Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This whole thing is such a fascinating clusterfuck that should be studied in business classes for years to come. Valve has messed up lots in the past, but they've never misread their user base this monumentally and with such swift blow back.

I suspect they will learn the wrong lessons from this, though. DOTA 2's and TF2's fan made items are already accepted by the community and this whole ordeal demonstrates that some of the bigger publishers clearly want in on that revenue stream. So their biggest mistake was doing it with an existing game and calling it "modding." Expect Valve to debut a rebranded version of this with new games in the future based more on the DOTA 2 model, where fans can make money off of easily swappable stuff like skins and weapons. Especially if developers design the market into the game from the ground up, implementing Valve's tried and true skinner box model of selling people stuff by giving them ostensibly "free" item drops as a hook.

As long as they call it an "item market" rather than "modding" and act as if it's a new feature rather than just monetizing practices that were formerly free, people will probably eat it up.

TedNugent

Arcane
The funny thing is all they'd have to do to make "paid" mods is to remove the restrictions from the ToUs that prevent modders from selling their mods. All of a sudden, donations.

But they don't want paid mods. What they want is to GET PAID. And the best way to do that is to control the distribution platform and the platform margins ( LOL @ 75-25 profit)

mastroego

Arcane
Well if there's a lesson here is that [the idea of] money can get to people's heads.

Modders start to believe they're superstars and real-world celebrities.
Bethesda starts to believe it can sell games even if the hundreds of fixes they need become separate premium products.
Valve starts to believe they can just ask for money and get it.

[insert the brilliant video from a few pages back]
Turns out, the moronic masses aren't quite that far gone, yet.
Maybe (probably?) next time.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It went from -1 Faith to zero, which technically means it restored it.

trainwiz said:
tumblr_nnel69qKAS1rbmp18o2_500.jpg

tumblr_nnel69qKAS1rbmp18o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nnel69qKAS1rbmp18o3_500.jpg

Shingeki no Gaben?

edit: http://trainwiz.tumblr.com/post/117060889824/i-see-anyway-theyve-prepared-a-trollpack-or

I see. Anyway, they've prepared a "trollpack", or "prankpack", if you will, a modpack intended to piss the player off. They've done things like jack up merchant prices to ridiculousness, slowed leveling to an utter crawl, included Morrowloot without calling it Morrowloot, and, most dastardly of all, given skeletons their old Daggerfall screams. It's supposed to get released on a torrent site something pretty soon. Hopefully some funny shit happens afterward.

:lol:

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Destroid

Arcane
This whole thing is such a fascinating clusterfuck that should be studied in business classes for years to come. Valve has messed up lots in the past, but they've never misread their user base this monumentally and with such swift blow back.

I suspect they will learn the wrong lessons from this, though. DOTA 2's and TF2's fan made items are already accepted by the community and this whole ordeal demonstrates that some of the bigger publishers clearly want in on that revenue stream. So their biggest mistake was doing it with an existing game and calling it "modding." Expect Valve to debut a rebranded version of this with new games in the future based more on the DOTA 2 model, where fans can make money off of easily swappable stuff like skins and weapons. Especially if developers design the market into the game from the ground up, implementing Valve's tried and true skinner box model of selling people stuff by giving them ostensibly "free" item drops as a hook.

As long as they call it an "item market" rather than "modding" and act as if it's a new feature rather than just monetizing practices that were formerly free, people will probably eat it up.

Personally I've never viewed things such as new models/skins etc as mods. You have to change the gameplay.

DraQ

Arcane
so basically, shitty modders wanted to make a quick buck (hipsters...), real modders were against this practice. What a surprise...

:popamole:
"real modders" oh man, that's a good one. Almost spit coffee all over the place.
Bruthurt detected.
I thought you blocked me? Someone's butthurt alright.
I did, but why do you feel entitled to not being read by me now?

I shitlisted you to avoid being subjected to your ceaseless drivel, not to isolate myself from the amusement your butthurt might provide - the latter is just one click away.
:smug:

Bruticis

so basically, shitty modders wanted to make a quick buck (hipsters...), real modders were against this practice. What a surprise...

"real modders" oh man, that's a good one. Almost spit coffee all over the place.
Bruthurt detected.

I shitlisted you to avoid being subjected to your ceaseless drivel, not to isolate myself from the amusement your butthurt might provide - the latter is just one click away.
So double butt hurt?

DraQ

Arcane

Bruthurt detected.

So double butt hurt?
Do a funny.

Bruticis

Bruthurt detected.

So double butt hurt?
Do a funny.
I don't think this ignore thing is working the way it's intended.

A user named cat

Dude does a 15 minute rant stating how catastrophic this entire debacle was, and then his suggested alternatives towards the end were.... variations of paid mod systems. The very thing he was seemingly against for the majority of his rant. What a douche.

There are no superior or ethical alternatives to what Valve and Todd's Rainbow Gang tried to pull. There is only one single solution and it's what we've always had for mostly every PC game -- free fucking mods. Leave it alone.

ARMA 3 is next. Devs announced it like half a year ago. It's maybe the reason why they were forced to launch only through Steam. But it is debatable in this case-community does some high quality mods/units/total conversions/whatever and some of them change the whole gameplay (and fix the fuckin game). And devs kind of made community produce high quality mods with their incentive "Make Arma Not War". They also said to be preparing DLC with best community mods. So paid mods are coming, hopefully with donate button instead of buy. Can't decide if incline or decline in this case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom