Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's what 'the band' (the guys from Blackisle, Interplay, etc) should have done 10 years ago: set up a kickstarter with a 10 year plan. Let the community know that it may never be finished, and that they were working on a game in their free time. Expect us mugs to tip them a pint, the cost of their families birthday presents, or a few bucks for a lapdance at their local striptease club every now-and-again - on the assumption that some of that money would go towards 'the game'.

After 10-15 years, maybe something magical materializes, maybe it doesn't. In the mean time they continue working on their careers and doing whatever it takes to ensure they have a quality of life and a decent retirement. Maybe we all end up playing the game in our old age. In any case; I'm sure whatever game they managed to fabricate would have been better if we had to play it in our dotage, in comparison to the Kickstarter 'renaissance' and sequels we've seen over the past decade or so.
:positive:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Here's what 'the band' (the guys from Blackisle, Interplay, etc) should have done 10 years ago: set up a kickstarter with a 10 year plan. Let the community know that it may never be finished, and that they were working on a game in their free time. Expect us mugs to tip them a pint, the cost of their families birthday presents, or a few bucks for a lapdance at their local striptease club every now-and-again - on the assumption that some of that money would go towards 'the game'.

After 10-15 years, maybe something magical materializes, maybe it doesn't. In the mean time they continue working on their careers and doing whatever it takes to ensure they have a quality of life and a decent retirement. Maybe we all end up playing the game in our old age. In any case; I'm sure whatever game they managed to fabricate would have been better if we had to play it in our dotage, in comparison to the Kickstarter 'renaissance' and sequels we've seen over the past decade or so.
:positive:

That sounds like a great idea, until you think about it deeply and realize that it will never, ever result in a game, much less a game that codex would like.

It's just throwing money at people you like.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tyranicon Yeah, but all things considered, they deserve it. I need to go over my entire library of games now to ensure I've got physical copies, or digitally backed up copies of all my favourite games. As I expect they'll all be on the purge list in the coming years.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

What they should do is to fund one fun RPG game with all the names involved. The whole purpose creation of the game would be to create an engine in vein of Neverwinter Nights for which it would be very simple to create new adventures with little budget. Then each of them could head release a game every 1-2 years using that engine. This could go for 10 years of something. Fans would just keep buying games since they don't really mind outdated graphics and such.
Then on year 8 they could start a Kickstarter for a v2 engine.
The first game should also have editor which would be very easy to use for general public so that they could hire young designers of quality adventures.

jungl

Augur
Video game industry it is easy to lose your job. Especially if you working for paradox interactive the Scandinavian jews gaming company that has $1000 DLC content for their games. These cheap viking niggas wish they could bonk brian dead in the head till blood comes pouring out his nose and ears but settled with firing him. He does deserve better treatment and its not his fault if the game comes out janky as fuck considering it hardsuit labs and blacklight is the only decent game they released.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yep, the chances of it becoming the same cringe fail as Numenera increase
Numale era was bad not because of its writing, but because its buggy as fuck and combat was unsatisfying. Writing was overdone if anything, bloated with long dull descriptions of insignificant characters and things. The last word that came to mind when playing was "cringe", it wasn't cringe, it was just jank.
Numenera literally had no redeeming qualities or anything close to resembling a game that is fun or deep in any way shape or form. The only good thing it had is it was easily forgettable

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What else exactly has Cara Ellison worked on?
I know she did the writing on Void Bastards. Wasn't bad.

Haven't played the game, but first thing on wikipedia for Void Bastards is "received mostly positive reviews from critics, who praised its comic-book art style, dark humor, and gameplay, but criticized its lackluster story and replay value." Not too confidence inspiring.

Maybe I was being too harsh in my first post. I don't know the first thing about this woman, but senior writer on a RPG matters more than senior writer on Fortnite. Some credentials are in order.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
There is a 100% chance that any game involving Cara Ellison as a, now the key, writer would be despised by the Codex. Not even in question. I don't particularly dislike her but if you read her RPS content there's no way you could think she and the Codex would get along.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
even they realize how fucking embarrassing it'd be to have to admit your game's writing is being headed by a fucking game journo (Cara Ellison) now.

She (?) worked on Dishonored 2 so she(?) already got some cred, even if there was dicksucking involved.
I'm sure their current target audience would prefer a stronk woman (?) over a wyte.
The problem is that role for D2 was a "consultant" one to my understanding so they must be really grasping for fucking straws if that's the case.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The "story" in Void Bastards can be summed up in 15 words. It's a popcorn game about looting spaceships in a comedy dystopia to try to put together the proper paperwork that allows you to be alive. (Spoiler, they kill you at the end anyway.) It would have been dumb to try to make it into some epic narrative. Moment to moment writing was certainly good enough for what the setting demanded.

I certainly agree that doing the writing for a game like Void Bastards won't win you a Pulitzer. Just saying, she has done more than write an RPS column.

Fair enough, although I have to say that the pedigree for the development here is... underwhelming at best. A studio best known for a multiplayer FPS with a lead writer that has a notable work history for being a journo and writing for a shooter.... is now attempting to revive a narrative-heavy cult RPG.

Ehhhhhhhh....

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Has Mitsoda done anything particularly noteworthy other than being partly responsible for Bloodlines 1? Honest question, because while I love that game the fanboying over him personally is kind of odd to me. Everything else he's touched has been shit according to Wikipedia.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Has Mitsoda done anything particularly noteworthy other than being partly responsible for Bloodlines 1? Honest question, because while I love that game the fanboying over him personally is kind of odd to me. Everything else he's touched has been shit according to Wikipedia.
I think it's less of fanboying over the guy itself and just more of the fact that the one and only connection this sequel had to the original is just gone now (plus given that Avellone's small writing stuff was already cut a month ago), it basically comes down to Cara Ellison's writing which well...

2QOShnk.png

Also while it is true that his writing is still there, it's sort of a lose/lose. The guy hasn't really done much after BL1 as you just said and anything we do know he's done (Dead State) was lukewarm at best. On the other, if his writing is completely gone, it's all Ellison probably filling in the blanks like it's fucking MadLibs or something until whenever the game is out since we don't have a definite date other than 2021 (most likely, rewrites of some kind will happen if it goes past Q1 2021).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The guy hasn't really done much after BL1 as you just said and anything we do know he's done (Dead State) was lukewarm at best.
Disagree - while Dead State wasn't brilliant from beginning to end, much of the writing was memorable and good. Characters like Fiona, Grant, Troy, and Max had some fascinating conflicts. Sir Charleston was good fun too. No particular reason to believe Mitsoda's pen is out of ink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom