Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Artisans are heavy bugged. Same thing happened with me but with Irlene
Damn. And I specifically repeced in hopes of maharaja giving me a decent fauchard. I wonder what will happen if I ll tell other artisans to leave?

Anyone who has the items care to post their codes?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Dunno why you keep responding then, a bunch of people here claim 42 AC is easy to hit at lvl 2/3, I'd like to know how.
Nobody is forcing you to make a beeline for that encounter the moment you leave Oleg's for the first time.
A more realistic level when most people would tackle that encounter would be 4 or 5.
You ask what people did when defeating that mob yet when you're told what they did you go nah nah nah I can't hear you, also you need to fight that mob at level 1 how is that supposed to work? Checkmate!

I had an Eldritch Archer, let's see
+2 BAB (yes at lvl4 I only had magus 3, Vivi 1 so 2 BAB)
+ 5 Dex
+ 2 (cat's grace)
+ 2 dex mutagen
+1 point blank shot
+ 1 bless
+1 aid
+1 bard song
+ 3 arcane accuracy (16 int omg you could buff that with fox cunning and get another +2)
+ 1 weapon enchantment
------
+20 True Strike

But you did it at level 3 (yet continue to complain) so just subtract 1 point of BAB and 1 of arcane accuracy (because I started with INT 15 and only increased it to 16 at lvl4), then add 2 points back because I now use Fox Cunning as well. Extremely likely to hit enough?
But but but you totally have to do it at level 2 because everybody who just dinged 2 at Olegs will immediately make a beeline for this encounter. It is known. Because you cannot afford a scroll of pro electricity yet, so of course you do that thing right now, right? Derp derp derp

This mob literally does zero dmg when protection from electricity is up, so this encounter is way down on the frustration scale unlike that boar in the elk temple who tends to hit your lvl3 chars with 20-30 dmg per strike while sporting way too high AB, AC and even has concealment.

But... what if I don't want to use true strike? Checkmate!

Parabalus

Arcane
Dunno why you keep responding then, a bunch of people here claim 42 AC is easy to hit at lvl 2/3, I'd like to know how.
Nobody is forcing you to make a beeline for that encounter the moment you leave Oleg's for the first time.
A more realistic level when most people would tackle that encounter would be 4 or 5.
You ask what people did when defeating that mob yet when you're told what they did you go nah nah nah I can't hear you, also you need to fight that mob at level 1 how is that supposed to work? Checkmate!

I had an Eldritch Archer, let's see
+2 BAB (yes at lvl4 I only had magus 3, Vivi 1 so 2 BAB)
+ 5 Dex
+ 2 (cat's grace)
+ 2 dex mutagen
+1 point blank shot
+ 1 bless
+1 aid
+1 bard song
+ 3 arcane accuracy (16 int omg you could buff that with fox cunning and get another +2)
+ 1 weapon enchantment
------
+20 True Strike

But you did it at level 3 (yet continue to complain) so just subtract 1 point of BAB and 1 of arcane accuracy (because I started with INT 15 and only increased it to 16 at lvl4), then add 2 points back because I now use Fox Cunning as well. Extremely likely to hit enough?
But but but you totally have to do it at level 2 because everybody who just dinged 2 at Olegs will immediately make a beeline for this encounter. It is known. Because you cannot afford a scroll of pro electricity yet, so of course you do that thing right now, right? Derp derp derp

This mob literally does zero dmg when protection from electricity is up, so this encounter is way down on the frustration scale unlike that boar in the elk temple who tends to hit your lvl3 chars with 20-30 dmg per strike while sporting way too high AB, AC and even has concealment.

But... what if I don't want to use true strike? Checkmate!

I didn't complain, I wiped him at level 3, but you of all people spammed that 42 AC is nothing and easy to hit, was it so hard to post your build?

My MC was a rogue 3 and no way I could hit those numbers with him or default NPCs, obviously other builds can. I'm not a Pathfinder expert so I wanted to see which ones can.

Pretty cool if he died in the ?2? True strikes you had, I needed several hits.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Who gives a shit? Since enemies can and will do it to you too, where's the problem? There isn't one.
Not a "problem" per se but it makes Rogue classes (and Vivisectionists of curse) beat the crap out of fighters and barbarians because of easy sneak attacks combined with the ability to take combat trick multiple times - they're simply better than pure combat classes for combat in most scenarios.
It's a single player game (and not a Sawyer one) so it's not a big issue, not everything needs to be "balanced" but I wouldn't mind rogues and vivisectionists not beating the crap out of pure-combat classes... in combat.
Of curse there is the argument that a computer game will be always more combat focused than a pnp and offer less options outside of combat thus making rogues less interesting to play than they would be in pnp. To compensate, Owlcat decided to give them better combat ability by changing how sneak attack and how some feats work. But was it the best way to go about it?

What feats did they change?
I already wrote it in my post you quoted. Combat trick (or more precisely, how rogue talents work with combat trick). You are supposed by pnp rules to only be able to take any rogue talent only once unless the talent explicitly states otherwise. But not in P:K. Which in practice means that a rogue (or vivi through discoveries) can get as many additional combat feats as a fighter by taking combat tricks multiple times. Might be a bug and will be patched eventually, or not. Not a big deal perhaps but it combines with easy sneak attack and results in sneak attack archetypes being much stronger than they are in pnp relative to pure combat classes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I know it's crazy but I have to agree with Cael

....second time it happens, for good or ill

on sneak attacks.

Yes, it is by the rules of Pathfinder that you can sneak attack undead and such, but combined with easy flanking and ranged attacks sneak attack is too much of a no-brainer in this game. At the very least reducing damage from it against undead, aberrations (how the hell do you sneak attack a will o wisp?) and such to 1d4 and making it mandatory to have invis or even stun on the enemy to make ranged sneak attacks against them would do good for banalce.

This is also somewhat of a reason why Wild Hunt, made for TB combat, shreds things so hard in real time in literally seconds. Ranged Force attack with extra sneak attack on top. Oh boi.

I always liked how it worked in IE games. Backstabber could one-shot even Sarevok in one hit (one of the first solo playthroughs for BG1 was done by rogue or wizard/rogue I believe), but you only had that one hit, unless you also stocked on all invis pots in the world.

And seriously, vivisectionists. Are they so strong in PnP too? Because I've seen literally whole parties of them proposed for Unfair.

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
Wow, repairing the temple of Elk is such a trap choice. 60 days spent and what do I get? a freaking merchant with 7 scrolls and an useless ring. And I thought Brineheart was underwhelming.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Wow, repairing the temple of Elk is such a trap choice. 60 days spent and what do I get? a freaking merchant with 7 scrolls and an useless ring. And I thought Brineheart was underwhelming.
Also i think it's bugged. "It prevents pillaging temple of elk". Guess what project spawned right after i finished repair? "Pillage temple of Elk"

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I think you need it for
the better region upgrade for the North Narlmarches.

vazha

Arcane
Oh good. I had half a mind to up and pillage it now after rebuilding.

Parabalus

Arcane
Also i think it's bugged. "It prevents pillaging temple of elk". Guess what project spawned right after i finished repair? "Pillage temple of Elk"

I did both, resulted in empty temple, but being able to do the region upgrade.

:happytrollboy:

Efe

Erudite
the hero scientist we needed!
definitely pillaging that shit next time

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I did both, resulted in empty temple, but being able to do the region upgrade.

:happytrollboy:
"I built it so I could make a point of tearing it down". Maximum Chaotic.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Good Lord, that Jaethal quest
killed her daughter, told her to remain a mummy, she's got three +2 stat increases. Life's good and Jae is officially the best tank there is.
Sooo you get an option to make her alive? Can you bone her then?

the ending does imply you bone her if you make her take the daughter body, pleasures of the flesh yada yada route

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Good Lord, that Jaethal quest
killed her daughter, told her to remain a mummy, she's got three +2 stat increases. Life's good and Jae is officially the best tank there is.
Sooo you get an option to make her alive? Can you bone her then?

the ending does imply you bone her if you make her take the daughter body, pleasures of the flesh yada yada route
Missed opportunity then,double missed for the lack of necrophilic sex.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So what is the recomended difficulty for a challenging playthough?challenging or normal?
Also str or dex aldori def has the biggest ac?
I would suggest Normal until the end of Chapter 1, then increase it more and more. I would personally never touch the slider that adjusts rolls, only the one that increases their stats.

The difficulty spike from increased stats is high, early on, when small boosts matter a lot. As the game continues, it becomes less and less of a "spike" and more of a curve. It matters less in the grand scheme of things, but you'll also appreciate the increasing difficulty more, as you'll have more ways to deal with it and you won't get stuck in some retarded situation or having to rely on very cheesy tactics.

I'm still far from finishing the game, but when the patch hits and provided it actually fixes enough things, when I start my "real" playthrough, I think I'll increase the stats of enemies by one "step" per chapter.

Ultimately, it's hard to judge this for you, because what is challenging to you might be impossible for another. I've seen a lot of people complain that one early fight (vs. Technic League, don't worry, you'll meet them, it's not a major spoiler) is "unwinnable", but it's actually easy as fuck unless you're retarded. So it's all relative.
True Strike is fucking broken. Shit's only supposed to work for ONE ATTACK
Wait, what? It's bugged and works for the entire round, or what? What.. what if we extend it?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fucking hell, just had a fight with
2 Defaced Sisters.
Probably best spellcaster fight yet.
They completely debuffed my party and then proceeded to flame strike and then disable them one by one with a touch. And in addition I had half of the barbarian camp to fight. The fight was harder than it should have been because I didn't pre buff for it as I didn't expect the bitches to turn on me suddenly. I tried to help them the whole time and they turned on me. When I do this with my Necro evil run I am going to be killing them on sight :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom