Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News We Stripped Stuff Because Origins "Was Busted"

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Aug 5, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Feel free to <a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/315/index/7992640&amp;lf=8" target="_blank">check out the Bioforums </a>where Mike Laidlaw explains that stripping stuff from DA:O was the right thing to do. They listen a lot to fan feedback though.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>I've said it before, and I will say it again: we stripped some stuff out of DA becuase it was busted. Other stuff was simply a design choice, and some of it was circumstance. There is no way you guys could know exactly what falls on what side of that triangle, and as devs we are not always able to be crystal clear on that kind of thing, especially immediately after a controversial game launch when the community was so far out for blood that they took my suggestion that setting a game that was too easy to a higher difficulty might be a good call was some sort of gigantic, egotistical middle finger to the entire fanbase. That was not a time for reasonable discussion, clearly.<br /><br />Now is the time. And I'm still <span style="font-style: italic;">very</span> interested to hear what you folks have to say (unless it is a demand for gameplay videos <span style="font-style: italic;">before</span> we announce anything, that is. ;) ), and we are still working on the formula. If I'm going to piss you guys off, it's going to be because I still firmly believe that RPGs do need to be more accessible to new players. Not dumbed down, not "consolized" (whatever that means. There are insanely complex games on the console), not diminished, but made less imposing and less terrifying to new players. In part because I want more people to play Dragon Age, and in part because there have been a lot of improvements in gameplay and UI&nbsp;design in the past 15 years, and we can learn from them.<br /><br />So on that point, I'm sure we can all agree to disagree, so long as the end product is more choice-driven, offers more "twiddle" to the player's experience in terms of equipment, offers satisfying, constructed encounters and a deep story. DAII&nbsp;clearly didn't deliver on all fronts for you guys. For some it did, but I'm truly, deeply cognizant of the parts that are weak, and while we're not going to agree on everything, there's a game out there that's better than both Origins and DAII, and I'll be damned if the talented folks of the DA team can't find it.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Please remember to be cautious on the BioForums, lest your games get disabled.</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104158-mike-laidlaw-we-stripped-some-stuff-because-origins-qwas-bustedq.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Give me busted over accessible any day.

^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    [​IMG]

That's quite a small list of changes required to undertake the DMC, Mr. LaidLawesome. :lol:

"BUT IT'S NOT, SO IT'S NOT!" - THE NEW BIOWARE MOTO!

Imagine if Bioware had made Doom....

[​IMG]

:yeah:

^ Top  
  4. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    Re: Mike Laidlaw: We Stripped Stuff Because Origins

a) "consolized" and "dumbed down" means "more accessible" to you

b) insanely complex like Madden amirite?

^ Top  
  5. Elzair Cipher

Elzair
    Racofer, you definitely win the Post of the Day prize. Where the hell did you get that GIF anyway?

^ Top  
  6. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    I'm the Wyrmlord equivalent for GIFs.

^ Top  
  7. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Could somebody explain to me what "busted" means in this context? My small non-native-speaking mind cannot apply any sensible meaning.

Otherwise: He's finally full enough with BS to start at Bethesda. Next stop: politics.

^ Top  
  8. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Don't really know either. My guess is: overloaded or something. Loaded with so much details and complexities and whatnot that it boggled the mind of the less fortunate, one.handed, otherwise crippled.

^ Top  
  9. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Maybe those game mechanics are no longer used/accepted by Farmville players. DA was just too old-school for the majority of people and it had to change, because change is good.

You know, it's not everybody who is fond of turn based mechanics.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/27085396
    :M

^ Top  
  10. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    You may think that, foolish child, BUT IT'S NOT, SO IT'S NOT! :obviously:

^ Top  
  11. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    Oh wow.

^ Top  
  12. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I've ran your question through my superb, potato-powered brain and concluded that in this particular context it's an equivalent of dropping one's jaw, crossing one's eyes and saying "derp" in a slurred voice.

^ Top  
  13. Black Arcane

Black
    Yeah, sounds like something bioware would say.

^ Top  
  14. Kaanyrvhok Arbiter

Kaanyrvhok
    They took a busted game and dumbed it down so it was busted and dumb.

They should hire a female crackhead as their lead designer for DA 3. Then they can have a broke busted, dumb, crackhead bitch of a game and that beats busted.

^ Top  
  15. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    What a bunch of assholes.

^ Top  
  16. 20 Eyes Liturgist

20 Eyes

What's funny is how the Bioware staff mocked the Codex because the general consensus over here was that DA2, before it's release, was sounding like an inferior game compared to the original (which itself isn't exactly lauded on the Codex). Now they've realized they made a shitty game but don't seem willing to change anything that made it so awful.

Take a quick glace at the gaming bargain bin at any retailer and you'll find a better game than either Dragon Age (especially the second one). I doubt the talent on the DA team is capable of making anything memorable.

^ Top  
  17. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Funny you should mention that. Dragon Age 2 is in my local game bargain bin. I can buy it for 149 kronor. But I picked up the newest Alone in the Dark game instead for 49 kronor. It's a much better game, I'm not even kidding.

^ Top  
  18. Raghar Arcane

Raghar

I heard nice stuff about Anders in DA:awakening. It was on presentation about gays in computer games. They said they completely screwed him in DA2, from memorable character, doesn't matter how many problems were with his writing, to completely bland stuff. They also shown an example of mutilation of characters by new faces.

They can make memorable stuff by an accident, but they can't do that consistently.

^ Top  
  19. Regdar Cipher

Regdar
    I know absolutely nothing about Laidlaw except that he comes off as an arrogant, self-righteous prick. Based on the way he talks, however, I'm willing to bet you a large sum of money that this toolbag sold used cars or fax machines or those things you see on telemarketing at some point in his life. He wasn't actively searching for a career in video games, but then the opportunity presented itself and he thought "what the hell, it beats my old job/being unemployed" and through rigorous bootlicking and sexual favors for male superiors, got to where he is now.

Must be nice having his job, though. You take zero part in the development process because you have no clue about video games, then when the game is released you procrastinate for months before posting some unbelievable bullshit which - even more unbelievably - calms every biofaggot and restores public trust in your shitty company.

How come Codex is the only place where people see past this bullshit?

^ Top  
  20. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    I suppose we're special.

Anders was one of the few characters in DA2 I actually tolerated, mostly because to me he was the real main character and Hawke was just the camera man.

^ Top  
  21. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    That one hurt.

^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I'm partly a console player, but I yet have to find that insanely complex game. Could you give mi a hint, Mike?

Deeply in my heart, I was hoping that Bioware will learn from their mistake, and make DA3 a good RPG. It is clear to me know, that they are happy about how DA2 turned out, and they will fuck up the third game. Please Bioware, just remove every RPG element, and make a pure action game. I know that is what you want to do, and at least we don't have to argue about the game being an RPG or not.

^ Top  
  23. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    My brain, yes.

^ Top  
  24. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Looking at his credits the earliest mention is on "special thanks" in Hoards of the Underdark, he is listed as one of the Lead Writers of Jade Empire so I suspect he was hired for the Jade Empire and then moved to the Dragon Age team ... but how the fuck he managed to became "Dragon Age Franchise Lead Designer" is beyond me, considering positions like that is very much EA ... and considering the corporate model of EA ...

^ Top  
  25. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    GIVE ME MY STONE!

I DON'T HAVE YOUR STONE AND FUCK YOU ANYWAY!

Its a more interesting exchange than everything in DA2.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)