Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo it is asscreed in japan lol that looks like shit. Tho it looks like very beautiful shit. The gameplay is terrible and boring.

DemonKing

Arcane
Sooo it is asscreed in japan lol that looks like shit. Tho it looks like very beautiful shit. The gameplay is terrible and boring.

That's my impression. I'm struggling to think of anything new this is bringing to the table after looking at the demo. Maybe farting in the wind to be guided to the next location?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm struggling to think of anything new this is bringing to the table

Yea, it looks like a 1:1 replica. In fact it brings a few old things to the table, like the combat system. Everyone just standing around and waiting, the parry-instakill nonsense etc. Gives me strong AC2 vibes.

It's funny how all those Sony exclusives I thought will make me buy a PS5 are dropping by the wayside one by one. Nioh came to PC, Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC, God of War is rumoured to come to PC, Death Stranding turned out to be a giant meme and Ghost of Tsushima oozes a "been there, done that a 1000 times" feeling.

What's left? Bloodborne and Project Awakening, with the latter still being largely a mystery.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It's funny how all those Sony exclusives I thought will make me buy a PS5 are dropping by the wayside one by one. Nioh came to PC, Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC, God of War is rumoured to come to PC, Death Stranding turned out to be a giant meme and Ghost of Tsushima oozes a "been there, done that a 1000 times" feeling.
Don't buy the console regardless. Their games are all absolute rubbish, Bloodborne was the sole exception and that ran like ass and stuttered so much I dropped it and sold the console.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

What's left? Bloodborne and Project Awakening, with the latter still being largely a mystery.

Where did you hear Bloodborne and God of War coming to PC? I'm very interested in that.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played God of war in my friend's house some time ago, maybe it was because i only played it for around 2 hours, but it felt so banal, and camera position is downright retarded

Where did you hear Bloodborne and God of War coming to PC? I'm very interested in that.
he is talking out of his ass:lol: they are never coming to PC. god of war is 15years old series and every year there are fake rumors about pc port cause some retard posted on amazon wrong pages. you can forget about bloodborne, god of war, persona 5, last guardian,days gone, shadow of colossus, spider man, ghost of tsushima, uncharted or last of us. these are either system sellers or sony´s first party video games and they are not leaving ps4. you do not lose much since bloodborne and GoW are probably the only exclusives that are worth something. yakuza series is great but it is slowly getting ported to pc:positive:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you can forget about bloodborne, god of war, persona 5, last guardian,days gone, shadow of colossus, spider man, ghost of tsushima, uncharted or last of us. these are either system sellers or sony´s first party video games and they are not leaving ps4

Except Horizon Zero Dawn is both a system seller AND an internally developed Sony exclusive and it's coming to PC this summer. Plus 3rd party stuff like Nioh, Yakuza, Detroit or Death Stranding aren't exactly obscure Sony exclusives either. So maybe times they are a'changing? Which was the whole point of my post?

Btw I for one thing it is slightly MORE likely than not that both Bloodborne and GoW will come to PC when they inevitably get a 60 FPS remaster for PS5. Anyone wanna bet I'm game.

Terenty

Liturgist
God of War 2018 is one of the worst games i played in recent memory. I'm not exaggerating. Its the very definition of a bland corporate AAA checklist game, where graphics were given priority over gameplay. I put it in the same basket with Uncharted and modern Tomb Raiders as extremely similar low common denominator products.

Its shit in other words

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
When more than two enemies surround you, they gently wait for you to kill them off one at a time. So, yeah, it's exactly like Assassin's Creed. One ticket to disappointment island, thanks!

I don't understand what compels these companies to make combat systems so dumb that you aren't supposed to handle two enemies at the same time. Dark Souls proved that even the most basic enemy AI can be enough to reach global success without necessarily making a game that can be played by blind newborn babies without hands. Fuck.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't understand what compels these companies to make combat systems so dumb that you aren't supposed to handle two enemies at the same time. Dark Souls proved that even the most basic enemy AI can be enough to reach global success without necessarily making a game that can be played by blind newborn babies without hands. Fuck.

Honestly, in this case it just might be a side effect of game taking forever to develop. Trends that were hot shit five years ago got old and you can't exactly retool the entire game on a dime.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Honestly, in this case it just might be a side effect of game taking forever to develop. Trends that were hot shit five years ago got old and you can't exactly retool the entire game on a dime.

Yeah. Sucker Punch have been silent for the last 6 years, it's safe to assume Ghost has been in development since then. A lot of things has changed since 2014.

Machocruz

Arcane

Yeah. Sucker Punch have been silent for the last 6 years, it's safe to assume Ghost has been in development since then. A lot of things has changed since 2014.

Dark Souls money is chump change to what the AAAs want. Preferred 20+ million, no less than 10 desired. And even that is pretty weak when they see Rockstar, Mojang, and Nintendo selling 50+. Wasn't NUmb Raider considered a disappointment at 4 million, which is equal to or greater than any Souls game? Unfortunately for them, making as easily consumed a game as possible is not a guarantee, it's a (seemingly logical, but never empirically verified) precaution at best. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not special enough to think they can roll with any of the developers I mentioned, but I doubt they'd be happy with FromSoft sales.

EDIT: Hmm, from what I can find, SP's last game was in fact in the Souls sales range. Maybe they have more humble expectations then I assumed, but I still can't help think they are eyeing Santa Monica with envy.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
EDIT: Hmm, from what I can find, SP's last game was in fact in the Souls sales range. Maybe they have more humble expectations then I assumed, but I still can't help think they are eyeing Santa Monica with envy.

There's also that thing with the setting. Despite all those loud proclamations about how wonderful a Japanese Assassin Creed would be the reality of life is that Kwans and Yurofags are always more willing to splurge on games set in Yurop or the US. That is obviously the main reason why has Ubisoft been avoiding AZN settings like a plague.

Despite the formidable Sony hype machine I fully expect Ghost not only to fall below expectations but to outright lose Sony a pile of money.

you can forget about bloodborne, god of war, persona 5, last guardian,days gone, shadow of colossus, spider man, ghost of tsushima, uncharted or last of us. these are either system sellers or sony´s first party video games and they are not leaving ps4

Except Horizon Zero Dawn is both a system seller AND an internally developed Sony exclusive and it's coming to PC this summer. Plus 3rd party stuff like Nioh, Yakuza, Detroit or Death Stranding aren't exactly obscure Sony exclusives either. So maybe times they are a'changing? Which was the whole point of my post?

Btw I for one thing it is slightly MORE likely than not that both Bloodborne and GoW will come to PC when they inevitably get a 60 FPS remaster for PS5. Anyone wanna bet I'm game.
nigger nioh sold less than 3 mln on ps4. that is fucking peanuts and not system seller compared to God of war. GoW sold 5 mln in first month and 10 mln units in its first year. Uncharted is 16 mln, Spiderman 13, Last of Us 10 mln.

Yakuza franchise is fucking niche with 12 mln units sold overall since 2005 :lol::lol::lol: Sony is not changing at all and point was not about one or two exclusives coming to pc(which happened before like Bayonetta 1 or Vanquish) but supposed rumors of GoW being released on pc:lol:

GoW is more than likely to get rereleased on ps5 like the first three games got remastered editions. I doubt BB will get remaster as right know people are expecting Demons Souls remaster from Bluepoint Games and FromSoft has Elder Ring.

There's also that thing with the setting. Despite all those loud proclamations about how wonderful a Japanese Assassin Creed would be the reality of life is that Kwans and Yurofags are always more willing to splurge on games set in Yurop or the US. That is obviously the main reason why has Ubisoft been avoiding AZN settings like a plague.

Despite the formidable Sony hype machine I fully expect Ghost not only to fall below expectations but to outright lose Sony a pile of money.
:retarded: the fuck setting has to do with that? Sekiro was set in Japan and is best selling game right now for FromSoft. Ghost might have bland gameplay but has great visuals, setting that was asked for since Assasins Creed 2 and will be released before Valhala.

sullynathan

Arcane
Santa Monica and naughty dog made the big bucks. They can do 10 - 20 million copies per game.

Sucker punch usually made goofy games so this is their last of us/ God of War.
When more than two enemies surround you, they gently wait for you to kill them off one at a time. So, yeah, it's exactly like Assassin's Creed. One ticket to disappointment island, thanks!

Hack and slash fell out of favor two generations ago. Arkham/ Assassins creed/ Dark souls took over. If this game came out 10 - 15 years ago like inFAMOUS, it would play like some devil may cry and God of War hybrid.

Machocruz

Arcane

Yes I believe setting/theme are big factors in sales attraction, moreso than how rigorous or not combat is, how much handholding HUD wankery there is, etc. Forum proclamations are not a measure of mainstream market interest. I don't Does feudal Japan has the same cachet as zombie apoc, Marvel's #1 superhero, or European mythologies?

I don't think the game will do poorly, but rather my point is that my money is on content being king for the average consumer, not intricacies (or lack thereof) of mechanics. Simpleton shit is just the safe bet and at least hasn't proven to dissuade millions of people.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

That's my impression. I'm struggling to think of anything new this is bringing to the table after looking at the demo. Maybe farting in the wind to be guided to the next location?

Ghosts of popamole

Trotsky

Arcane
Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing. The visuals alone are some of the best I've seen in years. The gameplay might be formulaic but that's not a deal breaker for most. The story, setting, background, & history is the main appeal for this sort of game.

The conflict between the land based civilizations like Rome vs the sea based civilizations like Carthage was a reoccurring theme throughout human history with the land based powers mostly winning. Russia/America continue this land vs sea contest.

Japan is a sea based civilization in contrast to China which is a land based civilization. Most of the world's wealth was derived from land especially rich farmlands whose golden wheat and abundance enabled civilization like in the ancient middle east.

During the middle ages Europe was in the dark ages while Muslim/Chinese civilizations set world standards. It was Genghis Khan who unified the Mongol clans by abolishing tribal loyalties, class distinctions, gender disparities, and economic inequality.

The Mongol Empire during the game was at its apex having conquered/unified China into the Mongol Yuan dynasty. Pax Mongolica included everything from Mongolia itself to Bagdad in the west, Russia in the north, and China & Korea in the far east.

Europeans specializing in defensive warfare (knights/castles) resisted better but they too were destroyed. Mongol speed, horsemanship, archery, & communications were vastly superior. A Mongol conquest of Europe didn't occur due to royal succession.

The Mongols possessed advance siege technologies built by Chinese engineers, could easily breach most fortifications, made abundant use of fire based projectiles, and had mass exterminated nearly all who opposed them including the Assassin Order.

The Mongol conquest of the middle east completely destroyed a once lush, green, and irrigated land transforming it into a desert. The Mongol destruction of the Muslim world especially the eastern Islamic world & sack of Baghdad was extremely horrific.

The Mongols struggled to take certain Chinese kingdoms but in the end they all fell. Their only major defeat was at the hands of the Mameluke Sultanate of Egypt mostly because the Mongols were unprepared for deep desert warfare and lost decisively.

The Mongols reestablished the old Silk Road creating the biggest land based free trading zone in history. Together with their Venetian allies they created the first international reserve currency the Venetian gold/silver ducats making them immensely rich.

The famous Venetian explorer Marco Polo wrote about his travels across the middle east at this time as well as his voyage into China from the ports of Persia. He encountered strange & exotic peoples some of whom were outlawed by the Mongol Empire.

The Mongols were not militarily invincible anymore but they could still field massive armies the biggest & most well equipped of the period. They also had a first rate officer corp supplemented by tribute payments, local/regional allies, & vassal manpower.

Mongols were indifferent toward religion converting to Christianity even Islam but they were at their roots Shamanistic especially pro-Buddhist never destroying any Buddhist temples/monasteries. Japan being a total emulation of China seemed ripe to fall.

The Mongol invasion and conquest of Japan was inevitable and is one of the most important periods in Japanese history effectively stopping the Mongol's eastward expansion. The seas protected Japan inflicting a defeat the Mongols never recovered from.

Japan has never been conquered. Japan has the oldest monarchy in history whose bloodline/lineage is traced to antiquity. The Japanese believed themselves to be divinely protected and militarily invincible until the Empire of Japan was defeated in WW2.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The visuals are amazing, not to to a pure technical level but for the aesthetics. Playing a second playthrough with the black and white mode with Japanese VO Will be glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom