Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I haven't read the books, and the scene felt quite strong enough to me. Also, didn't CDPR develop some of the characters as much if not more than the author ever did?

They certainly fleshed them out a bit , but author has an uncanny ability where he only needs a few lines to create characters that are lively and memorable. But yeah, there plenty of good quests with new characters that don't exist in the books.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Puteo

Learned
DOS1 and DOS2 are utter shit. Shows that "turn-based" doesn't automatically guarantee anything good.
Doesn't matter, they rule the casual kingdom while Owlcat rules the grognard grotto, leaving Obsidian and inXile as has-beens without a home (Harebrained [perhaps wisely] abandoned this triple-i space for turn-based "tactical" pastures).

Anyone remember the good old days when codex said that Turn-based was dead because it only appealed to old grognards and that we should just shut-up and join the POE kickstarter because it's the only incline we're going to get?

Fun times.

:positive:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone remember the good old days when codex said that Turn-based was dead because it only appealed to old grognards and that we should just shut-up and join the POE kickstarter because it's the only incline we're going to get?

Fun times.

? Project Eternity happened after Wasteland 2 (and Shadowrun).

Puteo

Learned

Fun times.

? Project Eternity happened after Wasteland 2 (and Shadowrun).

The fact that they were beloved franchises was the excuse given for them getting any funding, Pillars getting nearly double the funding while being a no-name franchise was cited as further proof that people liked RTwP better.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wasteland and Shadowrun "beloeved"? By who? Literally no one knows about this except us incels.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fact that they were beloved franchises was the excuse given for them getting any funding, Pillars getting nearly double the funding while being a no-name franchise was cited as further proof that people liked RTwP better.
? Fargo rode Fallout hard, Pillars may have been OC but it was also riding BG hard.

Most folks here were really giddy about turn-based winning the Torment poll.

2house2fly

Magister
No. They said it was "technically tied", so they went with turn-based because it was the option they endorsed.
I recall some controversy because they weighted the poll descriptions in favour of TB or something. Like
RTWP PROS:
It's OK I guess

RTWP CONS:
It kind of sucks

TURN BASED PROS:
It's really good

TURN BASED CONS:
None

If they wanted to make a turn based game they should have just made a turn based game instead of all this fif-faffing

Fairfax

Arcane
turn-based winning the Torment poll.

Didn't RTwP win but they made it turn-based anyway?
No. They said it was "technically tied", so they went with turn-based because it was the option they endorsed.

But factually RTwP won the poll, right? :P
No, final result was:
7,267 TB, 7,052 RTwP and 782 Indifferent.

I recall some controversy because they weighted the poll descriptions in favour of TB or something. Like
RTWP PROS:
It's OK I guess

RTWP CONS:
It kind of sucks

TURN BASED PROS:
It's really good

TURN BASED CONS:
None

If they wanted to make a turn based game they should have just made a turn based game instead of all this fif-faffing
Yes. These were the descriptions at first:
votejxqpe.png

It was pretty close and going back and forth, then they changed the descriptions:

Brother None said he was responsible for the poll and never changed it (a lie, as one can see above).

He also said it was a great for PR and "just a head count":

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
IMO Deadfire failed by marketing first and foremost, not much to do with the game's qualities.

It failed to be a good game.

Of cause you can make sales from crap games, Dragon age 2 or 3 is best example of it, but you need mass marketing and buying game "journalists".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
IMO Deadfire failed by marketing first and foremost, not much to do with the game's qualities.

It failed to be a good game.

Of cause you can make sales from crap games, Dragon age 2 or 3 is best example of it, but you need mass marketing and buying game "journalists".
Or a good first game,DA scams sold well because the first one is good and a lot of casual people loved it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If Owlcat can produce something so great on their first try, it’s extra disappointing that Obsidian—a studio I love—somehow dropped the ball not once, but twice.
Obsidian's adventures in the Forgotten Realms and the 3.5 ruleset gave us NWN2 and Storm of Zehir, so that ball was dropped more than twice.

also gave us motb tho

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's funny to think Obs only twice haven't dropped the ball. Maybe we were too ensorcelled by MotB and KotOR2 to notice this.

Obsidian got the benefit of the doubt because even when they failed, they used to do so in interesting ways and it was easy to see how their games could’ve been excellent. Alpha Protocol has awful gameplay, but you can see how it could’ve been quality popamole if they’d hired some designers who knew how to make a shooter. New Vegas would be unspeakably great in another engine. NWN OC had some redeeming qualities, although reasonable people differ as to what they are. Tyranny’s first act would’ve made a great demo.

POE and Deadfire are different. They have the right format and they’re not bad, but they’re flatly mediocre. Nothing about them is so great that it makes their flaws easier to forgive. I mean, Obsidian dropped the ball with KOTOR2, too, but there was enough amazing stuff in there that modders spent ten years fixing it. Better to release broken and remarkable games than bland mediocrities.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Obsidian got the benefit of the doubt because even when they failed, they used to do so in interesting ways and it was easy to see how their games could’ve been excellent. Alpha Protocol has awful gameplay, but you can see how it could’ve been quality popamole if they’d hired some designers who knew how to make a shooter. New Vegas would be unspeakably great in another engine. NWN OC had some redeeming qualities, although reasonable people differ as to what they are. Tyranny’s first act would’ve made a great demo.

POE and Deadfire are different. They have the right format and they’re not bad, but they’re flatly mediocre. Nothing about them is so great that it makes their flaws easier to forgive. I mean, Obsidian dropped the ball with KOTOR2, too, but there was enough amazing stuff in there that modders spent ten years fixing it. Better to release broken and remarkable games than bland mediocrities.

You know, I think this is what did it for me in the end regarding Obsidian. PoE was just mediocre. And that was supposed to be them at their best.

We know the truth now though. They did it because they had to.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

The biggest sin Obsidian commited with PoE, was attempting to create their own gameplay system instead of licencing DnD (any edition). Creating PnP gameplay systems from scratch is no fucking joke, and takes decades of experience to perfect. Attempting to do so while designing and coding a freaking video game based upon it is completely retarded. They were attempting to make a more video-gamey DnD system that resembled DnD but didn't have to pay royalties and failed miserably. In the end they just produced a DnD look-alike.

This was bad because a lot of writting, deleting, and writting again, took place while developing PoE (and even after release) and it showed. They wasted a lot of time and crowdfunding dollars on chasing a pipe dream instead of just licencing DnD (even 2nd edition would do fine) and focusing on making a better game.

Also, by licencing DnD, they would have enjoyed better marketing and recognition plus the game would be more accessible because DnD was more well known, while PoE's system had to be learned from scratch, only to realize that it was essentially "dnd but not dnd".

flyingjohn

Arcane
The biggest sin Obsidian commited with PoE, was attempting to create their own gameplay system instead of licencing DnD (any edition). Creating PnP gameplay systems from scratch is no fucking joke, and takes decades of experience to perfect. Attempting to do so while designing and coding a freaking video game based upon it is completely retarded. They were attempting to make a more video-gamey DnD system that resembled DnD but didn't have to pay royalties and failed miserably. In the end they just produced a DnD look-alike.
All that would do is give you a neutered "balanced" dnd system that would be even more boring to play then poe current system.Remember Sawyer hated the "unbalanced" dnd system and there is no way you could get him to just stick to the original system without modifications.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE's system has potential, the problem is encounter design, AI and a lot of abilities/spells being useless, forcing you to recycle the same tactic every time. Every party member playing like a MOBA character doesn't help. D&D has other problems.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are you talking in general or in #2? Because in White March I think the encounter design is downright stellar. Some of the best of any RPG ever, in fact.

I Deadfire, I have found it lacking, even if I don't think it's a universal problem (like you seem to do?). Just one example of a well-designed encounter is the swamp with four different druids of different seasons. I had to switch up tactics for that one.

Parabalus

Arcane
Are you talking in general or in #2? Because in White March I think the encounter design is downright stellar. Some of the best of any RPG ever, in fact.

I Deadfire, I have found it lacking, even if I don't think it's a universal problem (like you seem to do?). Just one example of a well-designed encounter is the swamp with four different druids of different seasons. I had to switch up tactics for that one.

I liked PoE, Dumpsterfire, and WM but calling it "some of the best of any RPG, ever" is a bit much.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
All that would do is give you a neutered "balanced" dnd system that would be even more boring to play then poe current system.Remember Sawyer hated the "unbalanced" dnd system and there is no way you could get him to just stick to the original system without modifications.

Yes. But they wouldn't waste so much time and effort on it. And they wouldn't disturb the balance of the game while it was out in the stores so much until they get it "balanced".

The thing is, Obsidian with PoE pulled a "Temple of Elemental Evil": They were so concerned with the battle system that the rest of the game was worse for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom