Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Sheepherder

Augur
There's a guard standing right outside the Mushroom Cove. I'd think he'd be able to see if Mordre is getting clobbered by someone. If you want to assassinate someone without a faction getting all pissy, use fart grenades and caltrops.

Metronome

Learned
Instead what you did was:
1) Read on wiki that Mordre is the murdered -> killed Mordre from behind

You are correct, killing Mordre should not alert all SGS but, at the same time, you don't get my sympathy vote.
I went through the trouble to do it legitimately which is why I am upset it's illogical. I did everything but find the needle. I figured out it was him from matching his name in the morgue to the roster in Core City. It was obviously him getting revenge on Patrick for killing his friends. I then reported it to the brother in the cantina. He rejected me so I went to Mordre and said he was the murderer. He denied it so I killed him. I assumed he had something I needed to pickpocket, like the murder weapon I couldn't figure out. I didn't invest in pickpocketing so that's why I killed him. He could also get away if he suspects he is being tracked (as he does).

But all along I just didn't check the inventory on the computer, which is a dumb requisite for completing the quest. Me killing Mordre and discovering how the game handles it was a consequence of that.

Still, the Mushroom Cove is a partially controlled zone, and assassination isn't possible against a member of the controlling faction such as Mordre.
There's a guard standing right outside the Mushroom Cove. I'd think he'd be able to see if Mordre is getting clobbered by someone. If you want to assassinate someone without a faction getting all pissy, use fart grenades and caltrops.
I double checked before killing him. The zone of Mushroom Cove in question is completely uncontrolled. Also the guard has to witness the crime in the zone itself like anyone else. Even if he is not following the game rules and can see past area-breaks, he does not have a line of sight to Mordre where you kill him. If we're really LARPing, all the guard would hear is a dull thud as I killed Mordre in one hit. I could have easily passed it off as killing one of the cavehoppers running around.

For a non-essential character who is just involved in this one quest, I don't think the developers were being scummy. It seems more like an oversight than anything. Just let me kill the guy like the HUD indicates I am allowed to. Or at least set it up in such a way Mordre can brag about his diplomatic immunity and it makes sense. Don't put him in the middle of nowhere where nobody can hear you scream, and then punish me for doing what makes sense in the situation.

The game is inconsistent with when murder is/isn't allowed in general. There are supposed to be lawless areas where you can get away with anything, but sometimes it follows Oblivion-style "I witnessed myself being murdered" rules to report your actions anyway. Meanwhile some heavily guarded areas like the foundry prison or the Mansion let you get away with it if you kill all witnesses. IMO every area should follow these witness rules unless it's right in the middle of town or something.

That said, regarding Tanner: he could and would warn Mordre (or dispose of him) if it benefitted him.
That's true, though I would like to ask him about what happened.

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
Why the rails in UnderRails feel wrong?

4Srke5k.png

EZKqKqW.png
yeahhh, really amateur work.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Does Styg ever sees Styg doing anything else except MOAR! Underrail? That question has been puzzling me for more than a year. Iron Tower already work full steam on their sci-fi franchise, how's Styg's new franchise gonna look like? We can only fantasize...

Railways + mushroom magic = Styg's WW1 Arcanum?!

hell bovine

Arcane
Does Styg ever sees Styg doing anything else except MOAR! Underrail? That question has been puzzling me for more than a year. Iron Tower already work full steam on their sci-fi franchise, how's Styg's new franchise gonna look like? We can only fantasize...
Well, I wouldn't mind more "technology & magic" pirate adventures. Though they should come up with a way to make the ships mobile.

just

Liturgist

Railways + mushroom magic = Styg's WW1 Arcanum?!
we'll see around 2027

Candide

Educated
I've never completed a run as a cave wizard but seeing that PSI is going to get the Quick Tinkering treatment maybe I should experience it in its full glory while I can. What are some fun PSI builds I should try? Especially the OP stuff that is most likely to get nerfed?

Black Angel

Arcane
What are some fun PSI builds I should try?
I once played a stealthy PSI whose main focus was Thought Control, half that investment into Psychokinesis, and zero investment into Metathermics. It was fun, turning an entire encounter upon itself with Locus of Control -> Enrage.

Now I'm playing a full-PSI-stealth, with full investment into ALL psi schools including Temporal Manipulation, and it's double the fun.

Especially the OP stuff that is most likely to get nerfed?
Locus of Control. Probably.

Sykar

Arcane
What are some fun PSI builds I should try?
I once played a stealthy PSI whose main focus was Thought Control, half that investment into Psychokinesis, and zero investment into Metathermics. It was fun, turning an entire encounter upon itself with Locus of Control -> Enrage.

Now I'm playing a full-PSI-stealth, with full investment into ALL psi schools including Temporal Manipulation, and it's double the fun.

Especially the OP stuff that is most likely to get nerfed?
Locus of Control. Probably.

I do stealth tranquility full PSI though TM is a bit behind the other schools. Prefer it over Psychosis though I admit gettin 2k crit Neural Overload on LoC is fun too.

Black Angel

Arcane
I do stealth tranquility full PSI though TM is a bit behind the other schools. Prefer it over Psychosis though I admit gettin 2k crit Neural Overload on LoC is fun too.
Temporal Distortion is crucial when fighting against bulky enemies which also happened to be immune against Thought Control with high mechanical and elemental damage resistance such as industrial bots and those nagas in the Black Sea. Hell, it's VERY useful against turrets because you can just stack em and retreat upon exhausting AP. Though I've only use it in situations where I'm facing a 1v1 encounter, so I've never tried stacking TD while fighting against groups.
Psycho-temporal contraction is VERY useful, it's basically a free adrenaline shot without the drawback, can even be further enhanced with feats and specialization. So does Limited Temporal Increment, though it's rather situational based on what abilities/consumables you want to use immediately that also happened to have 1 turn cooldown remaining.
Stasis is also rather situational, but I find it synergize well with Temporal Distortion. Would report back what devastation I can inflict upon Tchort with it.
But yeah, other than those TM is rather situational and act more like supportive abilities. It also has literally 0 synergy with Psychosis because their only offensive ability is TD and even that can't crit. Even this feat https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Continuum_Ripple seemed underwhelming. Only one occurrence per status effect/stack with already nerfed chance from initial release means it's not very useful 'time bomb'.

I haven't tried Psychosis. Maybe one day when I get into playing non-stealth, heavily armored tanky battlemage.

Sykar

Arcane
En-tropic Recurrence deals a lot of damage even when you are not maxed TM. It synergizes very well with Tranquility and hybrid builds. Not that great for Psychosis agreed though still worth at least 70 just for buffs and Stasis.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
It also has literally 0 synergy with Psychosis

TM is just op, to the point of every char build being better with 70 skill than without.

Even Pyschosis, which has very negative effects on TM (but you pop the PSI pill 'for free'), is much stronger with then without TM.

Black Angel

Arcane
En-tropic Recurrence deals a lot of damage even when you are not maxed TM. It synergizes very well with Tranquility and hybrid builds. Not that great for Psychosis agreed though still worth at least 70 just for buffs and Stasis.
Huh, at first I ignored it because I can't wrap my head around the math, due to not understanding what 'last unit' really means. The wiki worded it in such a way that it actually means 'last damage dealt prior to Entropic Recurrence being cast', and having experimented it just now the wiki is true. I guess it's basically PSI poison/DOT.

TM is just op, to the point of every char build being better with 70 skill than without.

Even Pyschosis, which has very negative effects on TM (but you pop the PSI pill 'for free'), is much stronger with then without TM.
Right. And with the feats + spec with the exception of Continuum Ripple, it can be even more crazy.

TM is the new crafting, it seems.

Sykar

Arcane
Huh, at first I ignored it because I can't wrap my head around the math, due to not understanding what 'last unit' really means. The wiki worded it in such a way that it actually means 'last damage dealt prior to Entropic Recurrence being cast', and having experimented it just now the wiki is true. I guess it's basically PSI poison/DOT.

Right. And with the feats + spec with the exception of Continuum Ripple, it can be even more crazy.

TM is the new crafting, it seems.

It works best on high HP targets with Implosion used first. The damage is quite insane. The damage does break most CC except for stuns, slows and roots. Disorient and frozen are broken though.

hell bovine

Arcane
My current psi clocked a 6k+ neural overload critical on Mr. Tentacles. But that was with mental breakdown. Though it's possible to stack the numbers even higher, since this character didn't have empowered tc (didn't level up high enough) and forgot to eat the pickled mindshrooms saved for the occassion (+40% critical damage). Also, I wasted his specialization points on critical chance instead of critical damage, which in retrospect wasn't as useful.

Sykar

Arcane
My current psi clocked a 6k+ neural overload critical on Mr. Tentacles. But that was with mental breakdown. Though it's possible to stack the numbers even higher, since this character didn't have empowered tc (didn't level up high enough) and forgot to eat the pickled mindshrooms saved for the occassion (+40% critical damage). Also, I wasted his specialization points on critical chance instead of critical damage, which in retrospect wasn't as useful.

Well yeah but that is single target. Wiping out a group of organic brains is quite a bit more satisfying imho. And it is dirt cheap.

Black Angel

Arcane
Just fucking murdered the Dajjal by stacking... dunno, 20 staccs? Maybe less but definitely close to that, of Temporal Distortion.
7F0AXzE.jpg

SqViktb.jpg
As you can see, need a psi headband with TD neuroscope and muffler to increase TD damage and reduce TM psi cost to effectively pull it off.

What I did:
  1. Start with stealth. Carefully approach a spot right before Tchort's true sight detect me. Though in hindsight, could probably drink Root Soda before going down the ladder, *if* the Mouth's monologue didn't waste it first.
  2. Initiate combat, then Premeditate + LoC -> Enrage to distract the tentacles
  3. Cast an Electrokinetic Imprint right in front of me to get rid of the Mouth. Could be probably skip right to the next step
  4. Rush right to the tile in front of Tchort, then cast Force Field to prevent the psionic tentacle to mess with me any further because it's immune to Enrage and TC's status effect in general
  5. Inject adrenaline shot + psycho-temporal acceleration, psi booster when needed, then start stacking TD
  6. End turn, and when TD only got 1 turn left put Tchort in Stasis to further stack TD on him
  7. It was a close call because after Force Field is down and adrenaline expires, there's a chance I could get fucked by the tentacles before I can pull it off, but luckily after nearly 20 stacks I got to watch some fireworks.
With this one I solved the mutagen puzzle and inject it to them, eliminating 4 out of 7 tentacles. But I still need to distract non-psionic tentacles with Enrage. Tried to do it while there's all of the tentacles but found I'll die or lose too much health before I could hide myself behind Force Field. And even then, they would probably rape me if I didn't solve the mutagen puzzle before I finished stacking TD/before the stacks expires.
Also, I skipped trying to destroy the mutagen tanks just to see if I could pull it off. And pulled it off, I did.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will be making an SMG/Throwing Special Forces build. Should be pretty standard tbh. I want to try incorporating throwing knives, but I have a hard time imaging that it'll be more efficient/effective than just using single shots to finish off low health enemies. Anyone have any tips or ideas for dominating?

Sheepherder

Augur
I will be making an SMG/Throwing Special Forces build. Should be pretty standard tbh. I want to try incorporating throwing knives, but I have a hard time imaging that it'll be more efficient/effective than just using single shots to finish off low health enemies. Anyone have any tips or ideas for dominating?
I'm playing a char with 5mm smg 8AP bursts build with fatal throw. I haven't gotten to fatal throw yet, but the idea is that in the endgame at 18 dex a knife trow costs 10 AP and a kill refreshes 18 AP +9 AP from spec. So I'd get 2 extra bursts from a single knife kill, once per turn. Plus another 9 AP from commando spec.
So with haste and native cocaine I get 121 effective AP plus a free burst from commando. That's around 14 bursts and 126 bullets at 9 bullets per burst.
Fatal throw is only good at high dex and I don't yet know how often it'll actually be useful in combat.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing a char with 5mm smg 8AP bursts build with fatal throw. I haven't gotten to fatal throw yet, but the idea is that in the endgame at 18 dex a knife trow costs 10 AP and a kill refreshes 18 AP +9 AP from spec. So I'd get 2 extra bursts from a single knife kill, once per turn. Plus another 9 AP from commando spec.
So with haste and native cocaine I get 121 effective AP plus a free burst from commando. That's around 14 bursts and 126 bullets at 9 bullets per burst.
Fatal throw is only good at high dex and I don't yet know how often it'll actually be useful in combat.
Ah, very interesting. I don't think I've really played a super high Dex build so I didn't realize that the burst would get so low. LMK how it plays out, as I have some time before I have to commit one way or the other.

Black Angel

Arcane
ItsChon http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hg4...LClcKvwoLCqsKrS8K2fHnisKQF4rOiA-K3iQLit6YF378 what do you think?

I'm thinking maybe Survival Instinct can be replaced with Last Stand instead. Or if I can shift two points from CON down to 7, raise my INT to 6 to get Armor Sloping instead, and the other extra point to STR, would that be good? I'm also thinking of replacing Decommissioner with Monster Slayer instead for final boss fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom