Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Priests are almost mandatory, it's quite a lot tougher without one and you have to simulate some spells with scrolls.

Prime Junta

Priests are almost mandatory, it's quite a lot tougher without one and you have to simulate some spells with scrolls.

Lacrymas is exaggerating as usual. There are non-priest parties that are just about as powerful. It is true though that priests have the obvious counters for lots of things and you do have to dig deeper to find them elsewhere.

Hyperion

Arcane
The additional micromanagement of scribing, setting, and using scrolls isn't worth it. Just use a Priest.

My God were they gutted in Deadfire. Just use 5 multiclassed Chanters and laugh at the game.

Prime Junta

The additional micromanagement of scribing, setting, and using scrolls isn't worth it. Just use a Priest.

You only need scrolls for a handful of fights, and even then they’re not strictly mandatory.

But yeah P1 priests are hella stronk, just that “almost mandatory” is overstating the case.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It depends on what you mean by "some parties", a healthy mix of classes will notice the lack of priests, but something stupid like 6 chanters won't.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Priests are so powerful that they trivialise the combat if you are familiar with Infinity engine style games.

Quillon

Arcane
Priests are so powerful that they trivialise the combat if you are familiar with Infinity engine style games.

Which is proof that Sawyer's secretly not an atheist. We've all been lied to, our whole lives and many lives before that. True story.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I tried to play this when it first came out but lost interest when I arrived in the first(?) big city. Compared to Baldur's Gate or Athkatla the place was lifeless and seemed almost unfinished. Plus, the atmosphere from the first few hours seemed to disappear. Now I'm willing to give it a second chance. Any tips for a first playthrough? Any builds to avoid because they're too OP? I assume POTD is the way to go and I already know to ignore the NPCs added by the Kickstarter backers :)

PotD, don't use a priest, get ready for a great time.

Prime Junta

Hey guise, does this sound familiar at all?

Wotanism teaches that God dwells within the individual human spirit as an inner source of magical power, but is also immanent within nature through the primal laws which govern the cycles of growth, decay and renewal. List explicitly rejects a Mind-body dualism of spirit versus matter or of God over or against nature. Humanity is therefore one with the universe, which entails an obligation to live in accordance with nature. But the individual human ego does not seek to merge with the cosmos. "Man is a separate agent, necessary to the completion or perfection of ‘God’s work’".[15] Being immortal, the ego passes through successive reincarnations until it overcomes all obstacles to its purpose.

Ariosophism.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Prime Junta you found the vein of depths of Sawyer's spiritual ideology, which until now was sort of obscure. This is exactly the plot and cosmology of PoE, it is even more clear now. Sawyer intended everyone who played it to find their Aryan roots, then to discover Atlanto-Hyperborean origins.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Some mumbo jumbo from the start of the 20th century sounds like a mish-mash of Western and Eastern philosophy and religion? So unique!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Some mumbo jumbo from the start of the 20th century sounds like a mish-mash of Western and Eastern philosophy and religion? So unique!

It is not unique, it is exactly the ideology all proto-fascists and fascists in 19th and 20th centuries came up with. Which is what exactly confirms that Sawyer is an austrofascist, as he adopted the Austrian strain of it which combines Catholic Monarchist tradition and Aryan spirituality.

Prime Junta

Rymrgand though. Sawyer's vision of ultimately triumphant entropy and souls gradually being ground into dust seems a lot more pessimistic than the rightful Wotanist one. Where do you reckon this Judaising taint comes from?

Prime Junta

Some kind of Indian Buddhism?

The entropy thing isn't Buddhist, on the contrary, Buddhism teaches that shit will just keep on happening forever in ever-widening cycles -- eventually the universe itself will die, but then be reborn in a new cycle which will eventually get its own Buddha (the Maitreya). The only commonality is that both Rymrgandians and Buddhists believe that the only way out of the cycle is dissolution; the nature of the dissolution is quite different however -- for Rymrgandians it is final disintegration of the soul, for Buddhists it's enlightenment followed by death and nibbana.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yes, I've heard some stupid shit saying that we're on the Xth cycle of life, apparently there have been more universes before. But this is all left-meets-hindu BS, so whatever.

If I'm not mistaken that was also the basis of Exalted RPG? It was so long ago...

PsychoFox

Educated
Okay super codex bros. what am i doing wrong that has me not enjoy PoE? On the surface this game should be right up my alley but I'm just not feeling it. The combat feels very unsatisfying, the story for all its twists and turns is not gripping me, and the presentation is overall not holding on to me. Is it me or the is the game that's the problem? Normally i'd know right away, but i just can't put my finger on it with this game. All the elements for a great experience (and RPG) seem to be here, but still something intangible is missing. What is it?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Okay super codex bros. what am i doing wrong that has me not enjoy PoE? On the surface this game should be right up my alley but I'm just not feeling it. The combat feels very unsatisfying, the story for all its twists and turns is not gripping me, and the presentation is overall not holding on to me. Is it me or the is the game that's the problem? Normally i'd know right away, but i just can't put my finger on it with this game. All the elements for a great experience (and RPG) seem to be here, but still something intangible is missing. What is it?
I think the problem was people deeply involved with making the game who wanted to be doing other things. You can't help but notice the obvious passion put into something like Kingmaker, and Pillars of Eternity is on the other end of the spectrum.

Parabalus

Arcane

Are you playing on PotD? The combat is pointless on lower difficulties.

Try to stick out till White March (immediately after you get your stronghold), if that doesn't interest you drop the game, it won't get better.

PsychoFox

Educated
I think the problem was people deeply involved with making the game who wanted to be doing other things. You can't help but notice the obvious passion put into something like Kingmaker, and Pillars of Eternity is on the other end of the spectrum.
Yeah and it doesn't help that i'm actually playing this while waiting for some crippling bugs to be fixed with Pathfinder. The game is just... dull. Don't get me wrong, it's competent, but just not special.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom