Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Potato has arrived!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing is, the Codex has traditionally disdained custom avatars. The only reason for their current proliferation is the fact that moving to xenforo fucked the old galleries hard and it was a choice between custom and no avatars at all.

Aren't most moderators and admins here using custom avatars though? Why do they get to keep their custom avatars while the common folk have to settle for the gallery?
Anyone who had a custom avatar at the time of the gallery's return gets to keep it for now (see for example my sexy cap) - we're just unable to change it for anything else but a gallery approved avatar. Presumably the rest of the customs will be purged when the gallery is 100% operational / DU's micropayments scheme potato exchange idea is implemented. If the mods get to keep thers even after that I can't tell. Hopefully not.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Who gives a shit...really.

If you have a custom, keep it. If you don't, sucks to be you.

If you want a custom, spending your Potato on it is a good ideA (In a forever sort of way, not temp).

If you want to change it again, more potato from you.

I'd probably purchase 1 if it was a forever kind of deal (unless I wanted to change it again..then more potato)

Or you know, just sign at the bottom so everyone knows who you are despite the avatar.

Right, Bee?

Zep--

-Bee

Zep--

~Qwinn

:)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As a matter of fact, DarkUnderlord, once the custom avatar option is available, will all of us with pre-incline custom-made ones be able to keep them or will we be forcibly purged ?
They will be forcibly purged. Once the avatar gallery is working properly, all custom avatars will be nuked. Those who paid for an MCA one will be given theirs again.

I do like my avatar but it's an MCA avatar that I paid $250 for, even if slightly modified. That's a special case. MCA avatars will stay.

Plus everyone who paid $200 or more for a custom MCA avatar will be eligible for custom avatars anyway.
Look, I can understand something being expensive because it is rare...like an MCA avatar. You paid for an MCA avatar and you got it. But since there is no scarcity problem for all the other avatars, why do you feel the need to restrict them?

Think of it like diamonds. Diamonds are beautiful and very hard. Everyone wants to have diamonds. It makes sense for those huge diamonds to be extremely expensive because they are extremely rare. But diamonds altogether are not so rare. De Beers controlled their flow in order to create false scarcity and inflate the prices. And that's why De Beers are considered to be among the scum of this earth.

Now, I don't consider it being of the same magnitude, but I can't help but see the same principle behind it.
Except in this scenario, you're just being a cunt.

I honestly don't feel like revisiting the custom avatars vs gallery debate again. There are, of course, arguments on both sides. Let's just say I am, personally, firmly in the pro-gallery, anti-custom avatar camp. I believe that on a forum like the Codex, dedicated as it is to PC/oldschool RPGs, all avatars must be in keeping with that, except in rare special cases.
There is a contradiction there. "Except" means you are not firmly pro-gallery, anti-custom. You just want a gallery for everyone except yourself and a dozen more posters. If you were firmly pro-gallery, you would "sacrifice" your avatar.
Not really. MCA Trolls are appropriately Codexian - and they were offered as a reward as part of one of our campaign drives. In much the same way we offered ad-free and other perks such as special tags.

The thing s, the Codex has traditionally disdained custom avatar. The only reason for their current proliferation is the fact that moving to xenforo fucked the old galleries hard and it was a choice between custom and no avatars at all.
And I understand this. But the rule also applied to everyone. Even DU used a gallery avatar.
Saint_Proverbius always used a custom one. It's been a general rule that admins can have custom avatars. It's one of the perks of the jobs. I've just usually never bothered.

MCA avatars are the obvious exception, coming as a reward for $200 donations. If you want to have a custom avatar you'd better be prepared to make a similar monetary sacrifice. That is fair.
The reward for $200 (a price for real scarcity) was the personalized MCA avatar, not the forum-right to use it.
Arguing that "oh but they didn't pay for the right to use it!" is some kind of technical bullshit because a) you'd think it'd be included and b) they'd have enough potato from their $200 to choose the option anyway.

As for sacrifice, I will just say that it is totally relative to what you have. For Bill Gates, $200 are nothing but for a working man in Bangladesh, it might be all he has.
The price was $200, not $2 Billion. Bill Gates doesn't factor into it. According to your location, you live in Germany not Bangladesh. And again, the price was $200. Our prices don't scale to the hole you live in. It's a tough world out there. You'll grow up one day and understand that. You don't get to buy a mansion for $5 just because in terms of your weekly income, $5 is a lot of money for you.

One of the reasons most societies are awful is because they are defined and controlled purely for the sake of money and power, instead of the community itself. Unfortunately, the Codex is slowly going down that road.
Except we're talking about MCA trolls, which were gained in a fund-raiser aimed at benefitting our community by supporting traditional cRPG games that are rarely made. Those who contributed a substantial amount, received an appropriate prize worthy of their contribution to helping our community: a custom avatar - something usually not on offer at the Codex, and designed by MCA himself.

Why is ad free working but not my patron tag?
Patron tag no longer has anything to do with ad-free. Due to the number of people who didn't want it but still want to donate, it's being included in the options of tags you'll be able to enable / disable. Those who currently still have the patron tag are left-over from the old system.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I love my ball-bearing avatar, I've switched back to the lovable Torn guy. Now just make it actually show up on the forum please.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Except in this scenario, you're just being a cunt.
It was a simple parallel actually, pointing out some similarities. Nothing personal with Bee of course. And since no one bothers to refute it, I guess I get a partial answer. By the way, I'm a very decent person.

Arguing that "oh but they didn't pay for the right to use it!" is some kind of technical bullshit because a) you'd think it'd be included and b) they'd have enough potato from their $200 to choose the option anyway.
This technicality didn't exist then, that's why I asked about it now.

The price was $200, not $2 Billion. Bill Gates doesn't factor into it. According to your location, you live in Germany not Bangladesh. And again, the price was $200. Our prices don't scale to the hole you live in. It's a tough world out there. You'll grow up one day and understand that. You don't get to buy a mansion for $5 just because in terms of your weekly income, $5 is a lot of money for you.
I didn't complain about any price, did I? I said I didn't have the $200 and that's why I don't have an avatar. I didn't ask for it to be cheaper for me. I just commented on the word sacrifice and what it means for different people. And Bill Gates and Bangladesh were exaggerations that helped me make a point about it.

Saint_Proverbius always used a custom one. It's been a general rule that admins can have custom avatars. It's one of the perks of the jobs. I've just usually never bothered.

Except we're talking about MCA trolls, which were gained in a fund-raiser aimed at benefitting our community by supporting traditional cRPG games that are rarely made. Those who contributed a substantial amount, received an appropriate prize worthy of their contribution to helping our community: a custom avatar - something usually not on offer at the Codex, and designed by MCA himself.
These too answer my question.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm a very decent person.
No, you're a cunt. You use a similar passive-aggressive / "high and mighty" style of FretRider where you try to say something, it seems to have no relevance unless read in a certain context, but when that context is pointed out you retreat from it. You either lack the capability to say clearly and directly what you mean (which in this case is: I want a custom avatar and I think $200 is too much) - which I doubt; or you're being a cunt.

This technicality didn't exist then, that's why I asked about it now.
You didn't "ask" about it. You out-right said: "The reward for $200 (a price for real scarcity) was the personalized MCA avatar, not the forum-right to use it."

There is no question mark there denoting a question. It's a blunt statement. And it is incorrect. At the time we had custom avatars because of our lack of XenForo avatar gallery, meaning anyone who got one would be allowed to use it. Denying them that right now would be a pretty shit-cock move. Along the lines of upping the ad-free prices and not compensating people who paid the stated price earlier - but didn't get their ad-free time until now.

Plus this is while you were talking about the Codex doing things "for the sake of money and power" and leading to decline. Your position only seems to be an attempt to refute Crooked Bee's "right" to have a custom avatar while you can't (because you couldn't or weren't willing to pay the price).

I didn't complain about any price, did I? I said I didn't have the $200 and that's why I don't have an avatar. I didn't ask for it to be cheaper for me. I just commented on the word sacrifice and what it means for different people. And Bill Gates and Bangladesh were exaggerations that helped me make a point about it.
1. Except you used your comment about sacrifice to lead into an argument that "One of the reasons most societies are awful is because they are defined and controlled purely for the sake of money and power, instead of the community itself. Unfortunately, the Codex is slowly going down that road." Dude, we're talking about custom avatars on an internet forum. Over-reaching much?

2. "Sacrifice" isn't relative. Just because $200 may not mean much to me, doesn't mean I'm not "sacrificing" it for what I believe is a higher or more worthy cause. And in this case, the Codex didn't even get the money.

3. You mentioned this in response to evdk's comment about people having to make a "similar monetary sacrifice". If you weren't complaining about the price, then your entire comment is completely irrelevant (uhhh... thanks for the semantics on the word "sacrifice"?). It only has relevance when taken in context of evdk's comment and reading your reply as a rebuttal that "someone who donates just $1 could be sacrificing more" (IE: your personal situation) with the implication being therefore that they are somehow worthy of a custom avatar. Which they're not, just in case you're unclear on that.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh, but there were special avatars that were only available to accomplished individuals in the old Codex...

banned.gif

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
No, you're a cunt. You use a similar passive-aggressive / "high and mighty" style of FretRider where you try to say something, it seems to have no relevance unless read in a certain context, but when that context is pointed out you retreat from it. You either lack the capability to say clearly and directly what you mean (which in this case is: I want a custom avatar and I think $200 is too much) - which I doubt; or you're being a cunt.
I made a parallel with De Beers and the issue of human-made scarcity for monetary purposes and commented that I consider that behaviour of low value for a community and scum-like, but not of the same magnitude. This quite straight-forward statement was answered by simply calling me a cunt.

In the end it is your web-site, you work for it and I get to enjoy it. I respect that and that's why I try to offer criticism, else I would just roll my eyes. Helping and criticising is what "friends" or "allies" (I use the terms loosely here) do. If trying to offer criticism or understand the logic behind decisions that affect a community makes me a cunt, then what more can I say? It's the fucking internet, I don't have a way to convince you of my honest intentions. I guess being called a cunt...

RPG Codex | We're a bunch of angry cunts.

...comes with the Codex job description.

You didn't "ask" about it. You out-right said: "The reward for $200 (a price for real scarcity) was the personalized MCA avatar, not the forum-right to use it."

There is no question mark there denoting a question. It's a blunt statement. And it is incorrect. At the time we had custom avatars because of our lack of XenForo avatar gallery, meaning anyone who got one would be allowed to use it. Denying them that right now would be a pretty shit-cock move. Along the lines of upping the ad-free prices and not compensating people who paid the stated price earlier - but didn't get their ad-free time until now.

Plus this is while you were talking about the Codex doing things "for the sake of money and power" and leading to decline. Your position only seems to be an attempt to refute Crooked Bee's "right" to have a custom avatar while you can't (because you couldn't or weren't willing to pay the price).
I should have written "Ask about the issue of avatars and monetization". I admit it wasn't the clearest sentence, but you understood what I meant from the rest of the discussion and already answered in your previous post. If you say it is incorrect, then it is incorrect.

And I don't want to refute her "right" to use her avatar, this is ridiculous. The avatars are not the main issue here.
1. Except you used your comment about sacrifice to lead into an argument that "One of the reasons most societies are awful is because they are defined and controlled purely for the sake of money and power, instead of the community itself. Unfortunately, the Codex is slowly going down that road." Dude, we're talking about custom avatars on an internet forum. Over-reaching much?

2. "Sacrifice" isn't relative. Just because $200 may not mean much to me, doesn't mean I'm not "sacrificing" it for what I believe is a higher or more worthy cause. And in this case, the Codex didn't even get the money.

3. You mentioned this in response to evdk's comment about people having to make a "similar monetary sacrifice". If you weren't complaining about the price, then your entire comment is completely irrelevant (uhhh... thanks for the semantics on the word "sacrifice"?). It only has relevance when taken in context of evdk's comment and reading your reply as a rebuttal that "someone who donates just $1 could be sacrificing more" (IE: your personal situation) with the implication being therefore that they are somehow worthy of a custom avatar. Which they're not, just in case you're unclear on that.
1. No, the comment about sacrifice was not connected to the next, that's why I split them into two paragraphs.
The issue of the avatars is just being current and used to illustrate a situation, you can substitute them with anything similar. The main and underlying issue is something many have mentioned, the negative (or positive depending on the point of view) prospect of turning into an SA-like forum. I'm not overreaching, society is a word that can be used for the members of a forum.

2. I didn't say it is relative to the cause, but it is to the person.

3. Yes, it was clear from your previous post and I didn't say they are equally worthy of a custom avatar. I wrote about the semantics, in a different paragraph, to point out the human aspect of it. Nothing more or less.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
We consider custom avatars to be extremely popamole

Never understood this, never will.

You think my current avatar is more "popamole" than the robotic dog from Fallout which I chose from a limited gallery like a factory worker putting on his generic white jumpsuit before work?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
all custom avatars will be nuked.

Hmm, so, will there be an option to have no avatar like it was before? This is very important. Is that what the "Delete current avatar" option does?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom