Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Which will fail the hardest?

Which will turn out the worst?

• Baldur's Gate III

Votes: 25 8.2%
  • Kingmaker 2

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 60 19.7%
  • Bloodlines 2

Votes: 179 58.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

JDR13

Arcane
Avowed. I see it being an attempt to ape TES but with an engine that's not nearly as moddable. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I have.

Of course BG 3 or Bloodlines 2 will win the poll though due to the auto-hate created by massive amounts of nostalgia.

Aemar

Arcane
Bloodclots, by a landslide. At least Avoid is the first game in the series, so people will have somewhat lower expectations. Regarding BG3, no doubt most people will find it a worthy sequel to D:OS games, since I'm sure they never played any of the BG games to begin with, so they have no idea how the game should have been like. Pathfinder 2 will be alright.

Funposter

Arcane
All signs point to Bloodlines 2 being an abomination and at this point I want nothing to do with it. Avowed is an unknown, but if it ends up being anything resembling an actual RPG I will probably enjoy it because I like hiking simulators. Baldur's Gate 3 has a baseline level of quality following D:OS 1 and 2, so you probably know whether or not you'll enjoy it already. I'm not looking forward to it or anything, but I'm sure that I'll at least play it.

Wrath of the Righteous will be continued incline.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Unfortunately, Bloodlines is also my guess. Which is especially strange considering that the guy behind it is the same one behind the first title? What in the name of all that is holy happened?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh i voted for DOS3 because it will be shitty TB garbage game from larian. But it seems that if there is something that the codexers can't abide by,that is the fingerless gloves fetish!

Unfortunately, Bloodlines is also my guess. Which is especially strange considering that the guy behind it is the same one behind the first title? What in the name of all that is holy happened?

Nothing happened. Urban fantasy (i.e vampires & werewolves in high school) is fucking gay and has always been lame garbage that attracts these people to it. The original was a good game in spite of its setting. The only reason it wasn't more of a dyed-hair dumpster fire than it was is because the they/thems weren't as "developed" back then into what they are currently.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Nothing happened. Urban fantasy (i.e vampires & werewolves in high school) is fucking gay and has always been lame garbage that attracts these people to it. The original was a good game in spite of its setting. The only reason it wasn't more of a dyed-hair dumpster fire than it was is because the they/thems weren't as "developed" back then into what they are currently.

This isn't the real reason, though. Look at Pathfinder: Kingmaker - you have gay, lesbian and bisexual characters aplenty; polyamorous relationships; a lot of political ideas considered "leftist" - the whole shebang. And yet the game is excellent in every regard, as far as I'm concerned.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hm.
The thread title asks which one will fail the hardest, the actual poll which one will turn out the worst.
Those are two very different things.

I have a feeling Avowed might fail the hardest commercially. Even if the game was really good (who knows), I can't see the setting luring in that many people.

While Bloodlines 2 will no doubt turn out the worst - simply because it has Bloodlines 1 to live up to, which I don't think it can reach.

Though I don't think any of these games will completely flop commercially or completely suck* gameplay-wise.

Insert vampire joke yourself.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Hm.
The thread title asks which one will fail the hardest, the actual poll which one will turn out the worst.
Those are two very different things.

I have a feeling Avowed might fail the hardest commercially. Even if the game was really good (who knows), I can't see the setting luring in that many people.

While Bloodlines 2 will no doubt turn out the worst - simply because it has Bloodlines 1 to live up to, which I don't think it can reach.

Though I don't think any of these games will completely flop commercially or completely suck* gameplay-wise.

Insert vampire joke yourself.

If the setting of Eora were to have a snowball's chance in Hell of going "mainstream", they need to use the most exotic and non-standard elements of said universe. Originality is the key to drawing a bigger audience.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Oh lol I really expected this to be less clear cut. Well tiering this from most likely to fail to most likely to be good so you can laugh at me in a year for my shitty predicitions.

4. Bloodlines 2
The obvious easy pick. Has to follow in the footstepts of one of the greatest games of all time, and one of the very few games I consider to be 10/10. They developers to not appear to possess the talent to write at that level at all.

3. Avowed
I am fairly excited for this. I was a doomsayer for Obsidian never producing a proper rpg ever again after Outer Worlds just a few days ago, going into the Elder Scrolls genre is a sidestep I did not see coming. Its quite clever however, it is a genre you can only enter with a massive budget they now have, and one that has very little competition atm. How hard should it be to make a game that is more of an rpg than Skyrim or Oblivion? Obsi still has a few strengths like likeable characters and decently interesting side locations, which work very well to carve a niche in the genre they are trying to break into. Parvati, Eder and Vicar Max have more Charisma than the followers from all Elder Scrolls games combined. I would be very happy to see this succeed, meaning it has the potential to disappoint me the most.

2. BG 3
With all other 5e based games fucking up heavily by cutting vital features like multiclassing left and right BG3 is looking better and better every day. Larians biggest weakness is their incredibly shitty writing, and I see no reason why this would change this game. However I can appreciate a game purely for the combat if the story isnt good and (to a limited degree) vice versa. If the game is faithfull 5e DnD I am gonna be served very well.

1. Pathfinder 2
Very safe game. They have low development costs and a high expectation to follow up to. However Kingmaker had a horribly botched launch. Everything less than the game literally deleting your harddrive Ruins of Myth Drannor style will be completely forgiven since they turned Kingmaker around so well.
Man I love Bloodlines but 10/10 means perfect and I don't see how anyone can give it that rating simply because of the sewer level

edit: Also I agree with this list for the most part but switch BG3 and Avowed for me. Pathfinder probably will be the best here and it definitely will be if they don't add a bunch of pozzed characters like the first game.

They are already in Wrath of the Righteous. The first characters you run into in the Alpha are the stronk femail Half-Orc Captain that shares a tender moment with her wife.

Azdul

Magister
I voted Baldur's Gate 3, simply because it comes off as a lame Dragon Age-clone set in whatever version of DnD they're up to now. It looks like a game that shouldn't exist at all.
Licensing Baldur's Gate to Larian is like making third Fallout without Tim Cain or Black Isle.
Shame that Beamdog :shittydog: wasn't given a chance. Or BiowarEA :smug:.

Elex

Arbiter
Avowed will be the fantasy outer worlds: will sell a lot but: a meh game.
Bloodline will be a dumpster fire.
Elex 2 is going to be the best one.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Kingcomrade always delivers. Always.

Baldur's Gate III... It's just DOS3 by another name. The other 2 DOS games made a great success, even here on Codex. So even if some hate the series, you can't say that it will fail. Maybe it failed to be a Baldur's Gate game, no doubt about this, but everyone knew from the start that this would be the case.

Pathfinder idem. It made a considerable success, even more here than in other places. Those who hated it before will continue hating it now, but this is valid for all games here - "we" hate everything. It will not fail too, in that sense.

Now, Both Avowed and Bloodlines 2 will have terrible stories, without any soul and with themes directed to social justice fans based on the remaining writers in their respective companies. Uninspired is the least anyone can expect. What's left is the gameplay, and I don't see how anyone can think gameplay has any chance of being better. The only difference here is that one of these two games uses a legendary name and the other is just another generic name. If two games fail in similar proportions, the one that had a legacy to carry certainly had a more serious failure.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
They are already in Wrath of the Righteous. The first characters you run into in the Alpha are the stronk femail Half-Orc Captain that shares a tender moment with her wife.
Either a cargo-cult symptom or elements specially added to appeal to Western audience. Because, "no gays" equals "sexist" and "no blacks" equals "racist" today, amirite?

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
bg3 - it's dnd, can't be that bad. some people here like nvn2 right?
pathfinder - I'm a believer
avoid - you can tell there's still some talent at obsidian, it's just drowned out by retarded direction. game will be bad because tes is a trash genre, but there might be some cool stuff in there
bloodlines 2 - actual dumpster fire
king - comrade

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Either a cargo-cult symptom or elements specially added to appeal to Western audience. Because, "no gays" equals "sexist" and "no blacks" equals "racist" today, amirite?

No, Paizo writing. The faggotry is in the AP.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll say Bloodlines - I mean: are vampires even a thing anymore? Sexy vampires will always be a thing, so unless they have a VV hidden in there - I ain't buying. BG3 will do great - too much name recognition to do otherwise. The others, even if they fail, won't be too high a drop.

bloodlover

Arcane
Bloodlines for sure, people seem to agree on this the most. BG3 divided people a lot but at the end of the day it will still probably be a good DOS3 game.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Not sure what's the point of having Avowed on this list since we know nothing about the game.
BG3 will be competently made like all of Larian/Swen's games with the potential of being a really unique D&D experience.
WOTR is Kingmaker is improved Kingmaker but we don't know anything about the army management which could make or break the game.
Bloodlines 2, on the other hand, is a game by an inexperienced studio that doesn't seem to realise that their project is too big for them.

Radech

Augur
Personally I'm mostly looking forward to BG3, because it has multiplayer and the engine is good - played DOS multiplayer murderhobo style, so really didn't notice much of the writing, except when they removed the cheese guy. With added DnD rules (Div was the spark that finally allowed me to convince my friends to try out pnp, so should be a hoot with familiar rules) - the most important thing is barrels and combining spell effects though, so I hope they have some homerules ready(I can steal afterwards).

Kingmaker will probably be ok like it's predecessor, if the recent turnbased mode for the first one turns out to be a great success, maybe they'll even look into retuning some encounters to make combat a bit more interesting.

Obsidian is dead and gone, but maybe they can get close to decent walking simulator, at least the bar is low...

Bloodlines 2, just please don't. I would love to be surprised, but this only has the potential to be the biggest pile of shite since Fallout:BOS...

Mark Richard

Arcane
Bloodlines 2 will achieve a modicum of commercial success, before sales drop off a cliff and the game is promptly forgotten. Between the unenthused voice acting, lifeless animation, and stilted dialogue, you'll struggle to remember a single character. The writing will seem paralysed by the legacy of its forbearer.

Baldur's Gate III will do great and be regarded as such by everybody except a handful of dissenters who claim its merely a reskinned D:OS2. In response Swen patches D:OS2's armour system into BG3 and replaces all in-game portraits with an image of himself flipping the bird.

Kingmaker 2 will almost be playable on release. It'll get more attention from the games press, but critics will continue to turn their noses up at the survival elements which are meant to reflect the bleak and oppressive environment Russian game developers call home.

Avowed? Its one announcement trailer. I'm not a seer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom