money for, so...

Time is money, though, so if it's not worth buying, then it's not worth stealing, either. I'm by no means anti-piracy, but I don't see the point in wasting time playing something you consider to be worthless, which is why I stopped pirating stuff years ago.

...Until very recently, that is. I've reacquainted myself with piracy thanks to games that are exclusive to the Epic store. The publishers and developers will already have received a cash bribe from Epic Games, after all; I have nothing against competing with Steam in principle, either, but I draw the line at outright coercing consumers into downloading yet another DRM client.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'd like to say, by the way, that Internet Historian (to whose channel I've been subscribed for quite a while) changed my mind about Sean Murray—partly due to simply watching the included footage of Sean in various interviews and realizing on my own that he's really a hugely introverted, socially retarded dweeb thrust into the spotlight rather than a scheming liar and confidence man, and partly due to Historian's excellent and unbiased breakdown and analysis of the gaming "journalist"-fueled hype train.

More importantly though, after the game bombed, they actually hunkered down to continue working on it rather than abandoning it. Even if it's still not a game that some of us would consider worth playing, that means something. They could easily have taken the money and washed their hands of the whole debacle, but instead they did the honorable and commendable thing. Granted, it's easiier to do that thing when one has millions of dollars to cushion the blow of initial failure.

Perkel

Arcane
I steal from wallmart because wallmart has exclusive stuff i can't buy in tesco.
I mean "i pirate because yolo" makes more sense and is far more logical and acceptable.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I steal from wallmart because wallmart has exclusive stuff i can't buy in tesco.
I mean "i pirate because yolo" makes more sense and is far more logical and acceptable.
Sorry, but your comparison of Walmart to Epic Store is invalid, because in Walmart you can't be banned for buying too much products at the same time or Walmart can't steal back anything from you for shitty reason, I didn't heard about Walmart being publicly assholes towards customers either.
Comparing digital stores to normal stores is plain wrong.

JDR13

Arcane
Cool stories guys, but this thread is about No Man's Sky.

Anyways, I found it to be a decent time-waster for a few weeks last year. I put around 40 hours into it before I lost interest, but I felt like I got my money's worth. I haven't tried it since the Beyond update, but I hear the changes to the inventory system makes crafting a lot less tedious now.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Honestly, with the recent media buzz around NMS, it got me thinking that releasing a despicably incomplete and flawed game, then adding some basic functionalities to it later on could be used as a valid strategy, seeing how people keep praising it. Yes I know, they fucked up for real and sure deserve some praise for not abandoning it dead in the water, but seriously, they added some "fun with friends" stuff that makes the multiplayer component a decent experience, but it's nothing new, take Astroneer for instance. The core single player aspect it was advertised with - exploration is stale and boring, by large part because of the lousy game play loop and has nothing on handcrafted title like Subnautica. The procedural generation, as usual, is just a gimmick, since after 10h you've already seen 95% of game assets and from there on the only variety comes with composition, size and color. It's The Outer Worlds of exploration games.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Eh, I liked how they had faith in their game and continued to try to improve upon it with free big updates. And no disgusting cash grabbing microtransactiions. Quite frankly, never saw a high-profile game with that level of post-release support. NMS may not ever be what it could have been but they -- the developers -- have touched me with their ambition and sincerity to do their best and make a good game.... or die trying.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

My reasoning is entirely logical. I've returned to piracy because I don't wish to have my computer loaded down with DRM clients.

This is a wholly practical consideration. DRM is historically anti-consumer, inconveniencing (difficulty accessing products, loss of access to account, etc.) and even harming (disruption of driver configurations and OS settings, junk file accumulation, connectivity disruptions; occasionally even damage to hardware) paying customers, all while being almost entirely ineffective at accomplishing its goal: preventing piracy. DRM has a proven history of clandestine datamining, rootkit installation, and bogging down system performance with invasive processes and reconfiguration.

In the past, I simply refused to play DRM client-exclusive games at all. I quit playing Ubisoft games, even those that interested me, because although they're available via Steam, one also has to download UPlay in order to access them. One could argue that if I really feel so strongly about DRM, then I should avoid Steam as well—but there is value in making limited compromises. Steam is relatively benign from a consumer's perspective, despite its shortcomings (mainly its success in cornering the market, though there are others).

The Epic Store is a whole new ballgame. It's not just a DRM client for one publisher's or console manufacturer's games, which to be entirely fair is how Steam began as well. It's a platform for all comers, but unlike Steam, the Epic Store attempts to compete through bribery of independent studios into exclusivity agreements. That is where I choose to draw the line, because what they're doing to consumers is textbook coercion. Furthermore, multi-developer/-publisher DRM client exclusivity on the same fucking platform (the PC) is going a bit too far, a clear step toward consolization of the PC itself, and not only of individual games.

True, ultimately my justification is: 1.) because I can, and 2.) because they can't stop me. There's also a 2.5): They can't even datamine me and then send impotent hate mail to my ISP, because I use a professional VPN.

I do like to explain my reasoning and watch myself type, as we all know, but ultimately I don't seek your approval of my reasoning, nor anyone else's. There are a lot of Codexers who happen to agree with my stance on these matters, and while that's nice, I don't give a shit about their approval either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom