Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MapMan, Dec 14, 2019.

1. MapMan Arcane

MapMan
    https://www.orithegame.com

Show Spoiler
    So the new one looks great:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The good news is that it will be available on Steam. Because Windows Store is cancer.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I would really love if it was on GOG too, like the first one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gibson Educated

Gibson
    they really didn't have to do much, since the first one looked dope af.
    being a platformer whore, i'll probably play it as soon as it makes sense (no major bugs etc.) :)

^ Top  
  5. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Too bad it's Windows 10 only. :decline:

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gibson Educated

Gibson

perhaps they'll port it to consoles which would make a ton of sense - platformers are really good on consoles. especially Switch is made for platformers.
    but as far as PC goes, what else is there besides Win10? Win7 support doesn't make sense, it's not worth the effort to support those 8 people using linux and Mac...well it's Mac, no other words are necessary.

^ Top  
  7. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex

• Hoo Hoo x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Seems they kept most of the assets and animations, only reskinned in some cases. I mean Ori 1 was a great game, the only modern platformer I bothered to finish, but I did expect something more.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Still Windows 10, too bad.

^ Top  
  10. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Wait a little for fix patches and the inevitable Enhanced Final Edition (TM) that will eventually be released, as having complete, bug-free games nowadays from day 0 is no longer possible.

^ Top  
  12. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Shh... I don't remember being uncritically pumped for something, let me enjoy the novelty.

^ Top  
  13. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Skipped Ori 1 because I read it didn't have combat. Skipping Ori 2 because it's a wangblows 10 exclusive.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    The what now? It's a platformer with enemies that you kill.

I never finished Ori, though I liked it. I am bad at platformers but Ori for some reason I was absolutely awful at. The firefly-like projectiles made it hard to be precise about dodging, for example. And then I got to the bit where you start walking on walls and ceilings and suddenly left is right, until you drop down and partway through the jump left is now up, and then left is left, and I could not git gud

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    My bad, was it the bosses that were all run-away-from gameplay?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Eh, the animations seem very similar, but quite visibly reworked.

Overall it's better to stay close to original, especially near-flawless, highly polished one, than to change things around for no reason.

^ Top  
  17. CyberModuled Learned

CyberModuled
    Yes, a DX11 only game is clearly going to be Win 10 only guys...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1057090/discussions/0/1747896471395119195/#c3540329465440545536

Also Ori 1 was fairly bug free on launch and considering the delays the sequel has gotten, I'd be surprised if it weren't the same. Only thing the Enhanced Edition even added was an extremely short extra area and the ability to go back in previous dungeons after their escape sequence (which considering how there are actual bosses in the game for the escape sequences, I doubt they'll lock off large chunks of the map this time).

^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Kind of. There aren't really "gragh big guy with special movesets now kill me" boss fights. There are escape sequences when twisted nature around you turns on you, and they're fun, I wouldn't call them bosses. Generally the game isn't really about the combat side of it, IMO. The strongest aspect of it is the atmosphere, which is fantastic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Based. I rescind my earlier statement and will put this back on my .txt

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    They kind of play the role of climactic boss battles, though I would say they are much better in that role than conventional bosses.
    There is only one creature you need to run from or hide/avoid, but this creature is really out of your league.

The combat is basic (at least with basic attack which is "stay in range and spam button"), but well integrated with rest of the mechanics - other moves are better and more fun than basic attack, they interact with enemies and projectiles in fun way and you need to use enemies and projectiles as valuable resource and indispensable platforming aid most of the time, especially once you gain bash.

It's one of the best games I've ever played and I don't even like the genre.

Two large (and eye watering gorgeous, though that's the norm in Ori) areas, a chunk of backstory, two optional abilities, spots where new abilities are required to unlock optional areas.

Still, it's not as if game doesn't stand on its own even before EE.

^ Top  
  21. taviow Magister

taviow
    I hope Will of the Wisps is better as a metroidvania. The first game was supposedly one but progression remained fairly linear all the way through (a bit less so in the DE, but still a bit weak in this sense).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Dodo1610 Cipher

Dodo1610
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Chase sequences aren't bad, but the lack of bosses in a metroidvania didn't feel right.

I want to overcome an enemy's unique ability with my guile and wit, and then strap it to my arm for the rest of the game.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    I finished Ori 1. Beautiful game, good music.
    SinceI Idon't play this kind of games, for me it was an extremely hard game, pure reflexes, however the abilities you gain access to make it easier. The final run from Kuro was the best, as it felt like a test using elements from previously in the game, plus the music.
    Can't wait for Ori 2. But after reading a preview a week ago or so I found out that they removed Soul Link, basically the ability to save anywhere, manually in exchange for 1 point of energy and replaced it with autosaves and checkpoints.
    There are little things in this world and in gaming that I hate more than autosaves.
    Reading some forums I found that players rejoiced at this change. Why? Because they often forgot to save after a tough section. Some called the Soul Link system "unique" and "unusual". It's just quicksaving but with a resource cost. Fucking console morons. The decline is here to stay.

• Rage Rage x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. taviow Magister

taviow
    I don't think people understand what they are rejoicing about, because no quicksaving at all could easily be a lot worse in terms of difficulty than it was before.

I hope they're ready to having to do entire platforming challenges without saving. People will probably cry about the game being too hard now that they can't quicksave anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)