Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2923279

Dev Journal | August 2020 - The World of Solasta

Hello folks,

We're back with a new Dev Update (to the surprise of no one, I'd imagine)! Summer is really hitting us hard in Paris, with the temperature rising fairly high. With no air conditioning for those working from home, we have to rely on good old fans to keep us alive in these harsh times. And we're not the only ones...

3e700f454e1264cf71378bfa303220f1_original.png

Our fluffy friends are also victims of the hot weather

Video Dev Diary - The World of Solasta
Lore fans rejoice - this Dev Diary is an interview with one of our writers about the World of Solasta. Come to learn more about Solasta, its history, geography and religion - and enjoy the beautiful Concept Art as a bonus!

Solasta at Gamescom & Indie Arena Booth 2020!
We're happy to announce that Tactical Adventures will be present at Gamescom and Indie Arena Booth 2020! Both events will take place from Thursday August 27th to Sunday August 30th - and everyone is welcome to join, since everything will be available online with no fees attached! We will be sharing more information as we get closer to those events, so keep an eye on our newsfeed.

7c56a87512f6565ec4316e290a2f9a37_original.png

The Tactical Adventures Digital Booth is open for business!

Do I Roll One or Two Dice?
Let's start by showing off one of the most requested feature during the Steam Summer Festival: A tooltip telling you why you have advantage / disadvantage (or when they cancel out). Many of you highlighted the fact that it wasn't always obvious why you were rolling with advantage or disadvantage (most often the latter), and thus couldn't adapt your next turn to avoid running into the same problem. Well, we just implemented a first version to help you with that (WIP as usual)!

8c5a695978fb738fbda06f493eda46e7_original.jpeg

Here I have neither advantage nor disadvantage because the conditions cancel each other out (unlit = no light)
Onwards, to new spell options!
We're very frequently showing off new spells in all their VFX glory, but we haven't often talked about what goes on behind them. In fact, creating new spells is fairly simple in our editor... as long as the options are already coded. Want to add Cone of Cold to the game? No problem, cone-AoE already exists thanks to Burning Hands. Adding Shatter? We already have sphere-AoE with Fireball. You get the idea.

However, what happens when the spell introduces something new? Something as seemingly simple as a new shape to tackle now has to go through the hands of our programmers (especially our graphic programmer) to make sure it's implemented properly for our game designers to play with. It's the same whenever you want to add a new effect - and let us tell you, there are a LOT of spells with very singular effects...

eeb278b96852fe55a8d0e38cddd489cc_original.png

Cylinder & Wall AoE spells can now be added to Solasta!
32cdb440d0f41848c21c2a816fee5e79_original.png

Vampiric Touch may seem very straightforward, but you can keep using it every turn for 1 min (or until you lose concentration)

To name just a few, we've recently added spells like Create Food and Water (generating new items in your inventory), Fear (forcing players / AI to run away), See Invisibility / Invisibility (handling combat / AI behaviour against invisible enemies) and Stinking Cloud (forcing players / AI to pass their turn if they fail).As you can see, most spells at higher level always bring their fair share of headache if we don't properly prepare beforehand!

Anyway, let's end this section with some new spells that are fully dressed and ready to be shown to the world.

75ec8aed573e06ad781d855a38ac1699_original.gif

Misty Step, 2nd level spell, conjuration
2978a3d01f59f2af6c7e5ed5fd931eb9_original.gif

Stinking Cloud, 3rd level spell, conjuration

See Through Upgrade
Gone should be the days where the walls would work against our poor old camera, for we now have the power of... transparency!

d6fc53a39630acee3d6127f7b9464547_original.gif

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. Better than it was before. We have the technology

Keep your Art close, but your Artists closer
We all know what time it is... Art time!

02682b11318c8340cd5fddfb9d99d571_original.png

High Poly model of our Wight. See folks, that's what happens if you don't listen to your dentist
07d0c7e8c34d56546755861843efa476_original.jpeg

Concept Art for a monastery. Necromancer for scale. Wait, what was your Investigation roll again?
c4714878b2c3ee7351191f246af098da_original.png

So hmmm... Remind me your passive perception score? Oh, no reason really
146e3c8205d50f0988a2a90c0b8f615c_original.jpg

Something is brewing deep inside that castle... brewing... get it? If you groaned, roll 1d6 psychic damage
4bf684a485a1f24233f868658f6312c0_original.png

Our Ghoul, ready to be implemented in-game. Laugh all you want, you'll fail that Constitution saving throw at some point
2c48da88df3d3064fb202479a5528745_original.gif

First version of the Ghoul's idle animation

That's it for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Read our previous articles here:
Article by Tactical Myzzrym

V_K

Arcane
It's sure starting to look like having a cat was a hiring requirement to work at Tactical Adventures :incline:
Though given Solasta's focus on verticality it actually makes a lot of sense. Who better to understand vertical movement than cat owners?

V_K

Arcane
I wonder how a kickstarter run solely on cat power would do. With rewards like "a signed cat pic" ($50 tier), "exclusive cat video shot just for you" ($250 tier), or "you get to pet the developer's cat" ($5000 tier). And for a $1 mil stretch goal the dev could promise to adopt a second (third etc.) cat.

Bara

Arcane
Shorter updated today but damn does that undead skeleton animation look good

Dev Update #19 - Rise of the Undead
Hello folks,

As usual, the Dev Update following a video is going to be a slightly shorter one. I hope you enjoyed our discussion with Antoine about the lore of Solasta, the video was very interesting to work on. We've had to trim quite a few answers to avoid entering spoiler territory of course, you'll have to forgive us for that. Another challenge was that my co-workers were definitely not being cooperative during the editing stage, as can be seen in the picture below.

etP30Lw0no8FcJYahdR2pUZI6Baz3dp563RBKiIo.png

Excuse me, I'm trying to work here

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night!

When diving in ruins in search for treasure, always think of bringing a cleric - for oftentimes they will be crawling with undeads! Today we'll be showing quite a few of them, from the lowly Skeletons to the more threatening Broods. What is a Brood you ask? Well, stay tuned for more another time...

hyFXiKpBJlIFArDzYH4aLpIaLn6tOvCIgBmW15hv.gif

Look at those moves! This skeleton must have been a bard in its prime

qraFSdNb1QnJFqIOWY7zgRfSXAn9GtjYM1QTKY9s.gif

Ghast bro just wants to hug you, but doesn't really know how to
TgsaPqTaAiOk5SAN9lutldUibjmLq7sHp8PHCwIZ.jpeg

The Wight is nearing completion, and will soon haunt the Badlands as well!
PDdY8vw3EYdoToRnCHrEW0w16JtyjpAPNXsz8XJ5.png

Rough sketch of our different Broods - Blood Brood, Dread Brood and Flesh Brood. Still very much WIP for now!

All of these new folks need a home, wouldn't you say? Fret not, we've been working on great looking environments as usual. They won't be sleeping in the dusty wastelands!

x2s8vazFH1Mics0NVDSV0GNQ5LVP34VPmb6TGhKg.jpeg

"I see nothing but a cloud of dust in the sun, and the green grass." "Grass? Really?"
17kApfLxPkGJRXypc14afzXsLJPV9ZJfbJEkvhyh.jpeg

"Well, I really think we're lost this time." "Rolling a 1 on Survival probably didn't help either, eh?"

Hocus Pocus aka Abracadabra

We've got more spells incoming for you! We're now starting to tackle 3rd level spells, some of which we talked about in our Dev Update #18 as they are quite different from what we already have in game. For instance, Create Food and Water add rations to your backpack - and as you can imagine, adding items to your inventory with a spell opens the door to a whole new world of bugs and exploits (and modding...?). Similarly, Bestow Curse is our first spell with options, as you have to choose which ability score to curse when casting the spell! And last but not least, Revivify - the staple of any adventuring crew that does not want to lose a party member - has been added to keep the Game Overs away!

6XvgtR1YsRb4stgOG3vHZdAQWSVr2hdoyeISzf52.gif

Create Food and Water, 3rd level spell, Conjuration

OufW8sl9JY9hpuytycU1zJoNukJ79vRCLGKlhsfn.gif

Bestow Curse, 3rd level spell, Necromancy

IPjrIN7yA5lmLkT4JiRbHIm8gvD9fN7rE1rQ50MV.gif

Revivify, 3rd level spell, Necromancy

That's it for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom