Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-based combat mode in Deadfire

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
most of the text is missing, but it's in game.

Tw1Uj9h.jpg
My old friend, Missing String. They should make a character with that name as an Easter egg.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So let me get this straight, the TB combat system was included in the game data and somebody is working on making a mod out of it?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The changes:

• There's a new attribute called Initiative that replaces recovery speed
  • Every character acts once per round in order of highest initiative. There's no RNG.
  • Characters have one offensive action, one defensive action, and one movement action per turn
  • Stride now determines total movement points
  • Heavy armor lowers initiative and stride
  • Action speed is calculated by intervals and not seconds

jf8350143

Liturgist
If this turns out to be real, I'll pre-order the next three games Obisidian made with season pass, whatever the games are. Even it's a multiplayer only online game where you have to play as Todd Howard playing Fallout 76.

Also Kingmaker is the game that really needs a turn based mod.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Obsidian only did this because consoels, hence the console release delay, to fully implement it. How does it feel to get a feature like turn based combat just because it means more sales on consoles? Codex is not a learning animal, especially when it comes to their fetish developers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why would anyone get excited about this. Deadfire was designed as a RTWP game, turning it into turn based will only result in terrible gameplay. Arcanum's combat suffered from allowing TB and real-time, and that game was designed that way from the very beginning. I can't even imagine the monstrosity which will result from this change.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't know why would anyone get excited about this. Deadfire was designed as a RTWP game, turning it into turn based will only result in terrible gameplay. Arcanum's combat suffered from allowing TB and real-time, and that game was designed that way from the very beginning. I can't even imagine the monstrosity which will result from this change.
True, the number of encounters and enemies in deadfire is not conductive to a fun TB experience. Unless the rebalance every map/encounter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Given that it doesn't have hordes and hordes of combat, I dunno, I think it can turn out all right.

2house2fly

Magister
Obsidian only did this because consoels, hence the console release delay, to fully implement it. How does it feel to get a feature like turn based combat just because it means more sales on consoles? Codex is not a learning animal, especially when it comes to their fetish developers.
if it's good then why does it matter why they did it?

Seethe

Arbiter

Real time sucks in PoE 2 with the clusterfuck that happens as soon as you unpause for 2 seconds.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Characters have one offensive action, one defensive action, and one movement action per turn

Small correction: The new turn-based combat system uses action points.

wYeCER5.png

pGetLH0.png
DLLmCdq.png

A full diamond represents a standard action, half diamond secondary actions, and circles are free actions.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I'm guessing Dexterity will control AP, but I'm not sure it would mesh nicely with an Initiative attribute. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm guessing Dexterity will control AP, but I'm not sure it would mesh nicely with an Initiative attribute. Thoughts?
Dex influencing AP is fine. Initiative should just be a dice roll or determined by the encounter (e.g. if you get ambushed, all the enemies get to move first).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Deterministic initiative systems are better than RNG, especially in Deadfire's case.

It allows you to formulate strategies around initiative, instead of leaving it up to chance.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Considering everyone plays PoE games by mashing spacebar every 0.1 seconds, I think going turn-based will make fighting hordes of mobs faster if anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom