Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
More proof that developers need to stop listening to gamers. We I don't know shit about game design.

No, they need to listen but they also need to think about the consequences of the features they add, most players can give great ideas but they're not programmers and most of them can't fathom the consequences of a seemingly harmless feature.

That's what good contemporary devs are able to do anyway.

garren

Arcane
Patron
The devs need to be knowledgeable enough to know who to listen to, if you leave important game design to be decided by the masses you're gonna get some shitty consensus and ultimately a bad result, best leave some minor flavor items for polls and shit so the average joe gets to feel special.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was, uhm... "voted on", I guess, by the backers (?) when PoE 1 was on Kickstarter. Everyone drops everything they carry for simulationist points. Kind of pointless if you ask me, and it creates actual, perceptible problems that could've been more under control than they are.

You have to be a special kind of sadomasochist to make a game on the Unity engine with a fuckton of enemies dropping their entire inventories on death.

They'd better include an official equivalent of the cleaner mod for Wrath, so that areas aren't littered with 150+ greatswords and studded leathers when you leave.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Piracy is wrong, but I have to admit I am surprised just how different WOTR from Kingmaker despite having the same gameplay. The changes in narrative, setting and visuals really make it feel like it's more than just Kingmaker 1.5. Though I am also sad that we might never get a the low-stakes story like in Kingmaker again. Instead, you get the traditional chosen one power fantasy that you expect from the genre.

Technomancer

Liturgist
low-stakes story like in Kingmaker again. Instead, you get the traditional chosen one power fantasy that you expect from the genre.
Low stakes? I wouldn't call the whole ending that. Your kingdom gets warped into another dimension and you challenge a god in direct combat, having at least 2 ways to become immortal right after or straight up elevated to demigod.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fighting a literal deity isn't exactly low stakes but I get what you mean. I too really dislike the whole demon-invasion focus of the game.

Dodo1610

Arcane
low-stakes story like in Kingmaker again. Instead, you get the traditional chosen one power fantasy that you expect from the genre.
Low stakes? I wouldn't call the whole ending that. Your kingdom gets warped into another dimension and you challenge a god in direct combat, having at least 2 ways to become immortal right after or straight up elevated to demigod.

Nope by fantasy RPG standards it's incredibly low-stakes.
The events of Kingmaker only affect one tiny corner of Golarion and at it's core it's just one bored powerful fey messing with people. If you fail nothing changes the lantern king's sick game just continues.
And after all you are just one random dude who only gets to rule the stolen land because he kills one bandit chief.

In WOTR you wake up with strange super human abilities and demons kill everybody. From the very beginning it's only about you and only you.

That's not a bad thing after all making the same game twice rarely works.
But it does make a generic CRPG plot while Kingmaker's was absolutley unique.

eli

Learned
it felt like the Morrowind MC but without the high stakes when it comes to the lore because you are fighting some god of jokes, but the fact that you were able to do something dozens failed made it seem epic.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Low stakes and high-level DnD don't mix at all. Still, Kingmaker's stakes were lower than Wrath's. One kingdom threatened by a single fey vs the entire plane threatened by an unstoppable demon horde. Perhaps their 3rd game will be based on one of the other adventure paths with similar villains.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The ruination of a woman’s honor is the highest of stakes. A civilization whose women are without honor is no longer a civilization at all.

Many such cases. We’re living it now.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nope by fantasy RPG standards it's incredibly low-stakes.
The events of Kingmaker only affect one tiny corner of Golarion and at it's core it's just one bored powerful fey messing with people. If you fail nothing changes the lantern king's sick game just continues.
And after all you are just one random dude who only gets to rule the stolen land because he kills one bandit chief.

In WOTR you wake up with strange super human abilities and demons kill everybody. From the very beginning it's only about you and only you.

That's not a bad thing after all making the same game twice rarely works.
But it does make a generic CRPG plot while Kingmaker's was absolutley unique.

KCD is low stakes, a combination of a personal and a local political conflict (You're just a resourceful, yet inexperienced, man at arms, your lords have a bunch of other equally competent men that could do the same tasks if required)

Kingmaker is definitely high stakes, you're ruling a kingdom and deciding the fates of thousands(if not millions) and defying the will of a demigod.

High stakes doesn't have to mean end of the world stuff.

The best solution would be to just stop dropping normal swords and armors. Who would pick that crap up? Stop giving every enemy drops based on their actual armor unless they're a boss or have actual important loot. And then of course they balance the economy around picking up every non-magical dagger so if you don't you can't afford anything nice. I don't want to see any lame swords. I can imagine it existing in my head and rationalize it not appearing because my hero isn't an idiot who picks up every piece of iron they see.

This is where games like Fallout and particularly Betrayal at Krondor succeeded. Not every merchant has endless bottlecaps. Different merchants also Inpay different prices depending on the goods, so you have reason to seek them out. Furthermore, in BaK, most of the weapons and armor you find are used to repair your own. Trying to carry more than a few suits of armor would also be a fools errand. Exploration is a big part of the game, so rations, torches, rope, shovel, medicine and more are much more important than trying to squeeze every coin out of every item you find.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The ruination of a woman’s honor is the highest of stakes. A civilization whose women are without honor is no longer a civilization at all.

Many such cases. We’re living it now.

Nyrissa works in HR in case you thought I was talking about sex. Just when you thought you could escape by opening your own business she’s now branched out into public health.

Just another Moth Disciplined and Punished by the Gaslight Lantern King.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
2 lacklustre lacking optimal depth combat systems instead of 1 good one. what a buy.

:cainapproves:

There are some encounters that I already think will be absolute garbage in TB but TBist will be TBist even tho they are playing with band aid slap gampelay mode.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shadenuat

Arcane
Maybe. But now it is fair to criticize game as TB game since it's all official and people will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom