Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

RepHope

Savant
I don't get why they're just doing some lame reveal trailer. Is this supposed to be impressive? This isn't some team that only does a game every 5 or 10 years, this is Obsidian. There's nothing here beyond, I guess the setting and that its probably inspired by Skyrim.

To generate more HYPE for their Outer Worlds and Grounded announcements. Again it's similar to Bethesda's early announcement of TES6 in an otherwise boring year for them. "HEY WE'RE MAKING A SKYRIM and btw plz buy our games that are actually coming out soon."

Geee another garbage game coming out 2021.

I think this might be a 2022 game.
The game comes out at Xbox 1 as well. I think 2022, two years after the release of xbox x, is a little late for a cross-gen game.

2021 sounds more reasonable.
I thought they said this was next gen only? Also don’t forget about Covid. That shit isn’t going away any time soon, and that’s going to slow development down. 2022 seems like the earliest possible date if they’re actually making a AAA RPG.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't get why they're just doing some lame reveal trailer. Is this supposed to be impressive? This isn't some team that only does a game every 5 or 10 years, this is Obsidian. There's nothing here beyond, I guess the setting and that its probably inspired by Skyrim.

To generate more HYPE for their Outer Worlds and Grounded announcements. Again it's similar to Bethesda's early announcement of TES6 in an otherwise boring year for them. "HEY WE'RE MAKING A SKYRIM and btw plz buy our games that are actually coming out soon."

Geee another garbage game coming out 2021.

I think this might be a 2022 game.
The game comes out at Xbox 1 as well. I think 2022, two years after the release of xbox x, is a little late for a cross-gen game.

2021 sounds more reasonable.
I thought they said this was next gen only? Also don’t forget about Covid. That shit isn’t going away any time soon, and that’s going to slow development down. 2022 seems like the earliest possible date if they’re actually making a AAA RPG.
It depends how far in to development they are.

2house2fly

Magister
The first trailer for Outer Worlds was nearly a year before the game came out, and that actually had some gameplay in it

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Toned-down art-style, realistic equipment and firearms will be gone, because by Sawyer's estimation these killed Deadfire.

:M

This'll be set decades before PoE, 99% sure.

I disagree. Here's what killed Deadfire:

1) Five person party
2) A boring pirate setting
3) A confusing open world, map, and ship travel/combat that was an immediate turn off
4) For some reason, no fucking marketing.
5) Terrible narration. Seriously, it was just awful.

Bara

Arcane
Why even say it's set in Eora why not just say set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity?

I doubt much of anyone outside of the codex even knew the name of the planet. Or is this they're effort of trying to distance themselves enough from the Pilliars brand to attract the arpg enthusiasts while still trying to appease the isometric ones some how?

Anyhow whats the odds the exposition will be even worse now since I seriously doubt they're going to use they're hyperlink text short cut again like previous games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I knew they'd pull a Fallout 3. Probably wise to name it something else though. I'll be back with an opinion when we know literally anything about it, but considering Bethesda (the developer) is out in la-la-land somewhere, this will fill a gap for mainstream gamers I'm sure if they can get it out quick enough.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Toned-down art-style, realistic equipment and firearms will be gone, because by Sawyer's estimation these killed Deadfire.

:M

This'll be set decades before PoE, 99% sure.

I disagree. Here's what killed Deadfire:

1) Five person party
3) A confusing open world, map, and ship travel/combat that was an immediate turn off
PoE 1 killed Deadfire.

2house2fly

Magister
It's probably not as common as you might think for a five person party rather than a six person party to be a dealbreaker.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Just please give us melee combat that isn't mindless clickfest shit like TES. Let me control the direction of my sword swings and maybe work in some combos.

Quillon

Arcane
First person melee is a mistake, only Dying Light managed to make something out of it. I recommend stealth archer.

wahrk

Learned
Why even say it's set in Eora why not just say set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity?

PoE fans will know what it is, I doubt anyone else would care anyways. Eora can be whatever they want it to be.

1) Five person party

The setting was the least of its problems. Ship combat and lack of marketing maybe, but I don’t know about the rest of these.

cruelio

Augur
A new Obsidian first person rpg? Guess they're still trying to recreate their success with Fallout: New Vegas <- me before finding out it's going to be set in Pillars of Eternity setting

Huh. Guess they're doubling down on failure. <- me now

TheSoul

Scholar
Why do I expect anything from American developers. These game trailers keep trying to emulate movie trailers, but keep fucking it up.

I predict a year from now they'll show off "deep" romancable characters to grab the ubisoft degenerates.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who would have thought that years after Obsidian released New Vegas, game I liked very much and made me hope they will make a Skyrim clone, I would be totally indifferent to a news of them making one.

Codex Year of the Donut
You know what company I'd trust to make a skyrim clone?
Bethesda.
Something about that Todd Howard guy, he could sell me a skyrim clone 5 times and I'd buy it every time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom