Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #62: Production Milestone Report - Areas, Characters, Features

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, they're not going to use the Storm of Zehir system? Are they insane? They get praise for finally working out a system that solves an age-old party RPG issue with a system that is solid as shit, and they won't reuse it?
Yeah, huh, i think i want a quote on that Infinitron/Roguey.

http://spring.me/GZiets/q/477333344988709487

Stats, sex, and race are all checked in dialogue, but not skills, as far as I know.

No reason that I can see not to check skills too since they will all have combat utility and no single one of them will be a "dialogue winner" skill.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

What Roguey said? You're not creating six identikit "generic adventurers" who would all say approximately the same things in a conversation minus individual skill and stat differences, so the SoZ system just isn't a very good fit.

Yeah, not using Storm of Zehir's system because it fixes glaring issues like "this is the PCs story" sure makes up for not being able to have my Cypher party member help my stupid fighter with a mental challenge or whatever.

Meh, it's no big deal, I just cannot fathom how they can make something so universally praised and just give up on it because the game is PC-focused.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, not using Storm of Zehir's system because it fixes glaring issues like "this is the PCs story" sure makes up for not being able to have my Cypher party member help my stupid fighter with a mental challenge or whatever.

He might be able to help, but it would be a scripted interjection

Rake

Arcane
Maybe your Cypher buddy will interject on his own? It just won't be your choice.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Meh, it's no big deal, I just cannot fathom how they can make something so universally praised and just give up on it because the game is PC-focused.
You're not going to make a stupid fighter because you need that INT defense and other things because attributes are balanced.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Maybe your Cypher buddy will interject on his own? It just won't be your choice.

I thought SoZ system was avoided because it would require to much work? Now you're telling me they will instead write unique dialogue interjections every single time an NPC can assist me?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've never played SoZ, what did that dialogue system looked like there?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

You're not going to make a stupid fighter because you need that INT defense and other things because attributes are balanced.
So attributes being balanced means you have to distribute points equally now?

wut

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought SoZ system was avoided because it would require to much work? Now you're telling me they will instead write unique dialogue interjections every single time an NPC can assist me?
Assuming that's the case, it would still be less work than tailoring every possible dialogue node to suit every companion's personality.

Plus, being a personal story, I imagine some dialogues would involve characters speaking to your character specifically. It'd be pretty strange if companions could answer for you in those cases.

I've never played SoZ, what did that dialogue system looked like there?
6igqxl.jpg

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't like the SoZ system either, kinda renders speech skills pointless when you have them all covered by party members, doesn't it?

Hormalakh

Magister
It's such bullcrap Out this whole "it's the pc's game, so only they should talk." Someone else called it schizophrenic and I tend to agree with them. We can control their inventory and how they expend their skill points, but nononono when it comes to dialogue, suddenly they are their own person.

There are more interesting ways to solve this problem. One way would be to ask your party members to talk in your stead. You could ask a certain party member to threaten/persuade or whatever in your stead. It could play out where you don't know exactly what they're going to say (a la obsidian's a other game AP) but you have an idea.

So many ways to bring in the other players into the convo, but nooooo they have to gimp it. Kind of getting tired of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
One way would be to ask your party members to talk in your stead. You could ask a certain party member to threaten/persuade or whatever in your stead. It could play out where you don't know exactly what they're going to say (a la obsidian's a other game AP) but you have an idea.

So many ways to bring in the other players into the convo, but nooooo they have to gimp it. Kind of getting tired of it.

Ie, player-initiated scripted interjections, like in PS:T. What's the difference? Who says PE won't have these?

I don't like the SoZ system either, kinda renders speech skills pointless when you have them all covered by party members, doesn't it?

That's just a question of game balance. What if they can't be covered?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No. More skills covered = more active choice

It's only pointless if the game uses the shit design for skill checks that makes them I WIN buttons, because then it doesn't matter which one you pick anyway.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
unhhh can we stop using Icewind Dale as our baseline

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
No. More skills covered = more active choice

so not the case in any absolute way. locking some dialogue options behind checks doesn't make a game more choozee or more reactive. it makes one playthrough differ more from another, sure, but only in a way the player doesn't usually even get to know about. one of my favorite game design moments in New Vegas was actually the goofy "YOU CAN'T USE THIS CHOICE" stat-too-low dialogue options.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom