Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember M1 being that hard, except the endgame, taking place at an airport I think.

You could die pretty quick and the checkpoints were sometimes quite far apart. I don't remember it being hard, more just frustrating at times because of that.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Saw the intro mission, the getaway drive. Looks horrible, full of scripted sequenses, minimap tells you all the time where to go. They upped up the car speed for sure.

Currently watching this. And holy shit the voice acting sounds worse with every line. Paulie is all around HORRIBLE!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alas, Paulie is indeed fucked up. The rest of VO is top notch.

Overall looks p. good, way better than I feared. Re-recorded soundtrack is grate. Animations and face mo-cap are wonky at times.

Unfortunately I can't find anyone streaming the Classic difficulty. Goddamn journos.

Graphics look pretty good. Rest is hard to stomach. Popamolization and complete revoicing and rewriting of the game, ugh. This used to be my favorite game back when I was a noob PC gamer in 2003, there's no way I can be fine with that. And I best not read jewtube comments, to avoid seeing crap like "I can't wait to play this old classic for the first time in its best edition!".

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Graphics look pretty good. Rest is hard to stomach. Popamolization and complete revoicing and rewriting of the game, ugh. This used to be my favorite game back when I was a noob PC gamer in 2003, there's no way I can be fine with that. And I best not read jewtube comments, to avoid seeing crap like "I can't wait to play this old classic for the first time in its best edition!".

We need a NostalgiaFaggotryPride button.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Nah not good enough the racecar can actually steer. You're not going to break my keyboard like the original did with this remake.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The driving lost all of its charm. The cars used to feel really heavy and accelerated slowly. Now it's just some generic crap.
I guess they had to modernise and put a modern Audi motor into them.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
It’s the same problem as you see more and more now, in GTA and Red Dead multiplayer for example. The movement and driving is much too fast and frenetic, totally weightless. It feels dreamlike.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
"We don't want to bore you with a game, so cheatengine's built right into the movie."

I don't remember M1 being that hard, except the endgame, taking place at an airport I think.

You could die pretty quick and the checkpoints were sometimes quite far apart. I don't remember it being hard, more just frustrating at times because of that.
Most games were like that.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Most games were like that.
Nah, Mafia has some assholish enemy placement very reminiscent of early 2000-s Eastern European shooter games. Like, you enter a room and greeted with a shotgun blast to your back. With the game being quite unforgiving with no health regen and no medkits in every corner, that required some knowledge of where enemies are or being very careful. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Gook

Novice
It looks like they also added in "pursuit breakers" since in Mafia 3 in any kind of car chase your pursuers, including cops, would be glued to the back of your car and almost impossible to outrun if you didn't kill them. A weird way to solve the problem.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron

Just got around to watching this, just some bits and pieces here and there. I wish I could say something positive about it, but to me it quite frankly looks like complete and utter shit except for the visuals. They can't even get the cinematics right. Just check out the gas station cutscene at 1:16:11 and compare it to the original (at 4:39 in the video below):

I guess the two scenes technically have the same things if you approach them with a checklist in hand, but the remake ends up being worse in every conceivable way. It lacks the lengthy, atmospheric build-up of the original and as a result has zero dramatic punch, and the music is so pitiful it's got to be some sort of placeholder stuff. They're remaking a cinematic game and completely drop the ball in the defining scene of the whole mission, like they just weren't in the mood for doing it or something.

Gameplay-wise it looks the same as has been discussed before. All the different gameplay aids are worse than AIDS, but at least the game should be playable without most of that stuff, so it gets a pass for now. Shooting is generic modern popamole, and vehicle combat means autoaim with infinite ammo. You can't even aim at the tyres, for fuck's sake... Yeah, it all totally screams "Definitive Edition" to me.

They also actually went and used the Wilhelm scream at 9:59. Not sure if it's supposed to be a joke like the rest of this thing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess the two scenes technically have the same things if you approach them with a checklist in hand, but the remake ends up being worse in every conceivable way. It lacks the lengthy, atmospheric build-up of the original and as a result has zero dramatic punch, and the music is so pitiful it's got to be some sort of placeholder stuff. They're remaking a cinematic game and completely drop the ball in the defining scene of the whole mission, like they just weren't in the mood for doing it or something.

I agree on the dramatic tension, but pause that long in a modern game and the kids will be playing Fornite on their phones by the time they have control again. I think the new one's cinematic is better in pretty much every other way though, from graphics (obviously) to animation and voice performance.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah that autoaim garbage with infinite ammo... Seriously what the hell? They had time to add all the popamole crap, but cut out a feature that was in the original 18 years ago. It's a game about driving and shooting, but you can't properly shoot while driving lol

Lemming42

Arcane
Haha, oh god, the car chase is total shit now. Even putting aside the fact you can't fucking aim while driving now, what the hell is up with the random enemy cars arriving out of nowhere to take you out? Where the fuck were those guys during the big motel shootout? Stealth takedowns are just comical too, laughed out loud when Tommy pulled the guy over the bar like a fucking AssCreed protagonist.

Still, it'll be fun to see all the old areas reimaged with modern graphics. I do think they've really got the 1930s American hellhole feel down perfectly and the world will be a lot of fun to roam around in.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Still, it'll be fun to see all the old areas reimaged with modern graphics. I do think they've really got the 1930s American hellhole feel down perfectly and the world will be a lot of fun to roam around in.

Mafia is such an immersionfag game it will be helped by a graphics enhancement more than most. The gameplay was never the reason to play it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The remake is full of immersion-destroying new features, though. Also... the gameplay is the most important part of an "immersive" game.

I mean these are flexible terms, so it depends what we're talking about. Yes obviously "gameplay" like walking the girl home is part of Mafia's immersion focus, and if that is different then it makes a big impact. However if we're talking cover-based Mafia 2 style shooting versus the original's, then I don't think it matters much.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just watched a full playthrough of the preview build (which includes everything up to and including Fairplay, then apparently skips ahead to a Trip to the Country and ends there).

Main question I have is what the hell is the story actually about now? The original game is pretty clearly about Tommy and his attempts to be vaguely morally upstanding while doing increasingly terrible things, and eventually deciding "fuck it" and turning against the Salieri family. New Tommy is just a violent asshole* who's eager to sign up and doesn't seem to give much of a fuck about anything that's happening. With Tommy's character reduced to that, what's the point of the story? Did the writers even like Mafia 1? Paulie and Sam are fucked now, too - Paulie's a straight-up psycho (rather than the more subtle nastiness he had in the original) and Sam is, uh, also a psycho (rather than the weirdly distant cold guy who's clearly going to turn on you one day).

*Molotov Party is Tommy's idea in the remake. What the fuck? In the original game the whole point of the briefing scene is that he's frightened and being essentially forced to join, and Frank and Salieri even have a conversation about how "hesitant" he is. In the remake, he actively fucking insists on joining the mafia to "get those bastards who wrecked my taxi". I don't get it, the story of Mafia 1 was entirely about a semi-decent person trying his best to navigate being an agent of a terrible organisation, whereas now it's about... a dickhead who gets into fights with people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom