Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DEMONZ will crawl into the darkest crevices of our soul and refuse to come out, stating that he will not be held responsible for finding enough fiancees to get this bunch out of the house.

We will be on our own.

Baltika9

Arcane
I know our stalker physician is cute because she is creepy, but I wonder how it works out for males.
The daughter's the one that enjoys hanging out with Grampa Zhang and later gets dubbed the Little Maniac.
Let me guess, she is also the one who will have a harem of suitors beaten into submission?

Edit: Wait, why would we even have sons? I thought women are our curse and Jing ends up with 99 daughters. The court intrigue would pale in comparison to what will happen in the Xu household.
Easy. On our travels abroad, buy one most beautiful dress/flower/instrument/etc... and hang it up in the middle of an obstacle course on Maniac Island (last round is a free-for-all). Keeps them in shape and disciplines them. Problem=solved.

Except the Little Maniac. She will be our sweetheart, we will bring her all sorts of cool weapons and shit from around the world. If she behaves extra, extra nice, we'll even take her to Scandinavia to meet Odin.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, I've been sick since last weekend and still finding it hard to concentrate (which is actually why that last gaiden got posted unfinished, I dozed off halfway and decided to just go with what I had first). I'll try to get it done sometime today.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Battle at Black Dragon Gate

You decide to focus all of your attentions on the old man. If you can just bring him down here, the others can take care of Zhang Manxing.

Vairya rushes in, fists flying towards Yang Xue. Even though blinded, the old man tracks his actions unerringly. He swats aside Vairya’s punches with a wave of his arm, exchanging a few moves before successfully retaliates with a powerful blow that shakes the air. Vairya receives it head-on: literally. With a shout, he meets the pointed fingers of Yang Xue with his head. The skin splits, but the bone underneath does not crack – gritting his teeth, Vairya pushes Yang Xue back. At the same time, the Sword Saint leaps over him and slashes twice with his Zhanlu Sword. The black blade manages to draw blood. Even so, Yang Xue remains unperturbed; the cuts are nothing but shallow. Laughing, his bony arm snaps straight and grabs the Great Sword by the flat of its blade. Yang Xue swings, hurling the Sword Saint away. Though he manages to land on his feet, Vairya comes barreling into him a second later, having been sent off with a kick.

Yang Xue comes charging in, but Qi Liuwu blindsides him with his feet, and Jiu Mo follows up with a distracting Xianglong Palm strike. Ameretat steps forward to aid them while the Sword Saint and Vairya regain their breath.

“I’m barely at sixty percent of my previous strength in this condition,” says Shangguan, a rare hint of frustration flashing across his face. “Not that I am certain of beating this strange old man even if I were at my peak.”

“Sorry, I’ll try to pick up the slack,” you reply half-embarrassedly, patting the donated arm. Then, you say to the kneeling Amesha Spenta, “Vairya, you are making a fool of yourself. What about your ultimate technique?”

“Little lord, there is no fun in showing your trump card too soon in a fight.”

“You tried to use it on me pretty quickly!”

“That was a duel between two warriors. The situation is different,” he says jovially and without a hint of remorse.

You scowl at his excuse. “We’ll try to buy you an opening.” The Sword Saint returns to the fray ahead of you, and you join in just shortly after.

A swift and sudden application of the Xixing Great Skill leaves Ameretat and Jiu Mou off-balance and helpless. Whirling around, Yang Xue matches Qi Liuwu kick for kick and overcomes him, sending the armless beggar flying straight up into the air. “You will not succeed in using my own techniques against me!” he shouts.

“We’ll see about that.” You’ve spent enough time watching to grasp his movement with Wuxiang Qiankun. Allowing the harmonized qi to guide your movements, you strike back at Yang Xue, imitating his every move.

“More mimicry? Foolish fools!” Yang Xue’s strength is so far beyond yours that even with Wuxiang Qiankun, even with the other fighters helping out, you cannot keep up an exchange of blows with him for long. A stray, glancing blow from the old man causes your bones to tremble. You are forced back a step. He crawls forward on all four limbs, howling, and attempts to gnaw at your shins. Slightly panicked, you leap out of the way just in time to see a recovered Guo Fu falling upon Yang Xue, attempting to pin him to the ground. The old man shouts and slams the ground with his fists – the qi emanating from his body is enough to toss even Guo Fu’s big bulk into the air. His follow-up attempt to run his fist through Guo’s chest is intercepted by the Sword Saint, who swings his sword rapidly in a dazzling array of slashes that entrap Yang Xue where he stands.

Numerous wounds form all over Yang’s body, spurting blood. These seem to cut a little deeper than before, and Yang Xue falls back with a cry. You press the attack – in this situation, you already know what he’ll do in response to your moves.

A left hook to the head will force him to retaliate with an upwards swinging claw.

You step back, having seen it coming. You just need him to overstretch one time.

“Now!”

Vairya roars. The earth breaks under his feet as he charges forth and splits the air.

His arms swing forward, concentrated with the full might of his considerable internal energy: even Yang Xue would not be able to take this and remain fully unscathed, you think.

You are not sure what happened next.

Somehow, Vairya’s most powerful technique misses.

At the very last instant, Yang Xue twists himself around at an impossible angle – one that should have broken his spine – and evades the attack by a hair’s breadth.

The force of Vairya’s qi batters a large crater in the earthen wall behind Yang Xue, but otherwise leaves the old man unharmed. He untwines himself and slams the side of his palm into Vairya’s temple in a furious blow hard enough that the ground cracks under their feet and the trees around the fortress shed their leaves from the tremor. Caught by surprise, the Amesha Spenta is sent tumbling to the ground.

Then, laughing out loud, he goes on the attack. Leaping from a standing position, his feet move so rapidly that you cannot follow them: this is his mastered version of the Shadowless Thunder Breaker. It would be suicide to try and block it. You have to evade. The kicks blow great holes in the landscape, forcing you and your companions to scatter while at the same time propelling Yang Xue to where he wants to go.

With this trick Yang Xue isolates Jiu Mou. Landing in front of him, he grins at the young beggar. Jiu Mou shouts – seeing no way out, he uses a desperation attack: The Dragon’s Flight Shakes The Earth. Yang Xue meets Jiu Mou’s palms with his own. Even the entirety of Jiu Mou’s internal energy, combined with the Xianglong Eighteen Palms technique, is insufficient. Yang Xue simply overpowers Jiu Mou with his godly inner strength. It is as if the beggar had been hit by a flying wall – he is flung off into the distance, only coming to a rest after smashing a few trees in his flight.

Qi Liuwu arrives just a moment too late to save his protégé. His kicks are intercepted and broken, along with his right leg. A sweeping kick from Yang Xue blasts past Qi’s own defenses – while you are hurrying to get there, you can audibly hear the bones crack. The old beggar falls to the ground in pain. You slash out with your wodao, attempting to stop Yang Xue from finishing off Qi. At the same time, the Sword Saint approaches with a low slash from the other side. Yang Xue reaches out and stops both your blades with his bare hands.

“Xixing Great Skill!”

His use of the technique immobilizes both you and the Sword Saint: you can feel your qi starting to drain through your sword, though you are unable to let go. The drain is so powerful that you are forced to exert every ounce of mastery and control over your qi to counteract it; you cannot reverse it, but you can certainly protect yourself and Shangguan Chuji from being sucked dry in an instant.

Shouting a battle cry, Guo Fu charges at him, wrapping his thick arms around Yang Xue’s waist. He heaves and roars, attempting to lift Yang off the ground. It is as if Guo Fu is attempting to raise an immovable boulder rooted to the earth. Though he is considerably larger, and heavier, and seemingly physically stronger, the stick-thin Yang Xue does not budge.

He merely grins.

He lifts his head back and smashes his bony jaw onto the back of Guo Fu’s skull. Crying out, Guo lets go and slumps to the ground, blood spurting from his head.

“Lord Jing!” Vines shoot up towards Yang Xue at Ameretat’s command, piercing his aged body. They wither on contact, however, shrivelled by the malicious vitality coursing through his veins.

“Retrieve the injured and heal them!” you yell out. Ameretat acknowledges your order and darts in to recover those wounded by Yang Xue. He attempts to intercept her, but at the same time, you still have him pinned thanks to his Xixing Great Skill. The Sword Saint is contributing too, forcing the full might of his sword qi down upon Yang Xue – at this moment, if the old man loses concentration he could easily lose an arm.

“This is it for you!” Bai Jiutian chooses that moment to strike – she has been waiting for the right opportunity all this while. Her sword engulfed in shadow, she charges forward, stabbing at Yang Xue’s neck. The tip of the blade hits skin, and is stopped. The darkness flares as Bai Jiutian yells, pushing all of her strength into this one attack, and the sword slowly begins to sink in, penetrating Yang Xue’s defenses. Blood trickles from the wound as the blade is forced through, bit by bit.

Yang Xue lets out a cry of frustration. Then, without warning, he reverses the flow of qi, sending it pumping outwards.

The Sword Saint is knocked back, freed of Yang Xue’s grasp.

Bai’s sword shatters as she too is thrown away, leaving behind a shard of steel in the old man’s neck.

You, on the other hand, absorb as much of the impact as you can, mimicking Yang Xue’s Xixing Great Skill to help in this. There is rather too much qi for you to handle in one go, however – you can feel the harmonious streams of qi in your body waver under the strain of this unnatural load, about to collapse back into chaos. With this much internal energy in play… this is going to wreck your body when it happens. You can feel blood welling up in your mouth as every fiber of your being begins protesting the stress that you are subjecting them to.

There must be something you can do, something to turn it all around…

Suddenly, Yang Xue breaks off contact. The sudden void leaves you stumbling; you fall back onto your butt, gasping for breath.

His hand is held out in front of him, balled into a fist. Blood drips from between his fingers, and when he opens his hands, you see a blood-stained rock. Yang’s fingers close again, sharply, and crush the rock into powder. “Name yourself!” he calls out.

The response is polite but not at all soft, and you can sense the barely restrained glee under it all.

“I am Zhang Jue,” says your master from atop the wall, “and it seems that today will be a good day for glorious combat.”

At long last, the rain begins to fall.

Sunnmøring

Novice
We didn't seem to have as many deaths as I thought would happen... that's, what, Jie Mou down, anyone else? If Cao'er can get to people she might be able to make them better, but I have the suspicious feeling that Zhang will prepare a nasty surprise.

Also, because I can't brofist yet: :bro::bro::bro:

This is a masterpiece.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait, is Jie Mou dead? I thought he was just hit really, really hard and is incapacitated. I mean, this is Wuxia, what does it mean to be hit by a flying wall or two?

Also, why was the rock blood-stained? Was it thrown with such a force that it hurt Yang Xue just to catch it? Or was it blood from his previous injuries?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, that's it, I can't finish it right now, head's spinning. I'll upload the second half of the update + choices tomorrow.

Also if you guys need more deaths that can always be arranged.

Esquilax

Arcane
Zhang's old man is a monster of a fighter. If only Big Wang was here, he would know what to do.

Master Zhang's father is going to have to answer for not being there for Jue'er. We need appropriate music for this epic battle:

Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had,
And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was big and bent and gray and old,
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said: "My name is 'SJue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when,
He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm never going to be able to live up to the hype here so I'll just leave it up to your imagination as to how the fight itself went. :M

Kayerts

Arcane
During the vote for the last choice, I was considering making an argument for A (a.k.a. new technique: Shrieking Flight of the Little Girl). The reasoning started with the observation that Yang Xue was the best pugilist alive even back when Ahura and Big Wang were still around; that Big Wang needed backup from Fangzheng (himself the second best orthodox pugilist, back when he was alive) to capture him, and that was before Yang got really powerful; and that the combined team of Vairya, Jing, one-armed Sword Saint, and armless Qi wouldn't be enough to take him on, even with help from Nie and Bai, and especially not if Manxing makes a miraculous recovery. My concluding sentence was, "If Lord Zhang wanders in to kick his ass, maybe we can win; if Super Xuezi goes on a rampage, sure, but what are the odds of either of those happening?"

Then I remembered what genre I was in and deleted the draft.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Right, looks like I ran out of time to finish. Unfortunately I won't be able to update this weekend either. If you guys want the choice first, with a brief summary of the current (relevant) situation, that's alright with me.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Perhaps. I really should try to finish this before Wasteland 2 - or god forbid, Pillars of Eternity - is released, shouldn't I? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom