Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Space exploration is fun when it's interspersed between actually going to futuristic city hubs and interacting with other advanced races.
And I mean beyond them teaching you a word or selling you a ship part at the identical ship yard in every sector.

When the only thing to do is explore different colored planets with nothing interesting on them then it's boring.

You can spend nanites at the cartographers to get directions to points of interest and avoid exploration.

Theldaran

Liturgist
They did something in their PR art that I'll always remember and thought was brilliant when they designed the "box cover" in the style of classic dogeared science fiction paperbacks. Haven't really touched the game since that buggy initial release on PC where there was a major graphics caching issue that caused unacceptable stuttering but it looks like with so much more new content/features I should at least take another look at it. I don't really pay much attention to all the codex haters about NMS because half the time they seem on another wacky rant and haven't even checked out what the game is like now after it's troublesome original release.

You yourself say you "haven't touched the game since" so what are you accussing other people of?

Also, face it. The majority of sales is always at launch. If you screw your launch (and NMS magnificently failed) don't expect people to wait for you to fix your godforsaken game. People move on all the time.

Morkar Left

They did something in their PR art that I'll always remember and thought was brilliant when they designed the "box cover" in the style of classic dogeared science fiction paperbacks. Haven't really touched the game since that buggy initial release on PC where there was a major graphics caching issue that caused unacceptable stuttering but it looks like with so much more new content/features I should at least take another look at it. I don't really pay much attention to all the codex haters about NMS because half the time they seem on another wacky rant and haven't even checked out what the game is like now after it's troublesome original release.

You yourself say you "haven't touched the game since" so what are you accussing other people of?

Also, face it. The majority of sales is always at launch. If you screw your launch (and NMS magnificently failed) don't expect people to wait for you to fix your godforsaken game. People move on all the time.

NMS sold a shit ton of copies...

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yes. It sold a lot. On false promises and deception.

That caused lots of refunds, PS4 games resold to stores second hand, and lots of people who wanted to refund but couldn't.

I think NMS created so big a drama that Steam ignored their usual refund policy to expand it, didn't it?

This game was one of the fattest lies of the generation. Normally it shouldn't have attracted so much attention. It only hit big because of lies and broken promises.

It isn't a great start to trust that the game is fixed now. Why should I trust?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
NMS is a great litmus test for normie sensibilities. Anyone who followed the game and did not notice the total absence of gameplay before release (or afterwards, BAZINGA) is a normalfag and probably a R*dditor too.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Wasn't it a game by hipsters to hipsters too. Just look at that liar Sean Murray.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NMS is a great litmus test for normie sensibilities. Anyone who followed the game and did not notice the total absence of gameplay before release (or afterwards, BAZINGA) is a normalfag and probably a R*dditor too.

I didn't follow the game development and just started playing it recently. There is definitely gameplay to it, but not a lot of combat "depth" I suppose.

It doesn't seem like it has the story depth of a traditional rpg either, and I'm not sure what the ultimate plans for the game are, but you can certainly get 60 or 80 hours of gameplay in even if you skip most of the side quests and missions.

My overall impression is the game will never advance beyond what it is now. It's a shame, because there is potential there for a deeper rpg to be created on top of the system they have built.

From what I gathered on my limited reading of the dev team, they have this vision of the universe being a nice and friendly place, which doesn't align well to a deeper storyline or combat.

So, storyfags and combatfags will not enjoy this game.

If you enjoy the search and explore elements of adventure games it's worth a try though, just not at the $60 price tag.

ADL

Prophet
Procgen derelict space stations
incline.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Procedural generation is never incline. Never.

The only exception is procedural generation thoughtfully and sparingly implemented in proper old-school Roguelikes, but that too is a touchy topic these days, what with countless shitty indie developers using the term "Roguelike" to refer to a lack of actual level design and very little content stretched by constant progress resets (whereas a good actual Roguelike has tons of content).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Did this game ever go from "wildly over-hyped and not fun" to "fun even if not what was promised"? I stopped following during the first phase.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Did this game ever go from "wildly over-hyped and not fun" to "fun even if not what was promised"? I stopped following during the first phase.

From what I understand, they've improved the game dramatically. The very fact that they spent thousands of man-hours to improve it and persevered for several years is admirable, since most developers collapse into a quivering mass of tears and self-loathing at the first sign of any criticism and then abandon the project.

I'd like to say, by the way, that Internet Historian (to whose channel I've been subscribed for quite a while) changed my mind about Sean Murray—partly due to simply watching the included footage of Sean in various interviews and realizing on my own that he's really a hugely introverted, socially retarded dweeb thrust into the spotlight rather than a scheming liar and confidence man, and partly due to Historian's excellent and unbiased breakdown and analysis of the gaming "journalist"-fueled hype train.

More importantly though, after the game bombed, they actually hunkered down to continue working on it rather than abandoning it. Even if it's still not a game that some of us would consider worth playing, that means something. They could easily have taken the money and washed their hands of the whole debacle, but instead they did the honorable and commendable thing. Granted, it's easiier to do that thing when one has millions of dollars to cushion the blow of initial failure.

That said, is it worth playing? It's hard to say. I can definitely say that it's more worth playing than it was when it was released.

ADL

Prophet
It's easily become more than what was promised minus the dune worms because those weren't fun. We're probably up to No Man's Sky 2/3 after all the updates.

Procedural generation is never incline. Never.

The only exception is procedural generation thoughtfully and sparingly implemented in proper old-school Roguelikes, but that too is a touchy topic these days, what with countless shitty indie developers using the term "Roguelike" to refer to a lack of actual level design and very little content stretched by constant progress resets (whereas a good actual Roguelike has tons of content).

I have a Daggerfall avatar bro

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Procedural generation is incline in X-com like games though. The first nuXcom really suffered by not having it, same with Xenonauts.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's pretty decent now. It's still repetitive from time to time but it has a decent ammount of content now

Zeriel

Arcane

From what I understand, they've improved the game dramatically. The very fact that they spent thousands of man-hours to improve it and persevered for several years is admirable, since most developers collapse into a quivering mass of tears and self-loathing at the first sign of any criticism and then abandon the project.

I'd like to say, by the way, that Internet Historian (to whose channel I've been subscribed for quite a while) changed my mind about Sean Murray—partly due to simply watching the included footage of Sean in various interviews and realizing on my own that he's really a hugely introverted, socially retarded dweeb thrust into the spotlight rather than a scheming liar and confidence man, and partly due to Historian's excellent and unbiased breakdown and analysis of the gaming "journalist"-fueled hype train.

More importantly though, after the game bombed, they actually hunkered down to continue working on it rather than abandoning it. Even if it's still not a game that some of us would consider worth playing, that means something. They could easily have taken the money and washed their hands of the whole debacle, but instead they did the honorable and commendable thing. Granted, it's easiier to do that thing when one has millions of dollars to cushion the blow of initial failure.

That said, is it worth playing? It's hard to say. I can definitely say that it's more worth playing than it was when it was released.

My issue is that I don't find the core gameplay that fun. It seems like the kind of gameplay (Minecraft in space) that would have worked better as a fully multiplayer centric game from the beginning, rather than multiplayer being really diluted "there is other stuff happening out there" tweaks. I do respect what they've done, though. I just find whenever I try to play it again that I don't find the early hours very different from when it released, and I get uninterested before I get anywhere.

Psquit

Arcane
The updates are free. The problem is that the formula of "exploring" worlds is tedious. You go there, collect samples, upgrade, and continue. Now with all the updates you still do that but with more side distractions.

Perkel

Arcane
It is not even loop.
Every update they add some feature that is not explored at all.
So basically they add shallow puddles.

Good example of that is latest update. Abandoned plentary station are since 1.0 and they never expanded upon it. Either you find station which has closed door or open, inside is that glue, there is terminal which gives you stupid mini game and if you get to close to tentacle it hurts you.

Literally nothing. I full expect it will be the same thing with those derelicts. Planetary ones are all the same.

but wait, the abandoned bases have the awesome feature of holding you hostage of jumping up and down the roof in the desperate attempt to snatch some eggs, the most valuable most common loot, while not being eaten alive in three seconds by the aliens. so much fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom