Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

$40 for such a highly praised game seems quite reasonable, compared to $60 for any kind of new AA-AAA game.
What the fuck? That kind of cash will get you both UR and AoD. The value stat here is completely out of whack and I'm very disappointed with you. This is some grade A BS.
AoD was $30, and Disco's got more aesthetically pleasing stuff in it. Partial voice acting, more music, snazzier graphics. $10 difference isn't unreasonable given the fancier production. Underrail is shameful however and you should feel bad bringing it up among a pair of prestigious RPGs. And of course you're talking about the full price of AoD, naturally, because all fans of RPGs clearly purchased both AoD and Disco at launch for full price, right? Right.

Underrail is shameful however and you should feel bad bringing it up among a pair of prestigious RPGs.
Excuse me? Shut your whore mouth you filthy new-fag. Underrail is amazing and filled with content, better than both AoD and DE.
Underrail is literal garbage for number pushers to touch themselves while playing. That's like trying to compare ToME to a proper RPG. Yes, it might technically be classified as one without diving too far into "But what is an RPG", but in your heart of hearts you know it's just called an RPG so munchkins can feel good about their murderhobos.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail is literal garbage for number pushers to touch themselves while playing
Imagine being so confused by a RPG system that you try to pretend like it's all about numbers and calculations. Just admit you weren't smart enough to figure it out and move on.
Yes, it might technically be classified as one without diving too far into "But what is an RPG", but in your heart of hearts you know it's just called an RPG so munchkins can feel good about their murderhobos.
Alright bro. Nevermind the fact that it has some of the best world-building of any RPG ever, and a great story to boot.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've played Underrail over a dozen times, I think it is one of the best RPGs, and I wouldn't really call its world-building or story very good.

I guess that's a compliment or sacrilege, or both.

Underrail is literal garbage for number pushers to touch themselves while playing
Imagine being so confused by a RPG system that you try to pretend like it's all about numbers and calculations. Just admit you weren't smart enough to figure it out and move on.
Yes, it might technically be classified as one without diving too far into "But what is an RPG", but in your heart of hearts you know it's just called an RPG so munchkins can feel good about their murderhobos.
Alright bro. Nevermind the fact that it has some of the best world-building of any RPG ever, and a great story to boot.
Wasn't smart enough to figure it out? I'd take offense except you're attacking your own point. Denying that's it's all about numbers and calculations and then in the same breath saying that I'm a retarded casual who can't hustle those numbers around like a pro to actually play the game, since it's apparently about numbers and calculations enough that a retard such as myself can't handle it.

I'd also think you're nuts on the world building and story front, though you might be lumping world building with exploration. And the exploration is really well done in Underrail. There's a lot I'd bitch about with the game but that's one area where the game completely shines and is better than just about anything else.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Wasn't smart enough to figure it out? I'd take offense except you're attacking your own point. Denying that's it's all about numbers and calculations and then in the same breath saying that I'm a retarded casual who can't hustle those numbers around like a pro to actually play the game, since it's apparently about numbers and calculations enough that a retard such as myself can't handle it.
Not what I said. You supposedly live in Illinois, so you have no excuse for being so bad at reading comprehension. I said that you're so stupid you automatically assumed that Underrail was a numbers game when it really doesn't require any number crunching at all to make a good build that's viable at Hard difficulty, much less normal.
I'd also think you're nuts on the world building and story front, though you might be lumping world building with exploration.
I'm not. The setting of Underrail is unironically great and nuanced, and I enjoyed the story regarding the Faceless and Oculus very much so.

Skall

Learned
And let's not forget that this is just Steam stats, and GOG may have lured away a lot of people by offering free Underrail in addition to the already superior DRM-free version.

GOG isn't perfect -- they really should've accepted Grimoire and Knights of the Chalice as those games are in the spirit of what the platform used to be all about -- but I still get the GOG version of any new release instead of the Steam one if that's an option. I did it with ATOM, UnderRail, Dungeon Rats, etc., and I did it with Disco Elysium. No annoying DRM, no insisting on phoning home when an internet connection isn't available, and a downloadable .exe if things go belly-up.

Last edited:
I said that you're so stupid you automatically assumed that Underrail was a numbers game when it really doesn't require any number crunching at all to make a good build that's viable at Hard difficulty, much less normal.
I guess I scrubbed the unmentioned "automatically" there since I've actually played the fucking game and know it's just about jerking off with character builds, then! If you're saying I was scared off by numbers and didn't even play it then we can knock that on the head immediately.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I've actually played the fucking game and know it's just about jerking off with character builds
What does this even mean? Yes, the game is about trying out various different character builds and enjoying the combat, but you can reduce any RPG to an oversimplified caricature. Whatever, no point in arguing with someone such as yourself who cannot see incline even when it's right in his face.

What does this even mean? Yes, the game is about trying out various different character builds and enjoying the combat, but you can reduce any RPG to an oversimplified caricature. Whatever, no point in arguing with someone such as yourself who cannot see incline even when it's right in his face.
You've got your incline and I've got mine, and we're now obliged to fight each-other to the death and allow the Outer Worlds to prosper.

:mob:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the whole conceit of stats talking to you & the Thought Cabinet would be a largely pointless gimmick if it weren't (1) written superbly, and (2) a large part of development resources dedicated to making sure they are fully integrated into every situation, quest, dialogue, throughout.
We already saw that (it being a pointless gimmick) - the much touted NPC interjections and relationship system in Deadfire! And in the end, everyone was: "so what?"
I dont know what you saw in Deadfire but there was nothing there like a thought cabinet or talking to your stats in it. What "relationship system" got to do with anything is also beyond me.
Both systems have "interjections" in dialogue and give unique dialogue lines. The relationship system where reactions to dialogue based on tags was a systemic thing was a major new feature for Deadfire. In the end, it changed nothing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You people are fucking insane. UR and AoD heralded the everlasting drip of incline while people bitched and moaned; then this drivel gets a placard for pushing RPGs forward? This is some bullshit. It's not refining or expanding on anything. Fuck you.
I don't know what "people" you are talking to, but since you are quoting my post...
1. I didn't bitch and moan
2. I am among the biggest fans of Underrail and AoD around here
3. I'm not qualified to help with functional illiteracy problems, but I can restate what I said last time: "DE is unique with the way it uses dialogue and with the amount of reactivity it provides". Unique as in - no one else is like it.
4. Like I also said in the news thread - "if the writing doesn't grip you, nothing can save the experience for you". But this is a subjective matter. What I argue is that with the way DE uses dialogue, it shows a new way for an RPG to allow the player to express his character, and then react to this character.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I finally started also playing last night. Only a couple of hours in but what a unique experience!
I don't really know if it should be called an RPG or whatever and I don't care... They made something really special here. The whole concept of internal dialogues and thoughts etc is just amazing

Tigranes

Arcane
Okay, my pseudo-capitalist-superstar-sophist has now COMPLETED the great circle of disco

I liked the ending, or rather what happens all the way up to the very end, and even just a couple more bits of denouement would have been fine.

I liked the whole "this was all a dream, Harry" vibe of the final conversation - as if everything you did wasn't even real, it was just your piss-inspired dreams - but of course it was, it really was, and they are the ones asleep - and at the same time it's a mirror of the whole tribunal. I think I'd have been happy with a couple of painted slides of your return to Jamrock, maybe a chance to talk to a couple of folks again.

Anyway, my verdict in short: the game fucking oozes style, is superbly written and crafted in a way that stays consistent to the end, the thought cabinet is definitely innovative and the game will take place in gaming/Codex history. it's a masterpiece in developing its own way of thinking about player choice. the best way to think of it is indeed a pen and paper experience on the computer better than it's ever been done.

Cons? it certainly isn't a long or big game by any measure and i never knew why they were shitting out their arse about it, though i also think length is a dumb metric to begin with. it's a storyfag game that won't be eternally replayable like underrail, of course. like AOD and Alpha Protocol, two other games that also tried to go nuts on choice, there are places where the choices on offer seem unnatural or forced. i think the pacing does suffer after you lower the water bridge, and things aren't as tight as before. skill point distribution combined with clothes bonuses seem quite generous, probably because there are places where the game fails to offer you as much choice as it usually does.

It's what TTON should have been. And now I'm rolling a 1 INT motherfucker.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Game is good

but honestly, the game criticized me for questioning if a girl got raped and even threw the phrase "locker room talk" at me like it was a negative
Did you perceive it as a negative, or do you think the game wanted to present it in such a way as to tell you it's a negative? I remember the phrase and where it was used, but I saw it just as "the game gives me the option to be the kind of guy who would say that". I mean, I felt the game was impartial to this dialogue line.

Prime Junta

but honestly, the game criticized me for questioning if a girl got raped and even threw the phrase "locker room talk" at me like it was a negative

Get used to it. It'll criticise you no matter what you do. Try being a radical feminist, you'll get into some hilarious situations.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Game is good

Did you perceive it as a negative, or do you think the game wanted to present it in such a way as to tell you it's a negative? I remember the phrase and where it was used, but I saw it just as "the game gives me the option to be the kind of guy who would say that". I mean, I felt the game was impartial to this dialogue line.

i don't disagree with you, but the wise asian partner who criticizes you with "locker room talk" is usually painted as your moral compass. why did they have to use that liberal buzzword politically relevant phrase? it's clearly meant to criticize your views if you agree with trump's defense of the the pussy tape

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Get used to it. It'll criticise you no matter what you do. Try being a radical feminist, you'll get into some hilarious situations.

i don't mind that, but I bet it doesn't mock any liberal politicians with specific wording like "locker room talk" that is as identifiable as it is with trump. But i guess that may just be because he is the man on top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom